Author Topic: Excellent Wool Socks - Made in USA!  (Read 2430 times)

Offline slingblade

• Senior Survivalist
  • I aim to kill you with it.
Excellent Wool Socks - Made in USA!
« on: October 25, 2012, 04:11:53 PM »

I know a lot of TSPers like to buy American.  Here's my experience with some socks...

I ran across these Rocky brand socks at ChinaMart last week.  Made in USA, 70% wool, $10 bucks - why not try them.  I don't own any good wool socks any way right?  Fast forward a couple of days and I'm hooked.  I want some more but they run a little large even though they claim size 8-12.  I'm a 10-10.5 and the heel would creep up the back of my ankle after a few hours.  A little research later, I found the parent company on the original package.  It was a  relatively small company called Nester Hosiery out of NC.  They have a few socks available on their site, but Rocky Georgia Socks seems to be their main online store with a lot of different socks available.  I placed an order online and received it 4 days later.  So far, I would give the socks a 10 out of 10.

Melodee

Re: Excellent Wool Socks - Made in USA!
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2012, 06:35:11 PM »
Thanks for the heads-up!  I'll have to get some of those - wool's the only thing that keeps my tootsies warm!!!

Offline lochaber

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2012, 06:40:28 AM »
It kills me because about 4 years ago Sam's was selling a sets of 3 pairs with the same stats (70/25/5) and made in the US. The sets were like $13-15 and I bought 4 sets. Those 12 pairs of socks have survived daily year around wear for the last 4 years which I NEVER got from any other socks and I can not for the life of me find the same type at any price. I may have to check the rockies and see if they are the same socks, at more then twice the price.

Offline nghtwlf

• Prepper
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2012, 04:34:42 AM »
I'm hooked on merino wool and smart wool socks.  $10 is a pretty good price for and the 4pack for $20 they have is a hell of a deal.  If you have never tried a pair because you don't like itchiness from normal wool socks you are seriously missing out.   

Offline flippydidit

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Keep 'em shooting!
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2012, 06:23:02 AM »
Nate
Military/civilian gunsmith/machinist
PermEscapes
PermEscapes on Facebook
Frontier Tactical
Frontier Tactical on Facebook

"One of these centuries, the brutes, private or public, who believe that they can rule their betters by force, will learn the lesson of what happens when brute force encounters mind and force."
— Ragnar Danneskjöld, from Atlas Shrugged (Ayn Rand)

Offline FreeLancer

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2012, 01:38:56 PM »
I'm hooked on merino wool and smart wool socks. 

I hardly ever wear anything else, anymore, even in the summer.
In times of change learners inherit the earth and the learned find themselves equipped for a world that no longer exists.   Eric Hoffer

Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.  Voltaire

Comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

Offline lettuceman

• Survivor
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2012, 03:48:53 PM »
Fox River is another US company that manufactures socks.

Offline joeinwv

• The Bee Whisperer
  • Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2012, 08:40:27 PM »
lochbear - my sams has those in stock seasonally, I have 2 sets.

Offline lochaber

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2012, 10:30:11 AM »
lochbear - my sams has those in stock seasonally, I have 2 sets.

If you mean the smartwool look alikes, yes, but that is not the ones I was talking about. If they have the one I'm talking about (they came in 3 packs of black/brown/tan) I'm buying a plane ticket or filling up the car and driving your way.

Offline CoreyAwesome

• Prepper
  • Captain Awesome
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2012, 01:38:22 AM »
 I am terrible at explaining things, but these socks are made in Vermont, US, the wool is from out of country because Merino Wool isn't raised here. And they have a lifetime guarantee, I will paste it below. I found them because my bosses were meeting with the rep for our region and he gave us all a pair.

"Unconditional Lifetime Guarantee
Simply and without strings or conditions: if our all weather performance socks are not the most comfortable and durable socks you have ever worn, return them for another pair or your money back. No strings. No conditions. For life. When you are really serious about something you make it yourself."

http://darntough.com/

-Captain Awesome

Offline patrat

• Survivor
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2012, 11:50:15 AM »
I just started trying Point6 brand, you can get them for ~$10 at sierra trading post for factory seconds (color pattern woven funny or some other cosmetic thing).

Made in USA, by the people who founded (and sold) Smartwool.

So far so good, but only about 1 washing in. That beats my latest smartwool, which ripped on the 2nd wearing.

Offline The Morgan Hill Homesteading Project

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2012, 09:43:19 PM »
I am looking for wool knee high socks that are made of a light weight blend of material. Good looking out.
Doing the same thing over and over again expecting a different result is insanity.

Offline Crusher13

• Survivor
« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2012, 10:18:20 PM »
If you mean the smartwool look alikes, yes, but that is not the ones I was talking about. If they have the one I'm talking about (they came in 3 packs of black/brown/tan) I'm buying a plane ticket or filling up the car and driving your way.

Pretty sure I bought a pack tonight based on reading your post. 3 pair for $15 and change marked made in USA all over the display

Offline RPZ

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2012, 07:42:50 AM »
I am terrible at explaining things, but these socks are made in Vermont, US, the wool is from out of country because Merino Wool isn't raised here. And they have a lifetime guarantee, I will paste it below. I found them because my bosses were meeting with the rep for our region and he gave us all a pair.

"Unconditional Lifetime Guarantee
Simply and without strings or conditions: if our all weather performance socks are not the most comfortable and durable socks you have ever worn, return them for another pair or your money back. No strings. No conditions. For life. When you are really serious about something you make it yourself."

http://darntough.com/
I have to get some of these; appealing right off is their sizes. They have a nice "bandwidtrh" for a good fit no matter what your size as opposed to the ususal "one size fits all" approach.

Offline lochaber

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2012, 10:47:37 AM »
Pretty sure I bought a pack tonight based on reading your post. 3 pair for $15 and change marked made in USA all over the display

I envy you, for some reason they don't carry these around me anymore. Darn bastards!.

Offline Longknife

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #15 on: November 05, 2012, 09:14:04 PM »
I'm hooked on merino wool and smart wool socks.  $10 is a pretty good price for and the 4pack for $20 they have is a hell of a deal.  If you have never tried a pair because you don't like itchiness from normal wool socks you are seriously missing out.
After a few years in the infantry I decided to give my feet a treat and bought some merino wool socks from these guys:

http://www.wigwam.com/

I haven't looked back.  The issue socks we get are actually not too bad now (they were worse went I first enlisted) but unfortunately I've become addicted to Wigwams and not have boxes of unopned issued socks.  I've been rotating the same 5 or 6 pairs of them for the last 4 years, including in Afghanistan and many rigorous training exercises and they are still going strong.  Not too mention it's pretty well all I wear outside of work.  The same 5-6 pair almost continously for the last 4 years!

Granted they aren't all the merino models (I've found some others I liked) but they all perform awesome and, obviously, are well-made and durable.  It makes it worth the $11-$16 a pair I pay up here for them.

Offline MaddoginMass

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #16 on: December 04, 2012, 07:51:22 AM »
It appears there are two main different types of "Rocky" wool socks.  One has 70% wool (from the rockygeorgiasocks site) and the other is 17% wool.  I found the 17% wool ones on Amazon.  Something to check if you are buying. 

I'm about to buy some from their site.  FYI, spend $25+ and it is free shipping.

Offline slingblade

• Senior Survivalist
  • I aim to kill you with it.
« Reply #17 on: December 12, 2012, 04:12:46 PM »
They are running a BOGO deal on their multi color packs right now.