Author Topic: CCW gun size: how many started big, changed to small?  (Read 6993 times)

Offline CR Williams

• Survivalist Mentor
    • In Shadow In Light
Re: CCW gun size: how many started big, changed to small?
« Reply #30 on: October 11, 2012, 10:40:45 AM »
With a 'one gun option' as a first purchase, consider also that some subcompacts will accept magazines from larger models of the same caliber. My subcompact before moving to a compact was a G26. I could, if I chose, run a G19, G17, or G18 magazine in it, and did carry a spare magazine of at least G19 size. A Sig P250 subcompact can use magazines from the compact size as well. I don't know about others, but I feel fairly safe in assuming there are more like these you can get. In many cases you can also get a grip extension that slips over the larger magazine to give you a fuller grip that can be helpful.
My cats support the 2nd Amendment.

In Shadow In Light - dedicated to the study and advancement of the art and the science of the fight.

www.inshadowinlight.com

Offline liftsboxes

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Quit Whining
    • New Hempshire Foundation
« Reply #31 on: October 11, 2012, 11:32:02 AM »
Can't afford more than one right now.  I want to buy something that is durable, reliable, small and light enough that I will want to carry it and something I will be happy with and stick with for a long time.

For the revolver platform, a J-frame or LCR fits these criteria.  For autos a glock 26 seems to fit these criteria.  Being left handed I have found it near impossible to operate the slide release on most of the slim 9's.  I can do it no problem on a glock.  Some of the small .380's were easier for me to operate like the sigp238 and keltec's p3at.  However, I am not sure if the keltec fits all of my above criteria.

If you're going to have one handgun and price is an issue, get the Glock 26.  It's small enough to conceal, big enough to defend, ambidextrous, and the ammo is cheap enough to still train on.

Offline dk1138

• Prepper
« Reply #32 on: October 11, 2012, 12:29:05 PM »
I started smallish/medium (G27 and USP45c).  Where did I go?  A number of directions. 
The short answer is: "3 ways.  Smaller.  Bigger.  And Thinner."  (sorry about the grammar)

For "required concealment" (e.g. an issue if you are 'made') I carry either the J-frame (442) or an HK P7 (thin). 
For low-threat, convenience-type situations (walking a few miles around the neighborhood), I'll probably grab the 442. 
For more concerning situations, and remote locations, I'll generally find a way to conceal the HK45, or a higher-capacity 9/40/45 (no others relevant in my inventory right now).  Either IWB, SmartCarry, stealth backpack, holster shirt, etc.  This is not an easy gun for me to hide by size.  OWB or open it would be no problem. 

Especially if finances are limiting (and they're probably somewhat of an issue for all of us, because those resources could go to other preps! ;)), really consider carefully the concealment and comfort issues.  The "girlie gun" 442 you have in your front pocket is worth a lot more than the G22 that's sitting in your safe.  And no, I'm not putting down the 442; I love it, but a lot of others will.  Similar option is one of the number of thin 9mm autos (Walther, Keltec, etc). 

Yes, a big gun is more fun, easier to shoot, more capable (as far as a pistol goes).  It feels psychologically more "comforting".  YMMV on the value of that to you, and whether it translates to something practical. 

I would bet that, no matter what gun you mention, there is someone on the internet that carries it regularly concealed. 
You can dress to conceal anything, but how practical is that?  Esp. if you're in a situation where you can't wear baggy concealment clothes in most aspects of your life, why choose a gun that you're setting yourself up not to carry?  Of course, if you live in a place where no cares, or you can wear a fishing vest or parka everywhere (and not take it off inside), then go nuts and OWB whatever you want.  In fact, please enjoy it for me because I would be somewhat envious. ;0

This is all predicated on the discussion assumption of choosing a first gun specifically for carry. 

My 2 cents, worth less in the current inflationary environment. 
Cheers,
David
"The dogs bark, but the caravan moves on."

