Author Topic: Hurricane Sandy (Merged Topic)  (Read 15031 times)

Offline GrizzlyAdams

• Prepper
  • Hiker
Re: Hurricane Sandy (Merged Topic)
« Reply #180 on: November 03, 2012, 03:34:43 PM »
Hi All,

Just thought I'd give you an update on Day #6 from Western NJ:

I spoke to the local fireman yesterday and he confirmed that generators were getting stolen.  On the radio, one guy had his generator chained up and since the thieves could not steal it, they just destroyed it.  Perfect example of "two is one, and one is none".

I live on a dead end, everyone knows when there is a strange car in our neighborhood.  Yesterday we saw pickup trucks driving real slow through the neighborhood and the drivers looking in each and every driveway.  I am guessing they were looking for generators.  Due to the difficulty in getting gas, most people are driving anywhere they don't have to because it is just too hard to get gas.

I already have the MURS IR system from murs-radio.com and it works great!  I ordered some more sensors as I want to put one close to my generator.

Well it will be getting dark in NJ shortly.  As Steve Harris would say "time to go silent, and go deep".

GA
"There is a huge amount of freedom that comes to you when you take nothing personally."~Don Miguel Ruiz

You are the master.  The mind is your servant.  This is the correct relationship.~Mooji

"We sit together, the mountain and me, until only the mountain remains."~ Li Po

Offline Alan Georges

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Wishin' every month of the year could be June.
« Reply #181 on: November 03, 2012, 05:04:49 PM »
I spoke to the local fireman yesterday and he confirmed that generators were getting stolen.  On the radio, one guy had his generator chained up and since the thieves could not steal it, they just destroyed it.
*umgh!!!!!*  Some damn people.

I already have the MURS IR system from murs-radio.com and it works great!  I ordered some more sensors as I want to put one close to my generator.

Well it will be getting dark in NJ shortly.  As Steve Harris would say "time to go silent, and go deep".
Great idea, IR guard on the generator.  Good luck with the vampires tonight.
Build it or buy it, start it up and try it, maybe even fry it.  Otherwise you'll never know if it works.

I swear, there are times it seems like "Baofeng" is Cantonese for "hot mess."

Offline endurance

• Dances With Newfies
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #182 on: November 03, 2012, 06:12:33 PM »
SEVEN backup generators failed?!?  Wow.
Probably a rocket scientist decided the best place for a back up generator would be in the basement.  When the basement flooded, they all were taken down in one fell swoop.
"There are things that you don't question when your home always smells like baking bread."  From The Hunger Games

“No nation could preserve its freedom in the midst of continual warfare.”   James Madison

Offline Frugal Upstate

• Survivalist Mentor
  • aka Jenn Fowler and Jenn @ Frugal Upstate ;)
    • Frugal Upstate
« Reply #183 on: November 03, 2012, 06:55:55 PM »
They do it by license plate number. If it ends in an odd number you fill up on odd numbered days. Even number on plate, even number days to fill up.

Well now, that makes sense :)
Check out my blog: Frugal Upstate 
Frugal-Sustainable-Prepared

Offline LibertyBelle

• Munches with goats...
  • Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #184 on: November 03, 2012, 08:04:25 PM »
They do it by license plate number. If it ends in an odd number you fill up on odd numbered days. Even number on plate, even number days to fill up.

So are there no "vanity" plates or plates that end in a letter vs a number there? 
"If you don't read the newspaper you are uninformed.  If you do read the newspaper you are misinformed."--Mark Twain

Offline Eriko

• Survivor
  • What one thing did you do today to prep?
« Reply #185 on: November 03, 2012, 08:20:15 PM »
Region 2, central nj. Power just came back on. Not sure exactly when as we were running some thermos (what is the plural of thermos? Thermi?) over to my MIL who has no power and an electric stove. We came home & the power was back on. Mayor says rest of town won't be repaired until after Wednesday!!!

There's a lot we did right and were ready for and a lot we could do better next time. Husband is now 100% on board with my preps. MIL is making a list of things she wants to have 'just in case'. This has been a tough experience for us, but so much worse for others. I am grateful for all I've learned here from Jack & this amazing community. I had plenty of opportunity to say "I told you so" and had to keep biting my tongue. Heavy G's Easter  bunny line worked great!  8)

Signing off to the sound of our heat kicking on.
Eriko!

