Author Topic: The 10 Manliest Firearms  (Read 4170 times)

Offline Insidious

• Senior Survivalist
The 10 Manliest Firearms
« on: October 05, 2012, 07:47:21 PM »
From 'The Hall of Manly Excellence' I give you The 10 Manliest Firearms

I debated putting this up in 'humor' as there are some great 'observations'..

Such as..
Quote from: #8 GLOCK
..the only acceptable caliber for a man to carry is .45 ACP. 10mm is good but hard to find, .40S&W is a wussified 10mm that the FBI created when it found out its agents weren’t manly enough for 10mm..If Viking king Harald Hardraada were alive today, his symbol of power would be a GLOCK 21.

and..
Quote from: #7 Swiss K31 Carbine
..it’s entirely possible you will have your ass handed to you by a 13 year old girl shooting an StG90 assault rifle that she carried to the range from school, slung across her back while pedaling her bicycle..It fires a 7.5 mm Swiss round that is expensive, because it only comes from Switzerland and it’s only available in match grade. There is no non-match grade Swiss Ammo.

finally..
Quote from: #1 Barrett M82 .50 caliber rifle
This is a man so cool even his sperm spoke unfiltered Camels.

as the author says .. you are encouraged to make your own list..
« Last Edit: October 05, 2012, 07:53:12 PM by Insidious »
Warning! Pig may explode!

Offline The Professor

• Tactical Skittle Assassin
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • All we have to do is create another universe
Re: The 10 Manliest Firearms
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2012, 08:32:04 PM »
That's funny.  I know Michael.  He is an old-school prepper.   In fact, he used to post frequently on the Usenet Newsgroup misc.survivalism and attended get-togethers in Indianapolis that we held that coincided with the gunshows.

He likes sharp, pointy things.

The Professor
On "The List" since 1994.  Isn't it about time YOU got on The List?

Yeah, that's right. . ."Professor EMERITUS!"  Now, pardon me while I show up "late" for. . .uh. . .work.

Offline ncjeeper

• Most Noble Order of the Garter Snake
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • Oooops!
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2012, 09:16:56 PM »
I would think the gun you have in your hand at the time you need it would be the manliest.
The early bird gets the worm.....But the second mouse gets the cheese.

Offline bdhutier

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Defensor libertas
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2012, 09:55:02 PM »
I would think the gun you have in your hand at the time you need it would be the manliest.
I dare say no... The only gun you're holding may be the most effective, but not necessarily the manliest!   ;D
Tolerance is the virtue of the man with no convictions.
-- G. K. Chesterton

So go do some PT, then by all means take some ninja classes.
-- Chemsoldier

Offline JerseyVince

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2012, 11:59:38 PM »
def added to the list Thompson Sub machine gun!!! when someone pulls the Chicago Typewriter out they mean business

Browning BAR

Select fire M-14 Vietnam-era

Offline DrJohn

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Call on God, but row away from the rocks.
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2012, 10:39:48 AM »
Well, since real men aren't afraid to wear pink or eat quiche, I have to vote for the gun Will Smith used in MIB.
"In the end, more than freedom, they wanted security.
They wanted a comfortable life, and they lost it all - security,
comfort, and freedom. When the Athenians finally wanted not to give to society but for society to give to them, when the freedom they wished for most was freedom from responsibility, then Athens ceased to be free and was never free again."
- Edward Gibbon

Offline The Professor

• Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2012, 11:01:36 AM »
Well, since real men aren't afraid to wear pink or eat quiche, I have to vote for the gun Will Smith used in MIB.

The Noisy Cricket?

Yeah, THAT's the ultimate concealed carry weapon.

That, and a Sonic Screwdriver, would be my ultimate EDC.

The Professor
(gettin' his geek on in the AM)

Yeah, that's right. . ."Professor EMERITUS!"  Now, pardon me while I show up "late" for. . .uh. . .work.

Offline liftsboxes

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Quit Whining
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2012, 11:17:48 AM »
Damn, now I've got another blog I need to read regularly.

;)

Offline nelson96

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2012, 11:30:47 AM »
Accuracy International L115 A3 .338 Lapua . . .  Longest confirmed kill (by a British sniper) of 2,706.6 yards.

