Author Topic: $600 AR Ready for Ammo - Some assembly required  (Read 5047 times)

Offline AngusBangus

• Survivalist Mentor
  • W5DAA
    • Thoughts from Dillon
$600 AR Ready for Ammo - Some assembly required
« on: September 13, 2012, 10:04:48 AM »
I posted in the "What have you done today" thread that I had picked up kits to build out 4 relatively inexpensive ARs and to PM me for more info. I've replied to a few people and keep tweaking the response as I think of more info. What better way to remedy that and make sure all the TSPers get it if they want it? Start a thread. So here goes... below is an email I sent to a neighbor who believes that the name brand imparts some mystical power to a piece of clothing and/or equipment. I developed the email to both a) back him down off the $1200 rifle ledge and b) educate him a bit. This is full of links and I can email it to you with all the HTML if you'd like - I've put the links in to the parts I actually bought. Drop me a PM with your email and I'll just forward you the original email... no editing. Brownells has the absolute best step-by-step video series on How to Build an AR-15 that I've ever found. I've opined in other emails about advantages of other calibers/configurations on the AR if you're interested - but it's basically hot air with a few good points thrown in occasionally. The email below may be elementary school crap to you and you may already have an opinion, so take it for what you're paying for this info. But it's the whole package I sent him. I ended up with free/cheap shipping on everything, so all in for 4 rifles I am at:

$1736.00: $439.00*4 - 4 Complete Lightweight profile A3 rifle kits without lowers shipped free
$ 203.50: $98*2 + $7.50 shipping- 2 stripped Spike's Tactical Mil-Spec lowers
$ 219.90: 109.95*2 - 2 complete New Frontier Armory polymer lowers shipped free
$  75.00: 4 FFL Transfers - 2 lowers at $45 and 2 lowers at $30
$2234.40: 4 Complete rifles or $558.60 each + 2 sets of spare lower parts (already capitalized into rifle prices)

I still need to buy magazines (PMAG at $15 each) and backup irons (I use Magpul BUIS for $60 - since I used them with Uncle Sam and am familiar - but there are others available like UAG for less than $30) - Prices are from joeboboutfitters.com, comparison shop as you wish. I also could have saved $120 by going with stripped NFA lowers rather than complete lowers. However 2 is one, 1 is none, right? So 6 sets of lower parts should keep at least 2 of my ARs functioning at all times even in the worst of times. If you include the mags and backup irons you are at $633.60 per rifle with spares all in. Without the spare parts I would be sitting at $603.60 per rifle, ready to accept and fire ammunition.

>>>> ORIGINAL EMAIL with [UPDATES] <<<<
1. Mil-Spec Stripped Lower:
$89 from Aero - Out of stock most places, but you can find them if you look at Brownells or Cheaper Than Dirt
$45 from New Frontier (*POLYMER lower in stock at JoeBob's - NOT MIL-SPEC)
$130 from Roggio Arsenal (in stock at Brownells)
The Mil-Spec describes an aluminum receiver. However, the lower receiver doesn't see much stress during the action of shooting. I've seen lots of "downers" of the polymer receiver, but they seem to come from those who like everything shiny and name-branded. I've also seen some pretty strenuous tests on the thing. I'm strongly considering it for my third AR-15 if not the carbon fiber one from Bushmaster (which is $800 all in at Van's).  If you assume $130, though, that lets you get an S&W, or any other stripped Mil-Spec receiver as soon as you see one in stock somewhere. The real trick with this part is to find one in stock. I got the two Spikes Tactical lowers for the boys for $99 each. Saw an email that they were in stock and jumped on it that day. Gold'N'Guns pawn did the FFL for me for $45 total. On this, part, mil-spec is mil-spec is mil-spec. You're paying for logo. [UPDATE - I bought 2 NFA COMPLETE Lowers and 2 Spikes stripped. Van's/Gold'n'Guns are Local Gun Stores.]

