Author Topic: Intro Thread  (Read 47242 times)

Offline kimber

• Prepper
Re: Intro Thread
« Reply #60 on: January 09, 2009, 03:59:27 PM »
Hello!
 My name is Kim - I know not real clever with my user name. But a Kimber hand gun is a dream of mine.....

Anyway.. I'm 36 and my husband and I have 3 children (16 & 10 yr old DDs and an ALMOST 14 yr old DS). I homeschool all three of them. Ah- High School math  :P I'm a stay at home mom and DH is an electrician and a member of our local fire rescue and dive team. Our 16yr old daughter is also a member of the same.

We live in a rural section on NJ. We live on the outskirts of a very tiny town. I hate living in NJ but we do have the best homeschool laws in the country and as long as that doesn't change we'll hang around.

Dh and I have been preppers since about 1997. He's a former Marine so he has the home defense covered. We all enjoy shooting and I know I'd have no problem shooting to kill in an extreme case. Don't get me wrong - I'm not a violent person, but I just know that I can do that.

Right now we are concentrating on our water supply and building up our wood supply. As well as, of course, building up our food supply.

Our big project will be a garden. We have lived in this house for 5 years and we haven't had a garden yet.  I have some health and mobility issues so this project will be done in large part by the kids. They are looking forward to it and I think it will be good for them.

So that's me! Nice to "meet" you all!

Offline flagtag

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #61 on: January 09, 2009, 05:00:00 PM »
Welcome, Kimber!  Glad to have you with us.  Sounds like you have a great family. And a great attitude toward survival.

I have learned so much already from this site and expect to learn even more.  There are so many great people here.  You won't be sorry you joined.

Offline Sister Wolf

• The Tiffanator
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Forum Veteran
  • Wanna have an adventure?
    • WilderWolf
« Reply #62 on: January 09, 2009, 05:07:31 PM »
Welcome Kimber!   :D  Nice to meet you too!

IRoberge

« Reply #63 on: January 10, 2009, 03:03:49 PM »
I did hear that Mossburg makes a pink 20 gauge and that might be an option. 

Seriously, what guns do you recommend for a woman without a lot of upper body strength.  I suppose I should lift weights or something.  My husband has a ton of guns but most are too heavy for me and if I am going to know how to use something and know where it is, I need something of my own.

He suggested a Winchester Defender for a 12-gauge shotgun, a Smith and Wesson model 10 revolver 38 special, and a Browning Hi-power 9mm.  He didn't write down what that was.  Is is a handgun?   I think if I felt like my life was threatened, I could shoot.

Hi all.  I'm Isabel from Connecticut and for YEARS I was vehemently opposed to weapons in our home.  I've always had a large pantry but never thought of "prepping" as a life style, until recently.  Last year DH and I took the NRA handgun safety course, we both registered for CCW permits
and now I have more handguns than he does! ::)

I have a small hand and not much upper body strength.  After shopping around and trying different weapons, I chose a Smith & Wesson M & P full size (not the compact) 9mm for my primary carry weapon.  It comes with an interchangeable backstrap and the small size fit my hand much better than most out there.   I took a defensive hand gun course and the instructor was very good at teaching me the best stance and grip so that recoil is not much of an issue.  This past summer I purchased a Rugar LCP .380.  Its small, fits in my pocket with showing, but a more recoil than the 9mm.       A great website for women who want to learn about weapons is www.corneredcat.com

Oh this was going to be an introduction so......I 48, married to the most wonderful DH, and have two sons 22 & 16 that are here with us.  Also, our oldest son's best friend, recently joined us here.  Our 22 yo is professional chef and I am very proud of him.   I work full time outside the home, and am taking college classes that my employer generously pays for. 

This past summer we planted our first garden in many years and I canned the little bit it produced.  This spring we will enlarge the garden tremendously, plant fruit trees and bushes and are planning on adding chickens and maybe a couple of pigs to our little 2 acre homestead. 

In my spare time, (between 2 and 4 am  :D)  I like to knit, bake, cook, listen to several podcasts, and read internet forums. 

