Author Topic: Prep fiction for women  (Read 12932 times)

Offline Crosstimbers

• Prepper
Prep fiction for women
« on: September 13, 2012, 10:12:03 PM »
I've always been a fan of survival type fiction but it seems like they are all from a guy's point of view.  I know guns and security are important but geez...give me a break from all the tactical details! in a SHTF situation I'd be trying to figure out how to feed and clothe my family too!  In some of these books it's as if food just magically appears on the table and they completely ignore the part about trying to cook on a wood stove or camp fire to produce said meals.  And don't even get me started on laundry!  Anyone else feel this way?

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
  • TSP Supreme Galactic Ant
  • Dont wait for the storm to pass, dance in the rain
Re: Prep fiction for women
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2012, 10:27:24 PM »
I guess I don't read enough of them? Do you know of any from a female perspective? And sorry I didn't say hello fast enough in chat. I was not meaning to ignore you.

Cedar

Offline Prepper Recon

• Survivor
  • We don't have a lot of time.
    • Prepper Recon
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2012, 10:31:05 PM »
The guy at Prepper Website just wrote a book called Education After the Collapse. He has it for free on his site. I think it is a fictional account of rebuilding community schools. I don't think it is specifically for women, but I expect it will have a pretty low body count.

Here is the link
http://www.prepperwebsite.com/education-after-the-collapse

A great ladies prepper site is Paratus Familia Blog
http://www.paratusfamiliablog.com/
Lots of recipes and canning tips.

Enjoy!

Offline Crosstimbers

• Prepper
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2012, 10:33:02 PM »
Cedar,
I didn't feel ignored.  I just popped in for a few seconds to see how it was set up.  There is a series by Terri Blackstock that has more of a female perspective.  I think the series is called Restoration.  Other than that I'm looking for ideas too!

Prepper Recon,  thanks for the links!

EOTS

« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2012, 05:26:50 AM »
There's a trilogy I just love: Life as We Knew It, This World We Live In and The Dead and Gone. Primarily, they're told from the perspective of a couple of teens, but there are many other characters. The mother was a really interesting character -- raising three teens as a single mom, catastrophe occurs, Dad shows up with pregnant wife #2 --  but it all becomes about helping everyone survive.

IMO, human-to-human violence is downplayed, but the violence of Mother Nature gets serious play. The first book is set in a rural/suburban community in PA, the second in NYC (a real eye opener -- human-to-human violence may be the least of their worries...) and the third book takes place when some of the characters from the first book who had left come back to PA along with a couple of the teens from NYC (IIRC, they met in a refugee camp).

Good writer. Interesting perspective on a global catastrophe.

Offline hedgewitch

• Survivor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2012, 08:02:54 AM »
Collapse: You're on your own by Kay Mahoney, is mostly from  woman's point of view, has lots of info

Offline KellyAnn

• Survivalist Mentor
  • TSP Forum member
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2012, 03:25:35 PM »
Not exactly modern story, probably not exactly prep related either, but I really liked "Alas, Babylon".  It is mostly from a guy's point of view (or maybe I just think that because a male narrated the audiobook), but the female characters in it are pretty good.
Oh...and despite the title of the book, it's not a religious story (which may or may not matter to you).

Offline Crosstimbers

• Prepper
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2012, 05:02:06 PM »
I've read the Life As We Knew It trilogy.  I thought the first book was the best one.  The other two were pretty graphic, especially number 3.  I've also read Alas, Babylon.  It was good but it was one that irritated me with the superficial treatment of the women.  But hey, it was written in the '50s.  Another book I just thought of is Into the Forest by Jean Hegland.  It's about 2 sisters in a post-collapse world.  The collapse in never specified but the characters are great and there is a lot of detail about what they had to do to survive.

Offline Dusti

• Prepper
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2012, 08:06:41 PM »
Try Martha's Vine and Martha's Mirror by Sheree Zielke. It is available on Amazon and Kindle.

