Author Topic: CCW gun size: how many started big, changed to small?  (Read 7478 times)

Offline Kilroy

• Prepper
  • Have gun, will travel
Re: CCW gun size: how many started big, changed to small?
« Reply #60 on: December 04, 2012, 09:08:11 AM »
Carried a GLOCK 21 & S&W J-frame for many years, now a GLOCK 19 and J-frame.  When work requires it, a G-27, but I don't try to make it a habit and I don't care for the .40 SW caliber.  Considering a G30, but my 19 is such a great companion, I'll need a very compelling reason to do so.  Maybe SHOT 2013 will change that.   ;)
Kilroy...

...was here.

Offline Nate

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Expanding my skill set: studying to be a nurse
« Reply #61 on: December 04, 2012, 01:51:19 PM »
Killroy,

Looks like you have the best of both worlds: A G19 and a j frame.  Which do you carry the most, or do you carry both at the same time?
NATE

"This is the Law of the Yukon, that only the Strong shall thrive;
That surely the Weak shall perish, and only the Fit survive."  Robert Service

Offline Kilroy

• Prepper
  • Have gun, will travel
« Reply #62 on: December 09, 2012, 06:12:51 PM »
Killroy,

Looks like you have the best of both worlds: A G19 and a j frame.  Which do you carry the most, or do you carry both at the same time?

I carry both, about 95% of the time.  If I step out of the house to walk the dog, it might be only the J-frame, with a couple of speed loaders.  My EDC is the G19, second magazine, flashligh, j-frame and reloads for it.  A few other items, but I dress for all occasions as needs must.
Kilroy...

...was here.

Offline PistolWhipped

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #63 on: December 16, 2012, 09:03:24 PM »
Currently I'm carrying a G26, but I'm strongly considering stepping up to at least a G19, if not a 17.  That short handle can be tricky to hit a good grip on at speed.  And I'm a big guy, it ain't that hard to hide a somewhat bigger gun.

Offline 16onRockandRoll

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Prepper Wannabe
« Reply #64 on: December 16, 2012, 09:32:11 PM »
PistolWhipped, do you have the finger rest baseplates on your mags?  I haven't shot a baby GLOCK, but handling them, I can't stand the way they feel without it. I'm not a huge fan of the way any GLOCKS feel in my hand (it's a great gun, it's just not for me), but the fat grip just feels stupid with only 2 fingers on it.
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."
—Jeff Cooper, The Art of the Rifle

Offline pokeshell

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Against the assault of laughter nothing can stand.
« Reply #65 on: December 17, 2012, 03:45:52 PM »
PistolWhipped, do you have the finger rest baseplates on your mags?  I haven't shot a baby GLOCK, but handling them, I can't stand the way they feel without it. I'm not a huge fan of the way any GLOCKS feel in my hand (it's a great gun, it's just not for me), but the fat grip just feels stupid with only 2 fingers on it.
I have them on all mags for my 26 and love 'em.

PokeShell

”I have a very strict gun control policy: if there’s a gun around, I want to be in control of it.”
~Clint Eastwood

Offline Chemsoldier

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #66 on: December 17, 2012, 04:17:29 PM »
Started mid sized and stayed there.  Glock 23/19 the whole time with an occasional flirtation with a 3" N-Frame and a Glock 20.  I bought  Kel-Tec P3AT but I feel naked with just that gun.  The P3AT ends up being a back up when I carry it, which is becoming less frequent.
"You can always count on Americans to do the right thing, after they've tried everything else"
-Winston Churchill

"You think health care is expensive now? Wait until its free!"
-P.J. O'Rourke

Offline PistolWhipped

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #67 on: December 18, 2012, 03:30:54 PM »
I usually run the flush 10 rounders for deep concealment, which is most of the time.  I don't care for the finger ramps, but I love the factory +2 floorplates.  Getting some 10+2 factory mags, and maybe some factory 17 round mags with X-grip adapters.

