Author Topic: Off grid bug zapper  (Read 8059 times)

Offline Nomad, 2nd

• Survivor
  • New TSP Forum member
Off grid bug zapper
« on: June 26, 2013, 10:17:02 PM »
I think they are trying to carry the Airstream away tonight (less wind then normal)

And more of them got inside.

Flying termits and smaller bugs...

Going to town tomorrow to get bat houses.

What do you use?

Off grid or I'd get a bug zapper... All the solar ones have bad reviews.

Offline ncjeeper

• Most Noble Order of the Garter Snake
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • Oooops!
Re: Off grid bug zapper
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2013, 11:51:48 PM »
You could hire me. Every time I go outdoors all the bugs come to (eat) me. :o

Offline Skunkeye

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2013, 08:53:16 AM »
In my experience, there are three great allies in the war on flying insects:  bats, purple martins, and dragonflies.  Do what you can to attract those guys to your property.  Bring in housing for bats and purple martins (martins prefer open areas, so they may not be an option on heavily wooded properties), and a pond for dragonflies.  Even a small, galvanized stock-tank pond with a handful of goldfish or minnows in it will bring in dragonflies and damselflies. The dragons will eat the adult mosquitoes and the fish will eat their larvae. 

Bug zappers are effective at killing moths and midges, but won't do much to knock down the mosquito population.  Mosquitoes aren't attracted to UV light, they're attracted to CO2 and body heat.

Offline lucasstroberg

• Prepper
  • Simple Man!
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2013, 04:33:56 PM »

Offline archer

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Survival Veteran
  • #ImissAmerica
    • Journey to Greener Pastures
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2013, 04:42:08 PM »

Offline Nomad, 2nd

• Survivor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2013, 08:27:03 PM »
I broke down and bought a 16 oz can of cutter fogger... Walked around the airstream and emptied the can.

Just a couple bugs now.

(I don't want to do lots of chemicals as I have a high water table)

Mosquitos aren't much of a problem... There are flys all around During the day though.

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
  • TSP Supreme Galactic Ant
  • Dont wait for the storm to pass, dance in the rain
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2013, 09:02:09 PM »
I lived in Blackfly, Mosquito and No-See-Um Central for 9 years. I swear by 3 things...

Deet Free and trialed in side-by-side bug spray trials while fishing with friends who laughed at me until they were getting welts the size of quarters from being bit and I was not. Buzz Away won hands down against theirs with DEET. Everytime I came back to the States, I would buy a case of it to take back North with me.

CAUTION on the Electric fly swatter. DO NOT let your drinking friends near one after 2 beers or stupid things happen

or..... maybe you do  ;)

and third

Sorry guys, girl not included in the netting box. I did keep one of these nets over my bed in Canada. However, it will keep mosquitoes out, but not No-See-Ums... until you use two of them. Then the No-See-Ums cannot get in for some reason.

Cedar

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2013, 09:03:43 PM »
You could hire me. Every time I go outdoors all the bugs come to (eat) me. :o

Sends ncjeeper a case of Buzz Away and a crate of garlic. And don't eat bananas during mosquito season, eat an orange a day instead.

Cedar

Offline Ms. Albatross

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2013, 08:43:30 AM »

CAUTION on the Electric fly swatter. DO NOT let your drinking friends near one after 2 beers or stupid things happen

or..... maybe you do  ;)

Cedar

:rofl:

Offline archer

• Administrator
  • #ImissAmerica
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2013, 10:32:21 AM »
I lived in Blackfly, Mosquito and No-See-Um Central for 9 years. I swear by 3 things...

as usual, Cedar has good info

or..... maybe you do  ;)
hahaha. i can see where that would be amusing...

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2013, 11:06:40 AM »
Those bug zappers actually leave like 2nd degree burns sometimes..

I remember one night seeing a bunch of soused people 'fencing' with the bug zappers.. I sat back out of the way watching with amusement and with my FAK ready.

Cedar

Offline Ms. Albatross

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2013, 11:13:48 AM »
I sat back out of the way watching with amusement and with my FAK ready.

???  Ok - Dumb question of the day.  What is an FAK?

P.S.  I looked it up on the internet and couldn't find anything....

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2013, 11:18:31 AM »
Not dumb..
FAK = First Aid Kit

Cedar

Offline archer

• Administrator
  • #ImissAmerica
« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2013, 11:21:09 AM »

I remember one night seeing a bunch of soused people 'fencing' with the bug zappers.. I sat back out of the way watching with amusement and with my FAK ready.

Cedar

oh that is funny to think of..

Offline ncjeeper

• Most Noble Order of the Garter Snake
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • Oooops!
« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2013, 12:59:25 AM »
Sends ncjeeper a case of Buzz Away and a crate of garlic. And don't eat bananas during mosquito season, eat an orange a day instead.

Cedar
Thanks. :) I even increased my B1 intake hoping that would help. I haven't seen any results.

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
« Reply #15 on: June 29, 2013, 09:23:42 AM »
Thanks. :) I even increased my B1 intake hoping that would help. I haven't seen any results.

Isn't that supposed to be B12? Anyway, it doesn't work if you go to Alaska. Mom made us eat that stuff for a month before we went up there. If it worked we only got 3,000 bites a day instead of 6,000 bites a day. Until she used really nasty bug spray on us, which weirdly I think I can still taste the memory of that now that I write this. UGH.