Offline Shaunypoo

• Dedicated Contributor
  • "He is a platypus, they don't do much." - Phineas
« Reply #33 on: October 11, 2012, 01:44:58 PM »
Just got the CCW a few weeks ago and am already signed up to do more training on a tactical level.  I carry a S&W 5906.  The main reason is it is the only pistol I have and I inherited it.  I am also carrying it because if I can conceal that, I can conceal almost anything.  It is heavy, but I am getting used to it.  Since I will train on it and it will be my most proficient firearm, I need to carry it.  I will invest in a G26 in the future for the situations where I have even more need to conceal or formal dinner functions. 

IMO if you are going to carry something, it should be what you have the most familiarity and trust in.  You can conceal almost anything you want, and comfort is a state of mind, but you need to trust your firearm.
“A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects.”  Robert Heinlein

"There's this new thing called Situational Awareness!"  Sterling Archer

Offline pokeshell

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Against the assault of laughter nothing can stand.
« Reply #34 on: October 12, 2012, 03:23:41 AM »
Can't afford more than one right now.  I want to buy something that is durable, reliable, small and light enough that I will want to carry it and something I will be happy with and stick with for a long time.

For the revolver platform, a J-frame or LCR fits these criteria.  For autos a glock 26 seems to fit these criteria.  Being left handed I have found it near impossible to operate the slide release on most of the slim 9's.  I can do it no problem on a glock.  Some of the small .380's were easier for me to operate like the sigp238 and keltec's p3at.  However, I am not sure if the keltec fits all of my above criteria.

I carried this gun for many years and still do about 1/3-1/2 of the time. It is the gun I am trying to get away from. But I LOVE that gun. I did swap all my carry and training mags to have the extra pinky finger on the bottom like this one here:

You can not go wrong with this gun. If you can afford it, it will carry great. It will go bang when you need it to. It is easy to clean, and there is LOTS of video about the gun on google and youtube. Everything from stripping, repairing to shooting technique. You can even find people testing it under water.

This gun will serve you for years till you can get another gun, and there is lots of inexpensive ammo to practice with. PLUS, you can pop a 30 round magazine in it and make a smiley face from a paper plate.

Just go get it, and shoot it this weekend. ;D

PokeShell

”I have a very strict gun control policy: if there’s a gun around, I want to be in control of it.”
~Clint Eastwood

Offline Shaunypoo

• Dedicated Contributor
  • "He is a platypus, they don't do much." - Phineas
« Reply #35 on: October 14, 2012, 09:33:00 AM »
I carried this gun for many years and still do about 1/3-1/2 of the time. It is the gun I am trying to get away from. But I LOVE that gun. I did swap all my carry and training mags to have the extra pinky finger on the bottom like this one here:

So the question that remains unanswered: Why are you trying to get away from it?

“A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects.”  Robert Heinlein

"There's this new thing called Situational Awareness!"  Sterling Archer

Offline Engineer

• Prepper
  • No Turkey Talkin' Here
« Reply #36 on: October 14, 2012, 11:00:16 AM »
I started out with a Kahr P380 (only 0.75" wide) and then felt the need to go to something with a little more punch so I purchased a Keltec PF-9 (9mm).  It was a nice comfortable and acceptable size however it was terribly unreliable on extracting many different types of rounds.  I had it gunsmithed and no luck on solving the issue.  With it working successfully only part of the time I decided that I had to get rid of it since I had no confidence it would work when I needed it too.  I'm back to carrying my Kahr P380 with crimson trace daily.  However I'll be honest with you I'm highly considering purchasing a Glock 26.     

Offline Scottman

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #37 on: October 14, 2012, 07:49:50 PM »
I need a bathing suit gun in my lineup. I think the naa minis are the one for me for that.

Any feeding problems running the g18 happy stick magazines in a g 26/27.

Offline pokeshell

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #38 on: October 19, 2012, 08:20:48 PM »
So the question that remains unanswered: Why are you trying to get away from it?