Offline Oil Lady

• Lady oil lady oil la-dy hoo
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • My book needs more humor. My pen needs more salt.
« Reply #186 on: November 03, 2012, 08:27:29 PM »

New Jersey is pretty much the ONLY state in all 50 states which can resort to this throw-back to the old early-1970's system of odd/even plate numbers. The reason is that New Jersey is now the only state left in the Union (at least I'm PRETTY sure they are the last of the last) where laymen are not allowed to pump their own gas. ALL stations in NJ are "full serve" (or "mini-serve") because only an employee of any given station is allowed to touch the pump. You try to pump your own gas in NJ and you are committing a crime.

All other states have the option of "self-serv", so the license plate system can't work anywhere else.
"This is the first scenario I've seen where I question the survivability of mankind." -- self-made billionaire Richard Rainwater in his business analysis of Peak Oil, "The Rainwater Prophecy," Fortune magazine, Dec 26, 2005

"This is an emergency far worse than World War I and World War II put together." -- CEO of Virgin Airlines, Sir Richard Branson on Peak Oil in CNN's investigative report "We Were Warned: Out of Gas" June 2007/May 2008 03:05

"We've got provisions and lots of beer. The key word is survival on the new frontier." --Steely Dan 1983

"... it doesn’t really matter who is removing your civil liberties, whether it is being done by a democratic government, a kleptocracy, a dictatorship or even the green police. When your civil rights are gone, they’re gone, and you really are in trouble, no matter how good the cause." --UK journalist Anthony Harrington, "Peak Oil and Collapse Scenarios," QFinance, September, 2011

Our parents used to say, "Don't worry, the government will take care of it."
And now our kids say, "Don't worry, the government will take care of us."

No food shall be grown that Monsanto does not own. (It all started with the disastrous 1980 SCOTUS ruling on Diamond v Chakrabarty. Petition your Congressman to revoke all patents on living things.)

"The nation that destroys its soil destroys itself." FDR 1937

The Tin Foil Hat Song by the League of Lady Conspiracists

Offline Oil Lady

• Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #187 on: November 03, 2012, 08:38:51 PM »
So are there no "vanity" plates or plates that end in a letter vs a number there?

I'm not completely sure, but I would suspect they might have a numeric value assigned to each of the 26 letter of the alphabet. Like maybe .................... 

1 = 1 ODD
2 = 2 EVEN
3 = 3 ODD
4 = 4 EVEN
5 = 5 ODD
6 = 6 EVEN
7 = 7 ODD
8 = 8 EVEN
9 = 9 ODD
0 = 1 EVEN
A = "11" ODD 
B = "12" EVEN
C = "13" ODD
D = "14" EVEN
E = "15" ODD

etc ....

So the guys pumping the gas might have a small hand-held chart neatrby to refer to the system.

(Just a guess on my part, really.)
"This is the first scenario I've seen where I question the survivability of mankind." -- self-made billionaire Richard Rainwater in his business analysis of Peak Oil, "The Rainwater Prophecy," Fortune magazine, Dec 26, 2005

"This is an emergency far worse than World War I and World War II put together." -- CEO of Virgin Airlines, Sir Richard Branson on Peak Oil in CNN's investigative report "We Were Warned: Out of Gas" June 2007/May 2008 03:05

"We've got provisions and lots of beer. The key word is survival on the new frontier." --Steely Dan 1983

"... it doesn’t really matter who is removing your civil liberties, whether it is being done by a democratic government, a kleptocracy, a dictatorship or even the green police. When your civil rights are gone, they’re gone, and you really are in trouble, no matter how good the cause." --UK journalist Anthony Harrington, "Peak Oil and Collapse Scenarios," QFinance, September, 2011

No food shall be grown that Monsanto does not own. (It all started with the disastrous 1980 SCOTUS ruling on Diamond v Chakrabarty. Petition your Congressman to revoke all patents on living things.)

Offline LICountryBoy

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #188 on: November 03, 2012, 09:00:34 PM »
They go by the last number in the plate so if its YU87J9L the number would be keyed on 9.
I haven't heard how they are handling vanity plates. Probably think if you have one you don't need gas.

Here on the north shore of LI we haven't had power since Monday so no heat and just got internet back.
Back up systems are a go. Inverters and Generator. Mostly inverters.
A have started to learn not to run the generator 24/7 since it wastes so much gas.
I have used maybe 8 gallons since Tuesday.

