Author Topic: Adding a hand pump to a Well  (Read 2271 times)

Offline BSKELDING

• Prepper
Adding a hand pump to a Well
« on: September 20, 2012, 02:26:25 PM »
I currently have a submersible pump in my well.  I believe it is a deep well as opposed to a point ( but I have not been able to confirm that) with a metal casing rising around 12 - 18" above the ground.  We lost power due to a lightning strike at one point and were unable to draw water.  Is it possible to add a hand pump to the top of the casing so as to provide a secondary source of drawing water?  If all is well, the electric submersible pump will operate like normal. In the event of a power outage or other event, we can use the hand pump to obtain water as needed.

If the hand pump idea doesn't work, is there another way to get water redundancy from the well?  Thanks in advance.

Offline Terroir Seeds

• Survivor
  • Heirloom Seed Company Owner
    • Terroir Seeds | Underwood Gardens
Re: Adding a hand pump to a Well
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2012, 11:32:46 PM »
For occasional use, look at Lehman's well bucket, which is 1.9 gallons. There are permanently mounted hand pumps, but a lot depends on the depth of your water table.  Lehman's hand pumps have a variety of hand pumps and well cylinders to pull water from some pretty deep wells.

Offline Roamer

• Survivor
    • Homesteading in Zone 9
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2012, 03:54:35 AM »
 Here is an article over at Lehman's that explains what you are asking. Water from a well even without electricity

I am interested in this subject also. But I have a shallow well with a Jet Pump.

Offline TexasGirl

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Simple country farm girl. Prepper? What's that?
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2012, 09:30:16 PM »
It's hard to say without more infomation.  What is the casing size and depth?  Most hand "pitcher" pumps will only lift about 20'.   A typical well bucket will be nearly 4" in diameter, if used in a typical 4-6" deep well casing, there would not be room if there is a pipe and cable servicing a submergible pump.

You might want to look at www.flojak.com

~TG

Offline randyt

• Fledgling Prepper
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2012, 04:38:31 PM »
A drop pipe with a cylinder on the end can be dropped down the well. Then a sucker rod attaches to the well cylinder and to the pump. It pumps from the bottom up. The well cylinder is set just above the submersible. There is a well cap available that allows the drop pipe to slip between the pitless adapter and well casing. For freeze protection a small hole is drilled into the drop pipe 5 foot down or so. The water will drain out of this hole and prevent freezing.  A well cylinder setup will work to 250 feet or so.

Offline TexasGirl

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Simple country farm girl. Prepper? What's that?
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2012, 12:16:35 AM »
A drop pipe with a cylinder on the end can be dropped down the well. Then a sucker rod attaches to the well cylinder and to the pump. It pumps from the bottom up. The well cylinder is set just above the submersible. There is a well cap available that allows the drop pipe to slip between the pitless adapter and well casing. For freeze protection a small hole is drilled into the drop pipe 5 foot down or so. The water will drain out of this hole and prevent freezing.  A well cylinder setup will work to 250 feet or so.

That basically sums up the product at the link I posted.  What's good about the flojak design, it pumps on the down stroke instead of the up stroke, so a person can use their weight to assist with the pumping.

~TG

Offline fritz_monroe

• The Defenestrator
  • Administrator
  • Survival Veteran
    • The Homestead Fritz
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2012, 05:44:33 AM »
Here is an article over at Lehman's that explains what you are asking. Water from a well even without electricity

I am interested in this subject also. But I have a shallow well with a Jet Pump.
I'll watch this thread.  This is my same set up.  I often see mention of hand pumps on standard wells, but never when the well uses a jet pump.