Author Topic: Fitness & Self Defense for Lady Post-Partum  (Read 698 times)

Offline infinette

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
Fitness & Self Defense for Lady Post-Partum
« on: October 04, 2012, 04:02:04 PM »
Hello.

I'm 30 weeks pregnant and looking forward to getting back in shape when the baby is born in December. I am looking for a fitness routine that is inexpensive and not a huge time commitment. I am interested in self-defense training, but I'm not sure that I can start learning a martial art with an instructor due to time and finances.

What is a good self-defense program for a woman? Can I learn it from a DVD? Beyond self-defense, would P90X or Insanity be a good option? Should I just start running? I have never been a big fitness person, so I don't know where to begin. I love yoga, but I'm not sure how practical it is regarding prep.

Thanks!

Offline Uncle BLAZR

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
Re: Fitness & Self Defense for Lady Post-Partum
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2012, 03:17:22 PM »
IMO, Krav Maga is the best self defense system for women (men, too, for that matter). I say Krav maga because it is designed to have you reach a high level of proficiency in a short amount of time.  I don't know where you are located geographically but if you google Krav Maga + you location, you should be able to see if there is a school nearby. Even if you cannot commit to a regular training schedule due to time/finances, most schools do seminars periodically and that would at least allow you some exposure and professional training that would allow to practice what you have learned. You can learn it from books/dvds but you would need at least some qualified instruction to get you on your way. For books/dvds, check out DAVID KAHN with the IKMA. He has several books and new DVD set. He is VERY legit and a the instruction is great.

As far as fitness goes, P90x and insanity are great*. *Like anything, if you use them.
Also, look at "crossfit for moms". That is another great resource for fitness programs and it specially taylored towards moms. :)

I hope this helps!

Offline livinitup0

• Survivalist Mentor
  • confrontational by design
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2012, 04:39:18 PM »
my GF does Power 90 and highly recommends it.

Offline cheryl1

• Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2012, 12:42:43 PM »
Walk, swim, do a lot of stretching, and walk some more. Based on my experiences on trying to get into shape after baby, don't do anything high impact or resistance for the first 3 months. When you are pregnant, your tendons and cartilage relax and it takes a while for them to tighten up again post partum. I injured my back after my third (doing yoga and crunches) and it took another 3 months for the soft tissue injury to heal completely.
I've seen the village and I don't want it raising my children.

Offline Norcal Mike

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2013, 02:45:45 PM »
As the last poster suggested, ramping up slowly is important to allow your body to (literally) get back into your desired shape. If you are staying home with baby, then you may find it most practical to do brief, intense, body weight crossfit-esque routines during naptime (then, when you do get some me-time you are actually free to do as you like).  Lots of inspiration on crossfit websites out there, here's an example:  3 rounds for time of: 20 push-ups, 30 sit-ups, 40 air squats.  You're done in ~10 minutes and the sweat is flowing freely.  That burst of exercise will stoke the fire for hours.

If you don't want to do your own programming, then buying a kettlebell and instructional DVD might be perfect for ya.  I've heard that DragonDoor is the place to go for that.  A simple kettlebell can produce amazing results.

Remember: what you eat can boost or destroy all the exercise work you do.  Nobody can outrun or outlift a poor diet. I suggest going strict paleo for a couple months.  My wife did this after our last child in 2010, mixed in a little training, and now she's hotter than when I met her 17 years ago.  ;D