Cedar

Offline Morning Sunshine

• Geese Smuggling Moonbat
  • Survival Veteran
  • There are no mistakes, just Learning Experiences
« Reply #16 on: June 29, 2013, 09:50:24 AM »

Cedar

that's as good as the kids birthday party my friend saw.  Obviously the parents had never actually done a pinata.  Or they wouldn't have blindfolded ALL the kids and given them all sticks at the same time

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
« Reply #17 on: June 29, 2013, 10:16:40 AM »

Cedar

Offline Byno

• Prepper
« Reply #18 on: July 01, 2013, 01:15:52 AM »
Those electric fly swatters are AWESOME! i have two of them that i bought from harbor freight for like 3 bucks a piece. 1 for inside the house and 1 for at work. word of caution though.  do not touch in between the metal screens even after you have let go of the button. i chased a fly for like 5 minutes and made the mistake of accidentally touching the "zapper part" and the kinetic energy that was stored in it zapped the crud out of me haha. and i found out the hard way that those UV bug zappers only kill small moths. i still get attacked by everything else entering and exiting my house.

while we are on the subject of bugs. how do i prevent wolf spiders and daddy long legs from getting inside the house? that and i have an infestation of black ants in the kitchen but i dont see any ant hills outside... how do i get rid of those. ive read about putting splenda or borax at their point of entry but every time i put something down they pop up somewhere else.

Offline Skunkeye

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #19 on: July 01, 2013, 08:55:34 PM »
In the days before bug zappers, old-timers would sometimes hang a half-full bucket of water, with a light bulb hanging right above it.  Flying bugs are attracted to the light, fall into the water and drown.  It works great for June beetles, since they're not great flyers to begin with.  They whack into the light bulb, and drop into the bucket.

It could be a good solution for an off-grid system.  A low-wattage LED light should work just as well as a 60-watt incandescent, so it's not as big a power draw as a zapper.

Just remember to empty and refill the bucket regularly (into the compost pile, maybe?), because the water gets nasty pretty quickly with all the dead bugs in it.

while we are on the subject of bugs. how do i prevent wolf spiders and daddy long legs from getting inside the house?

I can't vouch for whether it works or not, but I've seen reference in a few old books about using peppermint oil to repel spiders. 

Offline NCFreedom

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #20 on: July 19, 2013, 04:19:39 AM »
anybody ever heard of the mosquito-authority?  my mom bought some groupon deal and wants to get our yard "treated".  I don't think it'll do much good since we live in the woods and i don't want the stuff on my garden, but we are having a helluva time with mosquitos this year.  Every time i go to mess in the garden i see small swarms around me.
I am gonna make a few of the traps from above today and see if i can kill some.  Its worse this year than i remember it in a long time. 

Offline Pathfinder

• Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #21 on: July 19, 2013, 06:33:41 AM »
Out in the country, we used a little device they sold almost everywhere - fleet/farm, hardware stores, grocery stores, even the gas station - that sits on the top of a gallon jug (or the expensive plastic bottle they wanted to sell you). You then add about water up to about 1/3 of the bottle and add this stuff to the water that is essentially essence of rotting carcass. Cap the bottle with the little device (yellow and black plastic IIRC) that lets bugs in but not out, and it attracts bugs like crazy and oddly doesn't really emit a smell that I could detect unless standing right next to it.

It worked so well that instead of dumping the contents of the container, I simply tossed the whole container full - let me re-phrase that - FULL of dead and dying bugs, to the point you could no longer see liquid. It works that well. Just take the little plastic device off, cap the bottle with the cap from a new container, and repeat as necessary.

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...

Offline statesofmind

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #23 on: July 21, 2013, 09:37:45 AM »
Believe it or not the batteried poer racquets do work very well for me.  I recharge the AA batteries from my solar/battery bank setup.  They are dead kill on nasty deer and horse flys too!  Cheap, effective and fun for all!   ;D

Offline Perfesser

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #24 on: July 22, 2013, 10:15:23 AM »
When the bugs were really bad and we were working outside Dad would put out a smudge pot.
Just an old bucket with a fire in it topped with punky or wet wood that would "smudge" or smolder without really burning. The bucket has no air holes near the bottom.
You want it small so the smoke cools fast and hugs the ground.
Place upwind and you'll have almost no bugs at all.

Offline sdcharger

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #25 on: August 04, 2013, 11:23:10 PM »
LED lights attract about 90% less bugs than other bulbs in my experience.

Offline fritz_monroe

• The Defenestrator
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
    • The Homestead Fritz
« Reply #26 on: August 05, 2013, 04:17:59 AM »
Along with the fly swatter, check out the Bug-A-Salt.  It shoots salt to kill the bugs.

But just like with the fly swatter, it's just a satisfaction thing.  Killing 1 at a time does nothing to the population of the critters. But it's a lot of fun.

Offline bdhutier

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Defensor libertas
« Reply #27 on: August 05, 2013, 06:59:50 AM »
Bug zappers are effective at killing moths and midges, but won't do much to knock down the mosquito population.  Mosquitoes aren't attracted to UV light, they're attracted to CO2 and body heat.

I know that's what they say, but while we were in North Dakota, every morning my zapper would be jam packed full of mosquitos, but only on the north facing half.  Go figure.  Sure didn't help with the population, though.  I don't really think anything would have..   :o