Author Topic: 299 Days: The Community (Book Three) - book discussion [SPOILER ALERT]  (Read 9086 times)

Offline backwoods_engineer

• Survivalist Mentor
  • A geeky American country boy with an AR-15 slung o
    • Backwoods Engineer's Blog
Re: 299 Days: [Title TBD] (Book Three) - book discussion [SPOILER ALERT]
« Reply #30 on: October 02, 2012, 06:22:03 PM »
Oh, I read Castigo Cay as well and enjoyed it.  While I enjoyed the story, it was similar enough to the "Enemies" that my brain tried to connect the plots in some way.

Anyhow, sorry for hijacking the thread, but that's going to happen when we're force to wait several weeks for book 3  :knitting:

Just so we swerve back on topic, I think that both the Lisa character and the auditor's assistant (Jeanette?  can't remember the name) are both believable female characters.  Sometimes it's difficult for male fiction authors to do credible female characters; they come out as harpies, sluts, or furniture.  Not so here; both G and Bracken write women well, I think.

Offline Smurf Hunter

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #31 on: October 03, 2012, 09:38:18 AM »
Just so we swerve back on topic, I think that both the Lisa character and the auditor's assistant (Jeanette?  can't remember the name) are both believable female characters.  Sometimes it's difficult for male fiction authors to do credible female characters; they come out as harpies, sluts, or furniture.  Not so here; both G and Bracken write women well, I think.

The fact that the female characters elicited an emotional reaction from me is evidence of that.
Deep down I was frustrated with Lisa's normalcy bias because I know that's real to a degree.  If it was implausible I wouldn't have cared as much.

Also, if this was made into a movie, Jeanie should be played by some smoking hot actress.   (Thanks for tolerating my occasional shenanigans on these threads).  ;D

Offline Heavy G

• Distorting the Space-Time Continuum
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
  • A misfit ant in a grasshopper world.
    • 299 Days
« Reply #32 on: October 03, 2012, 11:42:33 PM »

Also, if this was made into a movie, Jeanie should be played by some smoking hot actress.   

She's hot in real life.

You might be interested in the ten-book prepper novel series called 299 Days.  I, like, wrote it and stuff.  Prepper Press is publishing it.  Seriously.  Check out www.299Days.com.

"If you pissed away your time and energy watching football and herding the family to endless soccer games, well, sorry grasshopper." -- post by jasonthomas on TSP

Offline Smurf Hunter

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #33 on: October 04, 2012, 12:01:27 PM »
She's hot in real life.

Either I'm psychic, or you're a decent writer to have made that impression. 

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #34 on: October 04, 2012, 12:39:29 PM »
She's hot in real life.

Yeah, like Smurf, I got that impression, too. 

Great writing, G.

Speaking of female characters, I also found Lisa's mom and Mrs. Ngyuen very believable.  Heck, I KNOW ladies like Mrs. Ngyuen.

Offline bob3

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #35 on: October 04, 2012, 06:36:47 PM »
Either I'm psychic, or you're a decent writer to have made that impression.

Why do you think the manipulative aspiring despot kept her around?!?  (In the story, G, not aware of the person IRL).

Offline pokeshell

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Against the assault of laughter nothing can stand.
« Reply #36 on: October 07, 2012, 06:59:25 PM »
I loved the first 2 books, but I had at least 3 times where it was so (badly) edited, that it popped me out of the book, and back into life. In the second book, one characters is seen a "cute" by one of the women. It is written almost the same way in the very next paragraph.  I stopped reading, and started to try to figure out if Grant was trying to emphasise how cute he was, or if the duplicates were a mistake in editing.

But, good job on the first 2 anyway, and look forward to the rest coming out. I like the fact that I know where some of the research came from(I can remember the thread).

PokeShell

PokeShell

”I have a very strict gun control policy: if there’s a gun around, I want to be in control of it.”
~Clint Eastwood

Offline Heavy G

• Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
    • 299 Days
« Reply #37 on: October 07, 2012, 09:46:20 PM »

I loved the first 2 books, but I had at least 3 times where it was so (badly) edited, that it popped me out of the book, and back into life. In the second book, one characters is seen a "cute" by one of the women. It is written almost the same way in the very next paragraph.  I stopped reading, and started to try to figure out if Grant was trying to emphasise how cute he was, or if the duplicates were a mistake in editing.

But, good job on the first 2 anyway, and look forward to the rest coming out. I like the fact that I know where some of the research came from(I can remember the thread).

PokeShell

Yep, PokeShell, some typos in Book Two were a problem, but the publisher fixed them.  Consider the copy you have as a "collector's edition" 'cause there aren't too many of them out there.

