Author Topic: Expired Quikclot  (Read 1317 times)

Offline Doomtrooper

• Prepper
Expired Quikclot
« on: October 05, 2012, 01:01:00 AM »
Ok so looking over my gear in my IFAK, I discovered that this month the quikclot (its the older powered type that was given to me as an extra) is expired. So question to all the medical types is this stuff still going to be good? Or should I chunk it and get another one?
"Since it is likely that [children] will meet cruel enemies, let them at least have heard of brave knights and heroic courage."- C. S. Lewis

"I want to be best remembered for my deeds and actions" -ME

"Will yourself to stand ready and courageous on the battlefield. In this way, all that is difficult or dangerous will be yours."
- The Way of the Samurai

Offline FrugalFannie

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Our new diesel!
    • ITS Personal Training
Re: Expired Quikclot
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2012, 08:09:26 AM »
If it is the older granular stuff I would replace it. I would however keep the old stuff and continue to research it in case it would help in a true emergency. If you get a concrete answer to toss it I would, otherwise I would keep it for a while but not as your primary bloodstopper. I have seen some sources that say they are good indefinitely but the older stuff, not so much?

Offline Preceptor

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2012, 07:20:14 PM »
Just my 2 cents,
I am an active duty Special Operations Independent Duty Corpsman; and I personally never carried the powder.  If you have the gauze that is laced with it, no big deal because even if it is "old / expired" you still have good gauze you can use to pack a wound pocket or lay over a wound.

I would challenge you to instead of buying more, invest in an extra tourniquet or two.  If properly applied you don't have that constant concern of "what if that powder didn't give me proper hemorrhage control".  Especially if this happens at night, you are much better off checking to make sure you don't have a distal pulse from where the tourniquet was applied vs. trying to find enough white light to see if the sand you just threw in a wound is working.

With tourniquets you have 6-8 hours before you are looking at irreversible tissue damage, I would hope in that time period you could either drive to a hospital or call life flight.  If the thought of tissue damage concerns you deeply private message me and I will write you up our standard operating procedures for reducing a tourniquet into a pressure dressing; thus allowing enough blood flow to save the tissue.

Arterial bleeds are not to be taken lightly, and I know personally I would rather deal with tissue damage and be alive vs. bleed out in 90 seconds from an arterial bleed.
Those who would sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither
— BENJAMIN FRANKLIN

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lvg7lRsCVJ8

Offline bcksknr

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Child of the Cold War
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2012, 07:26:22 PM »
Well, I think I've found a suitable answer at http://forums.equipped.org/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=243568. Celox and QuickClot are safe and effective; WoundStat isn't (discard any you come across).

Offline cohutt

• non semper erit aestas
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
  • Don't Give Up Your Keys
    • Behind cohutt's Fence
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2012, 07:48:15 PM »
The quikclot is a kaolin based dressing if I recall correctly.  With clay being inert, it seems the shelf life would be longer than I will be around.

Offline Doomtrooper

• Prepper
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2012, 11:49:49 PM »
Thanks guys!
"Since it is likely that [children] will meet cruel enemies, let them at least have heard of brave knights and heroic courage."- C. S. Lewis

"I want to be best remembered for my deeds and actions" -ME

"Will yourself to stand ready and courageous on the battlefield. In this way, all that is difficult or dangerous will be yours."
- The Way of the Samurai