Photobucket

Author Topic: Deadbolt was picked  (Read 4670 times)

Offline Robinelli

• Survivalist Mentor
  • The purpose of life is a life of purpose
Deadbolt was picked
« on: October 07, 2012, 05:22:00 AM »
My front door deadbolt was picked last night. Nothing was taken but I have reason to believe we have a professional at work here who will be back.  What immediate steps beyond a police report can I take to ensure safety? This is not a hypothetical question. Today is Sunday, I'm not even sure what is open. My family slept soundly without waking while someone prowled around. A gun only works if you're awake to use it. My husband will not budge on a dog (no dogs). I appreciate your suggestions.
“The secret to staying young is to live honestly, eat slowly, and lie about your age.”

- Lucille Ball

Offline Oil Lady

• Lady oil lady oil la-dy hoo
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • My book needs more humor. My pen needs more salt.
Re: Deadbolt was picked
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2012, 06:39:38 AM »
Barricade the doors at night with chairs, etc. And a really heavy table braced agasinst a door works wonders.

Set up sound-triggering booby traps like a very fragile glass/ceramic vase that will topple to the floor instantly if a door is opened. (I know you said you have no dogs, but cats and small children might make this one a no-go.) 

Sorry about your incident. Perhaps I'm being sexist here, but I think women find this sort of thing far more terrifying than men on a much deeper level. Not to say men don't take it seriously, just that the word "terror" doesn't fit wiith men as much as the word "anger." But women more often fall into the category of "terror" over potential home invasions.
"This is the first scenario I've seen where I question the survivability of mankind." -- self-made billionaire Richard Rainwater in his business analysis of Peak Oil, "The Rainwater Prophecy," Fortune magazine, Dec 26, 2005

"This is an emergency far worse than World War I and World War II put together." -- CEO of Virgin Airlines, Sir Richard Branson on Peak Oil in CNN's investigative report "We Were Warned: Out of Gas" June 2007/May 2008 03:05

"We've got provisions and lots of beer. The key word is survival on the new frontier." --Steely Dan 1983

"... it doesn’t really matter who is removing your civil liberties, whether it is being done by a democratic government, a kleptocracy, a dictatorship or even the green police. When your civil rights are gone, they’re gone, and you really are in trouble, no matter how good the cause." --UK journalist Anthony Harrington, "Peak Oil and Collapse Scenarios," QFinance, September, 2011

Our parents used to say, "Don't worry, the government will take care of it."
And now our kids say, "Don't worry, the government will take care of us."

No food shall be grown that Monsanto does not own. (It all started with the disastrous 1980 SCOTUS ruling on Diamond v Chakrabarty. Petition your Congressman to revoke all patents on living things.)

"The nation that destroys its soil destroys itself." FDR 1937

The Tin Foil Hat Song by the League of Lady Conspiracists

Offline Robinelli

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2012, 06:57:31 AM »
Thanks for the tips. I do have two small children and I want to keep from scaring them. I don't want to do anything that might make them feel threatened. I'm attempting to keep this situation from them for now.

The reason I think this person will be back is because I think it may have been our neighbor and I think he may have done this before. This is all conjecture and I'm in freak out mode so maybe this is paranoid- feel free to say so. So when we moved into the house (it was a bank owned foreclosure we didn't meet the past owners) there were wooden bars in both sliding windows, the French patio doors had been nailed shut so only one door could open, special reinforced windows were installed, motion lights everywhere, but strangest of all were a pair of wooden shutters nailed on the inside of the kids bedroom! We couldn't figure that one out. This is a safe neighborhood and the security seemed out of place, especially when they already had an alarm system. I wondered if they had had a break in. Well, the security lights were messed up when we moved in and my husband can't fix them, the wiring is majorly messed up in this house. I have a feeling the alarm system cannot be turned on to function for the same reason. Anyway, so a few times now I've been sure the doors were locked and interior doors closed, etc, and woke up to find a closet door open or front door unlocked. I questioned myself knowing full well I am anal about locking the house and always double check everything but I dismissed it thinking no way could someone pick a deadbolt. Well last night I woke my husband on the couch and walked over to the front door and locked it and we both went to bed. No one got up last night. This mornig I woke and it was unlocked. I am 110% sure it was locked and I remember locking it. There is no explanation other than someone picking it. Thinking back about all of the bars in the windows and doors nailed shut, I am thinking the previous owners had a few problems like this of their own. My neighbor has a few screws loose and I wouldn't put it past him. My main concerns are obviously my kid's safety and mine and my husband's. I am not going to be able to sleep until we move. But until then I need extra security!