THEN you pick EITHER:
Path A:
2. Complete rifle kit (except lower). Here's 3 options: [all from akpartskits.com]
$439 M4A3 - flattop with a railed gas block, so you add back-up irons and/or optics of your choice
$439 LW Carbine - same as M4A3 except a traditional front sight gas block and the lightweight barrel profile
$535 Modular Carbine - flattop with carbine-length lo-profile gas system and a mid-length 4-rail free-floated tube (will look scary)
Free-floating is unnecessary for your intended purpose [Home defense and shots inside 300yds]. My 308 came that way, so I replaced the handguard with a free-floated rail. I would replace the handguard with a 2-piece rail that fits in with the delta ring (e.g., Blackhawk) just like 90% of the .mil crowd who change our rifles do with our rifles. The only people who need free-floats are those who require precision shooting for competition or those who are hanging 10 pounds of kit off the rails (like the high-speed special warfare folks). I'd save the money. You can always add later. I'm leaning toward the M4A3 since it has 4 small rails already. However, I might go with one of both of the $439 options. I will solicit child input before making the call for the boys' rifles. [UPDATE: I went with all four configured as the Lightweight (LW) barrel profile A3 upper configuration - the second one in the list. I plan to change handguards on mine, leaving me with a spare set. Since I ordered complete lowers (includes stock, trigger group, handguard), I will end up with 2 spare sets of parts for a stripped lower. At akpartskits.com there was not enough difference in the complete kit price and the upper + bolt carrier group price to justify only buying the upper.]

- OR -
Path B:
2. Lower Parts Kit (all with standard Mil-Spec trigger unless noted)
$58-70 from Bravo Company
$60 from DPMS (seems to be most popular lower parts kit)
$56 from Del-Ton (not the best reviews, but meets Mil-Spec)
$152 DPMS kit without trigger ($30) + Rock River 2-Stage Nat'l Match trigger ($122) both from Brownells
I personally think the 2-stage trigger is overkill for hunting or for any tactical eventuality you might foresee. If you're trying to shoot the dust off a flea's back, sure. But again, that's 200 rounds of ammo that you could break in the mil-spec trigger with. And Uncle Sam is happy with it. You can also spend <$10 on springs to lighten up the action. Just don't change out the hammer spring and you'll still get consistent ignition even with NATO rounds.

3. Stock/Buffer
You can spend $300-400 if you want and don't have anything better to do, but I keep coming back to a basic M4 stock.
$58 - Adv Tech from Jabtac
$60 - Mil-Spec from Brownells
$75 - Tapco from Brownells
$66 - Tapco from Mounts Plus

4. Upper Half
Too many options to count. I'd go with something with a 16" barrel, M4/Gov't or LW profile. NOT bull barrel or "HBAR". I think this is the direction you go when you want a second upper in a different caliber (9mm, 6.8, 5.7, 7.62x39, .50 Beowulf) for your lower.
$269 - M4A3 upper half + ~$120-$130 Bolt Carrier Group like DPMS or Stag
$339 - 6.8 SPC
$715 - .50 Beowulf

And then there's this:
SlideFire
ONE of the two of us should own one of these... If I can find the $300, I will volunteer.

Path A is going to be much easier to deal with, and you will save some money because of shipping and vendors taking slightly less margin. However, there is also less customization. If you NEED the 2-stage trigger, you'll pay more for the entire rifle. I recommend getting a working rifle and then kitting it out like you want it. The stuff you pull off the rifle is then available for trade or (more importantly) as spares for things like fire control group and anything that has a spring in it. The attached list from Brownells is pretty exhaustive and walks you through it. If you want to make it happen for $600, you can do it with path A or with some good deals on Path B. Again, you have to account for shipping and availability, too... another plus to getting a complete kit that is in-stock. If you want a second rifle under $1200, I think the second upper would be the first start (unless you were going for identical rifles). I think it would be awesome to do the first rifle straight up mil-spec at $550-600, then add another $715 to it to get yourself a .50 Beowulf. That would be one bad mutha of a hog gun.... $30 for 20 rounds, so cheaper than 308. This is definitely a candy store. You're the kid... you'll enjoy anything you get. You just have to decide what you want to take to the counter.
"Bureaucracy doesn’t rhyme with idiocy and lunacy for no reason, my friend." - AngusBangus 2014