Offline mskoyote

• Prepper
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2012, 07:19:11 PM »
Parable of the Sower and Parable of the Talents by Octavia Butler.

The Change series by S.M. Stirling isn't really women-centered, but has a lot of female perspective.

Offline Mma800

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2013, 03:51:57 AM »
I've always been a fan of survival type fiction but it seems like they are all from a guy's point of view.  I know guns and security are important but geez...give me a break from all the tactical details! in a SHTF situation I'd be trying to figure out how to feed and clothe my family too!  In some of these books it's as if food just magically appears on the table and they completely ignore the part about trying to cook on a wood stove or camp fire to produce said meals.  And don't even get me started on laundry!  Anyone else feel this way?
I am resurrecting this thread as I completely agree with you!
I just ordered the Life as We Know It series from amazon.
I'd love to hear more titles as I will finish those up very quickly. Don't need to be female perspective but maybe gender neutral or just less tactical and more practical!

Offline Oil Lady

• Lady oil lady oil la-dy hoo
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • My book needs more humor. My pen needs more salt.
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2013, 04:40:45 AM »
SHAMELESS PIMP-OUT

I never saw this thread before. So I am late to the party here.

I am a woman, and I write novels and screenplays. I have a prepperish novel still in the works right now, and I posted pieces of it here at TSP for feedback. (Thus I am pimping here in this thread.) Here's the link to what I posted here at TSP.

http://thesurvivalpodcast.com/forum/index.php?topic=39468.msg443607#msg443607

Two warnings:

A) My Main Character (my MC) is a man (and so it admittedly doesn't fit the bill as far as the request made in the OP of this thread for female-ish stories). So I have been actively soliciting advice from men on how to write this story. I keep getting feedback from my male beta-readers that I get little too "girly" at times (even a little Harlequin Romance-y), and that I need to inject more testosterone into it. (Tough trick! I keep trying to think like a man and it isn't always working.) Also, I have military stuff going on, so I have been soliciting advice from current and former military personnel on how to get those details right. However, having explained that, it'd be nice if some ladies would give me feedback as well.

B) I have adult content, therefore NOT SAFE FOR WORK. (Read it at home.) It's not a terrible amount of adult content, just the occasional f-bomb (maybe once every 15 pages you will find the f-word) and there's a romantic relationship, and some violence. My standard way of explaining the adult content is to say "If it were made into a movie, it's be a very mild R-rating." (So it ain't Scarface, nor is it Basic Instinct.)   

One more thing I wanna add ...

I am very dismayed that I posted this here and then got .... almost no replies. I did get some PM's from people, two of which were very helpful, but the thread pretty much sank with almost .... no .... replies. Almost none. WTF??

I have learned that when you post a creative work online, you will generally get three categories of not-so-helpful feedback: 1) the one-sentence reply of "Wow, good stuff." 2) The third grade English teacher feedback of "You misspelled this word here. And this one. And this one." And then 3) the trollish feedback of "This really sucks! You suck! Give it up!"

So ..... What exactly do I .................................... want??

I want you to tell me 2 things, both of which are super important to me as far as my goal of making this novel worthy of a real publishing house: 

FIRST -- Where was the exact spot where you got bored to tears and had to put it down because the writing was just so bad that your eyes were drifting off the screen? If you got bored midway down Page One, then by golly, tell me as plain as day "This sentence right here on Page One is where you lost me." And then I can try to work on improving it from there. (No, you will not hurt my feelings.)

SECOND -- Did any part of the plot stray from the realm of logical? Did anything not ring true to reality? Or ... as we writers like to say .... Was there a point where you were no longer able to suspend disbelief? Tell me where that credibility gap arose and I can try and work on improving it, or even completely revising that plot point to be more realistic.   

And do NOT be afraid to hurt my feelings. If something in the story really pissed you off, then tell me. If something in the story was just flat-out, bone-headedly STOOOOOO-pid, then tell me. I got over the phase of my writing years ago of only wanting good feedback of sweetness and light. Good feedback of the la-la-land-it's-perfect variety doesn't improve bad writing. So if it's bad writing, then say so. 