Reports of people trying to siphon gas. I have my security lights hooked up to an inverter and a spare battery in the garage.
A little bit of rewiring and I was good to go. At least if anyone approaches the vehicles they will come on and i am sure they would not be expecting it.

I live on a cu-de-sac and it is dark and my house is set back so i am keeping an eye out just in case.

Marinade, helping you enjoy your steak, if the steak gets tough or even If it don't. :)

"Go forth and be manly!" - T.Ghee

So I have power and underwear.

Offline TexDaddy

• TSP Goat Wrangling Geezer. He is EVIL also.
  • Global Moderator
  • Ultimate Survival Veteran
  • I live in Texas. What country are you from?
« Reply #189 on: November 03, 2012, 09:21:13 PM »
...All other states have the option of "self-serv", so the license plate system can't work anywhere else.
Actually, here, "self-serv" is not exactly an option. Option implies a "choice." I haven't seen a full service station in many years now.
"I went down Virginia, seekin' shelter from the storm.
Caught up in the fable, I watched the tower grow.
Five year plans and new deals, wrapped in golden chains.
And I wonder, still I wonder who'll stop the rain."

...A quote from the book 'Mataroda' comes to mind:
'To do more than your best is impossible, to do less is unthinkable'
WWCD = What would Cedar do?

Offline Kayzonara

• Senior Survivalist
  • No power in the 'verse can stop me being cheerful
« Reply #190 on: November 03, 2012, 10:14:40 PM »
Isn't that a GREAT feeling?  not stressing over something that may or may not happen, but is out of your control either way.

I repeat - I feel calm reading about you guys' preps and how you rode out the storm with a warm drink and family around and calm in the midst of the storm (of the century!)  You guys rock, and are an inspiration to me (whose greatest natural calamity is an earthquake and will not give me 4 days warning!)

It's the best.   Stress is so bad for the nerves.
Sometimes a thing gets broke can't be fixed.  That's why you need extras.

Offline JerseyVince

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #191 on: November 03, 2012, 10:58:42 PM »
Vanity plates are considered "Odd" for odd-even plates also the State has waived the restriction for fire-police-ems-doctors-nurses etc that show a professional license and photo id
The odd-even of our plates is determined by the last digit of the plate

no power here for 5 days, the tristate has taken a serious pounding. Many homes damaged by trees and winds with many oblivious souls expecting video game instant life as usual repairs.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2012, 11:05:26 PM by JerseyVince »

Offline monkeyboyf

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #192 on: November 03, 2012, 11:13:44 PM »
Just wondering about you, Vince, then saw your post.  Glad you weathered the storm.  Stay safe.
We will always be prepared, so we may always be free.
 Ronald Reagan
uh, I am a female

Offline mikem

• Survivalist Mentor
  • ¿por qué so serious?
« Reply #193 on: November 03, 2012, 11:19:10 PM »
I've talked to 5 friends now in NYC about the state of things. It's interesting, they all have said while the power is off and gas is gone, New Yorkers have been far more polite and considerate (especially while commuting) in general than anytime when the systems are running.

Offline LibertyBelle

• Munches with goats...
  • Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #194 on: November 03, 2012, 11:29:41 PM »
Actually, here, "self-serv" is not exactly an option. Option implies a "choice." I haven't seen a full service station in many years now.

There is only one in our town that will still pump gas for you. But that's all they do. I remember back when the service station attendants would wash the windows while the gas was being pumped, and then ask if you wanted the fluids or tires checked (for the record, I'm not all that old..."back when" was when I was a child ;)).
"If you don't read the newspaper you are uninformed.  If you do read the newspaper you are misinformed."--Mark Twain

Offline GrizzlyAdams

• Prepper
  • Hiker
« Reply #195 on: November 04, 2012, 04:00:57 AM »
For any fellow New Jersians there are no gas lines in Allentown,PA. 

GA
"There is a huge amount of freedom that comes to you when you take nothing personally."~Don Miguel Ruiz

You are the master.  The mind is your servant.  This is the correct relationship.~Mooji

Offline flippydidit

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Keep 'em shooting!
« Reply #196 on: November 04, 2012, 04:20:22 AM »
OilLady,

Unless something changed since I was there last, Oregon is another state where you aren't allowed to pump your own gas.

