Author Topic: 2 small medication questions  (Read 5847 times)

Offline Greekman

• Survival Demonstrator
  • New TSP Forum member
2 small medication questions
« on: September 11, 2012, 02:13:47 PM »
hi all!
I have two small questions (steming from my med supplies).

1. Is there a method to turn Betadine cream to Betadine solution and is there a reason for? (my supplies have 2 of each)

2. Can Algesal cream be used -and in conjuction with Ibuprofen taken oraly- for sprains?
http://www.drugs.com/international/algesal.html active ingredients are 10%+1% respectively
Or should another type of should be used?

Offline Greekman

• Survival Demonstrator
  • New TSP Forum member
Re: 2 small medication questions
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2012, 10:04:58 AM »
bumpit bump!

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
  • TSP Supreme Galactic Ant
  • Dont wait for the storm to pass, dance in the rain
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2012, 10:33:15 AM »
1. Is there a method to turn Betadine cream to Betadine solution and is there a reason for? (my supplies have 2 of each)

No you can't. One is like an apple and one is like an orange. Two different things, same brand name. Solution is a red-orange liquid for cleaning wounds and flushing (it is also not Betadine scrub which has soap in it for prepping for surgery)... and DO NOT get it on anything white that you ever want white again. The cream is an emulsified version of Povidone to stick like Neosporin to a minor injury to prevent infection.

Why would you want to change one into the other out of curiosity?

On your other question, I do not see why not, but DO NOT take my advice here as sage, I am not familiar with the product or any other medical issues you or the other person who might be doing this combination has. However, there should be a warning label on on the box or in the insert to let you know any possible contraindications.

Cedar

Offline DrJohn

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Call on God, but row away from the rocks.
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2012, 01:56:15 PM »
2. Can Algesal cream be used -and in conjunction with Ibuprofen taken orally- for sprains?
http://www.drugs.com/international/algesal.html active ingredients are 10%+1% respectively

These are both NSIADs.  I would be very wary of using them together as it would be difficult to determin how much was absorbed through the skin, and could cause you to significantly exceed the recommended dose.

Offline Greekman

• Survival Demonstrator
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2012, 02:01:59 PM »
Cedar,
cos i thought they were the same. The plan to use the cream as a solution when if i run out of.

DrJohn,
I see.....
If you were taking Ibu oraly with what kind of cream would yuo assist topically? A heating one ? (do not knwo how they are called in the US)
A mmore general question. Is it a good idea to stimulate blood circulation in the area? If yes with what means of?

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
  • TSP Supreme Galactic Ant
  • Dont wait for the storm to pass, dance in the rain
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2012, 05:49:33 PM »
Cedar,
cos i thought they were the same. The plan to use the cream as a solution when if i run out of.

If you have farm stores there, get a gallon of it from there and you should be good for YEARS under normal circumstances. A pint bottle lasts me for 5? Get the generic brand.

Cedar

Offline DrJohn

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2012, 06:23:58 PM »
For a muscle strain I would apply a cold pack for 20 minutes on then 20 off for the first 24 hours, then follow this with heat 20 on 20 off to aid healing.  For a salve or cream youmvannuse bengay or something similar.

Offline FreeLancer

• Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2012, 11:01:00 PM »
2. Can Algesal cream be used -and in conjuction with Ibuprofen taken oraly- for sprains?

Like DrJohn said, you should stay away from mixing NSAIDs, even the topical forms have enough systemic absorption to get you into trouble.  The main concern is gastric bleeding and possibly kidney disease from overdosing on this type of drug.  Yes, you will feel less pain by increasing the dose, but it's not worth worth the risk of pooping out enough blood to require a transfusion, and it can happen after just a few days.

There was recent study that found 200mg of ibuprofen taken together with 500mg of acetaminophen provided equivalent or better pain relief to many of the prescription painkillers and NSAIDs, with a dramatically lower risk of side effects, in the majority of post operative patients.  It sounds hard to believe, but the data seems good.

Offline Rorschach

• Survivor
  • ...sombody knows why. Somebody knows!
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2012, 11:15:43 PM »
Also NSAIDs can interact with other medications.  Many block the heart protective effect of aspirin.  Taking NSAIDs together with ACE inhibitiors(lisinopril, or generic any name ending in '-pril'), Angiotensin Receptor Blocker(many with the generic name ending in '-sartan'), or newer class of medications called Direct Renin Inhibitors(Tekturna) are even harder on the kidneys because the medication both decrease the blood flow to the kidneys by different mechanisms.

Offline Greekman

• Survival Demonstrator
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2012, 02:38:03 AM »
indeed..the issue has goen beyong the common man kwoledge etc.

Regarding DRJohn's suggestion of youmvannuse bengay
though Google craps out when  youmvannuse isa dded I did find the Bengay cream.
It has "Methyl Salicylate, Menthol, Camphor."

An I to assume that the Salicylate is there to vaso-expand? Some thing as aspirin isn't it?

Offline DrJohn

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2012, 05:44:13 AM »
Some forms of bengay only contain menthol as the active ingredient. Those with aspirin like ingredients would act on the same pathways as other NSIADs.  Again use with caution.  I am sorry for RXing this brand, it was a poor example.