Author Topic: Anyone recognize this Lee press?  (Read 1730 times)

Offline mike77

• Survivalist Mentor
Anyone recognize this Lee press?
« on: September 28, 2012, 07:34:30 PM »
This is available on the local Craig's List. The person doesn't know the model so I'm hoping someone here might recognize it:

More importantly, is $75 a fair price for all that is shown? Oh, those are 9mm and .38spl dies included.

Offline trekker111

• Survivalist Mentor
Re: Anyone recognize this Lee press?
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2012, 08:40:35 PM »
Looks like a lee turret press. If everything is in good shape then $75 isn't a bad price.

Offline The Professor

• Tactical Skittle Assassin
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • All we have to do is create another universe
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2012, 08:52:24 PM »
I agree with Trekker, make sure the heads aren't stripped and the levers aren't loose and $75 is a great deal.

The Professor

Offline mike77

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2012, 08:58:50 PM »
Thanks guys. I'll see if I can take a look at it tomorrow. If $75 is a good price for the press itself, then the dies and scale are a bonus. The seller thinks they're carbide dies. Any idea how to visually tell if if a die is carbide or not?

Offline phils70

• Prepper
  • Zone 8b. Where we wear shorts at Christmas.
    • Self Sufficient in the Suburbs
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2012, 09:32:52 PM »
Thats a good deal for the die sets alone.  Carbide dies have a tungsten carbide ring inserted in the body of the die. You should be able to see it.

Offline NWPilgrim

• Dedicated Contributor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2012, 10:14:45 PM »
That is the original Lee Turret press (3-hole), still being sold by Lee. Check midwayusa.com for comparison to new prices.  I would generally offer 2/3 of the new price for slightly used equipment.  IF the total for buying these new is more than $110 then it is a good deal.

I would imagine the new press is around $75.  I have the upgrade cast iron 4-hole Classic Turret Press.  The die sets, if carbide, are worth about $30 new.  Do you want dies for 9mm and .357?  The turrets are about $10 ea.  I'm pretty sure this older press can use the newer 4-hole turrets as well, probably need a new spindle for indexing or rotate by hand. The scale is about $25 if you plan to use it.

Offline SuperDuty

• Survivor
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2012, 12:17:29 PM »
I think it's a good deal, and I bought the Lee turret press I still use today in 1986 at a garage sale for $20!  Mine was missing the ball on the handle too.  I got one from Lee for a few $ and it's been rockin' since.  Used it last night actually to work up 100 round of .45 ACP for my new Glock 36.