Author Topic: Extra fuel tank  (Read 1259 times)

Offline FrugalFannie

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Our new diesel!
    • ITS Personal Training
Extra fuel tank
« on: October 24, 2012, 02:35:58 PM »
So you can see the truck we have recently purchased in my avatar right?

Was thinking about buying a transfer tank for it to hold extra fuel "just in case". But these things are a bit pricey. http://www.donovanequipment.com/catalog_c324416.html

What say y'all?

If ever there was an extended need....?

Offline flippydidit

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Keep 'em shooting!
Re: Extra fuel tank
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2012, 01:48:38 AM »
Are you going to only use it as a transfer tank, or are you going to plumb it into your truck as an auxiliary?  I ask, because I had to "fix" the one that came with the used truck I bought.  The guy had the 105 gallon tank plumbed to the 20 gallon primary.  Any time that you switched to the large tank it would push fuel out the fill neck.  Now it's set on a "Y" with an electric valve that switches between them.  Some people.  Sheesh.   :wtf:
Nate
Military/civilian gunsmith

"One of these centuries, the brutes, private or public, who believe that they can rule their betters by force, will learn the lesson of what happens when brute force encounters mind and force."
— Ragnar Danneskjöld, from Atlas Shrugged (Ayn Rand)

Offline ttubravesrock

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Born to be an Alaskan
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2012, 02:48:20 PM »
Keep an eye out on Craigslist. 

I live in AK where everything is a little bit more expensive, and I usually see a few truck tanks like the ones in the link you sent me for $100-$200.  Also, it wouldn't take a lot to buy a pump, hose and nozzle, and then have the tank made for you at a local steel place. 

I've been watching CL for a good deal for one for my truck that has two tanks.  I want something that can hold gasoline (for my truck) and heating fuel (for my house).

Offline FrugalFannie

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Our new diesel!
    • ITS Personal Training
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2012, 04:17:32 PM »
Are you going to only use it as a transfer tank, or are you going to plumb it into your truck as an auxiliary?  I ask, because I had to "fix" the one that came with the used truck I bought.  The guy had the 105 gallon tank plumbed to the 20 gallon primary.  Any time that you switched to the large tank it would push fuel out the fill neck.  Now it's set on a "Y" with an electric valve that switches between them.  Some people.  Sheesh.   :wtf:

using it as an auxiliary would be even more useful. I'll have to see what that would cost/entail.

Offline lhunt

• Prepper
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2012, 08:56:20 PM »
I'm interested in how this goes for you FF. I'm just looking to get the right diesel 4x4 but the reserve tank will need to be addressed on mine as well. Keep us updated! Thanks!

Permaculture Design Certified
Zone 5b

Offline FrugalFannie

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Our new diesel!
    • ITS Personal Training
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2012, 08:25:58 PM »
so this is WAAAAAY expensive. many hundreds of dollars. i think i will save my money, make my own biofuel and just buy some extra fuel containers to carry it in the bed of the truck.

Offline flippydidit

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Keep 'em shooting!
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2012, 09:20:32 PM »
Why is it many hundreds of dollars?   :o
Nate

"One of these centuries, the brutes, private or public, who believe that they can rule their betters by force, will learn the lesson of what happens when brute force encounters mind and force."

Offline FrugalFannie

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Our new diesel!
    • ITS Personal Training
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2012, 10:04:19 AM »
Why is it many hundreds of dollars?   :o

This is the cheapest one I found. These guys are very good. http://www.donovanequipment.com/catalog_c324416.html

Offline Texas Sawduster

• Survivor
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2012, 11:58:49 AM »
This is the cheapest one I found. These guys are very good. http://www.donovanequipment.com/catalog_c324416.html

Do you have a Tractor Supply near you?
They offer in the bed tanks.
I don't know the prices but you may find out on their website.
LOCK N LOAD !!!!

Offline flippydidit

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Keep 'em shooting!
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2012, 02:57:36 AM »
The pricing isn't a lot better, but maybe it's a little better for your needs.

http://www.tractorsupply.com/ProductCompareView?lbzipcode=&catalogId=&productId=41675&productId=29799&productId=29998
Nate

Offline kellgy

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #10 on: December 25, 2012, 11:07:51 PM »
I just keep 4 15 gal drums if needed. At 10 a pop, it is a great deal. That should get me @ 1,600 miles. I am making a siphon pump that can go from the drum to the fuel inlet when needed. Steve Harris covered this in his recent interview.

Offline lhunt

• Prepper
« Reply #11 on: December 26, 2012, 06:04:43 AM »
I've come to the conclusion that a diesel isn't necessary for me right now or the foreseeable future. I think honestly that a yota taco 4x4 will be just fine. But still want backup fuel - just in case.... :)

Permaculture Design Certified
Zone 5b