Author Topic: 13-In-13 Skills Girls only want boyfriends who have great skills.  (Read 6293 times)

Offline pokeshell

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Against the assault of laughter nothing can stand.
You know, like nunchuku skills, bow hunting skills, computer hacking skills... Girls only want boyfriends who have great skills. -NP

I think the "art of negotiation" should be one of the 13 in 13 skills. Besides Cedars list, is there a running list of skills?

Admins, feel free to move if I am posting in the wrong spot, but I could not find the topic using the search feature.

PokeShell

”I have a very strict gun control policy: if there’s a gun around, I want to be in control of it.”
~Clint Eastwood

Offline Nicodemus

• HooHa Man! AKA Docs Whipping Boy
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
  • Wake up and smell the cat food n your bank account
Re: 13-In-13 Skills Girls only want boyfriends who have great skills.
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2012, 09:41:09 AM »
There's a couple of different skill lists here on the TSPF such as primitive and the one you mentioned. Thus far, however, I think this is the first specifically aimed at the "13 in 13 Challenge".

As for section appropriateness, "13 in 13" was started by Jack on the show, so this thread is probably alright where it is.

I expect that there may be one dedicated thread for it in the future where TSPF members discuss what they're working on, but where it will go I'm not sure yet as it could potentially fit into a few areas here on the boards and not fully fit into any one section because of the broad scope.

Offline Hootie

• Written Word Wrangler
  • Dedicated Contributor
  • Just another day gardening in zone 5a.
    • Frozen Gardener
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2012, 01:31:07 PM »
Here are a few I am thinking about:
-1000 target practice with my first hand gun
-Hugulculter gardening
-Build my frist green house
-Log 100hrs of talking on my Ham radio
-1 match 1 fire skill
"Don't be afraid, just be informed"
"If you live your life around what your neighbors think, you'll do nothing except mow your lawn." -Steven Harris Ep726

Offline Frugal Upstate

• Survivalist Mentor
  • aka Jenn Fowler and Jenn @ Frugal Upstate ;)
    • Frugal Upstate
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2012, 05:50:52 PM »
Hmm, so should we all start our own 13 in 13 list post (kind of like folks do with their garden updates) that we can keep our updates on, or do a massive 13 post like the "what did you do today to prep" post?

Anyway--things I've thought of for this year:

How to use a pressure cooker (not canner--ie to be able to cook tough cuts of meat and cook meals quickly)
Knot tying
How to shoot the rifle's and shotguns in the family proficiently.
Master my digital camera
Learn to do better "product" photography for my blog
Winemaking
Make herbal Salves
Clothing alterations

There will be more I'm sure. . .
Check out my blog: Frugal Upstate 
Frugal-Sustainable-Prepared

Offline kevo

• Survivor
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2012, 10:57:48 PM »
Shade Tree Mechanic is on my list of 13 in 13. Already started with a tune-up on my 96 Chevy 1500 which included changing the plugs, plug wires, rotor, distributor cap and installing a new battery (old one dead).

Normally, I would have taken this to a mechanic. This is also the first time I've worked on my vehicle solo. I've usually had help from my brother but he left for deer season.

I've also got to replace the radiator very soon since it's got a leak at the top and is currently filled solely with water (no antifreeze) AND winter is quickly approaching.

Offline pokeshell

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2012, 07:21:56 AM »
Things I am thinking of:

• Making a passive solar heater. I have the glass and the OK from my wife, so this will start in 2012.
  • Skills for making gas or alcohol (in case I move to a country that allows it).  I already brew, so I just need to learn to distill. In this, I want to learn to convert cheap and normally garbage sugars to gas. I have lots of toys to try the gas on. I understand the science, so it is just a matter of doing it.
  • Grow something I sell. Right now I have a little under 2 acres over 3 locations I can grow on.
  • Gorilla gardening. I have access to many acres I can grow put plants on. It is in Wisconsin. I would like to try wild rice. I already can take what is grown by DNR legally. I want to expand this, and have every right to do so as long as it is the same species. it is actually encouraged. I have encouraged some mushrooms also. I plan to plant some other easy crops to see how they fair in the woods.
  • Hunting
  • Shooting shotgun
  • Getting in better shape. I am kinda on lock-down by the Dr. due to some recent re-injury of old injuries. I may need to alter diet if I can not get back to moving more.
  • Self defense training for family.
  • After election, I want to look for more like minded people in my community
  • Learn to reload ammo
PokeShell