So there it is, ladies. Have at it. I thank you all ahead of time for the honor of getting a read out of you.  :) 

1088 / 772 / 71
« Last Edit: February 04, 2013, 04:51:53 AM by Oil Lady »

Offline Twibble

• Survivor
  • I forgot what I was thinking...
    • Trepanation for the Sane
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2013, 08:31:55 AM »
Mom's Journal of the Zombie Years! http://mjoyzy.blogspot.com/2011/11/august-it-begins.html
It's not completely finished, but there's enough there to keep you busy for quite a while.  It does involve zombies, but the same lady also has stories about pandemics, government overthrow/food supply diminishment, and other such things.  She's AWESOME!

Offline Mma800

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2013, 04:02:36 PM »
Oil Lady-
Here I go.. Going to read it once I get the kiddos to bed. I promise to be super honest with my comments. I really think you are a great person and if my opinions are hurtful I apologize in advance. :) :)

Just remember you asked for it!  :)

Offline Oil Lady

• Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2013, 04:22:38 PM »
Oil Lady-
Here I go.. Going to read it once I get the kiddos to bed. I promise to be super honest with my comments. I really think you are a great person and if my opinions are hurtful I apologize in advance. :) :)

Just remember you asked for it!  :)

I am honored. :)

Online The Professor

• Tactical Skittle Assassin
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • All we have to do is create another universe
« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2013, 04:46:04 PM »

I am honored. :)

Oil Lady,

Would you accept some additional comments on what you posted?

The Professor

Offline Oil Lady

• Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #16 on: February 05, 2013, 04:17:15 AM »
Oil Lady,

Would you accept some additional comments on what you posted?

The Professor

Heck yes!!  :excited: (Crickets do NOT help a writer write! 8) )

Offline Mma800

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #17 on: February 05, 2013, 04:36:11 PM »
Sorry Oil Lady!
I was derailed by life! Husband going outta town tomorrow, chaperoning field trp, etc! I am sitting down to read tonite and will PM u with my thoughts.

Offline Oil Lady

• Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #18 on: February 05, 2013, 05:24:53 PM »
Sorry Oil Lady!
I was derailed by life! Husband going outta town tomorrow, chaperoning field trp, etc! I am sitting down to read tonite and will PM u with my thoughts.

Thanks! 8)

(And no need to apologize. A read is a read. And I'll take any read I can get.)

Offline frugalcountrymom

• Prepper
« Reply #19 on: March 23, 2013, 09:14:34 PM »
Thanks for the info on the book COLLAPSE You're On Your Own. I was just talking to my Womens prep group about I wish I could read more books on a womens point of view during a disaster. We need more of them! :)

Offline mangyhyena

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #20 on: August 08, 2013, 11:15:03 PM »
Oil Lady, I'll read what you've written and help if I can.  I'm writing an apocalyptic fiction series of novellas as well.  Actually, two series in the same world, one told from the POV of a young boy and the second told from the POV of a young girl roughly the same age.  I hope to continue till they're older.  At some point I'll merge the two series, alternating POV characters from one book to the next.
I've got a son and two daughters, so I'll be trying to write something they can enjoy.  Thought it would be a challenge to do cross-overs from time to time with these two.  Same scene in both books when they're together, but from each POV in each series.
I want to show real survival skills in these series, along with a world without the easy convieniences we take for granted.  And, I want to see these two come of age as the novellas progress.  Both will be told in first person and character driven.

About this thread title, fear not.  Here to fill the need, there is a new genre called Erotic Apocalyptic  Fiction.  (I kid you not.  I couldn't make something like this up if my life depended on it). Yes, you'll get the female POV, devastation galore, survival, and lots of erotica.  Everything a survivalist could ask for in a book.  ROTF.  I had to laugh when I came across it.

Don't shoot the messenger.  Look up erotic acopalyptic fiction and you should get a good laugh.  I honestly don't know if it sells, but I found it easily enough with a Google search and on Smashwords and Amazon.

