Author Topic: Intro Thread  (Read 47266 times)

Offline Crosstimbers

• Prepper
Intro Thread
« on: October 11, 2008, 08:55:37 AM »
I thought it might be good for us to have our own intro thread so here goes....
I'm Nancy.  I live in NE Oklahoma.  I just turned 52, have four kids, 3 of whom are out of the house.  I work full time outside the home and deal with health issues that involve chronic pain and fatigue. (Hey if I can prep anybody can!)  I'm married to a sweetheart of a guy who feels the same way I do about prepping.  I'm an avid knitter, and beginning spinner.

Offline susan1957

• Senior Survivalist
  • Steel Magnolia
    • Smith's Simple Frugal Life
Re: Intro Thread
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2008, 05:53:44 PM »
Hi Nancy, I'm Susan from West Tennessee.  I have 3 children (grown) and 3 that we now have custody of that are ages 5,6,and 8. I also have 6 grandchildren. My husband and I work at the same company and I work full time.  My husband is slow to decide to prepare but with all that has gone on lately has joined the bandwagon just to make me happy I think.  I'm pre-diabetic, and survived thyroid cancer so I'm a survivor in more ways than one.  My focus is to get fit and get prepared because I feel something happening in this country soon. 

Offline DarkEyes

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2008, 06:59:49 PM »
Hi ya'll.  I am also from West Tennessee.  I have 4 children, 2 step-children, and 4 grandchildren.  I work full time.  My husband is retired.  My two youngest children still live at home.  I am very concerned about the direction this country is headed.  I think the most important asset you can have in any situation is the sheer will to survive.  I do need to put more emphasis on fitness.  I would like to think I could run a mile if I had to. I am fortunate in that I don't take any medication on a regular basis.  I even managed to get past "the change" without  having to take hormones. My husband makes up for this by being on about 8 medications that he must be on to control diabetes and heart disease.  I am glad that we have our own thread.  I don't worry so much about firearms, ammo, or gunpowder. Guys at the range have said, "Geez, she doesn't look dangerous!"  I think that's an asset.  I do worry about how I would take care of my two children in a SHTF scenario if something happened to my husband.  He really has not done all that much to prepare for such an event, but I do depend on him alot.

Offline Crosstimbers

• Prepper
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2008, 07:42:21 PM »
The whole gun issue troubles me.  My husband is more likely to be hunting a part for a vintage car than any animal!  I've thought about getting one (and training to go with it) but I have family members with depression issues and I can't in good conscience have one in the house.  So I concentrate on food and water prep.  Anyone else struggle with the whole gun issue?

Offline DarkEyes

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2008, 09:58:27 PM »
Notice I said I have 2 step sons.  When my husband and I got married, he had a son with depression issues.  I sold all my guns.  He moved out about 10 years ago  and moved to  another part of the country. We haven't heard much from him since.  (He had other issues as well) At any rate, just in the last few years I started buying a few guns.  I have a carry permit.  Most of the time, I don't carry.  If my job requires me to go into a part of town that I know isn't safe, I will carry.  My husband is not well.  My two children that are still at home depend on me for the roof over their heads.  If someone wants to take my money...fine..they can have it, but that is ALL they are going to get without me putting a rather large hole in them.

Offline DarkEyes

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2008, 07:09:32 PM »
The whole gun issue troubles me.  My husband is more likely to be hunting a part for a vintage car than any animal!  I've thought about getting one (and training to go with it) but I have family members with depression issues and I can't in good conscience have one in the house.  So I concentrate on food and water prep.  Anyone else struggle with the whole gun issue?

Just curious--do you have a plan for defending yourself and your property if you had to? 

Offline susan1957

• Senior Survivalist
  • Steel Magnolia
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2008, 07:14:05 PM »
I don't own gun but I do know how to shoot.  I grew up going hunting with my father because he wanted a son I guess.  It may have also been to give my mother a break since she had 4 children at home.(Haha)
Having a gun isn't what makes you a survivor.  What's between your ears makes you one.   I believe there are alot of situations you can change if you use your head.  Most of what keeps people from being surviors is thinking they are victims.  

