Author Topic: does any one know a good book for herbal meds  (Read 1268 times)

Offline phobos

• Prepper
does any one know a good book for herbal meds
« on: September 27, 2012, 08:03:29 PM »
I am looking for a book that I can look up aliments and see what herbs will treat them. Think herbal physicians desk refrains. Do any of you have any suggestions?

Offline hedgewitch

• Survivor
  • New TSP Forum member
Re: does any one know a good book for herbal meds
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2012, 09:22:27 AM »
Young Living Essential Oils have an amazing book that list the illness and recommended  oil and also list the oil and what all it is good for.....Remember that oils are made from herbs so this is the same thing just more concentrated,

Offline Mr. Bill

• Like a hot cocoa mojito
  • Administrator
  • Ultimate Survival Veteran
  • Trained Attack Sheepdog/Troll hunter
    • Website maintenance services by Mr. Bill
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2012, 10:31:35 AM »
There is, in fact, a book titled PDR for Herbal Medicines.  I have a copy, and I don't like it very much.  Seems to be a not-very-good encyclopedia of herbs, with a PDR label on the front.  Some of the listings have info that I'm pretty sure is actually wrong.

If you're interested in herbs native to the western US, I'm impressed by the books by Michael Moore.  (No, not that Michael Moore, the other guy.)  There's a lot of free info on his Southwest School of Botanical Medicine site, especially on this page: CLINICAL HERB MANUALS by MICHAEL MOORE

Offline phobos

• Prepper
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2012, 06:02:32 PM »
Thank you for the link. That is just wat i was looking for. I will print tos out. That Mikel Morr is good for humanity the other one is only good for a joke.

Offline Twibble

• Survivor
  • I forgot what I was thinking...
    • Trepanation for the Sane
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2012, 11:55:21 AM »
Prescription for Natural Cures - http://www.amazon.com/Prescription-Natural-Cures-Self-Care-Supplements/dp/0470891777/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1353174599&sr=8-1&keywords=prescription+for+natural+cures

The Natural Pharmacy - I don't have the book in front of me right now, so I'm not sure which one on Amazon it is, but I'll add it later.
Cousin: "Who was crazy enough to take her to the range?"
Guy I later married: "I figured I should know how well she can shoot before I tick her off.  I don't want to tick her off."

Offline nelson96

• Survival Veteran
“There are few things more pathetic than those who have lost their curiosity and sense of adventure, and who no longer care to learn.”
 ~ Gordon B. Hinckley

One hundred thousand generations of people lived and ate as hunter-gatherers, and only two generations have grown up on highly processed fast foods. . .  It's not too late

Offline kevo

• Survivor
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2012, 03:26:31 PM »
Where does one get the Young Living Essential Oil book?

Young Living Essential Oils have an amazing book that list the illness and recommended  oil and also list the oil and what all it is good for.....Remember that oils are made from herbs so this is the same thing just more concentrated,

Thox Spuddy

« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2012, 05:12:28 PM »
I've come across numerous publications for free download off the internet searching for "herbal medicine PDF", or whatever description you can come up with.

Offline hedgewitch

• Survivor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2012, 05:43:03 PM »
Young living essential oils book can be bought from any L oils distributor, just type in Young Living essential oil and lots of sites should pop up and then go to their book section this book is great because it tells you what each oil is good for and lots more info about each oil

Offline fred.greek

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2012, 09:23:53 PM »
SECOND to the Bisbee/Michael Moore site, I've gotten a lot of herbal & alternative medicine books from www.scribd.com.
Retired, but still working in the garden...

Offline Stachys

• Prepper
  • Winter is coming.
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2013, 08:18:15 PM »
I use this book all the time to reference herbal actions.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1591201934/ref=wms_ohs_product?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Offline David in MN

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Just a dude
    • Walt's Workshop
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2013, 07:38:20 AM »
There is a fascinating book called Sacred and Herbal Healing Beers if you are interested in homebrewing. It goes through ancient and remote cultures and examines their brewing practices. Turns out many vitamins can be made available through brewing. Ingredients not edible or not pleasant to eat can be fermented. It's best known for its chapter called "Psychotropic and highly innebriating beers" but the rest is a fascinating look at brewing from the Amazon to Central Africa to Scandanavia. The recipes are basic and frankly suck but the history and science is pretty cool. I'd recommend it for someone looking for homeopathic learning and a brewing background.
The Universe is infinite so not only is there another earth, there are infinite other earths and every possibility is happening simultaneously. How about we make this earth the best?

Offline Jerry D Young

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2013, 11:42:12 AM »
I've found these to be useful:

Magic And Medicine Of Plants Readers Digest
The Home Remedies Handbook John H Renner
Edible and Medicinal Plants of the West Gregory L Tilford
Backyard Medicine Bruton-Seal & Seal
Modern Essentials 4th ed. - Guide to the Use of Essential Oils by Aroma Tools
Ancient Healing Publications International

Just my opinion.

Offline Cedar

• Autarkist Queen
  • TSP Ultimate Ant
  • Dont wait for the storm to pass, dance in the rain
« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2013, 02:02:41 PM »
"Complete Herbal" (1653) by Nicholas Culpeper is one I like to refer to, then get modern day info on it. Culpeper spent the greater part of his life in the English outdoors cataloging hundreds of medicinal herbs. He criticized what he considered the unnatural methods of his contemporaries.

http://www.amazon.com/Complete-English-Physician-Nicholas-Culpeper/dp/1557090807

Not everything in there I deem safe, but there is some great things in there for a 360 year old book.

Cedar
"Do not breathe simply to exist."