I forgot to mention,A while back my husband got the back security light to work for a short time and we left it on at night. Our crazy neighbor approached me one day out of the blue and said "do you know why your back light comes on at 3am? You have a possum on your back deck". I was wondering how he could see our back deck that well from his house and why he was looking at it at 3am. Looking back he may have been on the deck messing with the locks... Or he may have been the one to mess up the security light...
« Last Edit: October 07, 2012, 07:17:52 AM by Robinelli »
“The secret to staying young is to live honestly, eat slowly, and lie about your age.”

- Lucille Ball

EOTS

« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2012, 07:21:13 AM »
I have a few thoughts.

1. Did you have your locks rekeyed when you moved in? If you didn't do it now. Pay a locksmith, or go to HomeDepot and buy new locks and replace them yourself. With a screwdriver, you can do this. I have -- I'm not so good with the "handy" stuff, but the directions that come with the locks are clear.

2. Install a deadbolt that does not have a key hole on the outside of the door. I'm not sure how else to describe this; it's a regular deadbolt that doesn't show at all externally. You can only open it from inside, usually by flipping a lever. We don't have that here (more about our situation later), but our rental property has them on all exterior doors. It's required here by code on rental properties, but it's a good option -- no more lock picking. This requires a hole saw and a way to make the place in the jamb where the bolt goes (see, I told you I'm not handy, I don't even know what that hole is called). My DH has installed these; if he wasn't around, I'd find the money to pay for this.

Does you door have (a) sidelight(s)? Because in that case, I wouldn't bother with a lock that has a flip lever on the interior. Too easy to quietly break the glass and open it that way.

3. On that note, think about your windows. If whoever it is is determined to get in, if the lock picking is thwarted, may get frustrated and try a window. It sounds silly, but make sure they're locked. The wooden bars in the sliding doors is actually a very good measure -- it's kind of sad how easy they are to unlock. I remember living somewhere with them, keys locked in the house, and they neighbor kid (really, a kid, younger than 12), said No problem, I'll get you in. And he did  :-\ Lovely.

Make sure coming in a window is going to be clearly and visibly awkward and difficult. Make whoever it is want to make another choice -- giving up, someone else's house, whatever. A lot of thoughtfully designed homes with lovely sitting spaces and window views....make it easier for a burglar to get in or hide. If I have a shrub by a window, you can rest assured, it won't be a good hiding place, it won't support your weight, AND you'll get good and scratched up if you try to get in that way.

I've seen references on the forum to window film and reinforced door jambs, so I won't get into that, and I'm not sure you even need to go that far. I'd start with assessing what I have above.

Offline NWBowhunter

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Got Elk!
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2012, 07:32:04 AM »
I would suggest investing in a trail cam that can take pictures in the dark without flash, You'll have evidence quickly of what is going on. If it's the neighbor restraining order is called for the next day.

Mers radio sounds like the an option that may fit your need to be warned. Of course if you don't already have one a shotgun for home defense.
I'm prepared to be wrong are you?

Offline Bob Spelled Backwards

• Survivor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2012, 07:59:08 AM »
All great suggestions above.
Also ,  since all the things you mentioned like the shutters in the kids room seem so out of place for the neighborhood, it would be wise in my opinion to get some intel on the history of the place.   Get friendly with your less creepy neighbors and get all the info you can get about who lived there before and what they were like and how well they took care of the place, where they moved to, etc.  don't call out the suspected neighbor to anyone until you know how others feel about him, they could be friends never know.  It shouldn't be too hard to find the old homeowners using tax records if you really want to ask them anything about the house or neighborhood.

