Author Topic: My own grocery store?  (Read 1479 times)

Offline loyalty4eva

• Survivor
  • MSB
My own grocery store?
« on: October 14, 2012, 06:30:33 PM »
So since ive been listening to this podcast witch I guess would be about 2 years almost now, Ive been doing the jack method I call it. Every time me or my wife goes to the grocery store we get what we usally get but with cans or dry goods we get 1 more of that item. If we eat 1 can we get 2 if we eat two cans we get 3-4. Well things have been just building up and the other day I walked into were I keep everything and I was shocked it was amazing to see how much we have stored up with out just going out their and buying all this stuff in one shot like some do.

One big thing I would say to everyone that does this or plans on doing this is keep a eye on rotations. We missed roatating the tuna and it was over the date. I figured hey it is still ok popped it open to make something and it was super super mushy I probebly could have eaten it but I figured right now we are not hurting Ill just go out and buy newer stuff and keep a eye on dates more from now on.

Also some of our canned goods that we make had some mold in them (aka the jelly rubarb stuff we make for waffles and icecream, etc.) But that happened due to the poor process I did on that batch.

But yeah anyway sorry for the ramble, Has anyone else seen this happen with their food supplies noticed the grocery store effect as I call it?

Offline Vulcan

• Senior Survivalist
  • New TSP Forum member
    • My 13-In-13 Page
Re: My own grocery store?
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2012, 06:54:38 PM »
If you have a smartphone I reccomend the app "prep and pantry." You can scan the barcodes with the camera and put in how many you have/need and the expiration date on each. The app will also send you an alert once an expiration date is getting close.

Offline Cordovil

• Survivor
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2012, 05:29:13 PM »
Has anyone else seen this happen with their food supplies noticed the grocery store effect as I call it?

Yeah -- I bought one of those Shelf Reliance units (because of space constraints and because I know from past experience that I do a poor job keeping track of inventory and rotating the food preps) and it is indeed a good feeling to stand back and admire what has become effectively my own little grocery store growing over time.

Offline Roundabouts

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2012, 07:44:02 PM »
I found it helpful to write the date of purchase.  Month & year in the lower right hand corner.  I also put the price on things if I have the time.   That helps me keep track of stuff easy. 
There is no $50 job that I can't do without a $100 worth of new tools.

Offline chickchoc

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2012, 10:30:29 PM »
I have done the "Jack Method" along with simply taking advantage of good sales on various items.  For example, if canned green beans are on sale I might get one or two cases.  (We eat a lot of this.  Probably at least 2 - 3 times a week.)  It is indeed amazing to realize one has a year's supply of paper products, personal hygiene products, vegetables, spices, etc. while one is working on getting to that mark with other categories of preps. 

I'm now in the midst of reorganizing my stores for better inventory control.  I usually write the year of expiration on the lid of canned good with a permanent marker so it's easy to see.  This makes rotating stock a little more likely to work the way it's supposed to (ha, ha).

I also keep an Excel file on my computer of my supplies. 

Just my 2 cents' worth.

Offline Dontforgetyourlipgloss

• Prepper
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2012, 12:57:39 AM »
If you have a smartphone I reccomend the app "prep and pantry." You can scan the barcodes with the camera and put in how many you have/need and the expiration date on each. The app will also send you an alert once an expiration date is getting close.

Brilliant! Thankyou!

Offline Vulcan

• Senior Survivalist
  • New TSP Forum member
    • My 13-In-13 Page
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2012, 10:39:05 PM »

Offline NorIDhunter

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2012, 03:08:06 PM »
Has anyone else seen this happen with their food supplies noticed the grocery store effect as I call it?
It's a  8) feeling, isn't it?  ;D
We had family from Southern CA out here for a wedding last year and when they walked into the storage room, just about each of them said "Holy crap! You've got your own "store" in here!" We just smiled and siad "Yep!"  :)
It's a really nice feeling when we're "out" of something in the pantry, to just be able to walk down the hallway to "the store" and pick up another; especially on a cold , snowy night when we really don't feel like driving to the closest town market a couple miles away - IF they're even open & IF they'd have what we need.

Keep it up, you're doing good!
Got to keep on keepin on

Offline Cedar

• Autarkist Queen
  • Master Ant
  • Dont wait for the storm to pass, dance in the rain
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2012, 05:25:26 PM »

I have a bit of an issue with this. I contacted the people who make one of the aps that does this and they store the info elsewhere. I am not usually too tinfoil hatty, but this really bothered me.

Cedar
"Do not breathe simply to exist."

Offline NorIDhunter

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2012, 07:16:57 AM »
I have a bit of an issue with this. I contacted the people who make one of the aps that does this and they store the info elsewhere. I am not usually too tinfoil hatty, but this really bothered me. Cedar

This is one thing that bothers me about making the step "up" (?) to smartphones as well, with all this "stuff" going to Google, Apple et al and being stored in "the cloud". I was listening to part of the GB show the other day that was saying that "Siri" the iPhone app, is data mining, all your searches, all your e-mails, texts, calls, location tracking  etc in an effort to be more intelligent than the user, in effect to know the answer before you ask a question.
Maybe I'm ready for heavy duty Reynolds Wrap but that's just a little too spooky for me. 
Got to keep on keepin on