PokeShell

”I have a very strict gun control policy: if there’s a gun around, I want to be in control of it.”
~Clint Eastwood

Offline BattleCatPrepper

• Prepper
  • exit the rat race ASAP!
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2012, 08:01:36 PM »
This list could alter a little bit once more people start posting their ideas, but here we go:

1   Reloading
2   Canning
3   Dehydrating
4   Primitive Fire Building
5   Gardening Basics
6   Emergency First Aid
7   Blade Sharpening
8   Wild Foraging
9   Navigation
10   Welding
11   Trapping
12   Hunting
13   Tactical Firearms Training

I have a basic knowledge of some of these and none of others, but my goal is to learn and put all skill to use in real world application throughout the year.
Every civilian a sentinel. Help your fellow man and form community.

Offline rikkrack

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Permaculture Entrepreneur
    • Wolf-Beach Farms
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2012, 12:51:12 PM »
Hmm, so should we all start our own 13 in 13 list post (kind of like folks do with their garden updates) that we can keep our updates on...

I vote for this. I have been waiting on a link on the main site, or a thread to start. Lots of things I would like to learn or get better at, but reading what others have posted makes me rethink some.

Mods could we have a thread like the "Show us your garden" but "You 13 skills in 2013" and maybe a main sticky that combines peoples different skills all in one list? Is a lot and I am not a mod so just a thought. See others progress is encouraging and that you may be in the same boat of learning curves or difficulties.
www.wolfbeachfarms.com

Co-Founder and Educator at www.midwestsustainable.org

Aquaponics/Permaculture Entrepreneur

"You have a moral obligation to screw the government every chance you can." G-pa Wolf

Online endurance

• Dances With Newfies
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2012, 03:37:37 PM »
I'd start with much more basic skills that a lot of folks don't have but everybody should:

Access the electrical panel, be able to turn off, on, and reset a circuit breaker
Be able to change a tire in any weather
Know how to sweat a copper pipe in a confined space without burning your house down
Be able to put on tire chains
Know how to make a budget
Know enough about household electricity to replace a light fixture, put in a dimmer switch, and mitigate aluminum wiring
Know how to do basic car maintenance (replace wiper blades, replace fuses, replace light bulbs, check oil, tranny fluid, brake fluid and coolant, etc.)
Know basic first aid and CPR
Know how to use a map and compass to orient and navigate
Know how to take care of every piece of clothing you own (sewing, cleaning, buttons, etc.)
Know how to remove a virus on your computer after it is infected
Know how to safely and properly handle a weapon (loading, unloading, holstering, drawing, aiming, safeties, etc.)
Know how to access outside resources when you need them and be willing to ask for help in a way that will actually bring it
"There are things that you don't question when your home always smells like baking bread."  From The Hunger Games

“No nation could preserve its freedom in the midst of continual warfare.”   James Madison

Offline pokeshell

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2012, 12:58:30 AM »
I'd start with much more basic skills that a lot of folks don't have but everybody should:

Access the electrical panel, be able to turn off, on, and reset a circuit breaker
Be able to change a tire in any weather
Know how to sweat a copper pipe in a confined space without burning your house down
Be able to put on tire chains
Know how to make a budget
Know enough about household electricity to replace a light fixture, put in a dimmer switch, and mitigate aluminum wiring
Know how to do basic car maintenance (replace wiper blades, replace fuses, replace light bulbs, check oil, tranny fluid, brake fluid and coolant, etc.)
Know basic first aid and CPR
Know how to use a map and compass to orient and navigate
Know how to take care of every piece of clothing you own (sewing, cleaning, buttons, etc.)
Know how to remove a virus on your computer after it is infected
Know how to safely and properly handle a weapon (loading, unloading, holstering, drawing, aiming, safeties, etc.)
Know how to access outside resources when you need them and be willing to ask for help in a way that will actually bring it

I like your ideas, but I think some basic stuff should be assumed like a tire and and circuit breaker. What if some super easy stuff, like the breaker be added to a list that is 1 out of the 13. I expect everyone on this board to fallow the instructions on how to reset or change a circuit breaker\fuse or change a tire that is demonstrated without words on modern cars. pop the trunk, and no matter what, you can read pictures.