Offline Pangie

• Prepper
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2008, 10:18:34 PM »
DarkEyes re: defending
I went to a self-defense presentation at work a few months ago after a woman was harassed when she walked out to her car after work.  The presentation was given by a police officer.  He mentioned that some people carry guns or pepper spray for self defense.  The biggest problem he's seen with these are that those who carry pepper spray have never tested their pepper sprays so they might not even know how to use it, and those who carry guns haven't really considered the fact that if they shoot someone, the person might have a good chance of dying.  He said if you are not OK with this idea, don't even bother getting a gun or learning to shoot, because if it comes down to it and you can't shoot someone, you've just wasted your time and money.

I could never shoot anyone.  I know this about myself, so I don't even worry about getting one or learning to shoot.  I have pepper spray, I have tested it, and I have no problems with the idea of spraying someone.  I carry a pocket knife, and though I can't say for certain since the situation has never presented itself, but I think if it came down to it I would be able to stab someone to protect myself.

I'm not sure if that's what you were looking for, but that's what I've got to say on the topic. :)

susan1957 re: "Most of what keeps people from being survivors is thinking they are victims."
I like that.

Offline DarkEyes

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2008, 05:35:31 AM »
Pangie--I was only looking to help you figure out a way to defend yourself if the need ever arose in a SHTF scenario.  If there is a food shortage, and you have stockpiled food, you are awakened in the middle of the night by people breaking in your house--what would you do? 

Offline Pangie

• Prepper
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2008, 07:42:26 AM »
DarkEyes:
Gotcha.  I think I would go with the knife/pepper spray thing, then.  I also box a bit, so I can hold my own in a fist fight, too, if it came to it.

Offline Crosstimbers

• Prepper
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2008, 08:04:16 PM »
I really have no idea what I'd do, that's the problem.  I just know that the odds of a depressed family member using a gun to commit suicide are more likely than the odds of me having to fend off a burglar.  I should probably go the pepper spray route at least.  If there is a serious break down in society I might have to consider moving in with one of my 6'5" sons!

Offline DarkEyes

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2008, 09:02:53 PM »
Could your sons move in with you?  Are they doing anything to prepare? I think in a SHTF deal, you're better off in a "compound" environment.  The light that came on for me in CERT training last weekend was the way they take a group of people and organize them into groups with different but very important responsibilities.  They did a pyramid, with a leader at the top, then five blocks underneath with responsibilities as follows:  fire suppression, medical, search and rescue, logistics and communications, and staffing equipment and supplies.  Depending on the number of like minded people in your "compound", you can make this same organizational chart work for a bug in situation.  Everyone in my family has different talents.  My daughter knows CPR, she has to put together the first aid kit, medical supplies we might need, my son is 13, he is in charge of fire extinguishers, knows how to use them and under what circumstances.  He also has been a big help in trying to figure out how to "secure our perimeter" if it becomes necessary, is smarter than the other 3 of us in communications.  I work on equipment and supplies.  The idea here is nobody becomes overwhelmed  by having to do everything, you get more ground covered in a shorter period of time, and most importantly, there iIS safety in numbers.

Offline krymsonowl

• Prepper
« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2008, 09:28:46 AM »
Hi, I am Rhyanna.  I am in NW Arkansas.  I am 60 and live alone with basically no family anywhere close and other than a few acquaintances that is it.  I do have a cat who works to keep me amused.  I try and do what I can to prepare, although I do live in a little apartment which limits some things.  I do have 2 closets which are my storage areas, ok, there is stuff stuffed everywhere.  I looked in the entertainment center for a game the other day and found a large can of chicken.  I have got to organize things, which is on my list of things I must do along with de-aging.  I found that when one lives alone without a lot of human contact for a extended period of time it becomes difficult to rejoin the human race.  On the other hand perhaps it is because there is no one around who has a clue of what is going on and they do not wish to know.  I have thought of getting a gun for protection and I think if someone was coming in to take what is mine and to do me harm I would have no compunction about shooting him/her.  I did hear that Mossburg makes a pink 20 gauge and that might be an option. 

Offline DarkEyes

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2008, 03:36:13 PM »
Welcome to the forum Rhyanna---I think I might like have to have a pink 20 gauge!

Offline susan1957

• Senior Survivalist
  • Steel Magnolia
« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2008, 05:12:13 PM »
That does sound cool...a Pink 20 guage.  Now, also my curiousity is peaked...how do you de-age?  I'd like a case of that.
Welcome to the forum.

Offline krymsonowl

• Prepper
« Reply #15 on: October 16, 2008, 09:05:30 PM »
Ah, the de-aging that is the question.  I am still on a quest to discover the elixir or whatever.  It is on my list of things to do right after I get organized.  Now mind you I have been on that quest for most of my life and it still eludes me.  Perhaps I should try something easier like a nap. 