Looking forward to learning from everyone!!

Isabel

skiffgirl

« Reply #64 on: January 12, 2009, 11:48:47 AM »
Hi
I am Valerie, I am 26 and I live in Alaska. I am getting married to my sweetheart of 7 years next December. We are both into the prepping but he does not listen to Jack, not because he does not like him just because he does not have an ipod and can't sit still long enough to listen to him on the computer. So I just tell him what I think we need to do and we both try to work on it. We are still pretty new to this but we both grew up in pretty prepared households. I grew up in a community that you had to boat to so you had to be prepared by nature and his mom was just a preparer in general. We are both avid hunters, I had never hunted before we got together but we commercial fished for a living and my family hunted and he grew up hunting and sport fishing. So when we got together I taught him what I knew about boating and he has been teaching me about hunting.

As for the gun issue because we are hunters we have quite a few guns in the house and I am comfortable with all of them. I would not want to shoot someone but if they were after me or mine then I would not hesitate.

Offline TXChikk

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Lovely
    • Foxy Flair
« Reply #65 on: January 12, 2009, 12:15:00 PM »
Welcome skiffgirl & Isabel! Glad to have you!

Sherman

« Reply #66 on: January 15, 2009, 04:56:24 PM »
Hi!  Central Texas here!  I'm Sandra, 57yo, mother of two, both grown and independent. Soloing on 5 acres several miles out in the wilds NE of Bastrop, working on turning it into a quiet little Hobby Farm that would supply as much of my needs as possible if the worst came to be. Raised on a dairy farm, comfortable with guns and knives, served a tour in the Navy back in the 70s, now an RN working as a Home Health Nurse. Better with the "feminine" side of survival.... raising and preserving foods (vegetable, fruits, small livestock), clothing, candles, soap-making, herbs (culinary and medicinal)...etc. Just got some friends interested in preparing for 'disasters' of the small and local kind (power failures, say).... *heavy sigh*  we have a LOOOONG ways to go...... but it's a start!

Offline flagtag

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #67 on: January 15, 2009, 07:20:31 PM »
Welcome Sandra.

Sounds like you have "got it together".  ;D
You will find a lot of great people here - not a bad one in the bunch!
I have learned a lot from them. We are teachers AND students here.
Check out all the threads. So many interesting things to read.

Again - Welcome to our family.  :D

Offline TekkieFae

• Prepper
« Reply #68 on: January 15, 2009, 09:27:18 PM »
 I'm Noelle, 36, mother of a 9 year old son, and I'm an IT geek in Houston, Texas. I've been into the survivalist mentality for as long as I can remember. Hurricanes are what initially got me into it. Living in a coastal city they are a part of life – just like floods. It also helped that I'm the daughter of a decorated Vietnam vet, x-sheriff, camper, and birdwatcher. I was the only member of the family that liked camping, so my father and I took many trips throughout my youth.

I rid myself of all my debt over 10 years ago and I live as if credit were not even an option. This way I won't ever have anything to repossess or foreclose on if I cannot pay the bills.

Information technology has been a very tumultuous career choice. I supported mergers and rollouts for large companies, so I was almost like a freelance contractor. In order to not have to go into debt again, I had to make my cost of living such that I could sustain the periods in-between contracts. I have been VERY grateful that I had a couple months of stored food the times things got REALLY tough! Since the city is where the money is for me right now, I must stay. I am saving up to buy an RV with cash, then after that my bugout property. I will only buy what I can without ANY financing. After I have purchased both items I will save a bit more, then get out of the dodge of the city.

A couple years ago I became obsessed with container gardening and have grown my own carrots, strawberries, tomatoes, herbs, desert size watermelons, sugarcane, potatoes, cotton, peas and more. I even studied how to propagate crops straight from the organic grocery store produce department. Problem is, my job changed and it's hard to keep up with a garden if you're never home during daylight. Now most my garden is dead, but I have planted red potato vine from the grocery store spreading almost completely over one side of the house. I have sugar cane growing happily out of control. I have wild blackberry spreading from it's pot to the ground. From one year's obsession I have knowledge about what not to do! Since my new job takes me out of town often, trying to get my container crop going this year will be quite the challenge.