The 4Bs of Anthood:
Bullets - Check
Beans
   Short Term - Check
   Long Term - Whole lotta work to do, but growing every day.
Bandages - Almost to "comfortable minimum"
Brotherhood - Creating community one conversation at a time

Offline AngusBangus

• Survivalist Mentor
  • W5DAA
    • Thoughts from Dillon
Re: $600 AR Ready for Ammo - Some assembly required
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2012, 11:06:25 PM »
Update - All 4 rifles assembled. I was missing 2 parts out of 4 kits (disconnector spring, takedown pin detent), but had plenty because I got the complete NFA lowers. I haven't contacted the vendor yet. More to follow with his service, though I'm hesitant to complain about $2 worth of parts. 1st rifle took an hour to put together with my 5 year old. 2nd rifle only took about 30 minutes with 5 and 7 year old helping (and going berserk around me at times). But they were both REALLY helpful when installing the pivot pin detent (potential missile hazard) and the fire control groups (tough to align pins). I'm so proud my kids know what the bolt catch, safety selector detent, and disconnector spring are. They have continued to ask questions about the function of the various parts in an effort to get their head around the whole thing. They will really understand their rifles once they get to shoot them.

Tips:
- Print out a diagram with all of the parts in a lower and lay out your parts so they make sense. Some of the springs look very similar.

- Installing the bolt catch roll pin is a real b#@$! and kids should be evacuated before trying this due to the potential for foul language - check out a couple of "ar lower build" videos on YouTube. I especially liked the one by brandyn737rr at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CtPzwyPirQg You can alleviate the potential broken roll pin by getting a couple from a local hardware store... they are 3/32" D x 1/2" long. I ended  up using the channel lock + CLP + taped lower method to get that particular pin in.

Good luck to everyone.
"Bureaucracy doesn’t rhyme with idiocy and lunacy for no reason, my friend." - AngusBangus 2014

The 4Bs of Anthood:
Bullets - Check
Beans
   Short Term - Check

Offline darksombra

• Fledgling Prepper
  • Old Prepper in disguise as a New TSP Forum member
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2012, 05:50:58 PM »
Great write-up!  I built my own AR just over a year ago in order to build a better rifle for less than you would find at the local gun shop.  I was also lucky enough to have one of my wife's coworkers let me borrow their detent holder kit and punch set specifically design for AR assembly.  The two tools to note were the front pivot pin detent installation tool and the punch designed for the bolt catch pin.  That being said, they are not necessary for assembly, but make life easier.

Angus, was your original intent to 'arm the family' (and neighbor) the cheapest way possible?  Its a great idea that I may pass on to my friend.  I recently brought them shooting and after firing the AR they all stood up and said 'we gotta get one of these.'

Offline AngusBangus

• Survivalist Mentor
  • W5DAA
    • Thoughts from Dillon
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2012, 12:40:26 AM »
Great write-up!  ... borrow their detent holder kit and punch set specifically design for AR assembly. ... they are not necessary for assembly, but make life easier.
Thanks and umm, yeah. They would have come in handy. If I was doing this more frequently, I would invest in the tools. But I'm getting pretty good with a channel lock now :)

Angus, was your original intent to 'arm the family' (and neighbor) the cheapest way possible?  Its a great idea that I may pass on to my friend.  I recently brought them shooting and after firing the AR they all stood up and said 'we gotta get one of these.'
My original intent was to fulfill multiple goals - get my boys their first rifles, make them affordable, get them involved so they understand their weapons (they are not old enough to even handle them yet really). As an engineer, I strive to MEET standards and not waste effort exceeding them. Thus my whole spiel on Mil Spec is Mil Spec is Mil Spec.

In parallel, I was trying to be the gentle voice of reason for my neighbor. He did buy a Colt... but he also is building one. He's in a different financial place than me, so more power to him.

The last, and most important from a community-building perspective is that I also wanted to help my dad get back into the world he once occupied. He has been a suburbanite grasshopper for a couple of decades after being quite antish for many years (beekeeping, carpentry, bow/rifle hunting, herbal medicine/wild edibles). Now he has his first rifle in years, has reclaimed a quarter acre of his 5 acres for "well-manicured" food production, and we are building beehives this winter once my family moves in with him in December.