After much research, I think more rounds of .22 would do better for me. I have mastered this 9mm. But, as I grow older, it is getting harder for me to conceal when at clients. The weight of the 9mm can be a bit much. I have back problems, and it can run heavy, an issue I did not have 2 years ago. I just can not put a couple hundred rounds through it in a day, and walk right the next. If you throw in any other lager caliber, and it takes me a couple days to recover.

At my gun club, I can only practice in rimfire, on many of the moving targets. I have gotten pretty confident with it.

If I was healthy, I would carry the above gun all the time.

PokeShell

PokeShell

”I have a very strict gun control policy: if there’s a gun around, I want to be in control of it.”
~Clint Eastwood

Offline lowland farmer

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #39 on: October 26, 2012, 06:45:50 AM »
I went from carrying the S&W Chief's Special most of the time to the 1911 GM all of the time. A loose T-shirt hides it just fine. In cooler weather or for more formal attire, the 1911 is even easier to hide.

Offline Docwatmo

• May Ignite Spontaneously
  • Administrator
  • Survival Veteran
  • The Prepper Rising from the Ashes
« Reply #40 on: October 26, 2012, 07:49:29 AM »
I carried a Ruger P85 Full sized duty pistol for 2 years, I never found it hard or unconfortable to carry, but was always under the impression a smaller gun would be lighter and less bulky so I could carry with less cover clothing, or with just a T-shirt etc.  (I quickly figured out that the holster had more to do with good concealment than the clothing).    I started looking for smaller guns but I don't like small guns, I like full sized for shooting (I have big hands).  I tried some of the tiny carry guns like the LCP and couldn't stand them.  Sure they are invisible in a pocket, but just seemed like too many trade off for me.   I was looking at several options, and had narrowed my choice of a new gun down to about 4 or 5 pistols that were in my price range.   However, shortly before purchasing one of them, my wife decided to get her carry permit and get a pistol. (ME JUMPING FOR JOY LOL).   She tried out about a dozen guns and didn't like any of them,  None of them felt "Right" in her hand.  Then she tried an XD 9mm Subcompact and was instantly smitten. 

I had never even considered the XD, they were a bit bigger than what I wanted in a subcompact.   But we bought hers and tried it out and I was instantly a fan.  The extended mags turned it into a full size grip, and it was extremely accurate for such a short pistol.  I did a bunch more research and put it back on my short list.  Then after shooting hers for a couple of weeks and seeing how well built, accurate and down right amazing this gun was.  I decided to purchase one for myself as well.  I did get a finger extension for the primary carry mag so it is a full grip for me (Again, big hands and I don't like 2 fingering a gun.  I can but it's just not the way I prefer to shoot.)   The full size mag extension make it a full sized duty pistol.

I love this gun because I can shoot and train with the same gun in different situations with different grips and everything is the same, no safety to mess with and miss during an adrenaline dump, simple manual of arms and the same reliability of a Glock.  I normally carry with just the primary mag and 13 +1 rounds.  But if I am going somewhere where I feel I need more, I drop another 16 round mag on my belt. 

This is as small of a gun as I am comfortable carrying.   I wear it all the time with just a t-shirt for cover.   I do use an M-tac Minotaur holster which hugs it up against me really well and is an excellent concealed carry rig.  I can go tucked or untucked with it also.

Some of it is also just getting used to it.  I have gotten used enough to carrying that I don't worry about printing and stuff anymore.  Once you find the right gun at the right size, and your comfortable with it, and you shoot well with it at the range AND when doing training, you'll find a way to carry it comfortably.  Regardless of the size.

Yeah, smaller can be lighter and easier to carry just be aware of the trade offs.  I can hit anything I wish out to 25 meters just as well with the short barreled XD as I can with my full size Ruger.  Now I can hit with the Ruger at longer distances more accurately, but that's to be expected, and I don't carry a pistol for long distance engagements, I carry it for up close stuff.