I'll undoubtedly be in here asking questions as I gear up to write from a young girl's perspective.

Offline Oil Lady

• Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #21 on: August 10, 2013, 05:18:19 AM »
MH, thanks for the read. :)

As for this new genre (or sub-genre) called "Erotic Apocalyptic Fiction" ... le sigh ....

I swear that 50 Shades book series has really pissed off a lot of writers. As far as I'm concerned this new craze for erotica spilling over into mainstream fiction is just another stupid lets-imitate-the-book-The Valley of the Dolls sort of a fad.  In other words, it too shall pass.   

If anything, YA is here to stay. And not only will YA keep sticking around, but I say it is also going to permanently be a huge money-maker from here onward. I say this because a) YA poses an easier level of literature for today's time-pressed and ADD adults to try and read, and b) most YA books are far easier to translate to film than most adult-oriented novels. Harry Potter aside, the real bell weather for this new focus by the publishing world to seek out YA novels is indicated by The Hunger Games. Prior to THG, a lot of publishing houses wouldn't even touch anything not meant for an adult readership. But now, because it turns out that the majority of the readers for THG are adults, the publishers have seen the writing on the wall and realized that writing novels on a 5th grade reading level is the way to go.  So stick with your plan to write about that boy and girl.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2013, 05:28:07 AM by Oil Lady »

Offline mangyhyena

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #22 on: August 10, 2013, 04:10:57 PM »
Thanks, oil lady.
Just to be absolutely clear, the dual series I've started is NOT, I repeat, NOT, that erotic apocalyptic fiction stuff I mentioned.  It is definitely for young adults,  though us "grups" should also enjoy it.

Oil Lady, I read the chapters you posted.  I enjoyed it.  Here's my advice.  Take it for what it's worth.
Look for opportunities to shorten the sentences a bit where applicable.  Details are good, but if something feels awkward or too long, don't be afraid to make it short and to the point.
The part where he slams down the phone in a punch-like manner could be done shorter without losing impact, I think, as an example.  'I slammed the phone hard enough to crack the plastic housing.''  That would probably suffice and get across his frustration without sounding stilted or awkward.  Maybe follow up with something like; 'Calm down, I told myself.  A replacement phone isn't exactly in the budget right now.'
Or something to that effect to show both his character (he's not usually prone to violence) and reinforce his economic state.
Look for opportunities to make sentences do double duty (show two things at once) whenever you can.

Your characters are acting fine, as far as I can see.  The men are men, no problem there.

As for the erotica, I'm not so sure that's going away too soon.  The electronic e-readers allow for privacy both when purchasing and reading, since others can't see the cover and no live sales person takes your money.  The result?  Spicy stories are selling very, very well.  So well that Amazon had to restructure its ranking system so romance, especially erotic romance, wouldn't show up so often and dominate the top 100 it lists as best sellers.  Don't know what that says about society, but there you have it. 
Besides, authors can't chase what's selling well right now and expect to cash in. A. By the time your book comes out, the trend is likely finished.  B. you're not writing what you love if you're chasing trends.   Write what you love as well as possible, then write another and try to write it better each time.

Apocalyptic fiction written from a female POV should prove challenging.  It could also really show a side of self sufficiency and survival we don't usually get to see.
Apocalyptic fiction in general also gives the opportunity to show what kind of world we could live in, if folks make the right decisions based on self sufficiency and sustainable practices.  Energy, food, and water are 3 areas I'm convinced civilization could do better with.  The opportunities for character development are numerous, as well.