You might be interested in the ten-book prepper novel series called 299 Days.  I, like, wrote it and stuff.  Prepper Press is publishing it.  Seriously.  Check out www.299Days.com.

"If you pissed away your time and energy watching football and herding the family to endless soccer games, well, sorry grasshopper." -- post by jasonthomas on TSP

Offline Project X

• Senior Survivalist
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #38 on: October 13, 2012, 11:13:32 PM »
I hate this thread solely because I saw the title and raced to amazon to order it.....

Then I find out its not out....   

Offline TexDaddy

• TSP Goat Wrangling Geezer. He is EVIL also.
  • Global Moderator
  • Ultimate Survival Veteran
  • I live in Texas. What country are you from?
« Reply #39 on: October 14, 2012, 10:58:59 PM »
...Speaking of female characters, I also found Lisa's mom and Mrs. Ngyuen very believable.  Heck, I KNOW ladies like Mrs. Ngyuen.
I really like Mrs. Ngyuen. I hope she makes it through.
"I went down Virginia, seekin' shelter from the storm.
Caught up in the fable, I watched the tower grow.
Five year plans and new deals, wrapped in golden chains.
And I wonder, still I wonder who'll stop the rain."

...A quote from the book 'Mataroda' comes to mind:
'To do more than your best is impossible, to do less is unthinkable'
WWCD = What would Cedar do?

Offline Smurf Hunter

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #40 on: October 24, 2012, 12:23:18 AM »
Heavy g,

Do we have a title for book 3 yet?  I'd expect since we're merely weeks away you could divulge that much.

I'll update the thread topic if you decide to share.  :)

Offline rikkrack

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Permaculture Entrepreneur
    • Wolf-Beach Farms
« Reply #41 on: October 24, 2012, 06:55:31 AM »
Any chance of early release for dedicated readers and fans like TSP audience....? 

Hint Hint..... ;D
www.wolfbeachfarms.com

Co-Founder and Educator at www.midwestsustainable.org

Aquaponics/Permaculture Entrepreneur

"You have a moral obligation to screw the government every chance you can." G-pa Wolf

Offline Heavy G

• Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
    • 299 Days
« Reply #42 on: October 25, 2012, 10:07:43 PM »

Heavy g,

Do we have a title for book 3 yet?  I'd expect since we're merely weeks away you could divulge that much.

I'll update the thread topic if you decide to share.  :)

I'm checking with the publisher on whether I can disclose the title early.  Probably not, but I'll see.

Offline Heavy G

• Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
    • 299 Days
« Reply #43 on: October 25, 2012, 10:09:22 PM »

Any chance of early release for dedicated readers and fans like TSP audience....? 

Hint Hint..... ;D

I wish.  There's so much logistics to publishing a book. 

If you entered in your email address on the home page of www.299Days.com, you should get the first notification of when Book Three and Book Four are up on Amazon.

Offline Smurf Hunter

• Dedicated Contributor
Re: 299 Days: The Community (Book Three) - book discussion [SPOILER ALERT]
« Reply #44 on: October 30, 2012, 10:52:36 AM »

Offline rikkrack

• Dedicated Contributor
    • Wolf-Beach Farms
« Reply #45 on: October 30, 2012, 11:06:38 AM »
Is that the real book three or you just messin with us....

So do we have a countdown clock until we can get it yet?
www.wolfbeachfarms.com

"You have a moral obligation to screw the government every chance you can." G-pa Wolf

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #46 on: October 30, 2012, 11:57:39 AM »
Mods, can we get the thread title changed to 299 Days: BOOK 3: The Community - book discussion etc?

SO MUCH looking forward to this book.  I am going to try to read slower this time and savor, instead of experiencing a 2-month hunger strike for the next book!

Offline 16onRockandRoll

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Prepper Wannabe
« Reply #47 on: October 30, 2012, 02:39:48 PM »
Are the books all similar in length to 1-2?
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."
—Jeff Cooper, The Art of the Rifle

Offline Heavy G

• Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
    • 299 Days
« Reply #48 on: October 30, 2012, 09:48:43 PM »

Not sure how smurf hunter got the cover for Book Three, but I can verify that this is the correct cover.  This is not a spoof.

"The Community" is about the people at Pierce Point forming up a community. 

Book Four is called...  Guess you'll have to wait on that one.

Offline Smurf Hunter

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #49 on: October 31, 2012, 09:57:27 AM »
Not sure how smurf hunter got the cover for Book Three, but I can verify that this is the correct cover.  This is not a spoof.

"The Community" is about the people at Pierce Point forming up a community. 