I have a complete set of camping gear, including a portable potty. I have a deep cycle 12 volt battery and inverters for laptops, fans, & such. I have a portable solar panel trickle charger and inverters & converters of all sorts. After hurricane Ike, I was able to charge all my phones & devices, let my son watch DVDs on my DVD player, run a laptop, light, and 3 small USB rotating fans for as long as I needed when no one else had electricity. I also did not have to worry about getting my generator stolen since I did not have to have any equipment outside. **This happened to a coworker of mine after just Ike! They came into his yard and stole the generator WITH the cinder blocks it was chained to!! I also did not have to worry about toxic fumes from a generator inside.

I carry tons of junk with me in my purse, and I always have a lighter. I have supplies and tools in my car for basic repairs, getting stuck in traffic or floods, etc. I have stored supplies at home with about a month of food for myself and my son.

I found the Survival Podcast searching for ‘Survival’ in iTunes about a month ago. I think this is an awesome community and I'm SO happy to see so many like-minded people!! Please keep it up!

-TekkieFae

Offline ebonearth

• TSP Bunny Rabbit Wrangler
  • Dedicated Contributor
  • Plant a Revolution!
« Reply #69 on: February 12, 2009, 07:05:13 PM »
Hello all.

My name's Marie, I am 34 and will reside in Orange County, NY most of the time. My interest in preparedness stemmed from a mix of upbringing, a desire to be self-sustaining and events in my past. I started to become serious about the survivalist lifestyle like many during the Y2K burp. Then when that seemed to come to nothing I almost got distracted until a pipe bomb on Wall Street almost took my head off little more than a month later. Ever since, despite being a single gal in NYC I began to prepare and never looked back. When my last job contract ended I decided it was high time I get to setting up my first real retreat.

I took NRA Hunter Education class last year but have little firearm experience beyond it, although I hope to rectify it soon enough. I became an EMT this past year since pandemics are one of my main concerns. Ham Radio is the next challenge I am trying my hand at, we'll see if I can make heads or tails of it soon enough. I am a marginally accomplished small scale gardener and this growing season will be my first attempt at really making a go of organic farming and permaculture for myself, now that I finally have the land for it!

Oh... and I have way too many hobbies and interests. I am so glad I found a forum with other women on it! Hooray!

Offline TXChikk

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Lovely
    • Foxy Flair
« Reply #70 on: February 12, 2009, 07:36:37 PM »
Welcome ebonearth!!!

amberwolf

« Reply #71 on: February 25, 2009, 01:49:31 PM »
This is such a great section on the forum, a place just for women to talk with one another on such a very important subject matter. I just joined two days ago so I have a ton of reading to do before I feel half way caught up with things on here.
-But as an intro I live in Virginia and really truly love this area of the country, the weather is bearable and many of the people have grown up on farms and are understanding of an unannounced survival situation.
I've studied herbs and nutrition for 3/4 of my life and really love the Native American ways of doing things. Currently my family is of three, myself, hubby and son, we operate a family run country store 7 days a week. Our closest city of 10,000+ population is 60 miles away so that seems great to me if the "big if" does happen.
Again, glad to be here.   

Offline Sister Wolf

• The Tiffanator
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Forum Veteran
    • WilderWolf
« Reply #72 on: February 25, 2009, 03:37:06 PM »
Welcome amberwolf!  :)  Glad to see new faces here!

Offline EmmaPeel

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #73 on: February 25, 2009, 03:38:51 PM »
Hi all.  I am Michelle.  I'm 36.  I live in rural South Central Alabama.  I've been married nearly 19 years.  We have two girls.  Cricket is 12 and Bugaboo is 8.  I am a personal assistant in a eco-friendly company.  I love to knit, read, shoot (IDPA, USPSA), hunt and just generally be outside.  My abilities and interests vary greatly.  I ran my own online business years ago.  I love to bake.  Bugaboo and I are gluten-free and DH is on a heart-healthy diet after a heart attack a couple of years ago.