I wish the best for all the people riding out the last of Sandy.  Our thoughts are with you.  If it makes you feel any better, here in Afghanistan we run off generator power every day.  Where I'm at is at about 7,000+/- feet above sea level, so this winter is going to be "fun".  Haven't seen a wood burning stove anywhere, and the only wood around here are the crates and pallets from shipping.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2012, 08:10:47 PM by TexDaddy »
Nate
Military/civilian gunsmith/machinist
CEO and Founder of PermEscapes
PermEscapes
PermEscapes on Facebook

"One of these centuries, the brutes, private or public, who believe that they can rule their betters by force, will learn the lesson of what happens when brute force encounters mind and force."
— Ragnar Danneskjöld, from Atlas Shrugged (Ayn Rand)

Offline GrizzlyAdams

• Prepper
  • Hiker
« Reply #197 on: November 04, 2012, 09:37:27 AM »
Hi All,

Update #7 from Western NJ:

From my perspective the gas rationing program appears to be working.  The lines are much shorter than they have been.  This, in combination with about 40% to 50% of the people restored seems to be helping.  I was able to get gas this morning and the wait was only 5 minutes. 

Here are some other observations that you might find useful if you are ever in a similar situation, or for barter with neighbors:

- Many of sporting good stores in my area are sold out of the propane hot shower heaters and other propane cooking stoves, as well as the 1 pound small propane tanks.

- Gas cans are still difficult to get in the NJ area.

- Many people are camping out during the day at coffee shops and book stores for charging devices and internet.

- The next biggest line in NJ (after gas) was for coffee.  On day after the storm (day #2) and day #3 there were very long lines specifically for coffee.   The coffee lines even made the radio news.

From what I am seeing, coffee would make a better barter item than bullets based on this specific storm and situation.

GA

Offline JerseyVince

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #198 on: November 04, 2012, 04:05:17 PM »
Just wondering about you, Vince, then saw your post.  Glad you weathered the storm.  Stay safe.

Thank you for asking :) no serious damage here, power is back on, I'm just fixing and cleaning up the mess outside. luckily I now have a core of 5 other neighbors that all stuck together during the storm getting/sharing supplies

Offline chezrad

• Survivor
    • Brush n Soap n Blade
« Reply #199 on: November 04, 2012, 05:33:37 PM »
Great job keeping like minded neighbors together during this event. I have been learning from these posts. Thanks for sharing.

Offline NWPilgrim

• Dedicated Contributor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #200 on: November 05, 2012, 11:24:45 AM »
OilLady,

Unless something changed since I was there last, Oregon is another state where you aren't allowed to pump your own gas.

Still the case.  The cover excuse is it is "safer" for a teenager to pump my gas than for me to do it myself.  They all look highly trained, haha!  The real reason is make-work.  Typical of the govt to make work at minimum wage. BTW, we are having an incredibly dry and mild autumn here in western Oregon.  Usually means the jet stream is bulging north of us and sinking over the midwest or eastern seaboard and giving them much colder and wetter arctic flows.

I remember those mid-70s and alternate day gas station fills.  That is a far cry better form of rationing (taking turns) than the price controls Nixon imposed which of course resulted in shortages and thus the alternate days.

Notice in NJ the first thing jettisoned was the fuel import controls?  I thought it was unconstitutional for states to impose interstate tariffs or restrictions. 
There have always been times like this, and there will be again. Will we rise to the challenges or get run over?

Offline lochaber

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #201 on: November 05, 2012, 11:34:19 AM »
So I guess here is my report. I live close to Raritan River bay and we've seen 13-15 storm surge, in addition to huricane+ winds. In my town about four to five streets deep into the town the water was in people's living rooms and right along the river to the second story. People had to be pulled out through roofs and second story windows. Houses not 350 yards from mine had people wake up to discover they had water up to their chest and had to run out at midnight and fight the current to save their lives. I can see those houses from my porch, but being 15ft higher I had no water problems what so ever.

For the last week the houses on those flooded streets have been pulling out all their possessions and removing the inside walls from their homes and pilling them up on their front lawns to be picked up.

Like everyone else we lost electricity, and my house only got power last night after 6 days. Others in town may be a week more, because some genius at the power company decided that those substations along the river don't need to powered off when historic tides are predicted, and they caught fire and are a total loss, they are being rebuilt from scratch as we speak.

