Author Topic: Episode-662- Modern Survival Ways to Save Money Part 1  (Read 3234 times)

Offline Moonfire

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
Episode-662- Modern Survival Ways to Save Money Part 1
« on: October 30, 2012, 07:00:14 PM »
The Survival Podcast http://www.thesurvivalpodcast.com

SERIES:      TSP
EPISODE:   662
DATE:         May 11, 2011
TITLE:        Modern Survival Ways to Save Money Part 1

SOURCE FILE:
http://www.thesurvivalpodcast.com/audio-test/epi-00662-ways-to-save-part-1.mp3

FILE ARCHIVE:   
http://www.thesurvivalpodcast.com/save-money-part-one

DESCRIPTION:
Today is the first in a miniseries on saving money and 100% of the tips, suggestions and resources come from you, the audience.  My hope is that with this series the average listener can reclaim 100-300 dollars a month of their hard earned money and then use it to further their individual independence.  Today’s show notes will mostly just be the resources which will include all websites recommend by the audience in the order they are presented.

Due to how awesome this series is becoming I will continue to take submissions for future shows through the rest of this week, just send you tips and resources to jack at thesurvivalpodcast.com with “TSP Money Saver” in the subject line.

Web Resources for Today’s Show in the Order Presented:
- www.gatewaytosaving.com
- ING Direct
- Harris Teeter eVIC Rewards Program
- The Simple Dollar
- Fermented Veggies – Cheap Super Food!
- Mambo Sprouts – Coupons for Organic foods
- The Krazy Coupon Lady
- Hip2Save.com
- Coupons.com
- RedPlumb.com
- SmartSource.com
- MyKidsEatFree.com
- Habitat Restore
- Craigslist
- Freecycle.org
- SouthernSavers.com
- OnceAMonthMom.com
- TrailCooking.com
- Making Your Own Healthy Bulk Breakfast Burritos

SPONSORS OF THE DAY:
- Members Support Bridgade (MSB)
- TSP Gear Shop
- TSP Copper
- Knife Kits
- Western Botanicals

TRANSCRIPTION PROVIDED BY:
Amy, aka Moonfire

Offline Moonfire

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
Re: Episode-662- Modern Survival Ways to Save Money Part 1
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2012, 07:00:51 PM »
Housekeeping

<intro/housekeeping 0:00 - 4:49>

Offline Moonfire

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
Re: Episode-662- Modern Survival Ways to Save Money Part 1
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2012, 07:10:23 PM »
Note: All non-Jack dialogs are not guests, but TSP listener emails. I just think it’s more organized this way. My apologies if I've spelled your name wrong.

Main Show

<4:49>

Jack Spirko: Alright with that let’s get into the main topic of today’s show, which again is I’m just going to go through and I’m going to read your emails. And occasionally I’ll abbreviate and abridge things cause some of them are quite long. I’ll do a lot of pausing here to scan. This is going to be actually, seems like an easy show for me to do but it’s actually going to be a difficult show because there’s so much material for me to wade through and I don’t want to give you too much repetition with it, which I’m sure there’ll be some. Lots of stuff on coupons, that’s what the first one starts out. Brian writes in:

Brian: I just wanted to let the listeners know about the power of coupons. My wife has been cutting coupons like crazy lately and yesterday she came home with two bags at the grocery store. She had two bottles of laundry detergent, six boxes of disposable razors, toothbrushes, four deodorants. The bill came to $75. My wife spent a dollar on it. One single dollar. Keep in mind we didn’t need any of the stuff she bought but we use all of it. We didn’t copy can but stockpiled $75 worth of supplies for a dollar. I hated clipping coupons, I always felt like it was two hours of work to save three dollars. But since my wife has been doing it, it worked out well in our favor.

Jack Spirko: I think that definitely you’re going to see that that’s the case. And I think it’s about being organized, I really do. I think that if you’re not organized, clipping coupons can be two hours of work for three dollars. But the people that are organized can do very well with it. There’s plenty of websites, I won’t go into that because I’m sure there’ll be some here for you today as resources. And again, anything you hear today that’s a link, it will be in today’s show notes. You just have to go to the site and the resources section will be quite long today. Next one comes from Greg. Greg from New Mexico says:

Greg from New Mexico: Jack, my best money saving tip is fixing things yourself. There are many items that we throw away and replace when really all they need is a small part. At worse you spend a little money breaking it more before you replace it. But I guarantee you will learn something for next time. I’ve repaired $100 headsets, drills, weedeaters, lawn mowers and of course the thousands I have saved on vehicle and home repairs. Love your podcast, keep up the great work.

