Author Topic: 13-In-13 Skills Girls only want boyfriends who have great skills.  (Read 5493 times)

Offline flippydidit

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Keep 'em shooting!
Re: 13-In-13 Skills Girls only want boyfriends who have great skills.
« Reply #30 on: December 01, 2012, 11:58:43 AM »
I agree Smurf Hunter.  I didn't go on there and select all the skills I'm already proficient at.  I picked the skills that I'm working on THIS COMING YEAR.  Ok, so I'm cheating by starting some of those skills this year......

By the way, I hope they accept my submission of BANJO as that's the skill I'm most focused on.
Nate
Military/civilian gunsmith/machinist
CEO and Founder of PermEscapes
PermEscapes
PermEscapes on Facebook

"One of these centuries, the brutes, private or public, who believe that they can rule their betters by force, will learn the lesson of what happens when brute force encounters mind and force."
— Ragnar Danneskjöld, from Atlas Shrugged (Ayn Rand)

Offline ModernSurvival

• Just a Desperado Under The Eaves
  • Administrator
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • Liberty is precious, fight to keep it!
    • The Survival Podcast
« Reply #31 on: December 01, 2012, 12:00:11 PM »
Smurfhunter, I agree but I don't want to jump anyone over it or anything.  Keep in mind when I announced the project two months ago I did say, get started if you want to don't wait on us so some may be legit.

The vision though I am trying to set is EXACTLY what you describe and I am going to add some video and help sections to the site to help with that.  I have already gotten some total he man BS emails like this,

"I already have all of the 105 skills you list but I want to help others gain them, how can I do that"

Really?  All 105, he counted?  Wow?  The entire point is we can all get better and develop skills with in the major skill sets.

Someone may say I have shot competition in hand gun and three gun I have firearms done flat.

My response would be what about black powder,  how about skeet, sporting clays?  Have you been to an Appleseed shoot and qualified as a rifleman?  Do you know how to build a AR from parts or how about restoring an old shot gun, okay that is gunsmith stuff but I think I have made my point. 

Again I will do what I can on the vision but I think much as in the forum respect will be earned by those that are sincere.  That is what the community will form around.

We are also going to add an "about me" component to the profile page and allow people to include links to their blogs and stuff along with social media.  That will fill the need some have to say, "look what I can do" and the genuine desire others have to say, "I have expertise in these areas and can help others with them", such will become leaders in the community. 

My only hope is those people who already have lots of skills understand the 13 in 13 is for them too, none of us know it all, period.  I know about 12 ways to make a fire with out a match, want to bet someone could teach me 13, 14 and 15?  ;)
Jack Spirko

The Survival Podcast

"If some of our teenage thrill seeker really want to go out and get a thrill.  Let them go up into the north west and let them tangle with a Grizzly bear  or Polar bear or brown bear and get that effect that will cleanse the soul".  ~ Fred Bear

Offline ModernSurvival

• Just a Desperado Under The Eaves
  • Administrator
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • Liberty is precious, fight to keep it!
    • The Survival Podcast
« Reply #32 on: December 01, 2012, 12:07:41 PM »
By the way, I hope they accept my submission of BANJO as that's the skill I'm most focused on.

;) Um no, what I did was add a top level skill of music for you.  Now you can select that and add a banjo goal in that skill set.  This will prevent a skills list of

Banjo
Guitar
Drums
Harmonica
Singing
One Man Band
Tuba
Trumpet
Marching Band
Jazz Band Playing
etc
etc
etc

Make sense?  I am also about to nuke guitar which slipped in some how.  Mr. Bill is also setting up a 13Skills board here some time today.
Jack Spirko

The Survival Podcast

"If some of our teenage thrill seeker really want to go out and get a thrill.  Let them go up into the north west and let them tangle with a Grizzly bear  or Polar bear or brown bear and get that effect that will cleanse the soul".  ~ Fred Bear

Offline flippydidit

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Keep 'em shooting!
« Reply #33 on: December 01, 2012, 12:10:15 PM »
Yeah, I was wondering how piano and guitar got in there.  I kept looking for Musical Instrument, or something to that effect.

By the way, I don't have a website or "social media", but I'm willing to assist others in the Gunsmith skill.
Nate
Military/civilian gunsmith/machinist
CEO and Founder of PermEscapes
PermEscapes
PermEscapes on Facebook

"One of these centuries, the brutes, private or public, who believe that they can rule their betters by force, will learn the lesson of what happens when brute force encounters mind and force."
— Ragnar Danneskjöld, from Atlas Shrugged (Ayn Rand)

Offline LibertyBelle

• Munches with goats...
  • Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #34 on: December 02, 2012, 08:41:53 PM »
Same with knitting, crocheting, finger weaving, spinning, cleaning/carding/dying raw wool....all are what I consider "yarn works".  Granted, I want to learn/improve in all of these, but why bog the site down with having a separate category for each? 

Offline Cedar

• Autarkist Queen
  • Master Ant
  • Dont wait for the storm to pass, dance in the rain
« Reply #35 on: December 02, 2012, 08:49:43 PM »
Same with knitting, crocheting, finger weaving, spinning, cleaning/carding/dying raw wool....all are what I consider "yarn works".  Granted, I want to learn/improve in all of these, but why bog the site down with having a separate category for each?

Just go with "Fiber Junkie"...

Cedar
"Do not breathe simply to exist."