Offline Nate

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #68 on: December 19, 2012, 06:34:30 AM »
I have been looking at the G26 but I cant seem to get a good grip on it.   I want to shoot a G26 to see how it works for me.  I did find a vintage colt cobra, with exposed hammer and unshrouded ejector rod, at a pawn shop for $379.  It locks up tight and in good cosmetic condition.  It has been there for awhile which makes me wonder if I missed something.  It seems like those guns go for a lot more online.  It fits my hand well and carries 1 extra round compared to a J frame so I have been considering it.
NATE

Offline endurance

• Dances With Newfies
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #69 on: December 19, 2012, 08:55:30 AM »
That cobra seems like a pretty thick gun for concealing.  You'd probably need to go up two inches on your pants for inside the waistband (IWB) carry (which is not nearly as comfortable with revolvers anyway).  How were you planning on carrying?  IWB is a lot easier to conceal (only need a long t-shirt to conceal) but you do have to go up an inch in your pants for comfort with most semi-autos.  And yes, you do end up with a pile of pre-carry pants and post-carry pants after a few years.
"There are things that you don't question when your home always smells like baking bread."  From The Hunger Games

“No nation could preserve its freedom in the midst of continual warfare.”   James Madison

Offline Nate

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #70 on: December 19, 2012, 08:08:23 PM »
It seems to me that front pocket carry or in colder months coat pocket carry is the most practical.  Not really sure if the cobra would work in the pants pocket.  This is why I started this thread, to see how many started with a larger gun suited for IWB or OWB and went to something smaller for pocket carry.  If I decide on something larger like a glock or even that cobra, it might be IWB.
NATE

Offline 16onRockandRoll

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Prepper Wannabe
« Reply #71 on: December 19, 2012, 11:44:28 PM »
Nate, look at the S&W M&P compacts.  Not much bigger than a G26, but you can get 3 fingers on them.  Really nice guns too.
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."

Offline endurance

• Dances With Newfies
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #72 on: December 20, 2012, 09:58:05 AM »
I just had my hands on a Sig 239 DAK and was thoroughly impressed.  The single stack magazine made if easy to wrap your hands all the way around very comfortably. 

If my priorities weren't going toward guns we might not be able to buy in a few months, I definitely would have picked one up.

As for pocket carry, I seriously hate the idea, especially with a revolver with a big hook of a hammer like that.  You'll notice that most modern J-frames have a bobbed hammer.  that's because a hammer is just a giant hook that snags on your clothing when drawing and makes it a nightmare to deploy quickly.

IMHO, if you go with a revolver, you need to go OWB for comfort, if you go with an auto the Crossbreed holsters simply can't be beat for comfort, retention, concealability, and drawspeed/ability to return to holster with one hand (I don't like IWB holsters that collapse when you draw, as there may be a time when I need to go hands on with someone and put the gun away).
"There are things that you don't question when your home always smells like baking bread."  From The Hunger Games

“No nation could preserve its freedom in the midst of continual warfare.”   James Madison

Offline abramsgunner

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #73 on: December 20, 2012, 11:28:00 AM »
When I started carrying, I chose a 4" 1911 in a custom made holster.  It carries very well and is comfortable... but an all-steel 1911 loaded with 8 rounds is rather heavy.  That 1911 was inexpensive and the park job is pretty light, so rust from a sweaty Alabama day was always a concern.

I decided I needed something a little more rust resistant, and while I was shopping, something a little lighter and easier to hide under a tucked-in shirt.

I went with the Kahr CW9 in a Crossbreed IWB holster and haven't looked back.  Great size and weight, and the Crossbreed is very comfortable and affordable, and a tucks well with most any shirt I own.

I like the XD's and M&P's and would like to have one of each in a full size .45, but the Kahr (or anything else its size or weight) is a fantastic carry pistol.

Offline Kilroy

• Prepper
  • Have gun, will travel
« Reply #74 on: December 21, 2012, 11:52:13 AM »
Regarding extensions on the G26/27 magazines.

I would suggest avoiding aftermarket parts in the search for magazine extensions.  If concealment is important.  Avoid them altogether.

A major advantage of the magazine with NO extension is that there is not enough handle/pistol grip, to allow a shooter to milk the grip, which can cause shots to miss their intended destination.  Proper shooting grip allows one to maintain complete control over the gun, absent grip extensions.