Jack Spirko: I think there’s two savings there. I think one is yeah, the direct money saving thing and that’s awesome. But I think that what he said about learning something is probably just as big if not bigger. Here’s the next one, it comes from David. David says:

David: Every six months or so I will call up my cable and cell phone providers and threaten to cancel if they don’t lower my rate. If necessary I have the sales rep transfer me to the cancellation retention department. But inevitably they’ll lower my rate by 20 to 30% for six months. Rinse and repeat after the discount expires. David.

Jack Spirko: I don’t know if that’ll work for everybody all the time, but if you make one phone call every six months and get your bill cut by 20 to 30% that would definitely add up. Great one there. This one comes from Ray. Ray says:

Ray: Bar none, create, maintain, and utilize a budget. It doesn’t have to be too detailed, most of us probably have very similar expenses and income from month to month. The first couple of months are the toughest. I don’t count pennies, some people want to. But if you have $4,000 of income a month does it matter if your power bill is 25 cents more than last month? Differentiate between need and want. Mine is done in Excel but it could be a four dollar log notebook from Staples. I maintain mine by changing the value budgeted with the actual value each month. I then have a pretty accurate picture of where to start with next year. Review the budget and tweak it here and there as needed. Account for holidays, vacations, birthdays, as well as expenses that you can use the right timing to take advantage of. For instance, I budget my kerosene refill during the summer when it’s generally cheaper. Be realistic. Depending on how your debt profile allow for some miscellaneous spending and want items. Teach this to your adult children, they’ll probably still make mistakes but they’ll have a better chance of seeing how to fix things going forward. My balance at the end of the month carries over to Carry Over row in next month’s income section.

Jack Spirko: Awesome. I think that one of the biggest things we can be doing, not just for adult children, I think we should be teaching our young children how to do this. I don’t even think we should be telling them how they should spend their money. When you’re five, if you want a lollipop and you have the money for it, buy it. But budget it. Put it down on paper to see where you spent your money. I think that the biggest reason that people overspend in our world today is because they don’t know where their money goes. They just don’t even think about it. As long as they don’t run out, or as long as the credit card still has a balance on it, that they just keep spending. And I think that we can get very, very much into a runaway pattern by doing that. This next one comes from, I’ll just call him reality break cause there’s no – oh no, it’s Mario. Mario says:

Mario from California: Glad I get a chance to send some input for a show, I love it by the way. My name is Mario from California. I try to save and use everything when it comes to foods and meats. Bones and innards from chickens go into soup, except for those livers that get frozen for catfish season. Pork and ham bones get tossed in with beans or green beans, even save the fish heads and bones from a couple of trout fishing trips and made an awesome fish soup. We do a regular leftovers meal. We can try to be creative. Burritos can really be made out of anything. I know this is kind-of basic, but a lot of people don’t realize how much they throw away after they think they’re done with a meal, even when they put it in the fridge to save. A lot of it gets tossed and forgotten. Thanks for reading, I really enjoy the show. Mario.

Jack Spirko: I’ll tell you what, I never understood things like, okay there’s this old ham bone with just a little bit of ham bits left on it, people throw that away. That and some good beans and some salt and pepper and herbs and simmered until the beans are soft is one of my favorite things in the world to eat. I know fish bones and heads seem like, “I don’t really want to..” but nobody’s telling you to eat the head, right? But it actually makes a great broth. And if you take a little bit of some fillet and what have you and a little bit of the meat that comes around from behind where you don’t get when you do the filleting and a little bit of meat that comes off the bones it’s a really great soup. It actually is. I think that we have gotten a little bit snobbish in this country where we think that things like this are what poor people do. But the reality is if you look around, some of the great chefs out there are actually going back to these old, folk recipes basically. Not folk recipes, I don’t know the word I’m looking for is. But these old rural country recipes and bringing them into the modern age as fusion cuisine and people are paying big money for them because they’re actually really good. So I think learning how you can use everything is a great idea. Next one here comes from Derrick.

Derrick: Hi Jack, here are a few suggestions I use to save money. Some of them even increase my skills a decent amount as well. One: Brew your own beer and wine. Yes there’s an initial outlay of money but you can recoup costs fairly quickly. Beer and wine ingredients cost around $50 and will make five gallons. The quality is significantly better than mass-produced brews. The price is cheaper, too. Next: Don’t use the dryer. I have a line up in my basement for drying in the winter and put a line outside when the weather is nice. Make stews – meat goes a lot further in stews. You can use less. You also get much cheaper and tougher cut; long, low cooking methods so you spend less for the meat you use. Finally, learn to do things yourself. Basic repairs, electrical work, plumbing, and such that aren’t difficult. If you don’t know how, ask a friend to show you. You can pay them in beer and learn in the process.