The 4Bs of Anthood:
Bullets - Check
Beans
   Short Term - Check

Offline AngusBangus

• Survivalist Mentor
  • W5DAA
    • Thoughts from Dillon
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2012, 12:44:39 AM »
Update - All 4 rifles assembled. I was missing 2 parts out of 4 kits (disconnector spring, takedown pin detent), but had plenty because I got the complete NFA lowers.
Update #2 - I found the "missing" detent in my trunk. I think it had escaped the plastic bag in which it was shipped. I suspect the disconnector spring did the same. Bottom line, I'm only 1 part short and haven't contacted the vendor. I'm sure he would be happy to replace the missing spring. But finding the detent makes me uncomfortable even asking him to do so... I can just get a 3-pack of disconnector springs from Brownells for $3.

The 4Bs of Anthood:
Bullets - Check
Beans
   Short Term - Check

Offline thewarriorhunter

• Admin Bait!
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • Not a tactical baddass
    • Mai Thai Coffee
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2012, 01:21:10 PM »
nice write up. and yes that bolt catch pin is a PITA! i did mine with no vice too... just some clamps and 2x4 scraps... but it works!

ar15.com has some excellent guides and PDFs that you can print out. i used them and matched each piece of the LPK before i started so i knew exactly what each piece was. here is the chart: http://www.ar15.com/content/guides/assembly/lower i used their instructions to assemble my lower.

Mai Thai Coffee - Coffee With a Mission - MSB members get 10% off everything! www.maithaicoffee.com

Want to win free coffee? New contest in The Swap Meet board every month. Check out the current one here.

We work directly with the Thai farmers who grow our coffee. We have a great video that shows the process of getting our coffee From Seed to Cup

Offline back2basics

• Fledgling Prepper
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2012, 01:44:29 PM »
Angus,

Nice post!  As a newbie it's helpful to see everything broken down the way you have it.  All of the choices are overwhelming.  Thanks to you I now have a list of specific things to look for.  I do not have an AR, but using this information I can see that changing to having two or three in pretty short order.

Appreciate the info!

Offline blueyedmule

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2012, 08:35:38 AM »
I can't find the first item listed--A3 rifle kit without lowers--can't get the link to work. :(
"God created Arrakis to train the faithful."

Offline blueyedmule

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2012, 08:56:13 AM »
Best I could do was a Rock River Arms upper for $500, the A2 version.
"God created Arrakis to train the faithful."

Offline AngusBangus

• Survivalist Mentor
  • W5DAA
    • Thoughts from Dillon
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2012, 11:43:29 AM »
The owner once had "akpartskits.com" as his target page, but was officially "Blackthorne Products, LLC". His website is now "blackthorneproducts.com"
Here is the updated link:
http://blackthorneproducts.com/cart/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=6_16&products_id=293&zenid=0336c721bb837d9cfede695af163bc39

If a moderator can make that change I would appreciate it. Otherwise, here it is in perpetuity.

The 4Bs of Anthood:
Bullets - Check
Beans
   Short Term - Check

Offline Bradbn4

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2012, 08:56:59 PM »
The owner once had "akpartskits.com" as his target page, but was officially "Blackthorne Products, LLC". His website is now "blackthorneproducts.com"
Here is the updated link:
http://blackthorneproducts.com/cart/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=6_16&products_id=293&zenid=0336c721bb837d9cfede695af163bc39

If a moderator can make that change I would appreciate it. Otherwise, here it is in perpetuity.

If I remember blackthorn rifles had some issues reported on ar15.com website.  Rather recommend another manufacture for the hardware.

Brad(bn4) - In Colorado

Offline AngusBangus

• Survivalist Mentor
  • W5DAA
    • Thoughts from Dillon
« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2012, 10:04:03 AM »
If I remember blackthorn rifles had some issues reported on ar15.com website.  Rather recommend another manufacture for the hardware.

That is not consistent with my personal experience. Blackthorne was very responsive via email and met all commitments he made on his website. I received what I ordered and have no complaints.

