Author Topic: Intro Thread  (Read 47227 times)

Slowfade

Re: Intro Thread
« Reply #30 on: November 03, 2008, 08:30:55 AM »
Hi, everyone

I'm Pat...I live in northern indiana. I'm 41, married and have three kids, two of which are still at home. I don't work, but somehow still manage to stay pretty busy. Prepping is something I'm fairly new at. I keep getting the feeling something is coming, and I have the strongest urge to do something, but often don't know what. Right now I'm mostly concentrating on food, and learning as much as I possibly can. My husband really doesn't think there's any problems on the horizon, but he's one of those rose colored glasses types. His philosophy is, when something happens, then we'll do something about it.  ???
But he is a hunter and gardener, so he's helping whether he knows it or not.
We both want to live in KY, and bought land in the Glasgow area...there's nothing on the land yet, and we can't really build anything until we can be there to keep an eye on it. Somewhere on the land there's suppose to be a cave, so our next adventure is trying to find it and checking it out. Sounds like fun.

As for guns, I prefer purple myself, but can't seem to find one in that color  ;D 
Seriously, though, I'll probably be one of the pepper spray toters. I know how to shoot, but the only guns we have are my husbands hunting rifles, which are locked away any time it's not hunting season.

I'm also glad to see so many other lady preppers!

Offline flagtag

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #31 on: November 03, 2008, 10:24:28 AM »
WELCOME!  Enjoy the ride.  Everyone here is fantastic!  You can learn, you can teach, we all share.  I think you will like it here.
Again, welcome to the "family".  ;D

Offline mrs gator

• Survivor
« Reply #32 on: November 21, 2008, 07:37:29 PM »
Hey ladies! I'm 24, from Alabama, have a husband(Tash around these parts) and a 5 year old son. I have been into this for a while and listening to the podcast, but just now got around to signing up(between kindergarten, college and being a working mother, can ya blame me?).

I just wanted to introduce myself. Haven't quite found my niche yet, but I'm sure it will happen sooner rather than later  ;D

Kara

« Reply #33 on: November 21, 2008, 08:03:27 PM »
Greetings to all the new ladies here! This has been a fantastic place to hang out, and I hope you enjoy your time here has much as I have.

Wintersparrow  :)
« Last Edit: May 12, 2009, 12:25:05 PM by Sister Wolf »

Pokethis

« Reply #34 on: November 26, 2008, 12:02:29 AM »
Alright all you girls!  Know that we are not the talkers and that men talk way more than women!!!  Just look at the stats on this board!  Then we say something that is perfectly good and no action until some other man says the same thing then it's good!!!!  WTH!!!  Someone else said something similar like I said it then some guy said it two minutes later and it was a great idea!!  Okay, calm down.  How many times has this happened to you?

Offline flagtag

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #35 on: November 26, 2008, 09:35:05 AM »
Quite often.  I am a school bus driver and when I "write up" a defect/problem with my bus - nothing!  But if someone else (male) uses my bus for anything, and reports the same thing - done now!
(Statements like: "You just don't know how to drive it." Or: "You're just imagining it". Etc. (Give me a break! I've been driving the same bus for 4 years - I KNOW if something is not right about it. But, hey! I'm just a woman.  >:( )

Offline TXChikk

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Lovely
    • Foxy Flair
« Reply #36 on: November 26, 2008, 09:53:42 AM »
Pokethis: I totally get it....my ex-husband had that mentality too but he was oh so quick to let me handle all the stuff he didn't want to, like changing the oil, fixing the brakes on the car the plumbing under the house, wiring for the damned dryer.....hell, he even told me he didn't think i could last through college or survive college math....well, i now have one degree and one more to go and he's probably never set foot on a college campus.....i missed out on a lot of things growing up simply because 'You cant do that because you're a woman' or 'Our women don't do stuff like that...'....BS....

LOL....sorry for the rant! despite how it sounds i'm not a man-hater, just an ignorance hater!!

[vent over.......for now ;)]

Honorbound

« Reply #37 on: November 28, 2008, 12:14:55 PM »
Greetings ladies,

Hannah here, I have one fabulous DH, and two wonderful children, a son and a daughter whom I homeschool.  We live on a small homestead in SW Florida, though I'd like to move LIKE NOW to somewhere in the mountains.  I've been prepping since 1998 and I'm still working on my DH.  He tolerates my prepping but doesn't much like to think about or talk about it or entertain the reason for the need.  But as I said, he tolerates it and buys me "prep oriented" tools he knows I'd like for presents.

We are working towards self-sustainabililty and one day I'd like to make it OFF grid.  But in the meantime the process is exciting!