Docwatmo

Father of 3 wonderfull little men, and lucky husband to an amazing woman. 
"Courage is being scared to death - but saddling up anyway." John Wayne
"Don't prepare for everything, prepare for anything." Doc 
"Gods Speed, Jenkins, Gods Speed" - Nafterize

Mark II, Mod 3, gas operated, self lubricating Inflatable Goat type 1
Ever watchful for the deadly Blue Winged Pecker Snapple
http://averageguyreviews.wordpress.com

Offline CR Williams

• Survivalist Mentor
    • In Shadow In Light
« Reply #41 on: November 02, 2012, 07:41:28 AM »

I've seen them run without issue. (By the way, G18 mag shouldn't go into G27. 9mm in a .40 S&W gun doesn't always end well. There is, however, a 22-rd Glock-factory mag for the .40 cal Glocks available.) I have heard other reports that finger pressure on the mag when running 'oversize' in the G26 creates some problems with feeding, IIRC. If you're going to run larger, there are magazine grip sleeves you can get that will extend the grip and remove that problem, or you can add a +2 or Arredondo extension to the G26 magazine to get the same effect.
My cats support the 2nd Amendment.

In Shadow In Light - dedicated to the study and advancement of the art and the science of the fight.

www.inshadowinlight.com

Offline patrat

• Survivor
« Reply #42 on: November 02, 2012, 09:53:05 AM »
Started out with the XD45 "compact" (not the new XD-S mind you). Bought what was supposed to be the most comfortable most concealable popular holster for it, and carried it for ~6 months. Awful! Best concealment was appendix carry with Comptac MTAC, and it still printed, not to mention the tell tale clips. One of my wife's friends would always say that I had an interesting tumor growing, and would tell me whether I was or wasn't carrying that day.

That doesn't work for me, also it tended to cause painful stomache aches having that iron strapped on my stomache. I am athletic build, I do not know if other builds would have that problem.

In the end, I have been happy carrying a PF9 in a SmartCarry for 2+years now. I have acquired a Boberg XR9-S which will replace it after one more range session to prove it. The Boberg is smaller, better ballistics, and easier to shoot. The only negatives are a bit more weight and 4 x price.

Offline pokeshell

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #43 on: November 03, 2012, 02:31:04 AM »
I need a bathing suit gun in my lineup. I think the naa minis are the one for me for that.

I have the 30 round mags in my safe ready to go. I take them to the range, and I have thousands of rounds of BANG with no issues.

I have shot his setup as full auto (not my gun) and it was the only guns that did not fail. We also did it in the GLOCK17 full auto. We had misfires, jams, fire pin, and barrel replacements on the Thompson .45, Usi, and MP5. Glock was all that stood up to full auto. All machineguns failed at the 500-700 round mark. Not the GLOCKS, they kept us firing. The Thompson was still fireing, but the stock was burnt, smoking, red, and close to fire. They shut us down on that gun, and refunded the overpriced rounds.

I bet my life on a 30 round mag in the GLOCK 26. I live it everyday. At home, it is the next in line after my 10 round everyday carry. If given the time, I would drop the 10 round, and put in the 30.

Last Xmas, I have handed the .44 mag to my wife, and just taken the GLOCK. But, wife unlocked the 870 under the bed as I waited at top of stairs for police to arive.

All was well, no harm, no foul. I think the 200lbs of "German Shepard love" scared them off. We got snow footprints, but no prosicution.

Back to the main question, if I could carry the GLOCK 26 all the time I would. I have carried as long as it was legal in Minnesota.

Did you buy anything?

PokeShell

~Clint Eastwood

Offline SpareMag

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #44 on: November 03, 2012, 05:22:12 AM »
I went from carrying the S&W Chief's Special most of the time to the 1911 GM all of the time. A loose T-shirt hides it just fine. In cooler weather or for more formal attire, the 1911 is even easier to hide.

Similar situation~started with same S&W, carried a Beretta .32 in hottest weather~~~then discovered with a loose tshirt I could conceal my favorite handgun, a Beretta 92FS.
USMC vet

Offline Nate

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Expanding my skill set: studying to be a nurse
« Reply #45 on: November 04, 2012, 06:41:13 AM »
Have not bought anything yet.  I am still working on a good time to get the carry conversation going again.  My wife feels we do not live in a high risk area, and we do not "go to stupid places with stupid people and do stupid things at stupid times".  Therefore, she does not see a justification for me to carry.  She has said many times that if we lived in a big city she would be all for me carrying.

