Author Topic: Mini-14, SU-16C/CA or SKS?  (Read 3376 times)

Offline chrisdfw

• Dedicated Contributor
Re: Mini-14, SU-16C/CA or SKS?
« Reply #30 on: November 27, 2012, 10:59:04 PM »
M1 Garand, I just throw it out since I think its overlooked, it fires a real rifle cartridge (not an intermediate like 7.62x39 or 5.56.

Just something i think people overlook.

Don't get me wrong, I love the intermediates too, but if you don't have a full power rifle, its a good choice. It looks somewhat less military, and even those military looks are wood/steel of the 1940 military and not the black plastic associated with todays modern tools.

Offline Canadian Prepper

• Survivalist Mentor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #31 on: November 28, 2012, 01:06:01 AM »
M1 Garand, I just throw it out since I think its overlooked, it fires a real rifle cartridge (not an intermediate like 7.62x39 or 5.56.

Just something i think people overlook.

Don't get me wrong, I love the intermediates too, but if you don't have a full power rifle, its a good choice. It looks somewhat less military, and even those military looks are wood/steel of the 1940 military and not the black plastic associated with todays modern tools.

Are decent Garands (I presume Rack Grade) readily available for under $600? I've got one and think its wonderful, but she's not cheap to feed, and since most of the .30/06 at the typical Walmart/Canadian Tire up here carries 180 grain bullets, which are really hard on the op-rod, reloading is probably the only practical option for shooting it regularly.

I think that a decent Garand and a basic reloading kit (i.e. Lee Anniversary Kit) might not be a bad option, has lots of historical appeal and could really encourage serious markmanship, especially when compared to the three guns listed by the original post. It could certainly double as a hunting rifle as well, and could easily be the catalyst for a collection of milsurps.

At least there's no lack of brass at most ranges that could be recycled for the rifle.

Offline flippydidit

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Keep 'em shooting!
« Reply #32 on: November 28, 2012, 01:23:07 AM »
I don't know about the availability in Canada, but in the U.S. you can get them for under $600 by using the CMP (Civilian Marksmanship Program).  You can almost always find someone selling surplus Garand ammo at a decent price on the gun show circuits.  They come in a sealed can of 192 rounds that are already on en-bloc clips.  For a little more the AP rounds are also available (harder to find).  Another thing about most Garands is that they only desire to eat the FMJ rounds.  The soft points can get hung up on the feed ramps.  Nothing that can be fixed with some gunsmithing, but purists will balk at the idea of modifying their piece of history.

Links:

M1 Garand
http://www.odcmp.com/Sales/m1garand.htm

Ammo
http://www.odcmp.com/Sales/ammo.htm

Hope this helps!
Nate
Military/civilian gunsmith/machinist
CEO and Founder of PermEscapes
PermEscapes
PermEscapes on Facebook

"One of these centuries, the brutes, private or public, who believe that they can rule their betters by force, will learn the lesson of what happens when brute force encounters mind and force."
— Ragnar Danneskjöld, from Atlas Shrugged (Ayn Rand)

Offline Cooter Brown

• Survivalist Mentor
    • The Regular Guy Review
« Reply #33 on: November 28, 2012, 04:58:29 AM »
I've got one and think its wonderful, but she's not cheap to feed, and since most of the .30/06 at the typical Walmart/Canadian Tire up here carries 180 grain bullets, which are really hard on the op-rod, reloading is probably the only practical option for shooting it regularly.

An adjustable gas system will allow you to shoot a variety of modern factory ammo.

http://www.mccannindustries.com/gasnut.htm

http://www.schustermfg.com/
“The best way to execute French cooking is to get good and loaded and whack the hell out of a chicken. Bon appétit. ”
                     -Julia Child

On the Web at:  The Regular Guy Review

Offline gundog

• Survivalist Mentor
  • It's the dog....not the gun.
« Reply #34 on: November 28, 2012, 06:59:29 AM »
I have all three of the guns you mentioned. Like most gun discussions both sides have things that are better than the other.

There is no wrong answer really. I would rank them in order of my preference as the SU-16 1st, the sks second and the mini-14 last.

The keltec has moved past most of the other rifles (carbine.....you know what I mean) for fun to shoot and fun to carry. It is accurate and a nice little package.

lastly I think you need to have a talk or two with the wife about so called black guns. Explain the functionality of guns is what's important and not the tactical look. Show her a picture of a stock 10-22.....and then one all tricked out and explain they are the same gun......one is not more dangerous than the other......maybe a little education will help.

Good luck......buying guns is always fun!
Anticipate the difficult by managing the easy.
Lao Tzu

Offline chrisdfw

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #35 on: November 28, 2012, 12:36:20 PM »
An adjustable gas system will allow you to shoot a variety of modern factory ammo.
http://www.mccannindustries.com/gasnut.htm
http://www.schustermfg.com/

Beat me to it

I don't know about the availability in Canada, but in the U.S. you can get them for under $600 by using the CMP (Civilian Marksmanship Program).  You can almost always find someone selling surplus Garand ammo at a decent price on the gun show circuits.  They come in a sealed can of 192 rounds that are already on en-bloc clips.  For a little more the AP rounds are also available (harder to find).  Another thing about most Garands is that they only desire to eat the FMJ rounds.  The soft points can get hung up on the feed ramps.  Nothing that can be fixed with some gunsmithing, but purists will balk at the idea of modifying their piece of history.

Links:

M1 Garand
http://www.odcmp.com/Sales/m1garand.htm

Ammo
http://www.odcmp.com/Sales/ammo.htm

Hope this helps!

And beat me to this as well.

Offline Canadian Prepper

• Survivalist Mentor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #36 on: November 29, 2012, 11:11:45 PM »
Based on what the other posters have said about the Garand, I think it's worth considering. I think they're a bit more expensive here (no CMP) but it's hit and miss to fine one right now.

Mine has shot 150 grain softpoints without any difficulty but I'd certainly suggest getting the adapter when you can for extra versatility.

If you got one or two of those cans with clips, and something like a Lee Hand Press for reloading hunting rounds, (with brass from the range if you wish), that might really be a great choice. If for some reason you decide that you don't like it, you'll always be able to get your money back selling it.

Offline bdhutier

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Defensor libertas
« Reply #37 on: November 30, 2012, 12:05:26 AM »
I think if you were looking for a longer reach, beyond 200m, I'd go cheaper.  I'd personally zero in on the Moisin-Nagant, it's sturdy, accurate, and the ammo's cheap as hell.  It's a bolt gun, but the distance rapidly narrows the fire rate advantage of a semi-auto.

That said, looking at the caliber options the OP asked about, it seems he's zeroed in on an intermediate round anyway. 
Tolerance is the virtue of the man with no convictions.
-- G. K. Chesterton

So go do some PT, then by all means take some ninja classes.
-- Chemsoldier