Lastly, is there any chance one of you could be sleepwalking?

Offline metatron

• Prepper
  • English guy
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2012, 08:00:41 AM »
Replace the cylinder in your door with a pick resistant 6-pin model. Think about buying European locks, they are slimmer so they require a slimmer pick set, which people in the US are unlikely to have.
“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy sh*t…what a ride!’” ~Hunter S. Thompson

Offline Robinelli

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2012, 08:07:45 AM »
Lastly, is there any chance one of you could be sleepwalking?

My husband apparently thinks this is the case. He is refusing to change the locks and thinks I'm being paranoid about the whole thing. I'm about to pull my hair out. He and I are opposites. I care about security and he lives in la la land.

- Lucille Ball

Offline Oil Lady

• Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2012, 08:11:48 AM »
Not trying to make light of your situation, but I have to say this part of your quote right here is an awesome setup for the first 5 minutes of a movie plot.

So when we moved into the house (it was a bank owned foreclosure we didn't meet the past owners) there were wooden bars in both sliding windows, the French patio doors had been nailed shut so only one door could open, special reinforced windows were installed, motion lights everywhere, but strangest of all were a pair of wooden shutters nailed on the inside of the kids bedroom! We couldn't figure that one out. This is a safe neighborhood and the security seemed out of place, especially when they already had an alarm system. I wondered if they had had a break in. Well, the security lights were messed up when we moved in and my husband can't fix them, the wiring is majorly messed up in this house. I have a feeling the alarm system cannot be turned on to function for the same reason.
"This is the first scenario I've seen where I question the survivability of mankind." -- self-made billionaire Richard Rainwater in his business analysis of Peak Oil, "The Rainwater Prophecy," Fortune magazine, Dec 26, 2005

"This is an emergency far worse than World War I and World War II put together." -- CEO of Virgin Airlines, Sir Richard Branson on Peak Oil in CNN's investigative report "We Were Warned: Out of Gas" June 2007/May 2008 03:05

"We've got provisions and lots of beer. The key word is survival on the new frontier." --Steely Dan 1983

"... it doesn’t really matter who is removing your civil liberties, whether it is being done by a democratic government, a kleptocracy, a dictatorship or even the green police. When your civil rights are gone, they’re gone, and you really are in trouble, no matter how good the cause." --UK journalist Anthony Harrington, "Peak Oil and Collapse Scenarios," QFinance, September, 2011

No food shall be grown that Monsanto does not own. (It all started with the disastrous 1980 SCOTUS ruling on Diamond v Chakrabarty. Petition your Congressman to revoke all patents on living things.)

Offline fritz_monroe

• The Defenestrator
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
    • The Homestead Fritz
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2012, 08:13:18 AM »
My son used to sleepwalk.  We installed a door lock device up high on the door where he could not reach to unlock without climbing on something.

We installed one of these.  There's no evidence that it is installed on the outside.  And if the door is opened with this locked, there's a very loud thump of the door causing the pin to hit the loop.  I could hear this through the entire house by it transmitting through the door frame.

F_M
Check out my blogs at The Homestead Fritz and Camping With Fritz

Offline Robinelli

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2012, 09:05:26 AM »
Not trying to make light of your situation, but I have to say this part of your quote right here is an awesome setup for the first 5 minutes of a movie plot.
It's okay. LOL, yes you're right. I don't know what is up with the wiring in this house. There is a new breaker box which we questioned but the house passed inspections so we didn't worry about it. However, one of the indoor lights by the front door was set up as a motion light and it randomly goes on and off if we leave the switch flipped on. It does NOT come on when we walk under it. It DOES turn on for no reason. We just keep the switch flipped off. That's the same issue with the outdoor security lights. Whenever I use any appliances, the lights dim. I've had it with this house. We're definitely moving ASAP. Especially now.

- Lucille Ball

Offline Robinelli

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2012, 09:07:02 AM »
My son used to sleepwalk.  We installed a door lock device up high on the door where he could not reach to unlock without climbing on something.