Thanks for the feedback so far.  I keep flip flopping between platforms in my head, (large/small and revolver/auto) and everyone's feedback has been helpful.
NATE

"This is the Law of the Yukon, that only the Strong shall thrive;
That surely the Weak shall perish, and only the Fit survive."  Robert Service

Offline Scottman

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #46 on: November 04, 2012, 07:15:35 PM »
normalcy bias.... our loved ones are rank with it.

Offline Ripper

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #47 on: November 04, 2012, 07:44:38 PM »
Have not bought anything yet.  I am still working on a good time to get the carry conversation going again.  My wife feels we do not live in a high risk area, and we do not "go to stupid places with stupid people and do stupid things at stupid times".  Therefore, she does not see a justification for me to carry.  She has said many times that if we lived in a big city she would be all for me carrying.

Thanks for the feedback so far.  I keep flip flopping between platforms in my head, (large/small and revolver/auto) and everyone's feedback has been helpful.

With all due respect to your wife, it's not her decision. If you feel you should carry a weapon, do it. I carry because one day I may have to use it to protect someone's life; be it my own, my family's, or the life of a fellow citizen. The choice is your own as you alone will be carrying the responsibility of maintaining it as well as the mindset and skill to use it.

I carry a Gen4 Glock 19 every single day. It's big enough to shoot comfortably and small enough to conceal. 15+1 rounds of 9mm and exchangeable backstraps. It's awesome.

When trying to decide what to get, the best advice I can give is to go to a gun store or gun show. Don't listen to anything the guy behind the counter has to say unless it's the answer to a question you have. Pick up every handgun in the particular caliber you've chosen. See how they feel in your hand. Is it comfortable? Ask yourself if you'd carry it daily. If the answer is "no" then put it down. When you find one to say "yes" to, then ask yourself where on your person you'd conceal it. (I prefer appendix but its not for everyone.) Once you find a model that's comfortable in your hand, packs enough punch for you, and its something you're willing to carry every day, Don't buy it.
Find a range that rents out guns and call to see if they have that model. Go shoot it and see if it's got the right amount of controlability. If it does, then you drop dough for it.
Good Luck in your search and remember that sometimes stupid people will come to you to do stupid things.  ;)
"Wherever I go,
everyone is safer because I am there.
 Wherever I am,
anyone in need has a friend.
 Whenever I return home,
everyone is happy I am there"
 ~Robert L. Humphrey

Offline cdhm22

• Survivor
« Reply #48 on: November 24, 2012, 08:18:38 AM »
I just listened to a podcast on this very topic of small vs big. It was safety solutions academy episode 304. He makes some interesting points, and the biggest one being if you aren't will to practice/train with it you shouldn't carry the smaller gun. I don't have my CCW yet but am taking the class on Dec 15th, so I'm not going to throw out an opinion quite yet.

Offline Absit

• Prepper
« Reply #49 on: November 24, 2012, 02:07:24 PM »
I started with a full size full steel 1911.  I went to a SIG P226 (appendix), then a Glock 19 (appendix), then a SIG P220 (hip from then on), then a Glock 19, then a lightweight full size 1911, and back to a Glock 19.  I won't go smaller than that and I find the Glock 19 to be an ideal carry gun (weight/size/capacity balance).  I also follow the "one gun" theory, because of that I'm actually going to be switching to a SIG P229 shortly (not my choice).  However, I never really had a problem concealing the bigger guns (even with appendix carry).
Nemo vir est qui mundum non reddat meliorem.