Though, it does not say to drive a flat to safety in all my cars (but some go back to 1965). But in 99% of vehicles, it says how to change a tire in pictures. I looked on 5 different brands going back to 1992.

On the flip side, there are 13, so possibly we need a few easy ones? CPR cert will be hard with my schedule.

PokeShell

~Clint Eastwood

Offline LibertyBelle

• Munches with goats...
  • Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2012, 08:52:39 PM »
But in 99% of vehicles, it says how to change a tire in pictures. I looked on 5 different brands going back to 1992.

All of our trucks (we don't own a car) have been pre-owned and none have how-to pics that I know of. That being said, we make sure all of our kids know how to fill up the tank, change a tire, check/add/change fluids, and jump start a dead battery before they are taken to get their driving permit/license.  And they do a run-through periodically to make sure they don't forget. We started out doing this with our oldest DS (he's now 22 and a cop) and he's so knowledgeable with vehicles now that everyone from his friends to family to hubby's co-workers calls him whenever their vehicle is having problems. Granted, DH started letting DS "help" rebuild motors, change ball joints, etc., when DS was in his early teens, but then DS took that basic knowledge and just ran with it. And the kicker is, he says he absolutely hates messing with all the grease and getting dirty. 
"If you don't read the newspaper you are uninformed.  If you do read the newspaper you are misinformed."--Mark Twain

Offline PrepperJim

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Prepping Means Resiliency and Redundancy
    • Winter Ant
« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2012, 11:37:10 PM »
I think that 13-in-13 is a great program. To me, it is such a personal journey. Where I'm at is not necessarily where everyone else is. In this regard, skill building really depends upon the person. I'll make my list and no one else will share what I need to work on.

I tend to think in fundamentals: water, food, energy, security, medical, shelter, and finances. There are skills for all of them. I've got finances squared away. I've got water squared away. I've got my CPR and basic first aid squared away (or do I?). Security...hmmm I can shoot, but not very good, so Appleseed is on my list. I don't have an alternate shelter location...camping gear, evacuation plan..?

No doubt that I can come up with 13 skills I need to develop in 2013, but my path is my own. How can we generalize such a thing? 
Member Support Brigade since 3/19/2011
Blog: http://www.winterant.com

“Life, although it may only be an accumulation of anguish, is dear to me, and I will defend it.”

? Mary Shelley, Frankenstein

Offline gheidorn

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2012, 06:59:21 AM »
Some of the things I want to learn about or get better at include:
1. Steam engines
2. Canning my own food
3. Welding
4. Alternative energy
5. Getting better organized since I can't seem to find my list or some other things I have been working on.
But I am glad I found the podcast and the forum.

Offline Pukwudji

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2012, 09:31:42 AM »
My list.  This may change a little before the start of the new year.  I'm working to get my whole family doing this challenge.

•Beekeeping
•Canning
•Backyard edible plants
•Tactical firearms training (IDPA)
•Gorilla gardening
•furniture building
•cooking with long-term storable foods
•distilling alcohol as a fuel
•Develop bug-out plans for the family
•Implement a backup power system for emergency lighting and running critical systems (fridge/freezer, furnace) - (batteries, inverter and generator?)
•Making biodiesel (Make at least a sample size amount of biodiesel)
•Using a greenhouse (start with a small hoophouse to start next years garden)
•Permaculture Basics

Offline Adam B.

• Dedicated Contributor
    • The Uncomfortable Truth
« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2012, 10:24:22 AM »
If I can get plants to grow without dying I will consider that an accomplishment.
Listen to my podcast — The Uncomfortable Truth
(shameless plug)
http://www.theuncomfortabletruth.com

Offline Pukwudji

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #15 on: November 07, 2012, 10:26:04 AM »
If I can get plants to grow without dying I will consider that an accomplishment.