My cheap Champion 4000 generator has been well .. a champion. It has fed power not only to my house but the houses on either side of mine, keeping up refrigerators, lights, phone chargers, and to some degree heat. Most of the homes around me are older and have steam heat. Steam heating uses very little if any power but needs SOME to trigger on and off. In my case I had to have my electrician buddy rewire my furnace which was wired directly to the panel so I can plug it in. With the load we pulling from the smallish 3500 constant draw generator and the gas shortages, I was running my generator for about 3 hours, giving it a 3 hour break, and doing it again. At night I would turn it off around 9pm and let the residual heat and fridge cooling coast through the night.

All in all we got through it just fine, my house lost a couple of shingles, so I really can't complain, considering the devastation. Of course, food, water, etc where never an issue for us. Food preparation wasn't an issue as I have gas cooktops but I found out my stove being electronically controlled was out of use, I'll need to rewire it so I can run it from the generator.  My neighbors were remarkably unprepared. They had maybe 2 flashlights, and 6 batteries each.

Other friends, using electrical cooktops and forced air or circulating water heaters obviously head it worse. I've lent out my camping stoves, propane bottles (big and small), propane heaters, etc. as I didn't need them an they did.

Gasoline was in issue for most, but I filled both cars before the storm, the generator was topped off, and I had my 3 5gal cans filled. Turns out that 19gal of fuel would have been just enough, but I will now own more cans, it was a bit close here and there, although I managed to refill 2 of the cans along the way. Once back in stock I'm buying more cans, even if I store them empty. I don't feel comfortable storing more gasoline then 3 cans in my suburban garage, but I'll have at least 5 more empty ones for foreseen events such as this one. If I don't use it, I can always fill my cars afterwards.

So what have I learned that I need to do better? I need long matches to light the stove, normally I keep lighters and ferro rods, and they both suck for the job. I need more fuel cans. I need a bigger generator and way to hook it up directly to the house. I need more 100ft extension cords, the 5-6 ones I have are high quality but 50ft.  I need to assume everyone around me will be even less prepared then I previously thought, and that is saying something. I need more LED lanterns, I've used my 18v tool set battery powered ones, but recharging them was a failure as the generator fried my recharger (but nothing else).  I need more paper bowls (not just plates) because doing dishes sucks. I need a lot of ziplock cheap food containers so when I give away hot food to people I don't have to worry about not getting back my good plastic containers.  I need a lot more Stabil/Pri-G/something, normally I have just enough around to stabilize my gas cans but as I went through a lot of gas cans, I liked to have them all stabilized just in case the power came back on right now, and I ran out. Digital antenna's for my TV don't work for crap when you have aluminum siding, I need to figure out a better solution.

Oh, and eneloop batteries rock, but I knew that ahead of time.

Offline PrepperJim

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Prepping Means Resiliency and Redundancy
    • Winter Ant
« Reply #202 on: November 05, 2012, 12:34:20 PM »
So I guess here is my report.

Great after action report. I think we can all learn from Sandy.
Member Support Brigade since 3/19/2011
Blog: http://www.winterant.com

“Life, although it may only be an accumulation of anguish, is dear to me, and I will defend it.”

? Mary Shelley, Frankenstein

Offline NWPilgrim

• Dedicated Contributor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #203 on: November 05, 2012, 10:39:33 PM »
One of my sisters-in-law live in Manhattan with her SO.  They had some bottled water and "a" flashlight.  Maye even some batteries.  Also had some pasta and rice on hand. They lost power for 3-4 days and water, live on the 12th floor.  They are actually doing OK for living in the belly of the beast.

I hear on the news some incredulous comments about NYers ordering for take out, and basically looking to others for what they need.  This is EXACTLY how my SIL is.  She does not cook, they eat our get take out for meals.  When my wife last visited she said she doesn't even boil water for tea, she runs down to a ground floor shop and gets a free cup of hot water from them!  They are so dependent on some else having what they need. As long as things are normal it is all chummy, but if infrastructure breaks down then they are SOL.

One thing, if you live in the city then go all in and live in the financial district.  They had better police, soonest water and power restoration, etc.  Also they live near his office so they walked over there to get water, charge phones and get cleaned up.  It would be a LOT worse for them if they were in a less policed area and had were still out of power and water as many are.

I think we will be hearing less snickering when someone mentions our preps again at family gatherings in the future.
There have always been times like this, and there will be again. Will we rise to the challenges or get run over?