We installed one of these.  There's no evidence that it is installed on the outside.  And if the door is opened with this locked, there's a very loud thump of the door causing the pin to hit the loop.  I could hear this through the entire house by it transmitting through the door frame.

I love these, we had them in our old house because my son when he was a toddler was an escape artist! We can't do it here though because one set of doors are metal french doors and I can't put it on that door. I guess I could install it on the front door though... But I can't secure the ones in back.

- Lucille Ball

Offline Robinelli

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2012, 09:41:24 AM »
I'm thinking about getting this
http://www.amazon.com/Mace-80355-Wireless-Security-System/dp/B000WKW682/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

Unless anyone can point me to a better one. Basically I'm looking for anything that will alert me.  I can't do a wired system in this house (for reasons already mentioned). So I need a wireless system. I'm also interested in this http://www.amazon.com/GE-50246-Smart-Home-Alarm/dp/B0000YNR4M/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1349615427&sr=8-3&keywords=home+security

If anyone can recommend something that isn't monitored (no monthly fees) and isn't wired, please let me know. Thanks!

- Lucille Ball

Offline LvsChant

• Resident Master Mudder
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2012, 10:13:32 AM »
Sounds very creepy, Rob. I can't see this being your own mistakes or sleepwalking. You never had the problem at your former home, right? I like the chair under the door option for short term... something at least to give you some warning if someone tries the door... some way to get footprints outside? ISTM you need to convince your husband that there is an issue and give yourself early warning in case of an intruder... How about hanging jingle bells on the doors? Pretty innocuous... even entertaining for the kids. And... I'd put them on the kids' bedroom doors.

Offline Robinelli

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2012, 10:48:24 AM »
Sounds very creepy, Rob. I can't see this being your own mistakes or sleepwalking. You never had the problem at your former home, right? I like the chair under the door option for short term... something at least to give you some warning if someone tries the door... some way to get footprints outside? ISTM you need to convince your husband that there is an issue and give yourself early warning in case of an intruder... How about hanging jingle bells on the doors? Pretty innocuous... even entertaining for the kids. And... I'd put them on the kids' bedroom doors.
Nope, never had this problem before. I LOVE the jingle bells!!! I will do this today for temporary help. I will try the chair under the door also for now. I'm working on some other temporary quiz fixes as well. My husband said if someone came in they wouldn't just come in and walk out. But people are weird, I don't but that. The easy explanation is sleep walking but I'm not aware of any of us having that issue.

- Lucille Ball

Offline cheryl1

• Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #15 on: October 07, 2012, 10:56:51 AM »
I would really think about doing an "indoor camping" night with my kids (who are still young) until I got some serious locks or alarms installed. The sleepwalking thing reminded me of something called a FirstAlert door alarm. We used it briefly when we had this issue. One half sticks to the door frame, and the other on the door. Whenever the light laser between them is broken (i.e. the door is opened), it emits this God-awful, shrill, I wanna rip out my dental fillings siren.

http://www.1seenontvstore.com/first-alert-alarm.html

You can pick these up at Walmart, Home Depot, etc.
I've seen the village and I don't want it raising my children.

Offline Mastoo

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #16 on: October 07, 2012, 12:52:02 PM »
I'm thinking about getting this
http://www.amazon.com/Mace-80355-Wireless-Security-System/dp/B000WKW682/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

Unless anyone can point me to a better one. Basically I'm looking for anything that will alert me.  I can't do a wired system in this house (for reasons already mentioned). So I need a wireless system. I'm also interested in this http://www.amazon.com/GE-50246-Smart-Home-Alarm/dp/B0000YNR4M/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1349615427&sr=8-3&keywords=home+security

If anyone can recommend something that isn't monitored (no monthly fees) and isn't wired, please let me know. Thanks!

I was going to suggest something like this.  We've used similar for years.  Our son has a severe disability and I use the system to alert me if he opens a door.  It can be set to make a dinging noise like some stores do, or it can be set to alarm mode.  Ours was cheap even 10 years ago, but works nice.  I never used the motion detector.  Way easy to install and configure.