We exersize our 2 ammendment freedoms on a daily basis, in fact I teach afirearm safety class and a concealed weapons course in our local area.  Our whole family is also very involved in taekwaondo with both children and DH having earned their 1st degree black belt.  I will be testing for my first degree black belt in 2 weeks!

Cabindreamer72

« Reply #38 on: December 11, 2008, 07:44:33 PM »
Gosh where to start-I live in Northern IL at the moment..I'm a recently seperated lady in her mid-30's..I guess I could have my perfect homesteading hubby but his control issues and negativity pushed me away..So now I'm on my own for the first time ever and would like to start living simple..
I was born in the northwood of Wisconsin and have alway felt drawn to the country lifestlye..I just found this website and was happy to see a ladies room..
It's hard to find men and woman who believe in this lifestyle..I always get the 'Are you Crazy'look..
So Hello to all of you:)

Offline DarkEyes

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #39 on: December 11, 2008, 08:57:17 PM »
Hello, and welcome.  Who knows what makes some of us more prep oriented than others.  I have noticed though, that more and more people are openly talking about the things they see going on, like at work today, I actually had a couple of the fellows suggest that we form a group of "like minded" people, take an inventory of skills, and go ahead and elect leaders, figure out what everyone was supposed to do, yadda yadda yadda.  I told them I wasn't interested.  I can count on one hand the number of people I trust, and that me and mine would make it just fine.  I do think a community would be good, but I am not willing to take orders from someone that I think just wants my supplies and bug out location.

Pokethis

« Reply #40 on: December 11, 2008, 09:10:14 PM »
Cabindreamer, you can count on us for support and lively discussion.

Offline sassiesmom

• Prepper
    • Boost Virtual Services
« Reply #41 on: December 21, 2008, 03:33:12 AM »
Hey Ladies!  I'm Cathy, 42, married and have a daugher who just turned 16.  We live in central British Columbia, Canada on a little over 10 acres.  At this point we have chickens and turkeys as well as a fairly large garden and small field for my daughers horse.  I've been listening to the podcasts for a couple months now and have been slowly building up a stash of food and emergency supplies.  Each of us has our own bug out bag that we've been slowly building but we have them stored in our house and I always think that as much as it's good to have the BOB, what happens if we aren't home during an emergency and can't get home to grab them?  That's one of my concerns.  I do need to work on completing them though as well as having a central area at home here for emergency items.  We do a lot of camping, etc so we have a lot of equipment that would be suitable for emergency preparedness, but it's not exactly organized!  And...I need to get something into the car so that in case of a road emergency, we will have some supplies handy especially now that winter has arrived.

Anyways....just wanted to say hi to everyone!

Offline flagtag

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #42 on: December 21, 2008, 08:02:11 AM »
I wouldn't hurt to have a seperate BOB for the car and/or office/school.  If you have a locker or desk drawer, you might leave a smaller bag at work or your daughter's school. 
I have a tub that I have supplies stored in the bed of my truck as well as a Go bag.  I also have a tub and bag at home. (Backpacks are pretty cheap - esp. at the end of the school year) (I got 3 computer backpacks a couple years ago for $10.oo each. There is an extra "bag" which is supposed to hold the laptop, and a mouse & port - which I don't use)
LOVE the clearance isle!

Sounds like you are doing pretty well!  Are your husband and daughter on board with the preps as you are?

Pokethis

« Reply #43 on: December 21, 2008, 12:19:51 PM »
Welcome Sassiesmom.  I, like flagtag, have several bags.  One is kept at home and is packed for 12 - 24 hours in case my house burns down.  One is a bit more substantial that I carry with me in the car or take into where ever I am.  And of course my purse is a mini bag I always carry.

Sounds like you are well on the path to preparedness!

Offline sassiesmom

• Prepper
    • Boost Virtual Services
« Reply #44 on: December 21, 2008, 02:40:16 PM »
Thanks for the welcome!  Right now my daughter and I both have pretty large hiking backpacks (bigger than a school-sized one) and are 'supposed' to have everything we need for at least 72 hours including tents, sleeping bags, etc....just in case we are all separated each of us can survive on our own.  However....'supposed to' and 'do' are two different things.  The more I think about it, the more I realize that we are seldom that separate from each other.  My daughter homeschools so for the most part she is either here at home or at my parents home in town (about 15 miles away).  I work full-time in town so having something in the car with me is probably better than having it here at home. The idea of packing such a huge pack is silly, so I might have to rethink this plan and create a pack or rubbermaid tub for in the car and have smaller, more personalized, packs for each of us to have individually.  Husband has his own older packboard which has more of the tent and camping items already in it and is also stored here at home. 

We do have a bit of food stored away, not as much as some of the supplies I've seen on here yet, but one day maybe!  We were fortunate enough to get a moose this year so between that and a 1/4 of a free-range cow, our deep freeze is full to the rim.  It's definitely been a blessing this year, dh was laid off from his job last week so there goes 1/2 of our income.  Yikes! 