Jack Spirko: Let me add a couple things to this thing. If you’re paying $50 for an ingredient kit for your brewing, you’re wrong. Learn to come up with your own recipes, get The Complete Joy of Homebrewing by Charlie Pappazian. That book is one of the oldest and most reliable books out there for the home brewer. Start using your own, just go buy bulk extract. If you want to learn how to do full mash brewing you can cut your costs even further by buying whole grains. But definitely don’t buy the ingredient where it has a can of malt and yeast because the yeast isn’t as fresh and your results will be better and you’ll drive your cost down significantly. Look up and learn to make a type of beer called Brown Mild. Brown Mild is an English beer that was generally drunk by people that worked in the steel mills in that part of England that was heavy into steel mills. It is like light beer that doesn’t suck and you can make a mash,  a five gallon batch of Brown Mild – in fact I have a really big carboy and I’ll make about a six and a half gallon batch of Brown Mild and that will cost me around $16 to $18. It’s a little bit lower in alcohol, just because you’re a homebrewer you don’t have to be pushing alcohol to 10% just because we can. It’s about a 4% alcohol, it’s a very refreshing beer. It’s something you can drink on a hot day. But yet it’s got some caramel malt to it, it’s got some body. It’s one of my favorite beers. So look up Brown Mild.

On the dryer thing, I’ve talked to a lot of people and there’s a lot of people suggesting that. But a lot of people, what they don’t like is when you hang clothes up on a line, even if you use fabric softener in the wash they’re not really soft. Here’s the way you get the best of both worlds: Hang it up, go up and grab it off the line, throw your dryer on the high heat cycle, throw the clothes in there, run it for about three minutes and take them out. And then that way they’ll get softened by the dryer but you’ll spend very little to actually dry them. That’s something that we’ve done when we’ve used clothes lines and we’ll probably do again now that we’re moving to Arkansas. We have a really awesome washer and dryer, brand new ones that are very, very energy efficient so I think energy efficiency out of your appliances helps too. Next one comes from, let’s see, just call him lenwood leather because – Jason is his name.

<14:32>

Jason: Hey Jack, my wife recently asked me if I thought a coupon class was a good idea. We’ve never been coupon type of people but I thought what the heck, perhaps we can save money. She then enrolled in a coupon class for $15. I didn’t think it was too expensive and could save much more money than it costed. It was good and we saw some good savings as a result of the techniques she learned. She then took a second class in a three class series and it was also great. One example of what my wife learned was to save 40% at Lowe’s, which will pay off soon as we will be building a deck over the next couple weeks. I instantly thought of you and it may be good to have this gal on the show. Her website is gatewaytosaving.com.

Jack Spirko: So this is the lady that teaches this coupon class and they can save 40% at Lowe’s alone. I need to take this class; I’m going to take this class. Again, this resource and every resource I come up with today will be in the resources section of the show notes in the order they’re presented on the air. Kay, the next one comes from David and Janelle. David says:

David: My wife’s favorite way to save money is to set up an automated weekly transfer from our checking account to our ING savings. If you have it come out a little every week it seems less painful versus a once-a-month approach.

Jack Spirko: I think I agree with that.

David: Plus if you don’t have to think about it, there’s no way to forget it. And using ING it takes two days to transfer money from your savings back to your checking account. Not enough time to miss a bill due date if you need it to cover that, but long enough that you don’t get the instant gratification from spending it when you shouldn’t. PS. Happy to hear you’re finally getting to bug out. David and Janelle, MSB members.

Jack Spirko: You know, I’ll tell you first of all: I talk about holding cash and I think there’s a place to hold some cash in physical paper in your home. And I think that that, if you have the means to, is in the neighborhood of a thousand bucks. It’s at least a couple hundred dollars in case you’re in a situation where you can’t get to your money. I think there’s also a case for having a savings account with your local bank. But the bulk of your cash savings should be with ING and here’s why: They pay a better interest rate than anybody else does. Now we all know that interest rate sucks right now. There’s absolutely no doubt about the fact that interest rates are very, very low and if you’re borrowing money that’s a good thing but we should minimize that to buying houses and cars, the only two things I see borrowing money for. But if you’re saving money it makes it very tough to save money. There’s a reason for that. The reason the feds kept the rates this low is to force people back into the market, that’s part of what’s driving the market up. That and the liquidity issue with the quantitative easing and all. But my point is that no matter what interest rate you’re getting at your local bank, you’re going to get a better interest rate from ING. So why the heck not use ING? It’s where we keep the bulk of our cash savings, I think you should too. Again there’ll be a link in the show notes along with any other resources mentioned today.