Offline Oil Lady

• Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #204 on: November 06, 2012, 09:33:23 AM »

I hear on the news some incredulous comments about NYers ordering for take out, and basically looking to others for what they need.

DiY or "Do it Yourself" is NOT what Manhattan is about!!  ;D

About 6 years ago in 2006 (before the financial meltdown of 2008) Home Depot was about to open their very first store in Manhattan. And their marketing guys were VERY preplexed over HOW to sell a DiY store to what has been called the most extreme "DifM" (Do it for Me) market in the whole United States.

Offline Frugal Upstate

• Survivalist Mentor
  • aka Jenn Fowler and Jenn @ Frugal Upstate ;)
    • Frugal Upstate
« Reply #205 on: November 06, 2012, 01:18:04 PM »
So I guess here is my report. . .

Thanks to you, and everyone else, for sharing their lessons learned.  Very informative reading.
Check out my blog: Frugal Upstate 
Frugal-Sustainable-Prepared

Offline Adam B.

• Dedicated Contributor
    • The Uncomfortable Truth
« Reply #206 on: November 06, 2012, 03:27:15 PM »
New Jersey is pretty much the ONLY state in all 50 states which can resort to this throw-back to the old early-1970's system of odd/even plate numbers. The reason is that New Jersey is now the only state left in the Union (at least I'm PRETTY sure they are the last of the last) where laymen are not allowed to pump their own gas.

I watched an episode of that show "Jersey Shore" because my daughter wouldn't give up the remote once and now I totally understand why people in New Jersey are not allowed to pump their own gas.

This is EXACTLY how my SIL is.  She does not cook, they eat our get take out for meals.  When my wife last visited she said she doesn't even boil water for tea, she runs down to a ground floor shop and gets a free cup of hot water from them!

HA! Sounds like Paris Hilton trying to figure out how to cook a Pop Tart!

One thing, if you live in the city then go all in and live in the financial district.

I don't know if "live where all the richest people live" is adequate survival advice (see above) but you are definitely going to get your power back first vs. the ghetto where the last person who made a payment on their electric bill was sometime last year.

I think we will be hearing less snickering when someone mentions our preps again at family gatherings in the future.

Nope, I hear the idiots around me already making fun of the stupid doomsday preppers once again — even after seeing how being prepared turns a "disaster" into a "vacation from having to go to work."

About 6 years ago in 2006 (before the financial meltdown of 2008) Home Depot was about to open their very first store in Manhattan. And their marketing guys were VERY preplexed over HOW to sell a DiY store to what has been called the most extreme "DifM" (Do it for Me) market in the whole United States.

LMFAO — You couldn't get those dingbats to assemble furniture from IKEA — let alone BUILD something from Home Depot! A Home Depot in Manhattan? I can not see anyone justifying paying $50 to park their truck in order to run in and get some building supplies!
Listen to my podcast — The Uncomfortable Truth
(shameless plug)
http://www.theuncomfortabletruth.com

Offline oktheniknow

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #207 on: November 09, 2012, 11:51:57 PM »
Thanks for all the updates. Good real life lessons there.

Saw this news item. If a real long-term emergency were to politicians would be the first to be run out of town...

How's this for charity?
http://now.msn.com/hard-to-swallow-bloomberg-bans-food-donations-to-homeless-shelters

Offline FrugalFannie

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Our new diesel!
    • ITS Personal Training
« Reply #208 on: November 10, 2012, 12:50:03 PM »
Thanks for all the updates. Good real life lessons there.

Saw this news item. If a real long-term emergency were to politicians would be the first to be run out of town...

How's this for charity?
http://now.msn.com/hard-to-swallow-bloomberg-bans-food-donations-to-homeless-shelters

That ban was instituted in March. Would be interesting to see if it is still in effect.

Offline Chemsoldier

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #209 on: November 11, 2012, 07:42:57 AM »
I heard a n NPR interview with a woman who was cooking everyday on her gas range, big pots of food and using contacts in OWS to hnad out meals to people.

So it isnt just individuals, charities and the government getting in on the relief action. Hippies are getting in on it too.  Good on em for that matter.
"You can always count on Americans to do the right thing, after they've tried everything else"
-Winston Churchill

"You think health care is expensive now? Wait until its free!"
-P.J. O'Rourke