Aftermarket parts should be avoided.  I've seen where aftermarket extensions created a situation that the magazine bodies were damaged or would not fit/stay inside the gun.
Kilroy...

...was here.

Offline PistolWhipped

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #75 on: December 21, 2012, 09:24:26 PM »
I would get the Glock Factory +2 plates if I got mag extensions.  They are the only one that maintain the factory reliability.  That is the driving reason I bought a Glock.  I'm not going to fubar it with anything that would compromise that.

I shoot fine with the the 10 rounders, but a little longer grip would make presentation faster, especially when moving and shooting.  I can conceal a Government sized 1911 under a loose t-shirt, so a little extra mag length on a G26 is not a concealment issue for me in all but the strictest NPEs, where I rely on pocket or ankle carry.

As for pistol marksmanship snafus, my combat gun handling is more than accurate enough for the vast majority of situations I may face.  And my range marksmanship is even better.

Offline JC2

• Senior Survivalist
    • Harvesting Grace Farm
« Reply #76 on: December 27, 2012, 02:32:21 AM »
I must admit after reading through this post im a bit concerned. I just bought a kimber super carry pro (not yet delivered) and now im concerned it might not be the best for cc. I did think it looked like it would meet my needs as it is in the aluminum frame so weight is reduced and it has the four inch barrel along with kimbers carry melt process. I also wanted something i can throw the 22lr conversion kit onto so i could get some practice in without the expense of the 45 rounds. I'm locked in now and hope im not second guessing myself.
Life is full of many choices,
if you don't like your life,
make better choices.

http://www.harvestinggracefarm.com

Offline Luvmy45

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #77 on: December 27, 2012, 10:01:29 AM »
There is no single right answer for 1 CCW gun that will work for you at all times... if you have 1 gun for CCW you have compromised in some way at some time. Risk revealing your gun when you need discretion and the gun is too obvious, or you carry too small when a full size gun would easily have worked.

Full size gun is your best choice most of the time, if you should need to use a gun... more ammo, easier to shoot, easier to aim, easier to manipulate.

BUT, remember the gun is a tool, and tools have specific needs... you need more than one type to complete your CCW wardrobe.

Have a full size, or medium size handgun in sometype of hip holster when you can... an IWB with those of use with bodies that can utilize them, hiding a full size 1911 is no problem, or Glock/XD/S&W, heck even a large revo is not a problem. In the winter, and times when my clothing allows, this is the best choice.

However, there are times that discretion is needed, and having that full size gun or something along those lines, just isn't going to fly, so you need a small gun, like a Shield, keltec, Kahr, etc... in 9mm is probably your best choice... again with a IWB holster or pocket holster if you have one small enough to fit in a pocket holster.

NEVER CARRY IN YOUR POCKET or PURSE WITHOUT A HOLSTER!!!!!!

Then there are times that you need super discrete, the 380 series of pistols, P3AT or equivalent with a pocket holster is great and will do the trick.

My personal carry guns are 1911 in Govt and Officer's size in .45 when I can with spare mag on belt in a Milt Spark IWB holster. For times when I'm feeling the need, I carry a XDM in 9mm IWB Crossbread with spare mags...

I also carry a Keltec P3AT with spare mag in either a Crossbread Supertuck or Desanties pocket holster depending level of discretion that is needed.

All that said, the best gun to have is the one you have with you, don't 2nd guess your choice, have it with you whatever it is, and learn to carry it with comfort.
Brian K.

W1CDP

Offline robertov416

• Prepper
    • Progress on 13 in 13 skills
« Reply #78 on: December 28, 2012, 06:33:29 AM »
My wife and I have avoided .380 as our concealed carry choices, opting instead for various glock 9mm or .45s.  However, she in particular has found there are some instances with business attire where it’s difficult for my her to conceal, and she dislikes relying on her primary carry that is in her purse.  She recently settled on a minute Ruger LCP for an invisible ankle carry.  The LC9 was just enough larger that it wasn’t working despite her desire to make it work.  Sometimes you just have to acquiesce to what fits the best and that you’ll EDC beyond a doubt.  I feel better that on those days when her preferred EDC has to ride in her purse, she still has something on her person that provides a backup.