My desire to become prepared for the worst (inevitable) grew out of my love of firearms.  Blog reading and hanging out at the gun range, hunting, etc. and the conversations that came up from those activities prompted me to consider more where we are and where we're going, both collectively and individually.  It's not looking good right now.  I'm building my food stores, water accessibility, and library of books (since the internet may not be available.)  My next adventures will be in gardening (I know how but haven't in recent years) and immediate debt reduction.  My biggest concerns right now are our special diets and DH meds.  

Michelle
http://www.nurtured.com/anothergunchick

Offline Sister Wolf

• The Tiffanator
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Forum Veteran
    • WilderWolf
« Reply #74 on: February 25, 2009, 06:08:46 PM »
Welcome EmmaPeel!  Sounds like you're gonna fit RIGHT in! :)

Pokethis

« Reply #75 on: February 25, 2009, 08:17:24 PM »
Welcome all new women!!  Can't go through all the new names as have just browsed through you all.  Usually it's one a month or so but now it is growing exponentially!!  Welcome all!

Offline Rosesandtea

• Survivor
« Reply #76 on: February 26, 2009, 08:39:07 AM »
Hi
I'm 47 and from OK, but married to an Englishman.  We have 5 children, ages almost-18 down to 6 (3 boys and 2 girls).  We home educate.   I've always been interested in  country/small town-with-large-property living (but have never acheived it) and the idea of some degree of self-sufficiency.    Living here makes the dream of having property very difficult and hunting/self-defence almost impossible.  I have my hopes that I can get an air rifle in the next year or so and maybe if necessary catch very small game. 

I haven't canned for years but enjoyed it when I was learning to do it back in my single days.  I do a lot of other crafts though.  I did a little preparing for y2k but couldn't do much as dh wasn't really on board (but he put up with my bottles/jugs of water).

Now he has begun to listen to Jack's podcast and is thinking about things now so we'll see what happens in the next few months!  We are hoping to move but may decide to stay put in order to avoid getting deeper in debt.  I would love to move but I can see that perhaps not moving would be the wiser choice (we are very crowded though, 7 people in less than 1000 sq ft).

I feel it's important to get another way of heating our home.  I would like to get a wood burning stove which can provide both heat and a means of cooking.  Houses in a town not too far away from us  just spent 2 nights without gas because of an explosion.  If that happened to us we'd be without heat.  We could bake/roast in the electric oven, but couldn't boil water - unless we got the camping stove out, but that's not a great option for heating the home!

We have 7 chickens as pets and egg producers.  We have a couple of people from church who will buy eggs from us (had to quit during winter).  If I had more room I would have more chickens. 

We are also thinking of doing a bit of gardening this year.  I think a lot of it will have to be done in containers to keep the plants safer from the chooks!

« Last Edit: February 26, 2009, 08:43:44 AM by Rosesandtea »

Offline madashell

• Prepper
    • Sugar Creek Homestead
« Reply #77 on: February 26, 2009, 02:45:46 PM »
Hi, I am Kristen. I live in NW Florida. I home school my two boys and am learning to prep while still living in the suburbs. I like to share what I learn with others in my community and through my blog and ebooks.

Offline TXChikk

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Lovely
    • Foxy Flair
« Reply #78 on: February 26, 2009, 02:56:43 PM »
Hi Kristin and welcome.  :) Come in, find a comfy place, sit down, all are welcome here. Enjoy the forum!

Kara

« Reply #79 on: February 26, 2009, 08:01:01 PM »
<<<waving hello!>>>

Welcome to all the new ladies here!

Offline 19kilo

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #80 on: February 26, 2009, 11:42:55 PM »
Welcome to the forum.

Your blog looks interesting, I'll have to sit and read for a while.