I'm not saying the guy is a teddy bear. He is pretty terse on his website, being very clear that he fulfills orders in the order they are received and that his delivery estimates are approximate. The things you order aren't sitting on a shelf. Instead, he has components in stock and assembles your order with the necessary parts once you hit SUBMIT. But if he says he has something in stock, he has all the parts he needs and will put it together as soon as he finishes the orders ahead of you. On the front page he regularly updates his status. For example, he'll say that as of 8/15/12, I will have shipped all orders placed on or before 7/23/12. His latest status indicates that he will ship same business day:
"9/20/12 - We are currently NOT in a backorder situation.  Orders usually ship the SAME business day we receive them."

@brad, I'm not trying to flame you here, but it makes me uncomfortable casting dispersion on a guy based on "IIRC from arfcom". I saw quite a few positive comments from both arfcom and the 6.8forums. Before ordering, I engaged with him via some email questions to which he was responsive by the next business day or faster. I'm sticking with a tack similar to Jack's stance on sponsorship and endorsement - I have personally done business with the guy and he met all expectations. I would do business with him again and I personally recommend him.

The 4Bs of Anthood:
Bullets - Check
Beans
   Short Term - Check

Offline Bradbn4

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2012, 06:23:12 PM »
That is not consistent with my personal experience. Blackthorne was very responsive via email and met all commitments he made on his website. I received what I ordered and have no complaints.

I'm not saying the guy is a teddy bear. He is pretty terse on his website, being very clear that he fulfills orders in the order they are received and that his delivery estimates are approximate. The things you order aren't sitting on a shelf. Instead, he has components in stock and assembles your order with the necessary parts once you hit SUBMIT. But if he says he has something in stock, he has all the parts he needs and will put it together as soon as he finishes the orders ahead of you. On the front page he regularly updates his status. For example, he'll say that as of 8/15/12, I will have shipped all orders placed on or before 7/23/12. His latest status indicates that he will ship same business day:
"9/20/12 - We are currently NOT in a backorder situation.  Orders usually ship the SAME business day we receive them."

@brad, I'm not trying to flame you here, but it makes me uncomfortable casting dispersion on a guy based on "IIRC from arfcom". I saw quite a few positive comments from both arfcom and the 6.8forums. Before ordering, I engaged with him via some email questions to which he was responsive by the next business day or faster. I'm sticking with a tack similar to Jack's stance on sponsorship and endorsement - I have personally done business with the guy and he met all expectations. I would do business with him again and I personally recommend him.

Don't read that as a flame response in the least, and first hand knowledge is the best source to obtain info with folks doing business with the company.   It is always hard to verify anyone by reading online support stories.      I have had wonderful support from some companies folks always complain about - and terrible support from companies that folks rave about.

Right now most of the ar-15 suppliers out there are getting hammered for parts, supplies and such. 

Brad(bn4) - In Colorado

Offline roadney

• Fledgling Prepper
« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2012, 10:57:49 AM »
Took the advice from this thread and ordered my $600 AR last week. Parts were received and assembled last night. Got the NFA complete lower for $109 from Joeboboutfitters and a DPMS complete upper from midwayusa for $390. Going to add mbus sights and pmags which will bring the total to around $600.

Offline AngusBangus

• Survivalist Mentor
  • W5DAA
    • Thoughts from Dillon
« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2012, 11:19:32 PM »
Don't read that as a flame response in the least, and first hand knowledge is the best source to obtain info with folks doing business with the company.   It is always hard to verify anyone by reading online support stories.      I have had wonderful support from some companies folks always complain about - and terrible support from companies that folks rave about.

Right now most of the ar-15 suppliers out there are getting hammered for parts, supplies and such. 
This is why I love this place...

And you're right. These guys are ALL getting hammered. Though roadney and a neighbor of mine down the street both received their parts pretty quickly. It's kinda different than what I expected. Not that I believe anyone is going to take our guns... but I figured we would see a HUGE spike in backorders, etc. post-Obama win.

