Author Topic: Repurposed inground swimming pools  (Read 3900 times)

Offline Mistro1

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
Repurposed inground swimming pools
« on: October 16, 2012, 09:47:17 PM »
I have a "dead" swimming pool in my backyard. The kids are grown and I don't want to pay for the power and chemicals to keep it up. And of course the liner is shot. The deep end holds water so I put some goldfish in to keep the mosquitos unfder control. 

Has any one adapted their pool to food production?  I am not interested in a high intensity aquaponics set up due to lack of time for daily management. Some options are to fill it in with dirt and maybe bury a plastic tank for a cistern.  Cover in a hoop house to provide summer shade and winter warmth?

Other clever and cheap ideas?

Offline Skunkeye

• Dedicated Contributor
Re: Repurposed inground swimming pools
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2012, 10:36:34 PM »
You might find some ideas in this thread:

http://thesurvivalpodcast.com/forum/index.php?topic=36385
"The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people; it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government - lest it come to dominate our lives and interests.” - Patrick Henry

Offline CharlesH

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Hope is a method...
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2012, 06:10:37 PM »
Thanks for the thread, Skunkeye.  One person there mentioned using it as a root cellar.  Is this feasible?  I have an inground pool and have wondered about the expense of converting it to a root/storm cellar.  I would expect the pool to need more bracing with the water no longer there to hold out the sides, and drainage would have to be addressed (drilling holes in the bottom seems like a good idea from the other thread).  Has anyone done this or looked into it?  Thanks.  Charles
Remember when you leave this earth, you take nothing that you have received – only what you have given: a heart enriched by honest service, love, sacrifice, and courage. - St. Francis of Assisi

Offline Terroir

• Survivor
  • Heirloom Seed Company Owner
    • Terroir Seeds | Underwood Gardens
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2012, 10:30:25 AM »
CharlesH and Mistro1, read this thread here for my original response to this exact same question - http://thesurvivalpodcast.com/forum/index.php?topic=37818.msg425912#msg425912. Then let me know if you have more questions and I'll give you what details I can. It can be done, done inexpensively, and done well. It makes a wonderful storage room that is almost always constant temperature.
Heirloom Seedsman

Truth Seeker   "The truth is not for all men, but only for those who seek it." - Ayn Rand

"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects." - Robert Heinlein

TSP Episode-974- Fall and Winter Gardening
TSP Episode-1280- Seed Saving vs Seed Quality
The Heirloom Seeds Blog

Offline CharlesH

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Hope is a method...
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2012, 02:50:45 PM »
Thanks for the info!  Looks doable.  The comments at that thread about the things popping out of the ground were new to me.  I'd have to ask a local contractor about mine to see if it would be susceptible to that.  Charles
Remember when you leave this earth, you take nothing that you have received – only what you have given: a heart enriched by honest service, love, sacrifice, and courage. - St. Francis of Assisi

Offline Terroir

• Survivor
  • Heirloom Seed Company Owner
    • Terroir Seeds | Underwood Gardens
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2012, 05:41:19 PM »
Depending on your location, I don't see the "popping out of the ground" as a real possibility, otherwise an unused, unfilled pool would have already started its "migration".  Same answer with the "will it collapse in on itself" question - if it was gonna, it woulda already started!
Heirloom Seedsman

Truth Seeker   "The truth is not for all men, but only for those who seek it." - Ayn Rand

"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects." - Robert Heinlein

TSP Episode-974- Fall and Winter Gardening
TSP Episode-1280- Seed Saving vs Seed Quality
The Heirloom Seeds Blog

Offline CharlesH

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Hope is a method...
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2012, 08:48:56 PM »
Mine is still full of water, but I agree I probably would have heard of other people having theirs collapse if it was going to happen.  I'd love to repurpose mine to a root/storm cellar since we live on a slab.

Offline ghostprepper

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2012, 02:25:55 PM »
I saw on TV a guy in Phoenix AZ  turned his pool into a greenhouse/ aquaponics system. It was really cool looking plus instead of gold fish he had talapia. Just another source of protein in a relatively small place

Offline Archetype

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2012, 12:16:29 AM »
That thread was mine with the conversion to a root cellar being a strong possibility.  I am currently n my way back home from Afghanistan finally after a year and a half, and im coming home and staying there to weather whatever storm is coming.  I have a lot of projects to accomplish, and look forward to documenting the processes, inherent issues, and points of interest with each one as I get around to them.

Offline Morning Sunshine

• Geese Smuggling Moonbat
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • There are no mistakes, just Learning Experiences
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2013, 11:49:54 AM »
Used swimming pools can be repurposed into a large variety of new uses.One way to repurpose an aluminum sided pool or a plastic children's pool is to use it to create a backyard pond for fish, plants and wildlife.Dig a hole that the pool will fit all the way into.

oh, I would like more info on this.  do you need to make a drain hole? any other sites you can point me to?
"Preparedness, when properly pursued, is a way of life, not a sudden, spectacular program" - Spencer W. Kimball
"Life isn't about trying to survive the storm; but about learning to dance in the rain" - unknown
Luck is what happens when Preparation meets Opportunity

Prepping makes even a hurricane just an inconvenience.