SoCalMom

« Reply #16 on: October 17, 2008, 05:38:01 AM »
Hey everyone,
      Hope I do this right, this is my first post. I'm 45 have 3 children and live in so cal. I have a couple of concerns for the worst case scenario. A few of you mentioned having medical problems that you need meds for. I have epilepsy and unfortunately cannot stockpile meds for later. I scared of not being able to get them. Not sure if it would ever come to that but that is my first concern. The second is, most people talk about their 'retreats' or homes as rural farms. I'm in the suburbs and we rent so no major changes can be made. We are armed. Any ideas?

Offline Aunt Bee

• Prepper
« Reply #17 on: October 17, 2008, 12:17:44 PM »
Hey y'all,

I'm Bee and I'm in my early fifties, have grown children and am married to my high school sweetheart.  We live in the mountains of western Arkansas out in the country and I'm self employed but also work for another company.

I've been prepping most of my married life but got very serious about it a few years back.  The possibility of a pandemic is what made me take my preps a Little more seriously.  DH goes along with it and appreciates that I'm taking care of the family but he's not as on board as I am but agrees with anything I want to do and helps me in any way he can.  He's coming around more all the time.  My preps are mainly focused on food.  We live on a year round creek and have a couple of wells and a Berkey that we use for all our drinking water so I'm pretty well covered with water.  I have dairy goats and will be getting chickens before spring I hope.  The thing I really need to do is get my home more organized but it's so hard to do with two jobs plus I'm the only cook in my family and if you prep, you have to cook to keep all that food rotated.  Also if you make the commitment to store wheat and grind your own flour and make your own bread, you can count on spending a few hours a week on that too.  Once you get used to it, it's hard to buy bread even when you don't feel like baking it.

About the gun issue...I can certainly understand the reluctance to have them in the home if you have a family member with any issues.  Sometimes you just have to make hard decisions but the well being of a loved one would come first with me too.  I've personally never even killed an animal but one of my sons is an avid hunter so we have guns. My latest goal is to become a better marksman myself.  Everyone has to do what is right for them and I'd never judge anyone one way or the other in any issue.  I do good to take care of myself  ;D.

Bee

Offline Crosstimbers

• Prepper
« Reply #18 on: October 17, 2008, 12:53:21 PM »
Could your sons move in with you?  Are they doing anything to prepare? I think in a SHTF deal, you're better off in a "compound" environment. 

I totally agree...the best chance for survival is community.  As for my sons, they are both newlyweds (a month apart this summer!) and live in different parts of the state.  No, they don't prep although I have tried to bring it up with both of them.  I do prep with my grown children and grandchild in mind though.

Greetings to our new members!  I assumed there wouldn't be that many women listeners but I was wrong!  I also thought that what women there were would be younger than me.   Wrong again.  It is gratifying to see other women "of a certain age" interested in survival/prepping! 

To you guys in NW Arkansas...I'm in NE OK.  We should do lunch!

Offline Aunt Bee

• Prepper
« Reply #19 on: October 17, 2008, 12:59:52 PM »
Thanks for the welcome.  I would love to have a get togeher.  Many of us from the old fluwiki board in this general area tried to arrange a meeting but they did away with the old board and most didn't go to the new one.

We often commented and pondered the fact that most of us were women in our general age group.  My thought was that lots of young folks couldn't afford the time or money to prep and that women are gatherers by nature.

Chellieanne

« Reply #20 on: October 18, 2008, 08:53:19 AM »
I'm Michele.  I will be 60 next month, I can't believe I'm that old!  I live alone  in Maine(except for my very large-20 lb. cat, Bobcat Dylan-he is vocal and demanding).  I have a large house with a little over 3 acres situated in the middle of town.  My three adult sons are in Arizona, NYC and about 4 miles across town.

Work full time for a stock broker and found this group in my search for interesting podcasts-the first one I heard was on the economy and it was such a contrast to what I was hearing at work that I got hooked. 

My interest include knitting, sewing and reading and lately organizing and planning-very glad to find you.

