Author Topic: The Lone(ly) Wolf :)  (Read 2986 times)

Offline natalie

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
The Lone(ly) Wolf :)
« on: September 21, 2012, 08:21:20 PM »
Hi, I'm Natalie.  This is not exactly a gender-specific issue, but I didn't see an appropriate thread topic to bring it up.  Anyway, does anyone have thoughts how to combat feeling kind of alone in this whole ordeal? By that I mean, I have almost no one (besides my Dad really) to talk to about prepping or politics or anything related to what's going on in the world and what one might do to help be part of the solution.  Everyone seems to be sleeping.  Trying to wake them up is futile.  Sometimes my gf and my own family get really annoyed with my interests, so I just try not to talk about them.  And yet, I feel passionately obligated to share some of my insights.  How can people be so dreadfully bored but the topic of the value or currency, or war, or self-sufficiency.  I don't mean to be critical of them for having different views and priorities than I, but I'm tired of having no one to talk to who shares some of beliefs about our government and my libertarian ideals of non-force and how the free market can support human flourishing rather than crush it.  Anyway, see?  Getting on a tangent.  It would just be nice to know if others have experienced this.  Best to all!
Natalie
"The sun shines and warms and lights us and we have no curiosity to know why this is so; but we ask the reason of all evil, of pain, and hunger, and mosquitoes and silly people." -Ralph Waldo Emerson

Offline PorcupineKate

• Survivalist Mentor
  • New TSP Forum member
Re: The Lone(ly) Wolf :)
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2012, 08:46:19 PM »
Hmm.  I am trying to think of places you will find more like minded people.

Gun clubs
Bit coin meet ups
libertarian themed conferences or local political groups
Free State Project
Home school advocacy groups

Offline Mr. Bill

• Like a hot cocoa mojito
  • Administrator
  • Survival Veteran
  • Trained Attack Sheepdog/Troll hunter
    • Website maintenance services by Mr. Bill
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2012, 10:34:45 PM »
Hmm.  I am trying to think of places you will find more like minded people.

Most members of TSP Forum? 8)

Offline The Professor

• Tactical Skittle Assassin
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • All we have to do is create another universe
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2012, 10:53:01 PM »
One other suggestion might be to check out Meetup.com.

There are a surprising number of survival/preparedness groups out there.  Just treat it the way you should treat any other such social gathering.  Be careful who you give your number out to until you know them well.

The Professor
On "The List" since 1994.  Isn't it about time YOU got on The List?

Yeah, that's right. . ."Professor EMERITUS!"  Now, pardon me while I show up "late" for. . .uh. . .work.

Offline natalie

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2012, 02:28:16 PM »
Thanks for the suggestions.  They are good ones.  I'm in a sustainable beekeeping club but there seem to be more democrats than anything else.  I also did meet an awesome guy at my CCW class and we talked a bit about long-term food storage.  Anyway, the TSP community is great.  Maybe I'll see if there's a prepper group here in St. Louis.
Thanks again and hope you all are having a good weekend.
Natalie
"The sun shines and warms and lights us and we have no curiosity to know why this is so; but we ask the reason of all evil, of pain, and hunger, and mosquitoes and silly people." -Ralph Waldo Emerson

Offline mike77

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2012, 01:47:49 AM »
Another St. Louisan here. I know what you mean. I'm very cautious about bringing it up with most of the people I know.
There is a St. Louis preppers group, mentioned here: http://thesurvivalpodcast.com/forum/index.php?topic=35442.0  I haven't been to any of their events since I just noticed it recently.
You might also want to look into Zombie Squad since it was started here in St. Louis.

Offline Mastoo

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2012, 07:37:56 AM »
I'm St. Louis also, so we must be around.  Ditto the gun range idea, even the basic handgun classes can be worthwhile.  Or for that matter, waiting in the long line at the Cabelas gun counter I find people talking to me about politics and the economy also.  I haven't been to any, but some areas are starting community gardens and related classes that might be good.

Offline natalie

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2012, 11:15:06 PM »
Cool that you are both from St. Louis.  So, what high school did you guys go to?  KIDDING! :)  Thanks for the replies.  I am also reluctant to talk much to anyone outside of my immediate circle about prepping.  Which is pretty stupid that things like storing food are such a scary topics for people.  You'd think self-sufficiency would be appealing to more people.  I've tried to explain to my family that it's not about being prepared for the end of the world, but for things that we watch happen to others daily in the news.  Oh well.  I may check out the local group here.  Thanks again and nice to meet you.
Natalie

Offline mike77

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2012, 12:11:03 AM »
I was talking with some very good friends the other day that live right next to railroad tracks and brought up the subject of a BOB. Her response? I have too many clothes, I can't pack ahead of time to know what I would want to wear. So I hear you. I've found a few people that at least seem receptive to my thoughts, even if they don't agree. Like you, I'd like to develop some local contacts but I just haven't made the time to do so. so for now the forum is my 'local' community.