I'm thinking bite-sized novellas, 50-70 thousand words, priced $2.99 a copy, seems like a good length for something like this.  At that length, I should be publishing roughly one every month and a half, or so.  In a year's time, I'd probably have enough to bundle 3 or 4 into one package for $6.00 or so for added value.  I'll go to full novels once these two come of age and hook up for the long haul.
In the mean time, the two series intertwining in places could also be fun.  All in all, I'm looking forward to showing young readers real possibilities and skills they probably haven't seen before.  Who knows, maybe kids will learn something they can actually apply to their lives when they grow up and set out to make their marks in this world.
It's a great time to be an author.  E-books are destroying the old guard who decided what books the public will and will not be able to read.  Authors are now hiring editors, cover artists, and marketers to work for them, rather than pandering to publishing houses.  It should be interesting to see how books change because of this.  If someone wanted to write an apocalyptic story told from a female POV, they don't need a publishing house's approval to do so.  The readers will final say in what books do and do not succeed.

Time will tell.

Offline RitaRose1945

• Survival Veteran
  • Asking the uncomfortable questions since 1964
« Reply #23 on: August 10, 2013, 04:27:52 PM »
About this thread title, fear not.  Here to fill the need, there is a new genre called Erotic Apocalyptic  Fiction.  (I kid you not.  I couldn't make something like this up if my life depended on it). Yes, you'll get the female POV, devastation galore, survival, and lots of erotica.  Everything a survivalist could ask for in a book.  ROTF.  I had to laugh when I came across it.

Don't shoot the messenger.  Look up erotic acopalyptic fiction and you should get a good laugh.  I honestly don't know if it sells, but I found it easily enough with a Google search and on Smashwords and Amazon.

Okay, I have to admit that had me snickering.  I mean, in the event of anything apocalyptic in nature, I highly doubt I'll be thinking how hot the guy is that just pieced together a toilet out of a trash bag and a bucket.  Sexy!  Or not...

But morbid curiosity got the best of me and I searched on Amazon.  73 hits!  My favorite title was We Kill Dead Things.  But then I got a big surprise when I saw Mercury Rests on the list.  It's book 3 of 3 in the Mercury series (which I love) by Robert Kroese, and while it's apocalyptic, it's decidedly humor, not erotica.  Most of the others look like... well, pretty much exactly what the genre states.  Not my personal choice.  Kind of a bizarre market.

Offline RitaRose1945

• Survival Veteran
  • Asking the uncomfortable questions since 1964
« Reply #24 on: August 10, 2013, 04:31:09 PM »
Besides, authors can't chase what's selling well right now and expect to cash in. A. By the time your book comes out, the trend is likely finished.  B. you're not writing what you love if you're chasing trends.   Write what you love as well as possible, then write another and try to write it better each time.

Exactly.  We all have a natural style, and trying to duplicate it to follow a trend is never going to be your best work, assuming you could get it in front of the public before it's dated anyway.

Offline Oil Lady

• Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #25 on: August 10, 2013, 06:43:05 PM »
Thanks, oil lady.
Just to be absolutely clear, the dual series I've started is NOT, I repeat, NOT, that erotic apocalyptic fiction stuff I mentioned.  It is definitely for young adults,  though us "grups" should also enjoy it.

Oil Lady, I read the chapters you posted.  I enjoyed it.  Here's my advice.  Take it for what it's worth.
Look for opportunities to shorten the sentences a bit where applicable.  Details are good, but if something feels awkward or too long, don't be afraid to make it short and to the point.
The part where he slams down the phone in a punch-like manner could be done shorter without losing impact, I think, as an example.  'I slammed the phone hard enough to crack the plastic housing.''  That would probably suffice and get across his frustration without sounding stilted or awkward.  Maybe follow up with something like; 'Calm down, I told myself.  A replacement phone isn't exactly in the budget right now.'
Or something to that effect to show both his character (he's not usually prone to violence) and reinforce his economic state.
Look for opportunities to make sentences do double duty (show two things at once) whenever you can.

Your characters are acting fine, as far as I can see.  The men are men, no problem there.

As for the erotica, I'm not so sure that's going away too soon.  The electronic e-readers allow for privacy both when purchasing and reading, since others can't see the cover and no live sales person takes your money.  The result?  Spicy stories are selling very, very well.  So well that Amazon had to restructure its ranking system so romance, especially erotic romance, wouldn't show up so often and dominate the top 100 it lists as best sellers.  Don't know what that says about society, but there you have it. 