On another note:  After putting almost two hundred rounds through the LCP at the range, I have a new respect for the very punchy bark this tiny gun packs.  After it started rubbing my hand raw, I had to start using offhand and one handed positions to vary things a bit.  What really started working for me was an aggressively firm grip, but I don’t think I would have found that out if I had stopped after 100 rounds.  The shot placement got better as well.  Altogether, there were three FTEs (Failure to Ejects), so I was pretty happy with the break-in period.

I am now considering the LCP as an ankle carry “disaster backup” as well….. best option, NO….. better than bringing a knife to a gunfight, YES.

Offline lowland farmer

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #79 on: December 31, 2012, 08:37:20 AM »
My little carry gun has been a Government Model 1911 .45, but lately I have been carrying my Krink SBR under my long coat. So it's the 1911 in the summer, the Krink AND the 1911 in the winter. As far as I'm concerned, the only time a gun can be too large is when you are not wearing enough clothes to hide your larger, more effective self-defense tool. There ain't no such thing as too much gun or too much firepower.

Offline Burton

• Survivalist Mentor
  • NOVA Prepper
« Reply #80 on: December 31, 2012, 09:33:23 AM »
Just ordered a P224 .40 S&W Gen 2 as my first CCW. I have fired the G27 in .40S&W and liked it after a couple of magazine changes as it is a snappy little thing and not having a pinkie on the grip felt odd at first; but the owner of said G27 also had several sigs which he swears by and suggested I look into a P239.

Not only did I look into the P239 I saw the new even smaller P224 and jumped on it. It is heavier yes, but it's all metal and well ... a sig. Not sure when it is shipping but I can't wait to get it. The reason for choosing .40S&W was simply because most people, including LEO's I know personally, told me if you really want to put someone down don't go lower than .40S&W.

That stated I am looking at the P238 (think that is the right number) which is 9mm for a super small pocket carry size to supplement the P224.

For those that might not know the P224 is a P229 (even accepts their mags) with the nose and grip cut off about 1" It is very hard to find right now and it is only in DAK at the moment. You cant get the DA/SA trigger option till fall 2013.

Offline Nate

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #81 on: January 15, 2013, 09:26:59 PM »
My wife said the other day  "is there any gun that you want?  You might want to get it soon with all this political gun stuff going on."  That was music to my ears!

Got a used LCR 38 special +p used today for $360.  I picked up a box of 158 grain LRN ammo, box of 110 grain hydrashock low recoil, plus snap caps all from the same place.  Total with tax was $425.  I fired the whole box of the 158 grain and was sad I ran out.  Each round went right where I wanted them to.  The hydra shocks shot low (fired 10 of the 20 rounds) and I noticed very little difference in recoil from either round.  In fact, it was pleasant to shoot with either round.  The shop I got it from has 158 grain +p lead HP's for $25 for a box of 50.  I might pick up some of those.  The LRN ammo I bought today was $15 from that shop.  They have a few boxes left.  I might buy it all since every shop I went to today was out of 38.

Carried it in my jacket pocket home from the shop and to wal mart.  I barely noticed it was there.  After shooting it today I carried it home in my jeans pocket and carried it around the house tonite in the same pocket.  Barely noticed it was there.  Now I am looking for holsters and some speed strips.
NATE

Offline GodFearingMan

• Prepper
« Reply #82 on: January 15, 2013, 10:17:36 PM »
I started with a full size S&W M&P40 and have carried that gun everyday, even at the house, for over a year now in a Galco king Tuk holster without any problems, and I really like the feeling of having a full sized pistol on me at all times.

Offline robertov416

• Prepper
    • Progress on 13 in 13 skills
« Reply #83 on: January 15, 2013, 10:32:48 PM »
I broke down and got another Ruger LCP for me.... wife likes hers for shooting and backup...

it's very easy to ankle or pocket carry as a backup to my EDC Glock 30, or for when I can't go around untucked and carry the Glock.

Offline lowland farmer

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #84 on: January 15, 2013, 11:33:44 PM »
When it's cold enough to wear a long coat, I have taken to carrying a Yugo M92 Krink SBR with stock folded and the gun slung under my right armpit. Is that too small?

