Author Topic: Should this baby tooth be pulled?  (Read 4597 times)

Offline cheryl1

• Survival Demonstrator
    • Russell Honey
Should this baby tooth be pulled?
« on: July 28, 2012, 01:12:23 PM »
A work friend of mine noticed a small cavity on one of her 3yo daughter's molars. The dentist told her that the inside of the tooth had never formed, and that she will need a root canal. They plan on tying her arms and feet together, cocooning her in a restraint, and putting her in a head and jaw restraint to complete this procedure. The tooth is giving this child no pain or problems. She asked my opinion on what I would do if it was my toddler.

My first thought was NO! I can't imagine the lenghts this child will go to to avoid any dental care for the rest of her life if forced into this at such a young age. And since it's not giving her any problems, why not wait until she's older to do this? OR wait until November (when we resign up for benefits) and pick up the dental insurance, which would cover having the procedure done under conscious sedation in the hospital. The mom is a nurse, so she would be able to keep an eagle eye on the tooth for any abscess formation.

Am I wrong? Should this be done? At the very least I would think a second opinion would be in order. What say ya'll?

Offline bdhutier

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Defensor libertas
Re: Should this baby tooth be pulled?
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2012, 01:26:17 PM »
I'd say no as well.  My cost/benefit analysis came up snake-eyes...

Offline Vulcan

• Senior Survivalist
    • My 13-In-13 Page
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2012, 03:58:55 PM »
I would say no. As long as the child isn't in pain and it won't cause any long term problems run just leave it.

Offline DrJohn

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Call on God, but row away from the rocks.
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2012, 04:00:04 PM »
As I have not seen the patient this post is only based on the information you provided. 

Papoose boards are a bit outdated in my professional opinion.  If the tooth must come out for medical reasons, this is a OR case, with full sedation.  They should also place a space-maintainer as well.  Waiting three months COULD lead to damage to the developing perment tooth, or even a facial space infection. 

Tell her to get a 2nd opinion.

Offline Morning Sunshine

• Geese Smuggling Moonbat
  • Survival Veteran
  • There are no mistakes, just Learning Experiences
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2012, 04:51:43 PM »
honestly, my son likes the papoose board.  it helps him relax. dunno why - it would drive me crazy.

as far as the tooth, I would watch it.  AND get a second opinion from a new dentist.

Offline Bob Spelled Backwards

• Survivor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2012, 05:36:36 PM »
Ditto on the second opinion.....     

Plus this topic reminds me of a Documentary I watched recently about kids and our broken Dental Health Care System.  Not saying this pertains exactly to your friends case but it may.

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/dollars-and-dentists/

Offline chickchoc

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2012, 06:44:00 PM »
I also vote on leaving the tooth alone for now, but keeping a close watch for abcesses, etc.

My son had very soft baby teeth and almost all his molars had cavities.  We didn't bother to fill them until they caused trouble.  When his permanent teeth came in we discovered there was no "bud" for one of his permanent molars.  Nothing gave him trouble and we waited until he was 18 to begin the process for a dental implant.  By that time, he had had the baby tooth removed (the root was nearly totally absorbed and the tooth was in danger of breaking off).  After removal, his jaw thinned in the empty space thus requiring a bone graft before the other dental appliance could be installed.  **sigh**  After all of thess complications with my son, I still recommend waiting until there is a medical necessity before going with serious dental procedures for a toddler.

Just my 2 cents' worth...

Offline FreeLancer

• Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2012, 07:42:47 PM »
I'd get a second opinion, and, if it needs to come out, take the kid to the OR for the procedure.  Going with the papoose board for this type of procedure will be horribly traumatic for everyone.

Offline cheryl1

• Survival Demonstrator
    • Russell Honey
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2012, 05:09:15 AM »
Ditto on the second opinion.....     

Plus this topic reminds me of a Documentary I watched recently about kids and our broken Dental Health Care System.  Not saying this pertains exactly to your friends case but it may.

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/dollars-and-dentists/
I remember seeing that. scary

Offline cheryl1

• Survival Demonstrator
    • Russell Honey
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2012, 05:12:55 AM »
She is going to get a second opinion, and is planning on waiting until January (insurance kicks in) to do any procedure that might be necessary. Also planning on sedating rather than restraining for whatever needs done. We talked a lot about instilling a lifelong fear of dentists/doctors in a child, and the long-term consequences for her health if that happens. She says she just gets sick to her stomach thinking about making her toddler go through that, and that is always a sign that you're about to make the wrong decision. Thanks for the input everyone, appreciate it!

Offline Robinelli

• Survivalist Mentor
  • The purpose of life is a life of purpose
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2012, 01:03:24 PM »
If there are any updates to this before then please post them.

Offline archer

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Survival Veteran
  • #ImissAmerica
    • Journey to Greener Pastures
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2012, 01:49:18 PM »
She is going to get a second opinion, and is planning on waiting until January (insurance kicks in) to do any procedure that might be necessary. Also planning on sedating rather than restraining for whatever needs done. We talked a lot about instilling a lifelong fear of dentists/doctors in a child, and the long-term consequences for her health if that happens. She says she just gets sick to her stomach thinking about making her toddler go through that, and that is always a sign that you're about to make the wrong decision. Thanks for the input everyone, appreciate it!

good idea. i have an adult friend who went thru traumatic dental experiences when she was a kid and now if she needs work (even a cleaning) she needs to be heavily sedated.

I myself was restrained when I was 2 yrs old to remove a cyst from my eyelid and i cannot stand anyone or anything near my eyes and I'm way over 40...

Offline DrJohn

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Call on God, but row away from the rocks.
« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2012, 02:19:54 PM »
Yes I would like to know what the 2nd opinion said.  My big concern here, besides the avoidance of an unnecessary traumatic experience with the papose board is the risk of damage to the developing tooth below this baby tooth.  Six months I a LONG time to wait.

Offline cheryl1

• Survival Demonstrator
    • Russell Honey
« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2012, 06:20:17 AM »
She never did get around to getting a second opinion. But the tooth has started to be tender when brushing, so she did talk to her regular dentist again. Currently, she and her dentist are planning on pulling the tooth, instead of a root canal, with the gas and mom in the room. No restraints. If the dentist can't get the job done like that, then she's planning on having her sedated vs. wide awake and tied down.