The 4Bs of Anthood:
Bullets - Check
Beans
   Short Term - Check

Offline backwoods_engineer

• Survivalist Mentor
  • A geeky American country boy with an AR-15 slung o
    • Backwoods Engineer's Blog
« Reply #15 on: November 21, 2012, 02:22:14 PM »
Took the advice from this thread and ordered my $600 AR last week. Parts were received and assembled last night. Got the NFA complete lower for $109 from Joeboboutfitters and a DPMS complete upper from midwayusa for $390. Going to add mbus sights and pmags which will bring the total to around $600.

Roadney, I got the same combo.  Can't wait to go shoot it!  I'll have to post pix.    Lower has arrived, but upper has not.

The NFA lower and my 3-pos stock together weigh 2 pounds, 4 oz (no magazine).  The DPMS Oracle upper weighs 4 pounds, 1 oz.  Total: 6 lb, 5 oz unloaded.  Loaded mags come in at just under a pound each, add a sling (8 oz) and a reflex sight (8 oz) and I've got a battle rattle under 8 lb.

BTW, don't put the MBUS sight on the front gas block rail.  Besides ending up short, the gas block rail gets HOT and I have heard from others that the MBUS sights can't take it.

Offline roadney

• Fledgling Prepper
« Reply #16 on: December 17, 2012, 01:15:08 PM »
I had intended on starting with just iron sights, but I didn't realize I was going to run into the gas block issue. Decided to purchase a quadrail to replace the stock handguard. That will give me a level rail for the front/back flip up sight. Found a really great one from amazon for $30.

Before

http://s20.postimage.org/8llcl7x25/AR_1.jpg

After

http://s20.postimage.org/nt1c5kowt/finsihed_ar.jpg

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #17 on: December 17, 2012, 03:42:36 PM »
I had intended on starting with just iron sights, but I didn't realize I was going to run into the gas block issue. Decided to purchase a quadrail to replace the stock handguard. That will give me a level rail for the front/back flip up sight. Found a really great one from amazon for $30.

Before

http://s20.postimage.org/8llcl7x25/AR_1.jpg

After

http://s20.postimage.org/nt1c5kowt/finsihed_ar.jpg

I like it.  I want one, too.  Can you post an Amazon link?

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #18 on: December 17, 2012, 03:47:00 PM »
By the way, here's mine.  I have since added a riser to lift up the red-dot sight, and a gas-block mounted flashlight holder.

Deets here:

http://thesurvivalpodcast.com/forum/index.php?topic=673.msg441501#msg441501

Offline roadney

• Fledgling Prepper
« Reply #19 on: December 17, 2012, 03:48:26 PM »
Here is the link. 4.5 star for 140 reviews. The one I received came with longer screws. Short screws were the only complaint on the reviews. I would definitely give it 5 starts. Took 5 min or less to install. I have put over 50 rounds through it so far and it runs perfectly.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002PI3IPO/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i02

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #20 on: December 17, 2012, 04:29:21 PM »
Here is the link. 4.5 star for 140 reviews. The one I received came with longer screws. Short screws were the only complaint on the reviews. I would definitely give it 5 starts. Took 5 min or less to install. I have put over 50 rounds through it so far and it runs perfectly.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002PI3IPO/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i02

Thanks, man!  Got it on my wish list!

Offline AngusBangus

• Survivalist Mentor
  • W5DAA
    • Thoughts from Dillon
« Reply #21 on: December 19, 2012, 01:08:06 PM »
Thanks, man!  Got it on my wish list!
I decided to put a quad rail on one of my rifles and went with what appears to be an identically constructed rail for $38:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005QPJOSS/ref=oh_details_o03_s00_i00

Only kicker is that it comes with those 12 rubber covers, which are nice (at the 3,6,9 o'clock positions) for the fingers if you're not putting a vertical grip on your rail. Not sure if that's worth the extra 8 bucks to you or not. It had 5 stars with 66 reviews... it's pretty solid so far (but I haven't installed yet).

The 4Bs of Anthood:
Bullets - Check
Beans
   Short Term - Check

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #22 on: December 20, 2012, 10:39:25 AM »
Looking forward to hearing how that handguard works for you, Angus.  I haven't bought one yet, but will soon, because I want to add a detachable bipod for prone shooting.