So I'm thinking ... I know.... not my strong point! LOL  but maybe one of our large packs could be for food/cooking supplies and one for tools/gear/extra clothing to keep at home and then have a tote of similar supplies in the car.

And yes, for the most part, they're both in line with the preparedness thing.  We've been reminded from our congregation that it's good to be prepared in the event of an emergency...the local officials will have enough to do and we need to be self-sufficient....so in that respect, we are all being obedient Christians and doing our part! lol  Getting the list together and organized is another thing though and we're working on it.  The resources here on this site are incredible and I'm loving going through everything.  Our big SHTF scenario is when the power goes out...especially in the winter.  We have a well for water so we'll need to get a generator ready as well as extra fuel for it.  We heat with a wood furnace and have just installed a cute little second-hand wood cookstove in the dining room, so we'll be warm and fed.  Wait, just found out that my dads genny (stored here) won't run the well...sigh.  More to do there then. 

Anyways, we're slowly making progress with preps...need to work on decreasing our debt.  Big job there!
Cathy

Offline flagtag

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #45 on: December 21, 2008, 03:07:02 PM »
Sounds to me that you are doing great.  Much better than I am.  Do you have a checklist and contact info in each bag? Money?  You can go to EmergencyEssentials.com , scroll down the left and look for a box (can't remember what it says now - but top one) click on that and you will find links to forms that you can print out, fill in, and check off for each item - and it could be adjusted to fit your family situation.  (The bottom box is "Recipes", I believe)

But, I still believe you are doing really well.

Kara

« Reply #46 on: December 21, 2008, 04:07:42 PM »
Hi all!

Something I found on another part of the forum is the "5 gallon bugout bucket" thread...which would go along way to helping solve the problem of making sure you have something in your car, in case you can't get home. Pretty interesting stuff:

http://thesurvivalpodcast.com/forum/index.php?topic=1715.0;topicseen

Offline bonnie

• Prepper
« Reply #47 on: December 23, 2008, 02:29:49 PM »
I did hear that Mossburg makes a pink 20 gauge and that might be an option. 

Seriously, what guns do you recommend for a woman without a lot of upper body strength.  I suppose I should lift weights or something.  My husband has a ton of guns but most are too heavy for me and if I am going to know how to use something and know where it is, I need something of my own.

He suggested a Winchester Defender for a 12-gauge shotgun, a Smith and Wesson model 10 revolver 38 special, and a Browning Hi-power 9mm.  He didn't write down what that was.  Is is a handgun?

I think if I felt like my life was threatened, I could shoot.

Offline bonnie

• Prepper
« Reply #48 on: December 23, 2008, 02:55:36 PM »
I better introduce myself as well.  I just joined last week but have been listening to the podcast for about a month or so.  I found it when I was searching iTunes for podcasts for my iPod.

I am 54 and my husband is 46.  We don't have any children.  He is unemployed but is not looking and has decided he is retired.  But it sounds like his old boss is going to try to get him to come back to work again.  I work half-time at the state psychiatric hospital for good medical benefits.  The other days I teach college classes online from home.  I am also taking a medical transcription course and hope to do that part-time from home for awhile because it will give me another thing I teach.  I'm studing for my medical coding credentials so I can teach that as well.  At the one school I am teaching with, I teach Intro to Health Services and Information Systems.  I'm starting orientation to teach at another school.  I'm not sure what they are going to have me teach.  Probably medical law or medical terminology.

My husband thinks prepping is silly but we really are prepped pretty well.  We've been without power because of the snow storm in Western Oregon since Sunday morning.  It just came on a few minutes ago (2 1/2 days after it went out).  I haven't turned the generator off yet.  I wanted to make sure it was going to stay on this time.  We live on 30 acres in an area where most of the neighbors have 10-50 acres in Western Oregon in the eastern foothills of the coast range.  They've all been calling my husband for help and he's been running up and down the road on his 4-trax since he's not going to try getting up and down our driveway right now even with a 4WD.  He loaned a generator to one neighbor who needed to pump water to the barn since this livestock water was freezing.  He helped another neighbor fix his generator.  He picked up a battery for a breathing machine from another neighbor and brought it home to charge and will take it back when charged.  He finished off a llama and used his backhoe to bury it for another neighbor.  He checked on another elderly neighbor that he calls "combat Bob".  He went to town with another neighbor to pick up medications and some groceries for the neighbor he's charging the breathing machine battery for.  I think there's more.  What would the people on this road do without him??!!

survivalmomma

Hello from SW Florida
« Reply #49 on: January 04, 2009, 07:27:39 PM »
I've been listening to Jack for several weeks and finally had a chance to really catch up on some old episodes while traveling this past weekend.