Apocalyptic fiction written from a female POV should prove challenging.  It could also really show a side of self sufficiency and survival we don't usually get to see.
Apocalyptic fiction in general also gives the opportunity to show what kind of world we could live in, if folks make the right decisions based on self sufficiency and sustainable practices.  Energy, food, and water are 3 areas I'm convinced civilization could do better with.  The opportunities for character development are numerous, as well.

I'm thinking bite-sized novellas, 50-70 thousand words, priced $2.99 a copy, seems like a good length for something like this.  At that length, I should be publishing roughly one every month and a half, or so.  In a year's time, I'd probably have enough to bundle 3 or 4 into one package for $6.00 or so for added value.  I'll go to full novels once these two come of age and hook up for the long haul.
In the mean time, the two series intertwining in places could also be fun.  All in all, I'm looking forward to showing young readers real possibilities and skills they probably haven't seen before.  Who knows, maybe kids will learn something they can actually apply to their lives when they grow up and set out to make their marks in this world.
It's a great time to be an author.  E-books are destroying the old guard who decided what books the public will and will not be able to read.  Authors are now hiring editors, cover artists, and marketers to work for them, rather than pandering to publishing houses.  It should be interesting to see how books change because of this.  If someone wanted to write an apocalyptic story told from a female POV, they don't need a publishing house's approval to do so.  The readers will final say in what books do and do not succeed.

Time will tell.

Thanks for the read, MH. And WOW you are one FAST reader! I envy anyone who can read faster than the speed of conversation.

Offline Ms. Albatross

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #26 on: August 12, 2013, 09:15:24 AM »
There's a trilogy I just love: Life as We Knew It, This World We Live In and The Dead and Gone. Primarily, they're told from the perspective of a couple of teens, but there are many other characters. The mother was a really interesting character -- raising three teens as a single mom, catastrophe occurs, Dad shows up with pregnant wife #2 --  but it all becomes about helping everyone survive.

IMO, human-to-human violence is downplayed, but the violence of Mother Nature gets serious play. The first book is set in a rural/suburban community in PA, the second in NYC (a real eye opener -- human-to-human violence may be the least of their worries...) and the third book takes place when some of the characters from the first book who had left come back to PA along with a couple of the teens from NYC.

Good writer. Interesting perspective on a global catastrophe.

The 4th book in the series was released today.  The Shade of the Moon.  It's available on Amazon.  I'm buying it for my school library.  (We already have books 1-3).  I've like the series very much so far.   

http://www.amazon.com/The-Shade-Moon-Life-Series/dp/0547813376/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1376320055&sr=8-2&keywords=susan+beth+pfeffer+life

Offline Gunnywag

• Survivor
« Reply #27 on: August 12, 2013, 07:29:13 PM »
Everything by Kathy in FL

http://www.blogger.com/profile/08161351589637201127

I really like her main characters.

Offline mangyhyena

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #28 on: August 16, 2013, 11:06:24 AM »
Okay, I have to admit that had me snickering.  I mean, in the event of anything apocalyptic in nature, I highly doubt I'll be thinking how hot the guy is that just pieced together a toilet out of a trash bag and a bucket.  Sexy!  Or not...

But morbid curiosity got the best of me and I searched on Amazon.  73 hits!  My favorite title was We Kill Dead Things.  But then I got a big surprise when I saw Mercury Rests on the list.  It's book 3 of 3 in the Mercury series (which I love) by Robert Kroese, and while it's apocalyptic, it's decidedly humor, not erotica.  Most of the others look like... well, pretty much exactly what the genre states.  Not my personal choice.  Kind of a bizarre market.

Got to agree wholeheartedly.  It was so off my radar that I thought it was a joke and laughed when I first stumbled across it on an author's site.  But, yes, it does exist.  Your example puts a new twist on the plumber coming over to clean the pipes.