Offline Mastoo

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2012, 01:46:54 PM »
Cool that you are both from St. Louis.  So, what high school did you guys go to?  KIDDING! :)
Natalie

I fail the “Are you from Missouri” question first, so nobody asks me the high school question.

But I thought I’d suggest that it can help talking preps if you focus on the left side of the threat matrix.  These are the short term, localized, far more frequent kind of things as opposed to the right side of the threat matrix.  And all the left side preps will help right side preps.  For example:

Sheeple: My power was out yesterday and we couldn't open our fridge.
Me: You couldn't just run your generator every once in a while?  Oh wait, you don't have one.  Even if your power is only out for a day it would be nice to not worry about food going bad.

Sheeple: That ice storm knocked out our power so we didn't have heat for 3 days.  No problem though as we went to stay with relatives.
Me: Good thing that worked out.  That nice fireplace upgrade we did a few years ago?  Not only does it save on our heating bills but it can keep us warm without the furnace.

Sheeple: You buy gold?
Me: It's a hedge against inflation-based currency devaluation.  If the dollar drops in value this affects most of my dollar based investments.  If that happens, hopefully gold becomes more valuable and partially offsets the loss of value in USD.
Sheeple: And you buy physical gold but you know you can’t eat gold?
Me: It's easy to do and I just throw it in a safety deposit box so the only recurring fee is the cost of the box.

Some people still roll their eyes at these kind of things, but a few might not.

Offline The Professor

• Tactical Skittle Assassin
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • All we have to do is create another universe
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2012, 01:52:35 PM »
Y'know. . .I spend quite a bit of time at gunshows.  It's not difficult coming across preppers, etc. there, from all levels of experience/knowledge.

Plus. . .they got guns!

The Professor
On "The List" since 1994.  Isn't it about time YOU got on The List?

Yeah, that's right. . ."Professor EMERITUS!"  Now, pardon me while I show up "late" for. . .uh. . .work.

Offline Herbalpagan

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2012, 04:55:37 PM »
Well, most of my ideas got mentionned! However, there is a "chat room" on most forums where you can talk with like minded people! While not folks you might meet up with, they are still like minded. The gun club and Zombie Squad were my favorites, and Zombie Squad has local meet ups and do a lot of community work. (not trying to deflect from this forum)
My husband and I ended up starting our own preparedness group because we were tired of talking to sheeple (and they probably were tired of talking to us! lol)...best idea ever! Turns out that if YOU think you have no one to talk to, THEY are thinking the same! lol  I think that the younger you are, the harder it is because many young folks are into their social life more than anything.
Good luck!
I'm always working to get ready.
shtfradio.com Thurs. 8 eastern
http://greensurviving.blogspot.com/

Offline natalie

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2012, 07:00:01 PM »
What great replies.  Thank you guys so much.  There is definitely something to be said by living by example and being prepared so others can see that it can be a good idea.  I always want to ask people who think the government can help everyone in a time of crisis if they've ever been to the DMV.  Nothing against the people who work there but what a cluster.  I also haven't made time to get very involved.  This forum is kind of first step in getting more engaged with community.  And it's been so nice so far! :) Well, happy Monday all.
Natalie

Offline ncjeeper

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Oooops!
« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2012, 09:56:31 PM »
Most members of TSP Forum? 8)
Yep. Now that your here organize a meet and greet in your area with forum members that live close by. I have been to 3 and have had a chance to put a face with a forum name. :)
The early bird gets the worm.....But the second mouse gets the cheese.

Offline Bonnieblue2A

• Dedicated Contributor
  • TSP Forum/MSB member
« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2012, 10:44:34 AM »
Going to throw out another venue but it goes along with the gun club suggestion. Missouri CCW (a.k.a Missouri Carry) forum and the Missouri Sport Shooting Association. They have yearly get togethers and a significant participation rate from the St. Louis and surrounding area. The Missouri Appleseed Project is well organized and another way to reach like minded people.

I think you'd be surprised how many like minded people, or people considering becoming more self-sufficient, are taking classes through their county extension centers (via The University of Missouri). It is a consideration worth exploring as many of the classes are either free or very inexpensive.

"Hold on, my friends, to the Constitution and to the Republic for which it stands. Miracles do not cluster and what has happened once in 6,000 years, may not happen again. Hold on to the Constitution, for if the American Constitution should fail, there will be anarchy throughout the world.” –U.S. Senator Daniel Webster (1782-1852)

When the poo hits the fan my dog will have just shredded the last roll of toilet paper.