Try growing dandelions.  That should help your gardening self-esteem.     ;D

Offline Cedar

• Autarkist Queen
  • Master Ant
  • Dont wait for the storm to pass, dance in the rain
« Reply #16 on: November 07, 2012, 10:32:03 AM »
My New Years Resolution last year was learn more electronic stuff. I did not get to do that as much as I had hoped, so it will be on the list for 2013 too.

My goals for 2013:

•Learn how to drive a draft horse team. We picked up a pair a few weeks ago and I will now need to learn how to pull logs, mow with a sickle mower and use a dump rake with them. I have driven singles before, but not a team. 
•Hydro power (pelton wheel) since we will probably have a good source for that at least 9 months of the year.
•Spring House on same source as above.
•Crash course in Silviculture.  Managing, using, conserving, and repairing forestland
•Ham radio license
•House building
•Crash course for watershed management, erosion control.
•Possibly making biodiesel for Z's truck
•Make beer because Z has all the equipment and I got him hops from a interview I did. Even though I HATE beer.
•Put my class from a few weeks ago to good use and start AIing livestock, so I get better at it.
•Learn basic electronics, like build a radio from scrap like they did in WWI.
•Perhaps set up my floor loom finally by the end of the year.
•Learn basic economics better than I have a grasp on now.

Cedar
"Do not breathe simply to exist."

Online Smurf Hunter

• Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #17 on: November 07, 2012, 10:59:52 AM »
Last year I planted some hop rhizomes.  Expect some flowers this year.

• learn to harvest and process hops for home brewing
  • improve handgun marksmanship
  • learn more medical/first aid
  • welding
  • physical conditioning
  • food dehydration
[/list]

Offline Greg1109

• Prepper
  • Let's get Bendy!
« Reply #18 on: November 08, 2012, 04:48:30 PM »
Hey all, I'm a little behind in the more recent podcasts.   Which episode is it that Jack mentions this great idea? 

Thanks in advance. 

-Greg
Yes, yes, I know.  "Stop by the intro thread and introduce yourself.".  I'm working on that post in my head and as soon as I figure out what I want to say, i'll do it.   (I want to make a good impression)

*wonders what the inflatable goat thing is all about*

Offline ChrisFox

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #19 on: November 08, 2012, 05:31:16 PM »
This is more for me to keep my ass over the fire to do these so here we go.

1. Learn canning.
2. Knot Tying
3. Brewing. Beer mostly but wine and mead also.
4. Gardening. I'm woefully inept at growing anything so that's one of the first things to do.
5. Reloading pistol, rifle and shotgun.
6. Learning spanish. Living in Texas, I should have done this one years ago.
7. Basic bush crafting. whenever we go camping we take all the stuff we need along with us. will learn how to do it out in the ruff
8. Home Construction. I going to build my own house so I'll not be saddled with paying it off for 30 years.
9. CERT Training
10. Felling Timber and learning to build with them. This one is a long time coming ever since I saw Alone in the Wilderness with Dick Proenneke as a kid.
11. Permaculture.
12. Hiking. I will learn more this year and train but in the next few years I want to hike the entire Appalachian Trail in one go.
13. And since I think one of these skills should be absolutely useless and fun, I've always wanted to know how to juggle. Not flamming chainsaws but maybe ones not on fire  :D

Offline Nicodemus

• HooHa Man! AKA Docs Whipping Boy
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
  • Wake up and smell the cat food n your bank account
« Reply #20 on: November 08, 2012, 06:27:54 PM »
Hey all, I'm a little behind in the more recent podcasts.   Which episode is it that Jack mentions this great idea? 
Thanks in advance. 
-Greg

13 in 13 is mentioned in episode 1002 if I recall correctly.

