Author Topic: Hunting where there are hogs  (Read 4477 times)

Offline redrocket76

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
Hunting where there are hogs
« on: October 21, 2012, 07:59:29 PM »
In the past few years the hog population where I hunt has increased by a considerable amount.
I have had conversations with several of my friends about carrying a side arm while deer hunting.
They have said a person should for safety reasons such as, a sow with piglets.

Where I grew up hunting there were no hogs and the worst thing you would come across is a covey of quail that would scare the heck out of you.

My question is, is this a legitimate concern. Should I start packing while I'm bow hunting?

Thanks in advance.

Offline bdhutier

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Defensor libertas
Re: Hunting where there are hogs
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2012, 08:03:54 PM »
I would, if your state fish and game will allow it.  I personally know a couple guys who were charged by +100lb sows in the field while servicing feeders.

Offline TexDaddy

• TSP Goat Wrangling Geezer. He is EVIL also.
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Forum Veteran
  • I live in Texas. What country are you from?
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2012, 08:09:24 PM »
Not much around here more dangerous than a mama sow with her little piglets.

Offline Vulcan

• Senior Survivalist
    • My 13-In-13 Page
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2012, 08:18:32 PM »
I would say yes, and pick up some hog tags and harvest the thing!

Offline TexDaddy

• TSP Goat Wrangling Geezer. He is EVIL also.
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Forum Veteran
  • I live in Texas. What country are you from?
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2012, 08:21:59 PM »
Here they are considered a pest. No tag, license, permit, etc. required. No season either. Anytime is a good time. 'Course, the statewide population is estimated to be in excess of 1,500,000.

Offline monkeyboyf

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2012, 10:39:41 PM »
TXdaddy, They are all at my place,lol

Offline flippydidit

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Keep 'em shooting!
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2012, 11:14:05 PM »
Here they are considered a pest. No tag, license, permit, etc. required. No season either. Anytime is a good time. 'Course, the statewide population is estimated to be in excess of 1,500,000.

We have the same pig regulations here.  They say we have 500,000 in Florida, but I'd say the people who make that estimate must have learned math in public school.

Offline redrocket76

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2012, 07:37:31 PM »
Thanks for the input. The pig population continues to grow, and it doesn't really sound like a bad idea.

I may be in the market for a snub nose 357.

Offline DDJ

• Senior Survivalist
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2013, 10:55:44 AM »
Here in Ohio, where Hogs are starting to come in, we are allowed to carry concealed. We are, however, not allowed to take game with it. We cannot have 2 hunting tools at the same time.  So if you are bow hunting and take a hog with your CCW weapon you can be in trouble with the DNR.  The recommendation about checking with the game warden about it should be followed.  I would guess that there would not be an issue if you were attached by the hog. 

FYI the Ohio DNR has determined that hogs are invasive and the only restrictions on taking one is that during a powder (muzzle loader/gun season) assisted deer hunting season you cannot hunt hogs with anything you cannot hunt deer with.

Offline OutWestTX

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Long time prepper
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2013, 07:07:36 AM »
I came up on a couple of wild hogs when I was riding and they charged me and the horse.  It was amazing how fast those nasty things move.  If I were you, I would carry a sidearm if at all possible.

nelson96

« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2013, 05:06:45 PM »
I say why not, as long as it's legal in your State?  Here we can even pack a side arm concealed without a permit if you are going to or from hunting/fishing (as long as you make no stops between).

We don't have many hogs here and none at all where I typically hunt.  But I carry to protect from the two-legged beast and cougar.  If I get attacked from behind I'm not likely to be able to effectively use my rifle or bow, but I can use my sidearm even if I get taken to the ground.

Offline TexasGirl

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Simple country farm girl. Prepper? What's that?
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2013, 10:41:50 PM »
Yep.  Carry if you can. 

I've had two "close call" hog encounters.  The last was up here a couple of months ago when six 150 lb hogs stampeded by me, only15' feet away.  Luckily none of these were the sow, (they were her last year's litter, though).  I was carrying the wrong pistol (.22LR) and couldn't have done much to drop a hog.

I'm now carrying a .40 S&W.

~TG