Kara

« Reply #21 on: October 18, 2008, 09:53:03 AM »
Greetings ladies,

My name is Wintersparrow... I am a married mother of two teenage boys.  I work full time away from home, and I am just now getting back into the swing of being prepared. I used to have a really great pantry and was always into making extra meals and freezing them, but we hit some really hard financial times, and just now have gotten back on our feet. I am currently renovating a space to make a large pantry, and am learning how to can. I come from a family full of green thumbs, but mine has always been kind of wilty looking with yellow spots on it...I've just never had the knack for gardening. However, this year I had success with some herbs, and some pepper plants, so I am going to go larger scale next year and turn some of my small back yard into garden.

With regard to the question about weapons and defense, it's something I have thought long and hard about. We don't have guns, as my husband isn't into hunting, and there have been accidental deaths of children by guns in my family and elsewhere in the local area when I was as growing up. I will say that anything I have close to hand is a weapon and I'm not afraid to use whatever I have handy to stop whatever criminal decides to invade my home and hurt my family, if possible. I know that sounds a little rabid, and I hate the idea of potentially mortally wounding anyone, but I just will have no pity for those who would do us harm.   The section of town we live in can be a little scary sometimes, so this is something I have had to really consider as a clear and present danger.

I am so happy to have found this podcast, and to meet you all. I look forward to getting to know you!

Wintersparrow
« Last Edit: May 12, 2009, 12:34:04 PM by Sister Wolf »

Offline Pangie

• Prepper
« Reply #22 on: October 18, 2008, 07:01:55 PM »
Hey Wintersparrow!  *waves*  Do you see me?  Do you see me?  I'm just to the east of ya!  I'm in ND, too. :)
« Last Edit: May 12, 2009, 12:34:57 PM by Sister Wolf »

Offline DarkEyes

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #23 on: October 18, 2008, 09:17:54 PM »
Hey to all new members! Welcome to the forum.  Is it cold in North Dakota yet?

Offline Pangie

• Prepper
« Reply #24 on: October 19, 2008, 01:36:22 AM »
It's been cool, but not cold, here lately.  I checked this evening when I was thinking about taking a walk and it was 52.  Not bad after dark. :)

Kara

« Reply #25 on: October 19, 2008, 08:30:21 AM »
Pangie! I am so glad to hear that I am not the lone representative for ND on this board!

<<<Waving back!>>>>

Offline flagtag

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #26 on: October 19, 2008, 02:10:45 PM »
Hello, Wintersparrow, and welcome.
I am from IL and the weather here is still good. (40's at night, upper 60's during the day.  LOVE it!)

Sounds like you have a great start. (Just keep feeding that thumb nutrients and it will be ok.  :D)  I, too, plan on trying a garden next year. I have the seeds ready to go.  I would also like to have an apple tree and a pear tree. (A friend gave me some of her pears and I made pearsauce with them. Excellent, even if I do say so myself!) (pats self on back)  ;D
Do you have a long growing season there?
There is nothing like home-grown greenbeans, potatoes, and bacon (well, maybe the bacon wouldn't be "home-grown".) REAL FOOD!
I also plan on planting garlic. What a difference.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2009, 12:35:14 PM by Sister Wolf »

Kara

« Reply #27 on: October 26, 2008, 12:29:13 PM »
Greetings Flagtag, and thanks for such a warm welcome!

LOL...I wish cultivating a green thumb was as easy as adding nutrients...perhaps a good soaking in Miraclegro?

The weather here has taken a dive into the cold and windy realms. Yesterday, it was in the 50's and windy, which was just warm enough for me to get out and install my new porch lights. Last night, the wind howled something fierce, and this morning my husband went outside to discover that the front door light had rotated on its side because of the wind, even though I screwed it on as tight as I could! Today we have temps in the high 30s, and it smells like snow...here comes winter!

:)
Wintersparrow
« Last Edit: May 12, 2009, 12:32:57 PM by Sister Wolf »

Offline flagtag

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #28 on: October 26, 2008, 04:21:01 PM »
The wind is blowing pretty hard here right now - playing games with the power.  It's not REAL cold, but the wind cuts a bit.  My poor flagpole is taking a beating. I may have to take my flag down for a while.  :(

SCKYHWoman

« Reply #29 on: October 31, 2008, 08:37:05 PM »
Jennifer here, 4 grown children, 5 grandchildren, 47 I think.....Living alone in SC KY...Grampa say I have always been of the Survivalist mind set....that is how I found this site...looking for new info...and glad to see other women interested in same topics...including spouses that are-where slow to jump on the wagon. Anyone else in KY or am I all alone?