Offline Morning Sunshine

• Geese Smuggling Moonbat
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • There are no mistakes, just Learning Experiences
« Reply #17 on: October 07, 2012, 02:31:09 PM »
My husband apparently thinks this is the case. He is refusing to change the locks and thinks I'm being paranoid about the whole thing. I'm about to pull my hair out. He and I are opposites. I care about security and he lives in la la land.

tell him, in a heart to heart, that you are worried about this.  say if it is a sleepwalker, then some of these measures will prevent that.  And you will feel better.  if it is a prowler, ew creepy.  I second a camera.  get evidence and nail the guy.
"Preparedness, when properly pursued, is a way of life, not a sudden, spectacular program" - Spencer W. Kimball
"Life isn't about trying to survive the storm; but about learning to dance in the rain" - unknown
Luck is what happens when Preparation meets Opportunity

Prepping makes even a hurricane just an inconvenience.

Offline Robinelli

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #18 on: October 07, 2012, 03:26:35 PM »
Success!!!
I ended up going to 4 different stores but I finally found an unmonitored wireless home security system complete with door alarms and motion detector. It's going to be a pain to set up by myself but it is going to help me sleep tonight so I've gotta get to work!

- Lucille Ball

Offline VeggieDog

• Survivor
« Reply #19 on: October 07, 2012, 03:41:33 PM »
Can you go to the Police Department (or whatever agency provides law enforcement for your area) and ask if there were any reports of burglary or break-ins at your address before you bought the property?  I'm pretty sure they would be able to tell you if there was.  Not sure if that's covered under some sort of privacy law or not.

Offline Robinelli

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #20 on: October 07, 2012, 05:55:14 PM »
Can you go to the Police Department (or whatever agency provides law enforcement for your area) and ask if there were any reports of burglary or break-ins at your address before you bought the property?  I'm pretty sure they would be able to tell you if there was.  Not sure if that's covered under some sort of privacy law or not.
I believe so and I intend to do just that!

- Lucille Ball

Offline Freebirde

• Survivalist Mentor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #21 on: October 07, 2012, 06:40:00 PM »
Is your local paper on-line and can you access past stories from their web site?    If so, enter your street and surrounding streets into their search page.

In Tennessee you can go to the state website and find registered sex offenders by location and registered felons by name.    In Georgia you can go to https://services.georgia.gov/gta/gafs/jsp/index.jsp to do a felon search .
With all the new and different mistakes out there waiting to be made, why keep repeating the same ones?

http://www.extension.org/

I just don't let preconceptions get in the way of doing what needs to be done.

Si hortum in bibliotheca habes, nihil deerit
If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.
Marcus Tullius Cicero

Offline pokeshell

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Against the assault of laughter nothing can stand.
« Reply #22 on: October 07, 2012, 06:41:32 PM »

This is what I was going to re comend. If you come in my house from any logical point, you will hit this as you come up the stairs, triggering the alarm, dogs, and "lockdown mode." We did this once last year around Christmas. Someone cam in the back sliding glass door, triggered a bell, that triggered the dogs, and the guns and police. We spooked them off.

We have these locks in the bedrooms also(get the kids, throw the locks, and shoot through the door). We live in a super safe neighborhood also, but my wife is an afraidycat.

Do you think they picked the locks or have a key? If they have a key then get new locks. If they picked it, no reason for new locks, unless you upgrade. If they can pick a lock, they can pick the new one.

Sorry for the italicised, the board is acting a little weird tonight, and I can not turn it off after "is."

PokeShell

[Rogue italics evicted by :admin:]
« Last Edit: October 07, 2012, 09:01:48 PM by Mr. Bill »

PokeShell

”I have a very strict gun control policy: if there’s a gun around, I want to be in control of it.”
~Clint Eastwood

Offline Oil Lady

• Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #23 on: October 07, 2012, 07:35:21 PM »
My brother uses a new fangled security app he had installed on his Android phone to surveil the house from work.