Book Four is called...  Guess you'll have to wait on that one.

Either I'm a mole from the NSA, or I follow the facebook page.  Let the conspiracy theories begin :)

Melodee

« Reply #50 on: November 04, 2012, 05:34:54 PM »
I hate this thread solely because I saw the title and raced to amazon to order it.....

Then I find out its not out....   

Ditto ~~  or rather...  "Roger that"  :-)

Offline Serenity Gulch

• Survivor
    • Serenity Gulch Farm
« Reply #51 on: November 05, 2012, 10:20:43 AM »
I'm planning on rereading books 1 and 2 this week in hopes that 3 and 4 will be out before Thanksgiving.
Burn the land and boil the sea, you can't take my broccoli!
www.serenitygulchfarm.com

Better a house, | though a hut it be,
A man is master at home;
A pair of goats | and a patched-up roof
Are better far than begging."
Hávamál - Translation by H.A. Bellows

Offline MTUCache

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #52 on: November 13, 2012, 04:35:34 PM »
Not sure whether I got an advanced copy or not... but I'm having a hard time believing that nobody has commented on Book 3 yet. I tried to hold back after downloading it last night, but I'll probably finish it on the train home this evening.

HeavyG, I have one request.... I MUST have a map of the Pierce Point area. Something to help me put this geography together in my head, put relative distances between areas of the community, and just wrap my head around how this went from a handful of houses to 200+ houses.

Still the same minor editing issues, but I'm really loving the story so far. A lot of anticipation about something horrible happening at some point, but happy to see that all characters are happy and healthy to this point.  ;D
"The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money." - Alexis de Tocqueville, Democracy in America (1835)

"I worry about the effects on the long-run stability and efficiency of our financial system if the Fed attempts to substitute its judgments for those of the market. Such a regime would only increase the unhealthy tendency of investors to pay more attention to rumors about policymakers' attitudes than to the economic fundamentals that by rights should determine the allocation of capital." - Ben Bernanke, "Asset-Price 'Bubbles' and Monetary Policy" (October 15, 2002) i.e., Debacle + Irony = FED

Offline Chemsoldier

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #53 on: November 13, 2012, 05:47:02 PM »
OK what up with Amazon?  It claims it was published on the 10th.  Another entry on Amazon claims the 11th.  I looked for it earlier today and didnt see anything at all when most books have a pre-release entry.
"You can always count on Americans to do the right thing, after they've tried everything else"
-Winston Churchill

"You think health care is expensive now? Wait until its free!"
-P.J. O'Rourke

Offline Chemsoldier

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #54 on: November 13, 2012, 05:52:29 PM »
Book downloaded on kindle: Check
Frosty Adult Beverage: Check
Coffee Pot set for the AM to help me get up after staying up too late: Check

See y'all  tomorrow.
"You can always count on Americans to do the right thing, after they've tried everything else"
-Winston Churchill

"You think health care is expensive now? Wait until its free!"
-P.J. O'Rourke

Offline rikkrack

• Dedicated Contributor
    • Wolf-Beach Farms
« Reply #55 on: November 13, 2012, 06:06:31 PM »
Book 3 & 4 now available!!!!!!!
www.wolfbeachfarms.com

Offline Heavy G

• Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
    • 299 Days
« Reply #56 on: November 13, 2012, 09:57:15 PM »

OK what up with Amazon?  It claims it was published on the 10th.  Another entry on Amazon claims the 11th.  I looked for it earlier today and didnt see anything at all when most books have a pre-release entry.

The publisher uploads the books (hard copy and Kindle) and they get into the Amazon system at different times. 

The publisher is out of town until Nov. 15 so we're waiting to do the launch until he gets back.  But was very persistent that we needed to get Book Three and Book Four up onto Amazon ASAP, so he did.

Offline Heavy G

• Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
    • 299 Days
« Reply #57 on: November 13, 2012, 09:58:00 PM »
Please, please, please do an Amazon review on Book Three.  They are enormously helpful.

Offline Serenity Gulch

• Survivor
    • Serenity Gulch Farm
« Reply #58 on: November 14, 2012, 07:32:54 AM »
Dang, I signed up for the email list so I could get notification from the publisher when books 3 and 4 came out and have heard nothing from them.  >:( I spent last night re-re-reading book 2 when I could have been reading book 3!
Burn the land and boil the sea, you can't take my broccoli!
www.serenitygulchfarm.com

Better a house, | though a hut it be,
A man is master at home;
A pair of goats | and a patched-up roof
Are better far than begging."
Hávamál - Translation by H.A. Bellows

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #59 on: November 14, 2012, 04:30:03 PM »