Bowieschewtoy

« Reply #81 on: February 27, 2009, 09:45:17 PM »
Hi,

I'm Tami, I am 39. We live in NW Oregon.  Two teenagers 16 and a 19yr old out on his own.  I was laid off in December but we're doing ok.  It has been kind of nice to have some time to be with the family and do some of the things I haven't had time to get done.  My husband (known as Bailey on the site) found the survival podcast website and started making bob's and I thought "oh no, what crazy scheme has he got going now?"  I started listening every now and then to the podcasts and after the election (not trusting of Obama's motives) started doing internet research and came across all kinds of things I had no clue about, Bilderbergs, NWO, fema camps, fema coffins etc.......  I can now say that I have surpassed my husband on worrying about shtf scenarios.  We are planning on putting in a big garden, it will be our first at this place.  We have such a short growing season so this year will definately be a learning experience on what works and what doesnt     :P

Offline Sister Wolf

• The Tiffanator
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Forum Veteran
    • WilderWolf
« Reply #82 on: February 27, 2009, 11:14:20 PM »
Hi,

I'm Tami, I am 39. We live in NW Oregon.  Two teenagers 16 and a 19yr old out on his own.  I was laid off in December but we're doing ok.  It has been kind of nice to have some time to be with the family and do some of the things I haven't had time to get done.  My husband (known as Bailey on the site) found the survival podcast website and started making bob's and I thought "oh no, what crazy scheme has he got going now?"  I started listening every now and then to the podcasts and after the election (not trusting of Obama's motives) started doing internet research and came across all kinds of things I had no clue about, Bilderbergs, NWO, fema camps, fema coffins etc.......  I can now say that I have surpassed my husband on worrying about shtf scenarios.  We are planning on putting in a big garden, it will be our first at this place.  We have such a short growing season so this year will definately be a learning experience on what works and what doesnt     :P

*SQUEEE!!!!*   ;D :D :D :D Tami!!! You have the COOLEST shed! (Bailey was totally bragging about how awesome you are)! Welcome!!!  Now we've gotta pick up the pace, and try to keep up with you.  You're gonna like it here.

Bowieschewtoy

« Reply #83 on: February 28, 2009, 06:10:19 PM »
Thank you for your kind words, I haven't finished the shed yet, the weather here has not been cooperating it's either pouring rain or snowing.  I really need to get it done because I want to do a green house next and Don says one project at a time (not that I ever listen to what he say's ;D)
No, he's really a good guy.  I am looking forward to learning alot from you guys.  I love gardening but have never really been to serious.  This year I am going to try new veggies and learn to can.

Offline Sister Wolf

• The Tiffanator
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Forum Veteran
    • WilderWolf
« Reply #84 on: February 28, 2009, 07:31:29 PM »
Thank you for your kind words, I haven't finished the shed yet, the weather here has not been cooperating it's either pouring rain or snowing.  I really need to get it done because I want to do a green house next and Don says one project at a time (not that I ever listen to what he say's ;D)

Atta girl!  ;)

No, he's really a good guy.  I am looking forward to learning alot from you guys.  I love gardening but have never really been to serious.  This year I am going to try new veggies and learn to can.

That's awesome!  I'd be interested (when you decide) in knowing which veggies you try, and how they turn out! :)  We're gonna do some canning this year too, I think.

Offline ebonearth

• TSP Bunny Rabbit Wrangler
  • Dedicated Contributor
  • Plant a Revolution!
« Reply #85 on: March 01, 2009, 10:45:03 AM »
Welcome all new arrivals! I hope to get to know all of you better!