The way this security system works is he has a security camera system installed in his house with motion sensors on each camera. Any time one of the motion sensors gets tripped, it sends a live video feed right to his phone with real time videos he can view on his phone. So he will be at work, get a ring tone, check his phone, and the phone has just received a video feed. He checks the video feed and it is live footage from the camera at the front door. The camera's motion sensor got tripped when my brother's 17-year-old son entered the house after school. My brother can watch his son safely enter the house at the exact time he is entering, and can even make sure there are no unauthorized guests. My brother can go even further and he can hit an additional app on his phone to speak to his son over a loud speaker and say to him: "Hey, Connor, get on your homework, okay?" And then he sees the video feed of his son turning to look at the camera and nod his head.

There are three cameras in the house, all on motion sensors. One at the front door, one at the back door, and one in the livingroom with a view to the bottom of the staircase.  All of the cameras will send individual live feeds to my brother's phone if the motion sensors get tripped during his work day. He can turn it off on weekends or any other time when everyone is home, such as supper time. When everyone goes to bed at night, he reactivates the system on his phone and sleeps with the phone beside him so he can be alerted to possible intruders. All the video feeds are saved and stored with the security company which provides this service.

If my brother is at work and can see trouble at home via these cameras --such as someone breaks in while his son is there alone-- my brother can then hit the panic button on his phone's security camera app, and that alerts the security company to contact the police.

I do not have the name of this system. But you need either an Android (Smartphone) or an i-Phone to do this. 

« Last Edit: October 07, 2012, 07:46:01 PM by Oil Lady »

Offline USMCAllen

• Survivor
« Reply #24 on: October 10, 2012, 04:02:04 AM »
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0000YNR4M

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0002YUX8I

I highly recommend these two products. They are great for delaying that entry a little earlier, giving you that extra few seconds to react. Very crucial. No permanent mods or installation required.

Offline AverageDude

• Survivor
  • Trying to live that better life
« Reply #25 on: October 10, 2012, 07:54:07 AM »
Man that really sucks! How do you know the lock was picked? If you are looking for some advanced notification while you are home, you can barricade the doors and install a device similar to this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/First-Alert-Alarm-System-4-pk-Door-Window-Alarms-NEW-/221137028012?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item337ccb43ac

You may also want to look into installing a home security system. You can add door and window contacts which will trigger if a door or window is opened. You can also get your system monitored so you get called if something goes down while your not at home.

Offline AverageDude

• Survivor
  • Trying to live that better life
« Reply #26 on: October 10, 2012, 07:56:12 AM »
If you have neighbors close by stop by and tell them what happened. Tell them the hours you typically come and go (assuming you trust them) and ask them to keep an eye on your place. If they see people or cars around your place when you are typically out have them call you. All my neighbors are fantastic, and we all look out for each others houses.

Offline Burton

• Survivalist Mentor
  • NOVA Prepper
« Reply #27 on: October 10, 2012, 09:11:28 AM »
I once thought my stepfather, a retired police lt of 25 years, was a little crazy to have IR cameras and a key system in his house where you need to contact the patent office to get a duplicate but it really isn't hard to pick any standard locks.

I have another issue with my place, my alarm system is in the kitchen down stairs and I am up stairs. If the alarm goes of there is no guarantee I will hear it with my earplugs in when I sleep. I am looking into making my own alarm system which will send me text messages when different zones are breached. I figure my phone doubles as my alarm it can wake me up when someone trips any of the sensors.

Short term I would bar or chain the door. The suggested door stopper alarm might be good enough to scare them away. (wonder if they have a version where you can set it to barking dog?) Setting up a camera which only trips off when there is motion for $100 and it will email you those images might be a good idea too.

I am sure if someone is picking your door they have done it before and they might do it again. I would also look around the house to see if they placed anything in the house, think cameras here.

Offline NWPilgrim

• Dedicated Contributor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #28 on: October 10, 2012, 01:08:49 PM »
The wireless alarm system you got is a good step.  But that will only alert you when your house has been breached.  You also need to harden the entry points so it is less likely to happen.  Once someone is inside the house the threat level has escalated dramatically.

