Author Topic: Soar Heater ID and Advice?  (Read 471 times)

Offline wildfiddler

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
Soar Heater ID and Advice?
« on: October 10, 2012, 10:27:52 PM »
Can anyone help me with what system I have here (pictures at:      https://picasaweb.google.com/CarlsonForde4/SolarHeater?authkey=Gv1sRgCPeUhff3mpu8jQE#
A friend is selling her house and had this solar heater system removed since it never worked, but her electrician claims the first owners incorrectly self installed it and that the unit should work. It was installed probably 20-25 years ago, and has been sitting idle for the past 10 years. Basically the panels conducted hot water to the massive hot water heater, then the water was taken to a wall-mounted heater that was supposed to heat one large room.

My friend is asking $500.00 for all this and I'm wondering if this price is reasonable? She said the panels alone are worth $500-600. Honestly, this installation in my home seems daunting and expensive with a lot of unknowns, and I'm not sure where I can put the enormous hot-water heater. Also, for all this effort, apparently this system will only heat one room. Could this be hooked into my current hot water heater to serve dual functions? Is this worth pursuing? Thanks in advance.

Wildfiddler
Some men rob you with a six gun, others with a fountain pen. Six gun, please.

Offline Bowbender

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
Re: Soar Heater ID and Advice?
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2012, 04:59:52 AM »
Tried to look at pics. Bad link.
Try to talk to the electrician.
Half price comes to my mind, then may be
worth the daunting task of installation.
Definitely cheaper than building your own.
Good luck
Bowbender