Offline robertov416

• Prepper
    • Progress on 13 in 13 skills
« Reply #50 on: November 24, 2012, 02:48:17 PM »
I started carrying both a 1911 full size or Glock 17 and my wife used a Glock 19.  However, she wanted something smaller and went with the Glock 26 (that she likes immensely), then I went to her Glock 19.  It was comfortable, but a 9mm doesn't bring me "great" peace of mind.  After I found a used Glock 30 (.45) in good shape (which is only marginally larger than a Glock 19), that became my EDC.

I might occasionally carry something different, but the G30 is the one that hits the sweet spot of "wears comfortable and brings me the most peace of mind".  Also keep a couple higher capacity G21 mags close by since they fit the G30.

Offline endurance

• Dances With Newfies
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #51 on: November 24, 2012, 05:13:33 PM »
... He makes some interesting points, and the biggest one being if you aren't will to practice/train with it you shouldn't carry the smaller gun....
One of the problems with this argument is that while I could shoot my PM9 more, it's a 5,000 round gun.  If I'm shooting 150 rounds a month, in under three years I've worn the gun out.  On the other hand, if I'm shooting my XD9, I'll realistically never wear it out in my lifetime.  Yes, it's true that I find my XD a lot more comfortable to shoot and after 50 rounds through my PM9 I feel like I'm done anyway, but what's wrong with that?  If I can shoot 25-50 rounds a month through my PM9 and 100-150 rounds a month through my XD, well, that gun will last over a decade, maybe a dozen years, and I'll still know how it handles and have plenty of range time.  To each their own.

Once you get to carrying, you might change your tune on this one.  During the summer, my XD rarely leaves the nightstand since I'm usually in shorts and t-shirts and I find the PM9 a lot easier to conceal under the circumstances.

Since shooting a friend's Glock 26 both with the extended mag and without and the XD9 Subcompact, both with and without, I see that as the best solution.  Both are small when you need them to be and can still carry as much ammo as their bigger brethren.  To me, carrying a Subcompact XD9 with a shorty mag with one extra large mag in a pouch or pocket would probably the best solution imaginable.  Of course, if I'm backpacking and want to go with the lightest gun possible, you simply cannot beat my little PM9.

@ Nate, I completely understand the challenges with the wife.  Mine is an ICU nurse who sees plenty of the other side of the bullet (the damage it leaves behind).  It took some time, but since getting my CCW and carrying for several years around her, there are definitely times when she asks for the reassurance that I am in fact carrying.  Of course our post Aurora movie theater shooting conversation was a whole different story.  She sees the benefits of a well armed society a whole lot clearer after that incident (especially since she had several shifts caring for the victims of the shooting). 

Of course there's a balance to be struck on sharing stories that show just how dangerous the world can be and keeping her happy in the comfort of her blinders.  I used to forward local news stories on violence in our community to her and it didn't take too long before I saw her struggling with how miserable the world is.  That wasn't exactly building her a better life, whether times get tough...  I've stopped that silliness since then and all is right in the world again... or at least in her world. ;)
"There are things that you don't question when your home always smells like baking bread."  From The Hunger Games

“No nation could preserve its freedom in the midst of continual warfare.”   James Madison

Offline up on the hill

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #52 on: November 24, 2012, 06:34:45 PM »
We decided a long time ago, that my wife and I would carry compatible platforms. When her agency issued the Sig 45 and 5 shot revolvers, we carried the same, About 10 years ago they switched to the G17/G19/G26 platform and that is what we each carry today. Same 2nd mag (g17), same "duty" ammo, same aftermarket sights, and most of our personal preferences in holsters will fit each model. Would I carry something different given the choice, maybe, but economics are a funny thing.

As far as the big to small issue, it really depends on the situation. My everyday gun is the G19, but will move up or down as the situation (threat, dress, activity, etc) dictates. Bottom line whatever you and your wife decide.....CARRY IT EVERYDAY.

Offline excaliber

• Survivalist Mentor
  • gunning in Iraq
« Reply #53 on: November 24, 2012, 07:06:25 PM »
I go back and forth, I have Walther PPS in .40 I carry, it is very thin with a single stack mag. I also have a smaller S&W bodyguard 380 that I carry when I feel like I dont really need to carry, it is really small I can just drop it in my pocket. If I go to the city I switch to the bigger .40.