Offline livinitup0

• Survivalist Mentor
  • confrontational by design
« Reply #15 on: November 13, 2012, 11:33:37 AM »
The one thing Ive come to realize is that im not going to be successful actively trying to convert anyone in becoming a prepper. Jack told a story in an episode a while ago about the 2 countries of sheep farmers and why one country had better sheep. Its because they lead from the front instead of behind. If you can show people real benefits to your life both now and in hard times by prepping and not showve it down their throat....they'll come around....and if they dont, who cares? Part of being a libertarian is letting people have the right to be ignorant :)

Being a prepper exposes you to so many things you can talk to people about. There are some friends I can talk gardening with but not guns. There are some I can talk about guns with but not politics... and thats perfectly fine with me. I think if you expand your search for people into these wide niches and not worry about if they're preppers or not you'll find its a lot easier.

Offline snickers

• Survivor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #16 on: December 01, 2012, 11:50:09 PM »
I feel the same way sometimes. Some of my friends think that I prep because I've watched too many zombie movies. I can assure you that I haven't included zombie slaying tools like a cricket bat or katana in my preps. If I do talk about prepping I try to call it "self-sufficiency" or "homesteading." I think that DIY projects have gotten more popular since the economy has been down, and self-sufficiency topics like gardening or canning kind of fall under that non-scary DIY umbrella in people's heads.

Welcome to the forum! I hope that you find some prepping friends at home and online.

Offline hilljen

• Prepper
« Reply #17 on: December 10, 2012, 12:23:22 PM »
I understand the need to be able to communicate with like minded people, but IMO, that is what the internet is for!

In terms of OPSEC, or operational security, the fewer people who know you prep, the better. Because you need to assume that anyone you have let know you prep you may well find on your doorstep, begging for a handout. Do you have the heart to tell the nice ones no? Do you have the heart (and equipment) to deter the not-nice ones firmly and effectively? Why put yourself in a position to have to deal with either scenario? Keep your prepping status to yourself.

Also, I fear that while the S might not have fully HTF, we may be getting close to the time when people will intentionally cultivate prepper acquaintances in order to find out what they have and steal it. Now, even before total chaos is upon us.

I totally agree with previous posts that say to seek topic groups of friends (gardening, CCW, hunting, canning, etc.) and focus on the topic at hand with them. Just because they know you can grow a mean tomato doesn't mean they need to know that you also have enough food stocked for months, and that you have a nice collection of handguns and enough ammo to practice often. Rely on the internet for your prepping friends (my dh calls them my "imaginary friends":) ). And be careful with the info you post, so that you cannot be tracked down.
Seeking the best and most practical, whether primitive or modern

Offline natalie

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #18 on: December 14, 2012, 11:37:42 PM »
I'm not sure how to reply on here to one person, but oh well. I am so thankful for all the encouraging replies.  I hesitated a bit to even whine on here about feeling alone in all this.  I know I'm not alone theoretically.  I know there are other people who care about these issues.  I'm open to finding them. However, I also just constantly wonder how the people in my life can seem to be so many millions of miles from my thinking...about politics, about preparedness, about liberty, about life.  Anyway, you are all wonderful and you are each a reason to feel hopeful.
natalie :)

Offline prepgal

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #19 on: December 15, 2012, 10:06:23 PM »
I find myself feeling very alone today.
prepgal

Offline TexasGirl

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Simple country farm girl. Prepper? What's that?
« Reply #20 on: December 15, 2012, 11:15:06 PM »
I understand the need to be able to communicate with like minded people, but IMO, that is what the internet is for!

In terms of OPSEC, or operational security, the fewer people who know you prep, the better. Because you need to assume that anyone you have let know you prep you may well find on your doorstep, begging for a handout. Do you have the heart to tell the nice ones no? Do you have the heart (and equipment) to deter the not-nice ones firmly and effectively? Why put yourself in a position to have to deal with either scenario? Keep your prepping status to yourself.

Also, I fear that while the S might not have fully HTF, we may be getting close to the time when people will intentionally cultivate prepper acquaintances in order to find out what they have and steal it. Now, even before total chaos is upon us.

I totally agree with previous posts that say to seek topic groups of friends (gardening, CCW, hunting, canning, etc.) and focus on the topic at hand with them. Just because they know you can grow a mean tomato doesn't mean they need to know that you also have enough food stocked for months, and that you have a nice collection of handguns and enough ammo to practice often. Rely on the internet for your prepping friends (my dh calls them my "imaginary friends":) ). And be careful with the info you post, so that you cannot be tracked down.

+1

Offline Hilltopper

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #21 on: January 10, 2013, 04:20:03 PM »
I have to admit, as much a I would like some immediate community I could confide in , work with and share information , I simply don't think it is prudent  as a prepper  to do so with the majority of the population including friends and most family  .    In everyday life I am sure most people are trustworthy, in a real crisis or decline ,   I am not so sure .  I don't want to rely on their discretion for  my  privacy when it concerns my welfare either, or in my case, my kids.