Author Topic: Ethnomedicine & Ethnobotanicalpharmacology  (Read 2248 times)

Offline ebonearth

• TSP Bunny Rabbit Wrangler
  • Dedicated Contributor
  • Plant a Revolution!
Ethnomedicine & Ethnobotanicalpharmacology
« on: March 13, 2009, 11:52:30 PM »
After Sister Wolf's nudge on this thread I decided an ethnobotany thread was overdue in the Field Medicine section. I hope we can amass a stockpile of data on the topic, as this happens to be one of my greatest passions. I'll start with posting what I have in my herbal library then in my herbal medicine cabinet just as soon as I unpack it. :)

For those curious about what exactly Ethnobotanicalpharmacology is (from Wikipedia): Ethnopharmacology is the scientific study correlating ethnic groups, their health, and how it relates to their physical habits and methodology in creating and using medicines. As an amalgamation of the social science of ethnology and the medical science of pharmacology, ethnopharmacology studies the pharmacological aspects of a culture's medical treatment as well as its social appeal, including taste, symbology, and religious context. Through this, a culture's exposure to pharmacological substances can be determined.

Ethnopharmacology is related to botany in that many pharmaceuticals are delivered through plants. It is also often associated with ethnopharmacy, but while the aim of ethnopharmacology is the bio-evaluation of the effectiveness of traditional medicines, the former deals instead with much broader trans-disciplinary aspects related to the study of the perception, use, and management of pharmaceuticals (not necessarily traditional medicines) within a given human society. It is also related to pharmacoepidemiology. When investigating a natural product used by a certain culture as a medicine, it is important that the methods of collection, extraction, preparation are the same or similar to those used by the ethnic group, as it is these processes which have allowed safe usage of the substance and give it its safety record.

A great place to start, if you don't mind reading medical/science journals is the Journal of Ethnopharmacology.
Also the International Society for Ethnopharmacology is a great resource for staying up to date on new developments in the field but only if you can afford it ($200US per annum is a bit too much for a hobby at present).

I will post more preparedness and survival relevant data in short order, for now this is usually the bank of website where I do a lot of my research. Enjoy!

Offline Sister Wolf

• The Tiffanator
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Forum Veteran
  • Wanna have an adventure?
    • WilderWolf
Re: Ethnomedicine & Ethnobotanicalpharmacology
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2009, 12:01:38 AM »
This is a GREAT start, ebonearth.  This is interesting stuff.  So are you one of those people who are like "In a small tribe in the middle of Mongolia, in the 12th century, it was believed that wax from the ears of thunderbirds would cure a salmonella infection.  This has been further confirmed by..."?

I never knew that was ethnopharmacology.  That's SO cool! :D

Mizer

Re: Ethnomedicine & Ethnobotanicalpharmacology
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2009, 07:02:17 PM »
Not sure if they fall under ethnomedicine, but do you use any essential oils?