Offline Alan Georges

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Wishin' every month of the year could be June.
« Reply #21 on: November 08, 2012, 08:18:49 PM »
13. And since I think one of these skills should be absolutely useless and fun, I've always wanted to know how to juggle. Not flamming chainsaws but maybe ones not on fire  :D
Try and work up to a chainsaw, a meat cleaver, and an egg.  What makes it really hard is that they're all different colors.

Start of my list:
1. Overnight backpacking.  Been trying to work that one in for a while.
2. Successful gardening.  I've had enough experience with the other kind.
3. Concealed carry license, and start carrying.  Some gear to sort out there too.
4. Get faster in the local 3 gun matches.
5. Get back on the rifle, get my long-range accuracy up.
6. More medical training.
7. Round out my tools & tool skills, re episode 1014.
8. Nail down any remaining loose ends with CB & FRS radios.
Get active in ham.  Passed the tests, need to do something concrete now:
    9. Pick out and get familiar with radio(s).
    10. Build an effective NVIS HF antenna.
    11. Look into long-range HF antennas, buy or build.
    12. Same for 6, 2, & shorter wavelength antennas.
    13. Learn about local ham clubs & repeaters.
Build it or buy it, start it up and try it, maybe even fry it.  Otherwise you'll never know if it works.

I swear, there are times it seems like "Baofeng" is Cantonese for "hot mess."

Offline Going Galt

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #22 on: November 09, 2012, 06:18:02 PM »
I love this idea and have been thinking of what skills to put in my list since the episode.  BTW, when is the web site for this active?  I've been eagerly anticipating it.

My current list is:
1. Raise chickens for eggs (getting our first next year).
2. Build a chicken coop. I realize it is related to #1 but I could have just gone out and bought one. So, it is a skill.
3. Alternative fire starting methods, and trying various kindling.
4. Continue learning gardening.
5. Pressure canning.  The canner just arrived today!
6. Sand point well; my soil is sandy and squishy, so I want to drive a sand point well and see if I can use it for something (irrigation, backup water).
7. Wild plant identification and eating.
8. Solar oven cooking (will see if I can build one too).
9. Get better with rifle accuracy.
10. Do more cooking over alternative means (volcano stove, emberlit stove, etc.) to get experienced with it.
11. Fishing (I suck at it).
12. Wife wants to learn more cooking skills.
13. Learn all roads/trails in my area.  That'll help me get around better if things go bad and things are blocked off, etc.

Offline Hellbilly

• Fledgling Prepper
« Reply #23 on: November 09, 2012, 07:51:18 PM »
1. Reloading (have most supplies just need to get to it)
2. Beekeeping
3. Ham Radio
4. Sewing and clothes maintenance
5. Advanced firearms training
6. Some type of medical or emergency response training
7. Brewing and distilling alcohol
8. Welding (did this in high school but want to expand on it)
9. Canning
10. Alternate energy/ supplemental energy
11. Learn what plants and bugs are edible
12. Land Navigation (beyond just using a compass)
13.Teaching ( I would like to be able to teach my kids and others things such as roofing, framing, working on cars and small engines, ect. I wish this would come a little easier for me.)
« Last Edit: November 09, 2012, 07:57:18 PM by Hellbilly »

Offline ChrisFox

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #24 on: November 09, 2012, 08:41:32 PM »
Going to need more than 13 if i keep reading this thread.

Offline copycat042

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #25 on: November 18, 2012, 09:12:06 AM »
New listener here, hoping for the best, but preparing for the worst. Here is my partial list:

1. care for/shoot a firearm.
2. First aid/CPR
3. sewing
4. start a fire (primitive)
5. clean fish
6. dress small game

For a good mix of modern and primitive lists, the "manly skills" section of  "artofmanliness.com" is good. Much of it is like the stuff your dad would have taught you back in the day, but that  fave since fallen by the wayside.

Offline copycat042

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #26 on: November 18, 2012, 09:28:15 AM »
Once the official 13-in-13 site is up and running, IMHO it would be cool to post links to tutorials and learning resources for the suggested skills.