Offline Garandman

• Prepper
« Reply #54 on: November 24, 2012, 07:06:48 PM »
I was in a border cavalry squadron in the Army when we carried M1911's. After carrying one around for 4-6 weeks at a shot, I bought a SIGP220 when I got home. Great pistol and a bit lighter but also hard to conceal.

Then I went to a S&W Chief's Special 9mm. I'd seen plenty of wound data in the Army and had no problem with the 9mm Luger round.

That was good in an IWB holster, but was a bit too small for my hand and I didn't find it very accurate. So then I tried a S&W 3913, which is a slightly larger single stack 9mm. I don't find it any harder to conceal than the CS9 but holds one more round, fits my hand better and is easier to be accurate with. Very pleased with this pistol but I'm looking at a S&W M&P Compact or another compact SIG, also in 9mm.

SIG P220 vs. M1911A1.

P220 vs. 3913.

Offline pokeshell

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #55 on: November 25, 2012, 04:25:37 AM »
 :-* Gun porn pictures!. :-*

Mmmmm Ahhhhh

Hey honey, Can you swap that GLOCK 9mm to a .22 barrel, this time with your blind fold on?

Ohhh Yeah! I love the way it sounds when you rack that slide.

PokeShell

~Clint Eastwood

Offline pokeshell

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #56 on: November 25, 2012, 04:26:30 AM »
decorative element
Racking the slide is not about strength.
 It is all about technique.

PokeShell

~Clint Eastwood

Offline donaldj

• Dedicated Contributor
    • Martial Tactical Training of Michigan
« Reply #57 on: November 25, 2012, 05:45:03 PM »
I started small. Beretta Tomcat 3032.

I had a coworker who was a complete 1911 fanboi. In his mind, there were no other options. Of course, one day we were out in summer, shorts and t-shirt weather, and he didnt have the wardrobe to conceal it, so it stayed home.

A 32ACP in the pocket is more powerful than a 45ACP at home.

I eventually upped it to a Walther PPK/S, then an HK USP Compact 45. Finally after lots of training involving moving and shooting, and moving targets, I discovered how hard it really is to hit with adrenaline and movement. Worse still is reloading downtime. I ended up switching from 45ACP to 9x19mm for capacity and less reloading downtime.

Fortunately, there are now a ton of holsters that make concealability far easier than its ever been. When i started, the subcompacts were the only 'risk free' choice to conceal. Now, you can conceal a full size 1911 or 92FS with minor wardrobe changes and the right holster.
Doesn't matter what the press says. Doesn't matter what the politicians or the mobs say. Doesn't matter if the whole country decides that something wrong is something right. This nation was founded on one principle above all else: the requirement that we stand up for what we believe, no matter the odds or the consequences. When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world — "No, you move."     -Captain America

See my Examiner.com articles on Emergency Preparations: http://www.examiner.com/detroit-emergency-preparedness-in-detroit/donald-alley

See my Examiner.com articles on martial arts:  http://www.examiner.com/martial-arts-in-detroit/donald-alley

Offline sdcharger

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #58 on: December 02, 2012, 03:07:54 PM »
I carry the smallest gun I feel is reliable.  Right now I choose between a .38 snubnose and a Kel Tec PF9.  I've owned and tried ccw smaller guns and they have all been sold.

When I'm not in town, such as hiking, camping, or hunting, I carry a larger sidearm.

Offline up on the hill

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #59 on: December 02, 2012, 05:32:04 PM »

Food for thought.....We live in a low crime area, but in the last week they found a partially burned body with 2 to the head and one to the back 300 yards from my house, a murder\suicide that a dude killed his cats, wife, and then turned the gun on himself, and finally a sex offender caught on a Walmart video trying to molest an eleven year old girl.............luckily my better half has put two of the three in jail.......of ciurse the sex offender made bail the next day......but that's a whole different conversation..........and this is BFE nowhere NC.