Author Topic: Google Sketchup  (Read 660 times)

Offline MIZZOU_RAH

• Survivor
  • New TSP Forum member
    • Travelling on Pints
Google Sketchup
« on: October 30, 2012, 04:48:17 PM »
As the growing season comes to a close here in Missouri, I've been itching to come up with ideas for next year's garden and future expansion. I have worked with Google Sketchup at my job several times and become somewhat proficient with the software. It's an extremely powerful tool and one with many possible uses for the gardener or the prepper/homesteader in general! Here's a screenshot I did for a couple of future beds I was mulling over adding next spring.

I'm sure many here are familiar with Sketchup, but I dig it so much I thought it was worth posting about as a gardening tool! If you're good with computers, it's very intuitive and you should pick it up in no time. If you're more tech-adverse then you might have to clunk through it for a little while. I created my own pieces of lumber, saved them as components, and then used the pieces to design a new bed with removable fencing to make tending to the garden easier. It's an awesome tool and I encourage everyone who has any design work to do in their yard or in their home to give it a try. There is also a Sketchup "Store" (it's free) where you can download components created by other users. The best part is that it's FREE! http://www.sketchup.com/intl/en/index.html

Zone 6b
Follow me on Twitter! @maxhouseholder
Check out my beer blog: TravellingonPints.blogspot.com

Offline ttubravesrock

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Born to be an Alaskan
Re: Google Sketchup
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2012, 05:56:05 PM »
I also enjoy using Sketchup, but I'm nowhere near as good as you are at modeling with it.  That is a great drawing. 

Side note: Sketchup is no longer Google Sketchup, it is a Trimble product now.  Trimble does surveying and it is a good match. However, it does make it more likely that add-ons will start costing money in the future.

Offline Skunkeye

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2012, 08:40:13 PM »
I use Sketchup for drawing out all kinds of projects, too.  I did a full model of a small workshop I built last year (it was very useful in visualizing things like roof framing, etc), and both sets of raised bed gardens I've built.  I found it most useful when I was building my kitchen cabinets a couple years ago, though.  It was extremely useful to visualize the different options for layout, cabinet types, etc, and then when we finalized the layout and design, I used Sketchup to generate a cutlist for all the parts.  Very nice software.
"The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people; it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government - lest it come to dominate our lives and interests.” - Patrick Henry

Offline jannereeves

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2012, 02:39:22 AM »
Nice design MIZZOU_RAH, even i used Google sketchup for my kitchen renovation, and made a 3-D design for my kitchen.
I have installed Cheap cabinets in my Kitchen.

Offline Adam B.

• Dedicated Contributor
    • The Uncomfortable Truth
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2012, 10:33:44 AM »
NICE — I've used Sketchup for various things on projects I do, and it even makes a good 3D file format converter when you are having trouble importing a model into various 3D applications.
Listen to my podcast — The Uncomfortable Truth
(shameless plug)
http://www.theuncomfortabletruth.com

Offline thewarriorhunter

• Admin Bait!
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • A fledgling ant watching out for antlions
    • Mai Thai Coffee
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2012, 10:19:52 PM »
well, now i have something else to learn how to do/use. i had never heard of sketchup until today... looks pretty neat... sadly i'm on the old beater computer right now, i'll have to wait until the wife is done with her homework to play around with this.

Mai Thai Coffee - Coffee With a Mission - MSB members get 10% off everything! www.maithaicoffee.com

Want to win free coffee? New contest in The Swap Meet board every month. Check out the current one here.

We work directly with the Thai farmers who grow our coffee. We have a great video that shows the process of getting our coffee From Seed to Cup