You need to have a heart to heart with your husband. The fact he does not take seriously the security of his family is disturbing.  THAT IS HIS PRIMARY JOB! Not the police, not the neighbors, not you. HIM!  Time to man up.

I will assure you it is NOT unusual for some people to just enter homes and wander around, maybe stealing oddball things or not.  Where I grew up  in the rural area we had a neighbor kid a couple of houses down who got a little thrill by seeing if he could sneak into neighborhood homes. For no reason other than to see if he could do it. No one caught him at it but occasionally he bragged about it and everyone was suspicious of a prowler.

Nowadays, with all the child kidnappings right out of bedrooms of NICE, SAFE homes (search the news) it is outrageous to me to hear a father will not take measures to protect his family and even obstruct his wife in doing so. Bad people ARE out there, and they prey on the unsuspecting.  You and hubby should read The Gift of Fear.  While from a liberal perspective, it does drives home the point to listen to your instinct of fear and act on prevention, avoidance.  You have a very healthy instinct of something being hinkie. DO NOT IGNORE YOUR INSTINCT.

The security left behind by previous owners should be a wake up call.  Likely your neighbor is prowling at night and getting his jollies messing with your family. SECURE THE HOME UNTIL PROVEN OTHERWISE!  If the prowler EVER touches one of your kids because hubby did nothing you will rip your heart out with regret.  It won't matter who was right or who was more optimistic of human nature.  Your job as both parents is to protect your kids.  You know that. Your husband has to realize he is a daddy and that is job #1 for daddies.

- You neighbor may well have a key from sneaking in before.  Any time you move into a new place the first thing you should do is have the exterior locks changed or upgraded.

- Add a lock device latch on the inside that cannot be picked or accessed from outside such as the one-sided deadbolt, the latch that was pictured, the stick under the doorknob, etc.  These are simple and give much more protection against the casual prowler.  A determined assault will break through them but a prowler neighbor will not.

- The game cam outside and inside is a great idea.  They can be kind of expensive, but try to have at least one outside (mounted high out of normal reach with no ladders or chairs around) at both front and rear of house.  These won't give you real time monitoring but will record photos with motion activation.  I think having his photo taken on your property would be the BIGGEST deterrent for a nosy neighbor.  He may get a thrill thinking he is sneaky but put him on record with a photo and thrill goes away.  Another alternative is to get a wireless web cam (Foscam, etc.) that you can monitor live from computer or smart phone.  We have one of these above our entry door to monitor solicitors, etc. but it can rotate around to also monitor driveway, garage door, etc.

- Finally you need a plan for what happens if your security is breached.  Anyone that gets through this simple level of protection is determined and therefore a major threat.  Immediately call 911 no questions asked or delay.  Hubby needs to stand between his kids and the threat.  Hopefully he chooses to be armed with flashlight and weapon, but whether he chooses to be equipped or not he still owes it to his family to stand between them and danger.  That stark responsibility may get him thinking he wants some better alarms, security etc. just reduce the chance he has to put himself in danger.

Sorry to rant about your husband but this is dereliction of duty at its most fundamental level for a husband and father.  I've never met a guy like that before and it is shocking.  You on the other hand have a very healthy sense of protection and need to act on it with our without your husband's consent.  I am all for consensus on most husband/wife things.  But my wife and i agree that when it comes to family security of any sort, whoever is the most concerned has the automatic right and responsibility to act on it.  Some times we need to act when we know it is the right thing to do even if our spouse disagrees.  That applies to prepping as well since it is for long term survival security.  Just like Heavy G describes in his posts and book.
There have always been times like this, and there will be again. Will we rise to the challenges or get run over?

Offline inconel710

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Not-so-New TSP Forum member
    • My 13Skills Blog
« Reply #29 on: October 10, 2012, 03:37:48 PM »
Your husband is screwed up.  If my wife had alarm bells going off like that, I'd be camping in the living room with shotgun in hand.

Here's hoping you catch the perp and stop this crap.
"You can have peace. Or you can have freedom. Don't ever count on having both at once." R.A.H.

My 13Skills Blog http://improvingeddie.wordpress.com/