“There are few things more pathetic than those who have lost their curiosity and sense of adventure, and who no longer care to learn.”
 ~ Gordon B. Hinckley

One hundred thousand generations of people lived and ate as hunter-gatherers, and only two generations have grown up on highly processed fast foods. . .  It's not too late

Offline Insidious

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2012, 01:49:04 PM »
There is a 2nd article with 10 More Manly Guns, but still no love for the Thompson.  ???

Offline nelson96

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2012, 03:21:45 PM »
The HK91 is the semi automatic, civilian version of the highly regarded G-3. This rifle has what are probably the best battle sights of any rifle in the world. A post and ring sit up front while the rear sight is a rotating drum with a series of differently ranged apertures around it. The gun is also the hardiest of the lot. It's delayed roller block action has no gas tube to be bent or clogged as in the M-16; there is no long delicate operating rod as in the Garand/ M-14, and no gas port to clog as in the AK-47. The gun is not dependent on propellant gasses, so the burning rate and residue of the powder have no effect on it. The power of the load is also not a factor in the reliability of the gun; any load will feed and cycle the action. It's size and weight are almost perfectly suited to the cartridge it fires, and it has good accuracy. The delayed roller block action, keeps the gun locked until the base of the bolt is forced back enough to cam the rollers out of their recesses, and allow the bolt carrier to move back.

“There are few things more pathetic than those who have lost their curiosity and sense of adventure, and who no longer care to learn.”
 ~ Gordon B. Hinckley

One hundred thousand generations of people lived and ate as hunter-gatherers, and only two generations have grown up on highly processed fast foods. . .  It's not too late

Offline Insidious

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2012, 03:39:03 PM »
If the authors are going to get into machine guns, they need to give the M2 some love! Or heck, the Mk19 (good lord that thing is bad ass!).

I love the HK91 sights.

I also love my Galil in 7.62.. best folding stock I've ever used, accurate and reliable.

Offline nelson96

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2012, 06:04:59 PM »
The KAC M203 & Master Key.

~ Gordon B. Hinckley

Offline soupbone

• Once made a pun out of "Mephistopheles"
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • Crusty Old Curmudgeon
« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2012, 09:14:40 PM »
There is a 2nd article with 10 More Manly Guns, but still no love for the Thompson.  ???

No mention of the Smith & Wesson Military and Police Model 10 either. This is a tough, no nonsense FIGHTING handgun that has been doing it's job successfully for over 100 years. Which is defending lives - not hunting, not target shooting, not impressing the guys on the range. Now it is usually carried by a few old timers who don't give a hoot what some "expert" thinks, they just know what has gotten their butts out of several cracks over time and they TRUST it. You know, manly guys.

soupbone
Hey, MARTYRS! Those seventy-two dark eyed virgins waiting for you in Paradise - they're NUNS! With rulers.

Offline Insidious

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2012, 09:35:33 AM »
No mention of the Smith & Wesson Military and Police Model 10 either.

I carried a Model 19 for a couple of years. I never had any question that when I pulled the trigger I'd get a bang. Great guns. The author, being a scifi writer, is a little more enamored with guns used in historical dramatic battles, than with great modern guns. For that reason, I'm kind of surprised he doesn't list the Colt Peacemaker.

Offline PistolWhipped

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #15 on: October 09, 2012, 10:19:50 AM »
I was going to post a comment about attributing "masculinity" to inanimate objects but it would be a waste of breath.

Offline PorcupineKate

• Survivalist Mentor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #16 on: October 09, 2012, 10:31:47 AM »
Oh No!  I am not manly at all and I have several of these Manly guns.... 

I need to get more girly guns to balance this out.... 8)

Offline Insidious

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #17 on: October 09, 2012, 11:01:35 AM »
I was going to post a comment about attributing "masculinity" to inanimate objects but it would be a waste of breath.

I'm firmly in the 'a gun is a tool, not a fetish object' camp. I appreciate good tools, and don't care much for 'gimmicks' (Example: stupidly large caliber handguns, swiss army knife ARs..). With some of the listed guns, they were excellent tools.. for their time, and I can appreciate them for that.