Offline Big_Al

• Senior Survivalist
  • Don't look now, but here comes trouble
« Reply #27 on: November 20, 2012, 08:29:52 AM »
1.  Dealing effectively with people. Psychology, influence, negotiations.
2.  Building a community. Using link node analysis to understand a social network.
3.  Map reading and geospatial data.
4.  Weather and water table prediction and analysis.
5.  Self defense both armed and unarmed.
6.  Methods of reducing Personal Identifiable Information, PII.
7.  Basic survival skills of shelter, water, food, energy, and security.
8.  Advanced methods of survival skills.
9.  Employ sound financial principles and establishing a budget.
10. Fixing mechanical, electrical things.
11. Blacksmith.
12. Gardening.
13. Risk mitigation and use of insurance and military risk reduction measures.
"you can do everything right and still fail, chance and the enemy get a vote"
Old Afghan Proverb
Give an American a fish, he will return the favor by giving you multi million dollar contracts.
Teach an American to fish, he gets jealous that you knew something he did not, and calls in a drone strike and kills you and your family.

Offline ModernSurvival

• Just a Desperado Under The Eaves
  • Administrator
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • Liberty is precious, fight to keep it!
    • The Survival Podcast
« Reply #28 on: December 01, 2012, 10:57:15 AM »
Could the title of the post be more whining? 

First ANYONE can suggest a skill at the site which is now live at www.13skills.com

Next let me use this as a chance to help everyone help us keep 13 skills clean and easy to use. 

Let's use Big Al's list below not picking on you man just convienent, the first skill listed is

Dealing effectively with people. Psychology, influence, negotiations.

Now if we let people define skills like that the site will be an ever loving mess. 

The "Skill" there is simply perhaps "People Skills"

The user then can define any goal or any group of goals, classes, metrics for themselves within that goal. 

Can you imagine if we had stuff like this as skills?

Making pants
Making a hammock
Making a jacket
Weaving cloth
Weaving baskets
Weaving mats
Spinning wool
Darning socks
Running a sewing machine
Hemming pants
etc
etc
etc
etc

All as top level skills.

I would say all of those and anything like them could fit in say

Sewing
or
Weaving
or
Tailoring

If you guys can really look to see if a skill already exists to cover your goal it will help a lot.  If you will make your suggested skills as top level as possible that will help a lot to.

Another thing to note is that right now when you suggest a skill and we approve it there is no way to let you know that we did, we don't even know who submitted it so you need to check in say a day to see if it was approved.  We want to do better at comms with you guys and be able to say something like "thanks for submitting building a hammock but it isn't a skill but more of a goal, please consider putting your goal of hammock making under sewing or perhaps building equipment".  Or to say "thanks for submitting teaching as a skill, that is a great idea, we have approved your suggestion and you can add it to your profile now".

We will get there but remember this is like version 0.1 this may be a 2.0 thing.  I have one developer on this project and can only afford to pay him so much. 

But God on the title of the OP get over yourself, I am pretty sure I already answered this for you on the blog but NO ONE is trying to keep the skills all "guy based".  However it is nice to see how many guys are choosing skills like sewing, cooking, etc.  Also nice to see how many ladies are picking up guns and gear.  Man I just don't get this problem that you seem to see, IT DOESN'T EXIST.

Anyone can suggest a skill, ANYONE just please try to keep skills and goals as different concepts.  One skill could have a million possible goals under it, and likely will at some point.  That is fine we can do that but we can't have a skills list with hundreds of duplicates and 8 words to define a skill.  Likely if you need more then three words to define it we have crossed into goals.  I hope this makes sense.
Jack Spirko

The Survival Podcast

"If some of our teenage thrill seeker really want to go out and get a thrill.  Let them go up into the north west and let them tangle with a Grizzly bear  or Polar bear or brown bear and get that effect that will cleanse the soul".  ~ Fred Bear

Online Smurf Hunter

• Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #29 on: December 01, 2012, 11:49:43 AM »
So far I am digging the new site.  I've setup my skills and updated those in progress.

My only minor pet peeve, are people who have registered and already achieved skills within a few hours.  Regardless of where you may be at with a given skill, any goal you set seems like it shouldn't be achievable in only a few hours. 

I realize there's no way to police this, just hope people willingly take the high road.