Offline Doomtrooper

• Prepper
« Reply #36 on: December 02, 2012, 10:11:52 PM »
So many skills I don't know where to start >_<
"Since it is likely that [children] will meet cruel enemies, let them at least have heard of brave knights and heroic courage."- C. S. Lewis

"I want to be best remembered for my deeds and actions" -ME

"Will yourself to stand ready and courageous on the battlefield. In this way, all that is difficult or dangerous will be yours."
- The Way of the Samurai

Offline robertov416

• Prepper
    • Progress on 13 in 13 skills
« Reply #37 on: December 03, 2012, 11:18:00 AM »
So many skills I don't know where to start >_<

With the first one... LOL

Offline PreppingMom

• Prepper
« Reply #38 on: December 03, 2012, 09:04:16 PM »

I agree! At our county fair all those activities (as well as sewing and loom weaving" are under the heading of TEXTILES. I have a quilting and weaving goal, but didn't want to put them into separate headings so I chose Quilting and added the weaving to it along with the quilting goal. For me, I would have rather had Textiles as a skill to choose from and it would have kept the list shorter.
But the Little Red Hen said, "No, you won't. I will."

From the original book by FLORENCE WHITE WILLIAMS found at http://www.gutenberg.org/files/18735/18735.txt

Offline Big_Al

• Senior Survivalist
  • Don't look now, but here comes trouble
« Reply #39 on: December 04, 2012, 12:14:15 AM »
Oops, apologize-thought this post was created by the web author/designer or his wife/girlfriend.

Yes I agree that my list on psychology, influence, and negotiations would fall under goals set in "people skills" and here is an example.

Under "people skills" I could list several relevant goals to accomplish the skill. I could list a sub goal of being effective with people, and parenthesis list (how to get my message across w/o being an asshole).
I could also list as a goal under "people skills" influencing others with a sub goal in parenthesis (how to get my message across w/o coming across as an arrogant know it all). Using these examples it's very easy to see how goals drive the overall skill in "people skills" category.

Hey thanks survivor god for illuminating why we need to improve.
"you can do everything right and still fail, chance and the enemy get a vote"
Old Afghan Proverb
Give an American a fish, he will return the favor by giving you multi million dollar contracts.
Teach an American to fish, he gets jealous that you knew something he did not, and calls in a drone strike and kills you and your family.

Offline Smurf Hunter

• Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #40 on: December 04, 2012, 01:10:16 PM »
I am fairly pleased with the consensus of this thread. 

Collaboration between members will be interesting to watch.  Time will tell if members use the resources available to good effect in reaching their goals.  I'm optimistic more youtube content will be developed, perhaps new blogs, etc.  I wonder if there's a way (within youtube) to associate related material?  Something like a 13in13 playlist for a given skillset, etc.  How great would it be if 13in13 members rated the top 10 bullet casting videos for example?

The personal recommendations of products and resources is what makes this community great.

Offline rikkrack

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Permaculture Entrepreneur
    • Wolf-Beach Farms
« Reply #41 on: December 04, 2012, 01:16:19 PM »
I am fairly pleased with the consensus of this thread. 

Collaboration between members will be interesting to watch.  Time will tell if members use the resources available to good effect in reaching their goals.  I'm optimistic more youtube content will be developed, perhaps new blogs, etc.  I wonder if there's a way (within youtube) to associate related material?  Something like a 13in13 playlist for a given skillset, etc.  How great would it be if 13in13 members rated the top 10 bullet casting videos for example?

The personal recommendations of products and resources is what makes this community great.

Never posted to Youtube but maybe a common way to tag between topics? i.e. use the same tag words? If all "welding" videos also had the tag "13in13" you could search that way. or "TIG welding" and "13in13". Making sure the tag words line up with the already established topics.
www.wolfbeachfarms.com

Co-Founder and Educator at www.midwestsustainable.org

Aquaponics/Permaculture Entrepreneur

"You have a moral obligation to screw the government every chance you can." G-pa Wolf

Offline Smurf Hunter

• Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #42 on: December 04, 2012, 01:40:18 PM »
Never posted to Youtube but maybe a common way to tag between topics? i.e. use the same tag words? If all "welding" videos also had the tag "13in13" you could search that way. or "TIG welding" and "13in13". Making sure the tag words line up with the already established topics.

You get it. I think the tag "13in13" is unique and unambiguous, so that it would work across all manner of media.  Youtube is the obvious one, but also google searches:  "tig welding 13in13", categories on prepper blogs, etc. etc.

If we could get Jack to officially suggest or endorse the "13in13" tag on the air, I bet it'd take off. 

Offline LibertyBelle

• Munches with goats...
  • Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #43 on: December 06, 2012, 06:33:55 PM »
Just go with "Fiber Junkie"...

Cedar

I like!!!  Yep....I'm now officially a "Fiber Junkie"  ;D

Offline Louisiana Suvivor

• Can't Spell His Own Name
  • Dedicated Contributor
  • One day my forge will be finished.
« Reply #44 on: December 18, 2012, 08:48:11 PM »
i agree smurf. i put it in my "about me" section that i won't ever complete one
Contributing to TSP Forum since October 19, 2008.

Offline Slow runner

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #45 on: October 09, 2013, 04:14:05 PM »
Yeah, I was wondering how piano and guitar got in there.  I kept looking for Musical Instrument, or something to that effect.

By the way, I don't have a website or "social media", but I'm willing to assist others in the Gunsmith skill.

I just found the podcast, forum, and 13 skills. I had a goal this year to do three things.  Sailing, Gun Smithing, and read as many books as posable. What is the to start gun smithing?