Offline The Professor

• Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #18 on: October 09, 2012, 03:10:25 PM »
The HK91 is the semi automatic, civilian version of the highly regarded G-3. This rifle has what are probably the best battle sights of any rifle in the world. A post and ring sit up front while the rear sight is a rotating drum with a series of differently ranged apertures around it. The gun is also the hardiest of the lot. It's delayed roller block action has no gas tube to be bent or clogged as in the M-16; there is no long delicate operating rod as in the Garand/ M-14, and no gas port to clog as in the AK-47. The gun is not dependent on propellant gasses, so the burning rate and residue of the powder have no effect on it. The power of the load is also not a factor in the reliability of the gun; any load will feed and cycle the action. It's size and weight are almost perfectly suited to the cartridge it fires, and it has good accuracy. The delayed roller block action, keeps the gun locked until the base of the bolt is forced back enough to cam the rollers out of their recesses, and allow the bolt carrier to move back.

Ahh, gotta love the HK. . .

Ergonomics of a cinderblock, a bolt-lock that takes two men and a hammer to operate,  weighs a full pound heavier than similarly composite-stocked M1A (despite the stamped steel receiver vs the M1A's machined receiver),  and a fire control group that requires thumbs the size and strength of a gorilla to manipulate. . .which is great, if you're a 6'6", blonde Aryan named Dolph.

It's trigger feels like two bastard files rubbing against each other*, reliable magazines are almost impossible to get unless you've recently won the lottery and have a connection deep within the labyrinthine maze that is known as Heckler and Koch (and let's not even talk about getting OM replacement parts, hell, you're better off trekking up to the Khyber Pass and having the guys up there make you one from a piece of railroad tie or Toyota leaf spring with a file and a hammer. . .you'll get it faster and be absolutely sure of the origins).

Wanna reload that brass?  Not with this baby. . .that much-vaunted fluted chamber destroys the brass, and what isn't mauled by the chamber gets a thorough MMA-style ground-and-pound workover as it ejects.

Hell. . .now that I think about it. . .maybe it is everything Manly.

The Professor

* references the SR9 version I have in the safe.  The trigger is absolutely beautiful on the MSG and PSG (I only have the MSG, but got to use a PSG many years ago, as well as one of the Vollmer conversion rifles <sigh>).

Offline liftsboxes

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Quit Whining
« Reply #19 on: October 09, 2012, 04:18:10 PM »
Oh No!  I am not manly at all and I have several of these Manly guns.... 

I need to get more girly guns to balance this out.... 8)

It's true.  Maybe you could get Owen to "girly-up" an Ak47 for you?

Offline PorcupineKate

• Survivalist Mentor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #20 on: October 09, 2012, 09:40:09 PM »
I did talk to Owen about that last week.     I need to make all of my rifles fit my girly self.

Offline blueyedmule

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #21 on: November 24, 2012, 06:57:55 AM »
Great lists, I really enjoyed it. I'd like to see him do a version of the manly firearm list that has a more country/redneck feel. Think you'd see more lever guns on there.

Somebody HAS to do a redneck-kills-zombies movie using a Mossberg 464 SPX. It woulda looked great in Zombieland IMHO.
"God created Arrakis to train the faithful."

Offline TexDaddy

• TSP Goat Wrangling Geezer. He is EVIL also.
  • Global Moderator
  • Ultimate Survival Veteran
  • I live in Texas. What country are you from?
« Reply #22 on: November 26, 2012, 01:15:49 AM »
...I'd like to see him do a version of the manly firearm list that has a more country/redneck feel. Think you'd see more lever guns on there...
I agree. I have not seen a more manly gun than this one. http://henryrepeating.com/rifle-45-70.cfm
"I went down Virginia, seekin' shelter from the storm.
Caught up in the fable, I watched the tower grow.
Five year plans and new deals, wrapped in golden chains.
And I wonder, still I wonder who'll stop the rain."

...A quote from the book 'Mataroda' comes to mind:
'To do more than your best is impossible, to do less is unthinkable'
WWCD = What would Cedar do?