My dh and I homeschool our two boys (17 and 14) in sunny SW Florida.  I have been very interested in learning new skills and being more self-sustaining.  My younger son is pretty interested as well, so we learn together.  My homeschool philosophy has always been that we should do as much "real life" learning as possible.  I also own my own business selling homeschool curriculum (both the books I've published and others), and I write for some publications, speak at homeschool events, etc.  It isn't enough to support us, but it is very rewarding to help others on their journey, and it does bring in some extra money.

As far as prepping - most of my "work" has been researching and learning.  I have started to make a list of items we need to stock, I've got a few things (mostly toiletries) to where we could last a couple months at least.  I already grind our own grain for bread, muffins, pancakes, etc., so I have a good supply of wheat.  This week I'm planning on getting some extra honey, salt, oil and yeast.  For homesteading/self-sustaining activites, well, so far I've got a couple raised beds in, with more to be built/planted over the next 3 weeks.  I'm planting veggies, but have a few herbs as well.  I recently learned how to make soap and I'm looking forward to making some herbal salves and oils over the next few months.

I'm looking forward to learning from everyone and contributing here whenever I can! 

Offline 19kilo

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #50 on: January 04, 2009, 07:52:48 PM »
My husband thinks prepping is silly

Sounds like you guys are already in the mindset.

Welcome to the forums

Offline flagtag

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #51 on: January 04, 2009, 08:31:08 PM »
Welcome 'momma.
I have a feeling that you can do a lot more teaching than most.  We could learn from you.

Offline bonnie

• Prepper
« Reply #52 on: January 07, 2009, 04:46:15 PM »
I have an overnight bag in my purse with a change of undies, personal hygiene items and snacks.  I keep a change of clothes in the car, both for business and for dirty work besides my 72-hour pack in a backpack.  On one occasion I couldn't get home from work because of floods.  The roads around my house were all closed.  My house was fine because I live up on a hill.  So part of my prepping is to make sure if I'm dressed in a business suit and need to put on chains or change a flat tire, I've got clothes handy that will work.  If I can't get home from work because of road closures I've got clothes for work the next day.  I need to get more familiar with the back roads so I can go off the highway more easily.  But if the highway is closed for flooding, the back roads around there are going to be worse.

Since I'm a ham radio operator, I'm going to set up a case with a complete set of ham radio gear that I can throw in the car and go if needed.  I already have a good set of antennas in a bag that are easy to put up for field operations and communications.  My husband keeps saying he'll help me install a complete set of radio gear in a container but since it's not happening, I guess I will have to do it myself even though I work at multiple part-time jobs (one away from home, the rest from home) and he isn't working!

Offline flagtag

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #53 on: January 07, 2009, 05:55:04 PM »
Hmmm!  You're not married to my son are you?  ;D

homegrown

« Reply #54 on: January 07, 2009, 06:00:48 PM »
Hi all, what a good idea! I'm 35 and a mother to a 3.5 year old...my family lives in the Eastern Caribbean, Barbados to be exact...I read an earlier post about a husband with rose colored glasses, well mine is approaching that status. I listen to the world news...he has no idea what is going on!!!

I am addicted to gardening and I am slowing building my garden up, plant by plant. I can garden all year round but I learned this past November that massive amounts of driving rain can basically wipe out your garden.

Anyway, I really like listening to Jack-- and I hope to learn loads from this forum!

See you around!

Offline flagtag

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #55 on: January 07, 2009, 06:51:02 PM »
Welcome, homegrown.

I imagine we could learn a bit from you as well.
 Wow! Year round gardening!  How cool is that? Fresh veggies all the time.

homegrown

« Reply #56 on: January 07, 2009, 07:00:51 PM »
Thanks for the welcome!

Last year was my 1st year-round year...no matter what you have to give the soil a break and make sure that you are constantly adding some kind of organic matter ie, compost. Constant sun, wind, and rain really take a toll on the soil. So just like the states the garden ebbs and flows through *seasons* just no SNOW!!! Yay!

Offline flagtag

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #57 on: January 07, 2009, 07:26:41 PM »
Right now, I wouldn't mind some snow. It seems that what we've been getting the most of is ICE! (I hate ice.)
I am a school bus driver and the school system that my company contracts to will fight taking "snow days". My bus "fishtailed" three times this morning.

homegrown

« Reply #58 on: January 07, 2009, 07:52:38 PM »
Be careful flagtag...

Offline flagtag

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #59 on: January 07, 2009, 08:32:21 PM »
Oh yeah!  I creep along but the ice was so slick this morning. (Just warm enough to "wet" the ice, making it slicker)
But, by this afternoon's route, most of it was melted and/or dried by the wind. (but the temps dropped a TON!)