Author Topic: What do you recommend for a GHB and BOB?  (Read 6046 times)

Offline ConcoursRider

• Survivor
  • New TSP Forum member
What do you recommend for a GHB and BOB?
« on: October 29, 2012, 04:33:49 PM »
I'm currently in sales and I'm on the road quite a bit and I can be as far as 80 miles away from home. It seems that I'm going to need both a GHB and BOB and I wanted to know what brand and model you recommend? I just built my wife's GHB and it's good size and I haven't even begun to build her BOB bag yet.

Thanks,

Chris

Offline Bolomark

• Survivalist Mentor
Re: What do you recommend for a GHB and BOB?
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2012, 06:01:20 PM »
OK, in my opinion.
at 80 miles its going to take a while to get home.figure out what you want to carry to get home, then size the pack to fit your items,if you get an extra large pack you'll windup over packing,then you will toss it out on the way home.
so a big pack or resupply on the way home allowing for a lighter pack.(can you stash some supplies somewhere)
can you carry a bike? that will increase you range per day.
do you want military look or hiking look?
i went for a hiking look trying to not stand out, a lot of people here carry hiking packs.
for hiking packs take a look at the at the backpacking magazines for reviews.check online at rei.com backcountry.com campmour.com ect and read the reviews available at the library
you'll be happy with a durable pack versus a lightweight.especially if you move it around a lot. multi day pack depending how you load.are you carrying a weapon?
i have an rei pack and a couple of kelty packs, osprey and arcteryix are also good.
and if possible try it on before you buy.Have Fun.

Offline Fyrediver

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2012, 06:09:20 PM »
For my GHB I take a layered approach.

Outer, and heaviest layer is a backpack.  Just happened to be a Lowes pack that I already had that I used to hike around Europe.

Middle layer, under my jacket, is a RIBZ pack.  This has most of the same contents just smaller and lighter versions.  ie my heavy pack has a poncho and liner, this pack has a space blanket and yard trash bag.  Additionally, there's no water in the flat bottles in this layer.

The inner layer is my EDC including a Doug Ritter pocket survival kit.

As far as brands of packs I'd get what's comfortable and fits you well.  Go to an REI or other good backpacking retail store and try some out.  Any of the better known backpacking packs would serve well. 

Offline ConcoursRider

• Survivor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2012, 04:15:55 AM »
REI has great service with custom fitting the bags, but I'd like to try and get something with camouflage if possible. The problem is that I don't believe many "retail" stores carry these types of bags. I'll have to check my local Army/Navy store.

Offline cartpusher

• Survivalist Mentor
    • Survival Gear Bags
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2012, 07:26:41 AM »
I would suggest this bag, Paladin Mission Expedition Pack:
http://survivalgearbags.com/pamipaexp.html

Or if you list of items gets really large you may want to bump up to this:
http://survivalgearbags.com/gcfcopabl.html

Do you have your vehicle with you when you are out for work? If so, I would take advantage of the storage space in the vehicle and then keep the pack a bit smaller.  Then if you have to head out on foot, you can grab the key items you will need for the given circumstances.  The Paladin one is nice in that it can shrink down, or expand out as needed.

Offline The Professor

• Tactical Skittle Assassin
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • All we have to do is create another universe
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2012, 10:06:42 PM »
REI has great service with custom fitting the bags, but I'd like to try and get something with camouflage if possible. The problem is that I don't believe many "retail" stores carry these types of bags. I'll have to check my local Army/Navy store.

I might suggest avoiding a camo pack.  It may actually stand out, in some situations.  If you need camo, get a couple yards of ripstop material in your favorite camo pattern,  cut it to fit the outside of your pack, sew a tunnel around the perimeter, thread some 550 cord through it and you can cover your pack as you need.  Get a second piece of material in your second-favorite pattern, sew it to the other side and you have a reversible camo.

Just a suggestion.

The Professor

Offline cartpusher

• Survivalist Mentor
    • Survival Gear Bags
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2012, 05:59:19 AM »
Great tip Professor.  Send me a PM if you have any interest in designing a kit for our store.

Offline bcksknr

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Child of the Cold War
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2012, 07:40:31 AM »
I also agree with the Professer. I mainly stick to basic black for carry gear. It doesn't scream paramilitary, yet it tends to blend in; especially in an urban setting. There is no one perfect camo, but the reversible idea is a good option for different situations. On the road is one; in the woods is another. Don't forget the seasonal factor as well. I use dimensionally cut camo panels made out of Tyvek material when I go duck hunting. They are very light weight, strong and compress well. They can be found in a variety of Fall, marshy/woodland patterns (nothing urban however). Each panel is about 4X10 foot and is designed to make ground blinds for hunting and cover for duck boats. It would be easy to tailor a pack cover or personal camo poncho (ala Gilly suit) out of these. You can find these at most Farm & Fleet stores, or Walmart sporting deptartments. They aren't expensive either. A while back I got into a Forum discusion about whether adopting a "homeless guy" look (basically having nothing worth stealing) or a "Rambo" look (being too tough and scary to mess with) is preferable. The raggety-man pushing a rusty shopping cart may signal weakness as an easy target, while the well armed camo warrier is sure to attract all kinds of attention (one bullet is all it takes to take it all!). We never did come to a definitive conclusion. Just some food for thought.

Offline ConcoursRider

• Survivor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2012, 04:16:37 PM »
I would suggest this bag, Paladin Mission Expedition Pack:
http://survivalgearbags.com/pamipaexp.html

Or if you list of items gets really large you may want to bump up to this:
http://survivalgearbags.com/gcfcopabl.html

Do you have your vehicle with you when you are out for work? If so, I would take advantage of the storage space in the vehicle and then keep the pack a bit smaller.  Then if you have to head out on foot, you can grab the key items you will need for the given circumstances.  The Paladin one is nice in that it can shrink down, or expand out as needed.

I don't have a ton of room in my car especially in the trunk where I'll keep it.

I might suggest avoiding a camo pack.  It may actually stand out, in some situations.  If you need camo, get a couple yards of ripstop material in your favorite camo pattern,  cut it to fit the outside of your pack, sew a tunnel around the perimeter, thread some 550 cord through it and you can cover your pack as you need.  Get a second piece of material in your second-favorite pattern, sew it to the other side and you have a reversible camo.

Just a suggestion.

The Professor

That's a great point Professor. I'd rather not attract any attention my way.

I also agree with the Professer. I mainly stick to basic black for carry gear. It doesn't scream paramilitary, yet it tends to blend in; especially in an urban setting. There is no one perfect camo, but the reversible idea is a good option for different situations. On the road is one; in the woods is another. Don't forget the seasonal factor as well. I use dimensionally cut camo panels made out of Tyvek material when I go duck hunting. They are very light weight, strong and compress well. They can be found in a variety of Fall, marshy/woodland patterns (nothing urban however). Each panel is about 4X10 foot and is designed to make ground blinds for hunting and cover for duck boats. It would be easy to tailor a pack cover or personal camo poncho (ala Gilly suit) out of these. You can find these at most Farm & Fleet stores, or Walmart sporting deptartments. They aren't expensive either. A while back I got into a Forum discusion about whether adopting a "homeless guy" look (basically having nothing worth stealing) or a "Rambo" look (being too tough and scary to mess with) is preferable. The raggety-man pushing a rusty shopping cart may signal weakness as an easy target, while the well armed camo warrier is sure to attract all kinds of attention (one bullet is all it takes to take it all!). We never did come to a definitive conclusion. Just some food for thought.

You make good points like the professor and I'm going to take everyone's advice.