Author Topic: 3 gifts  (Read 1834 times)

Offline Ronnie53

• Prepper
3 gifts
« on: October 21, 2012, 06:30:05 PM »
A friend of mine had the right idea for her kids for Christmas.  They each got 3 gifts.  One was a whole outfit (shoe, jeans, t shirts, socks, etc), the second was a gift of their choice within a money amount.  The third was a surprise.  And they got good things to eat and small treats in their stockings.  The reason for three is because that is how many baby Jesus got and if they thought they deserved more than Him, then it was time for a long talk.  The kids had to think very hard about what they would like to have.  It wasn't just gimme gimme gimme.

My two daughters and three grandsons will be at my home for Christmas and we are going to draw names.  Even the two younger boys will draw a name (they are 11 & 8).  We are keeping gifts in the $25 range.  We will give 3 ideas so that we won't really know what we're going to get.  This will keep Christmas simple and sweet, like it should be.

I will be making lots of good things to eat, thanks to Chef Keith Snow!

Offline FrugalFannie

• Dedicated Contributor
Re: 3 gifts
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2012, 06:18:30 AM »
Great idea. While I do not hold religious beliefs we do 'celebrate christmas' with family. We never make a BIG deal of it. To me it's just a day that we take to slow down and spend it with family and loved ones. We do give gifts to whomever we feel moved to give to. There is no obligatory giving in our house. I try very hard to keep my son from becoming materialistic.

Offline bigbear

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2012, 12:25:14 PM »
We always give our children a book for Christmas.  We read so much as a family, it's just one more way to foster that passion (and avenue for self-sufficient, life long learning).

Offline Erigorn

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Finally joined MSB!!
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2012, 12:30:25 PM »
I like the idea of 3 and the rational you can give to children.

I also would prefer to give items that aren't the plastic pieces of junk that will break in a week.

Offline ttubravesrock

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Born to be an Alaskan
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2012, 09:12:56 PM »
An interesting twist could be that the gift within a certain price range could be replaced by an amount of silver in bar or coin form that is worth ___ X the price range.   

Offline callmesarah

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2012, 11:13:10 AM »
Me and my husband only get 3 gifts for each other (no kids yet). It works out quite nicely. Good idea to remember for the baby on the way soon!  ;D

Speaking of 3 gifts anyone have any good ideas for a gift basket they do for Christmas?
I have for the past few years and they seem to be quite a hit.

This is for parents, siblings, aunt/uncles, anyone really.

1 bottle of wine (trader joe's has some delicious wines for $3 a bottle)
Homemade pumpkin roll (about 3 inch wide)
Glass candle (big one from wallie world $5)
*I always end up throwing in homemade peppermint bark & cookies too)*

Not to bad but I need new ideas.... the pumpkin rolls are in high demand so I will make those regardless. Your idea's will be appreciated!
~Sarah

Offline fritz_monroe

• The Defenestrator
  • Administrator
  • Survival Veteran
    • The Homestead Fritz
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2012, 12:05:39 PM »
I'll admit it, we go overboard on Christmas gifts for the kids.  But unlike many of their friends, they do not receive whatever they ask for all through the rest of the year.

We always make sure their stocking contains a silver round.  If nothing else lasts, that will.