Author Topic: the cost of a silver round  (Read 2818 times)

zanedclark@att.net

the cost of a silver round
« on: September 15, 2012, 01:21:20 PM »
I have a friend's birthday coming up and he is a fan of Anne Ryne.  So I bought him a roll of TSP copper and a silver 1 oz round from the Silver and Gold Shop who has the MSB discount.  I've also made him a "letter" that details various websites including TSP for his prepping.

The copper came with minimal shipping cost through the US mail.  Great stuff, beautiful, nice value.

The silver cost me twice as much as the round itself due to insurance and shipping etc. 

What am I doing wrong?
z

Offline ncjeeper

• Most Noble Order of the Garter Snake
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • Oooops!
Re: the cost of a silver round
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2012, 02:08:53 PM »
Are you referring to the cost difference? Silver spot is currently at $34.68 an ounce and copper spot is at $3.82 a pound.

zanedclark@att.net

« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2012, 04:52:10 PM »
no not the difference.  I have no problem with the cost of each product.

the copper was sent with expected shipping costs.

the cost to insure and ship one silver round cost almost as much as the round.  So 1 oz of silver from the Silver and Gold Shop approached $60.

something wrong here?
z

nelson96

« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2012, 06:00:47 PM »
The cost of insurance (up to $50) is something like $1.65 via USPS.  The cost of the envelope and postage couldn't be more than double that.  Add the cost of your silver round (can find them for $45 or less, including shipping pretty easy on Ebay).

I would find a new place to purchase silver.

Offline TexDaddy

• TSP Goat Wrangling Geezer. He is EVIL also.
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Forum Veteran
  • I live in Texas. What country are you from?
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2012, 10:17:02 PM »
...I would find a new place to purchase silver.
This.

The Silver and Gold Shop is no longer associated with TSP in any way.

Offline FrugalFannie

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2012, 06:11:51 AM »
no not the difference.  I have no problem with the cost of each product.

the copper was sent with expected shipping costs.

the cost to insure and ship one silver round cost almost as much as the round.  So 1 oz of silver from the Silver and Gold Shop approached $60.

something wrong here?
z

Your insurance cost probably wouldn't have been much more with 10 rounds, and shipping also. So spread over 10 rounds the extra shipping would have added maybe $1.20 per ounce? I don't think there is anything wrong here. You just learned an expensive lesson with ordering 1oz of silver. If you are only buying 1 or 2 at atoms you would be much better off finding a local shop to buy from.

Offline fritz_monroe

• The Defenestrator
  • Administrator
  • Survival Veteran
    • The Homestead Fritz
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2012, 06:49:29 AM »
Your insurance cost probably wouldn't have been much more with 10 rounds, and shipping also. So spread over 10 rounds the extra shipping would have added maybe $1.20 per ounce? I don't think there is anything wrong here. You just learned an expensive lesson with ordering 1oz of silver. If you are only buying 1 or 2 at atoms you would be much better off finding a local shop to buy from.
I've bought 2 rounds online from Westminster Mint.  The shipping & handling (including insurance) was $10.75. 

Offline livinitup0

• Survivalist Mentor
  • confrontational by design
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2012, 11:39:09 AM »
Theres tons of junk or collectible silver in every pawn shop in america. Pay a little over spot, avoid shipping, barter, negotiate prices and support local businesss.

Unless theres something specific you just cant live without it's usually a better idea to get it offline IMO.

Offline fritz_monroe

• The Defenestrator
  • Administrator
  • Survival Veteran
    • The Homestead Fritz
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2012, 11:41:26 AM »
Unless theres something specific you just cant live without it's usually a better idea to get it offline IMO.
This was the case of my order, they were Santa silver coins for gifts to the kids.

zanedclark@att.net

« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2012, 11:56:30 AM »
thanks Everyone for your help.

I did notice that the Silver and Gold Shop was dropped from the TSP site as an advertiser.  But this was after my very expensive experience.

z