Offline roadney

• Fledgling Prepper
« Reply #23 on: December 20, 2012, 10:44:20 AM »
I was looking at that one as well. I chose the one I did basically because it was $7 cheaper and had twice as many reviews. After receiving the product it exceeded my expectations. I imagine they are basically exactly the same +/- the rail covers. I am looking to buy some rail covers now after shooting my gun, so in the end I might have saved some money going with the $38 pkg.

Offline thewarriorhunter

• Admin Bait!
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • Not a tactical baddass
    • Mai Thai Coffee
« Reply #24 on: December 20, 2012, 02:22:55 PM »
Looking forward to hearing how that handguard works for you, Angus.  I haven't bought one yet, but will soon, because I want to add a detachable bipod for prone shooting.

i have the standard hand guards on my AR and i use a harris bi-pod. you can buy a harris adapter that will screw into the lower hand guard and allow the bipod to attach. i could also put a sling mount on the adapter if i wanted to, but there is already one on the front of the rifle. i can't remember the specific model number for the parts but i can look them up when i get home.

here's a pic:

i'm sure there are other models out there beside harris that will work for this, but i wanted to offer it up as an option. i don't plan on throwing all kinds of stuff on my rifle so i don't need a rail for that.

also, please note the sexy gadsden lower i have, SAWEET!!! ;D 8)

Mai Thai Coffee - Coffee With a Mission - MSB members get 10% off everything! www.maithaicoffee.com

Want to win free coffee? New contest in The Swap Meet board every month. Check out the current one here.

We work directly with the Thai farmers who grow our coffee. We have a great video that shows the process of getting our coffee From Seed to Cup

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #25 on: December 20, 2012, 08:59:33 PM »
Good to know, warriorhunter, on the Harris adapter.  I didn't know that.

And yeah that Gadsden Flag lower is sweet  8)

Offline thewarriorhunter

• Admin Bait!
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • Not a tactical baddass
    • Mai Thai Coffee
« Reply #26 on: December 20, 2012, 10:42:01 PM »
yeah, it's great. i have the swivel bi pod which i highly recommend if you do go with one, it makes shooting from an uneven surface a non issue. there is one screw that you tighten/loosen to attach or remove. i can switch it from my .22 to my AR in about 30 seconds. plus the legs fold up so if you're not using it they are out of the way.

Offline thewarriorhunter

• Admin Bait!
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • Not a tactical baddass
    • Mai Thai Coffee
« Reply #27 on: December 21, 2012, 09:58:46 PM »
ok, forgot we had christmas light looking last night so i didn't get a chance to check. the adapter to use with the standard hand guards is the Harris #5 bipod adapter.

also, a side note: if i could purchase the bipod again, i wouldn't. i took an appleseed course and after learning how to use a sling i much prefer that to a bipod. plus when i think about actually using my rife i find myself more likely to be in a situation where a sling would be faster/better/right tool. the bipod is cool, but it seems less cool/useful now that i can use a sling properly. the sling holds the rifle 'into' you and makes everything - in my opinion - feel more solid.

also note i'm not knocking harris, the hardware is super solid, rugged, and i don't think i could break it unless i was trying too.

Offline nelson96

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #28 on: December 21, 2012, 10:29:58 PM »
I was looking at that one as well. I chose the one I did basically because it was $7 cheaper and had twice as many reviews. After receiving the product it exceeded my expectations. I imagine they are basically exactly the same +/- the rail covers. I am looking to buy some rail covers now after shooting my gun, so in the end I might have saved some money going with the $38 pkg.

Personally, I like the "Ladder" Rail Covers.  They don't increase the overall size of the hand guard and I think they look better too.

http://www.amazon.com/Handguard-Ladder-Rail-Cover-Black/dp/B005AAIKBQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1356150258&sr=8-1&keywords=ladder+rail+covers
“There are few things more pathetic than those who have lost their curiosity and sense of adventure, and who no longer care to learn.”
 ~ Gordon B. Hinckley

One hundred thousand generations of people lived and ate as hunter-gatherers, and only two generations have grown up on highly processed fast foods. . .  It's not too late

Offline oley454

• Prepper
« Reply #29 on: December 28, 2012, 03:20:11 PM »
Well done on the build I just wish prices weren't so ridiculous so I could build a similar one.