Offline pokeshell

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Against the assault of laughter nothing can stand.
« Reply #85 on: February 24, 2013, 05:24:17 PM »
When it's cold enough to wear a long coat, I have taken to carrying a Yugo M92 Krink SBR with stock folded and the gun slung under my right armpit. Is that too small?

What ammo you shooting with that?

For protection, this is a bad idea. The round will pass through and hit the next guy, and the one after that. Hell, it will go through the wall of your house, past your neighbors wall, and into their kid. Seems very reckless to me.

PokeShell

”I have a very strict gun control policy: if there’s a gun around, I want to be in control of it.”
~Clint Eastwood

Offline technicalanarchy

• Senior Survivalist
  • That's Pep in my profile pic
    • Response Technical
« Reply #86 on: February 24, 2013, 09:09:54 PM »
Currently I'm carrying a G26, but I'm strongly considering stepping up to at least a G19, if not a 17.  That short handle can be tricky to hit a good grip on at speed.  And I'm a big guy, it ain't that hard to hide a somewhat bigger gun.

I found some sleeve pieces you slide over a g19 mag and it fills in the grip space to make the g19 mag  perfectly fit the g26 grip and all. Just an option. Got a whole bunch of g26 pieces off a local gun board and they were in there. Work very well and you dont alter the mag other than just sliding the sleeve over.

I have a 26 and 19. Accuracy wise they are so close. I thought the 19 would out shhot a 26 17s a bit more accurate.

I like the fact the G26 will take any glock 9mm mag.

All that said lately I just carry my snubbie. I'd love to carry my Colt Cobra but its a 68 model and has no hammer block
Thanks,
Mike

Offline 16onRockandRoll

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Prepper Wannabe
« Reply #87 on: February 24, 2013, 10:21:14 PM »
I started out carrying my 3" Taurus 5-shot because it's what I had. I just renewed my permit and added my new Kahr P380 and my Walther P22, just because I can. I love the Kahr. I run finger rests on the 6rd mags, and 7rd mags that come with the rests already. That said, I will be moving up to something larger as funds come available. I'm thinking an M&p40c. If my county will let us list multiple calibers per gun, We will probably pick up one for my wife too, along with 9 and 357 sig bbls. I love shooting and carrying the P380, and I've had the revolver since I was a kid and am comfortable with it, but I really want something with more firepower for an EDC. The Kahr fits a niche, but 7+1 of .380 isn't ideal. I would feel a lot better with 9-10 rds of 40 or 9. 

Offline PistolWhipped

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #88 on: February 25, 2013, 12:08:54 AM »
I found some sleeve pieces you slide over a g19 mag and it fills in the grip space to make the g19 mag  perfectly fit the g26 grip and all. Just an option. Got a whole bunch of g26 pieces off a local gun board and they were in there. Work very well and you dont alter the mag other than just sliding the sleeve over.

I have a 26 and 19. Accuracy wise they are so close. I thought the 19 would out shhot a 26 17s a bit more accurate.

I like the fact the G26 will take any glock 9mm mag.

All that said lately I just carry my snubbie. I'd love to carry my Colt Cobra but its a 68 model and has no hammer block

That the X-Grip adapters?  Yeah.  Tried them at a gun show about 2 weeks before the fiasco started, but had to wait until payday to justify the cost.  Of course, by then magazines were sold out.

The trick is finding the mags. :D

Offline BamaPrepper

• Prepper
  • I tried to be reasonable...I didn't like it....
« Reply #89 on: February 25, 2013, 06:37:40 AM »
I started carrying with a 6 shot, snub nosed .38 and I carried it exclusively for many years.  As for what I carry now, I prefer a bigger gun with more weight to it, so I carry a Beretta 92fs as my primary in the colder months (it is easier to conceal under more clothing).  In the warmer months, I tend to carry my Springfield XDM .45 because it is a little lighter and smaller than the Beretta.

"It's not the will to win, it's the will to prepare to win that matters." Paul "Bear" Bryant

Don't draw fire...it irritates the people around you.