Offline Morning Sunshine

• Geese Smuggling Moonbat
  • Survival Veteran
  • There are no mistakes, just Learning Experiences
« Reply #86 on: March 20, 2009, 10:02:49 AM »
Well, I am in my early 30's (I think - I quit counting.... I could figure it out by subtracting the years, but why bother - it doesn't make a difference anyway.  I am sure I will notice when I turn 40.....)  I have 4 children, and we are slowly working on the preps in Utah.
I am a student of history, and I have seen the coming of the next depression for over 15 years (considering my age, that is about half my life) based on what I saw in the world.  It has been high priority since I got married that we gain a self-sufficient lifestyle.  My husband has been appreciative of my efforts but not really helping with it.  He gets excited with me when I find a good deal on food storage items, and he was thrilled when I gave him a CWP class for Christmas last year.  Neither of us have had much experience with firearms, but that is high on the list when his work picks up again.  Firearms, training and an alternative source of power for our well should the power go out.  Those are the 3 top priorities.  And actually, the water thing is higher priority than the firearms, but only just.
I have been part of a homesteading community for some time, and I have learned a lot of prepping info from the homesteaders, but my reason for "homesteading" was for the prep aspect more than the "God has called me to live a simple life" aspect that I found there.  Do not get me wrong, I am a religious person, but not of the same denomination as most of the ladies there, and sometimes it was hard to relate.

also, how does one find/upload an avatar here?  I need a picture  :)

Offline Sister Wolf

• The Tiffanator
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Forum Veteran
    • WilderWolf
« Reply #87 on: March 20, 2009, 12:49:13 PM »
Hey Sunshine!  Welcome!  I love Utah - some of the most beautiful land on Earth!  Lucky you!

To upload an avatar -

1: I'm pretty sure that you'll need to resize your pic to a reasonable size - if you need help with this, PM me, and I'll help you privately.

2: Up at the top of your Survival Podcast Forum window, there are some blue buttons.  One says "home" one says "help" one says "Search" one says "profile" and one says "logout".  See them?  Click on the one that says "profile".

3: On the left hand side of the window you just opened is a link called, "Forum Profile Information".  Click that.

4: In the center of the window, you will now have 3 options at the top of the page.  One says "personalized picture".  Ignore that one.  The second option is "I have my own pic: Specify your own avatar by URL. (ex: http://www.mypage.com/mypic.gif)"  Click that one if you have your pic stored on Flickr, or Photobucket, or some other photo hosting site.  The third option is "I will upload my own picture".  Click that one if the photo is on your computer.  Then click "browse" and find your pic, and then upload it.

5: When you're done uploading your pic, or pointing to it on another hosting site, scroll down to the bottom of the page and click "Change Profile," and voila! You're an expert! :)

Offline Sister Wolf

• The Tiffanator
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Forum Veteran
    • WilderWolf
« Reply #88 on: March 20, 2009, 12:53:33 PM »
To PM me:

in any thread (including this one), right below our avatars are a bunch of icons.  One is to view our profile.  One is for our website, if we have one.  One is for email. And One is for PMing us.  The PM icon looks like a little word bubble and has the letters "IM" in it.  Don't worry that it says, "offline".  I don't know what that's about, but it doesn't make any difference.  Click that button, type me a message, hit send, and I'll get it here on the forum.

Alternatively, you can hit the Email button, and send me a message that way.  As long as you're not trying to sell Viagra, or something, I'll get it and respond as promptly (and as helpfully) as I can! :)

RiderX

« Reply #89 on: March 31, 2009, 08:36:10 PM »
Hi Lady Survivalists!
My name is Lisa. I live in Central WA state, in what is known as Sportsmans Paradise. I am 46, married for 15 years - no kids.
I have been listening to Jack since about podcast #65 or so, and I am IN. This year my husband and I are building 2 large garden areas - 1 for vegetables and 1 for permaculture. We are installing a greenhouse, a root cellar, a smokehouse, and an outdoor kitchen. (These are all in an 19 month plan). Ongoing self-sufficiency is a huge goal for me. And we live in the perfect place for it.

I already am a hunter, and we have lots of deer, turkeys, and small game all over.
My biggest challenge in modern survival is putting away money or gold. Don't have much of that, but our property, vehicles, and home are paid for. We still have some business loans, but paying them down pretty fast.
For fun I like to ride and drive my horses, hunt, and ride my dirt bike with my husband.
I am going to read all your posts here - but wanted to say hi.