Just to give you an example of the interest. I just pulled up the site right now. They’re paying 1 percent. So that’s not great. But I was in my bank the other day and they were paying like 0.15 percent. So I’m better off if I’m going to hold some cash to get 1% on that money. Of course as interest rates do go up, and I do see that happening sometime in the near future at least a little bit, they are going to go up faster than the rest of the market. So ING, highly recommended. I also really love the listener’s approach of having an automatic reduction, let’s say once a week. Guys, if you do 20 bucks, it’s just like if I give you a $20 raise; you’ll immediately figure out how to spend it. If I take $20 a week away from you, you will immediately adapt to it, it’s not that much. That’s 80 bucks a month, that’s a significant amount of extra money saved every year. Now I think it should be bigger than that, but start somewhere. Take 100 bucks, open up an ING savings account and setup an automatic transfer. Really easy to do, actually very, very simple to do. Most of the time your local bank, you can setup a transfer from that side and just set it up and link the two accounts and transfer it over and you can set it to be a recurring transaction. Of course you can stop any time, and remember when you’re doing things like this, it’s not spending money – the money’s not gone. It’s still there. It’s just in another place that makes you less likely to spend it. That’s how we save. Let’s go to another one. Next one is from Lucas. Lucas says:

Lucas: Jack, here’s a few good idea that work for me. Number one, we buy whole pork loins for roast and chops, it really saves us a lot. $19 for ten pounds at Sam’s Club.

Jack Spirko: That’s $1.90 a pound, folks, just for cutting your own cuts. And I think you should learn meat cutting. I think that’s a skill you should have even if you just start out with buying big pieces of meat from the store and doing your own cutting that way. It’s a great way to start. Eventually you may want to learn how, if you’re a hunter and you’re going to go out and kill deer learn how to do everything. But it’s a good start and it’s a very easy way to save money.

Lucas: Number two, an idea we got from your show: We replant all of our green onions. Doubles and sometimes triples the amount of onions we get for our money.

Jack Spirko: So folks, this is easy. You get your green onion from the store, if you’re going to put it in your salad or sauté it or whatever. And that little part with the root hair sticking out the bottom? Cut about a quarter to a half inch off the end and then chop up all that white stem and go as far up with the onion part as you want, cause a green onion you can basically use the whole thing. So some people want to stop when it starts to turn darker green, some people will use all the way to the tip, some people use half – it’s up to you, personal choice.  But then take that little piece, stick it in your garden, it’ll grow right back. Within a couple weeks there’s another onion. And you just keep doing that until it finally peters out. I’ve seen it happen five, six times out of one onion. It takes seconds – you cut it off, you put it to the side instead of to the compost heap, you go outside with a stick, you make a little depression, just enough to bury it in the ground about an inch, you shove the dirt over with your thumb. That’s it. If you got good soil you don’t even need the stick, you just shove it in there. And I actually got that idea from Johnny MAX and the Queen by the way, because they were doing it with their aquaponics set up.

Lucas: Three, downgraded our cable by making use of online resources like Netflix and Hulu. Saves us about $75 a month. Number four, fill your vehicle in the morning and set pumps to the slowest setting – less evaporation and air bubbles.

Jack Spirko: Not sure on that one, that’s probably true though cause it’s cooler out and gas is very volatile and gas evaporates very quickly. If you doubt that, put a little dollop of it on hot pavement at about four in the afternoon, it’ll disappear almost instantly. Now the less air bubbles, because of that it probably makes it more accurate reading from the pump. So that’s what he’s talking about there. And that’s probably true as well. So Lucas, thanks for those tips. Those are great. Let’s go on to the next one. This is from M.B, we’ll just call him M.B.

<21:22>

M.B.: Jack, for a listener with Giant Eagle, Best Buy stores need them. I buy a plasma TV from Best Buy and saved a bundle by doing it this way, but it will work on most other big ticket items as well. When purchasing a big ticket item from Best Buy, find the item you’re looking for on the store webpage. Generally you can find an inventory number for the item you’re purchasing that has a discount for the online purchase. Purchase the equivalent funds in Best Buy prepaid cards from a Giant Eagle grocery store to get Fuel Perks if applicable in your area. I bought fuel for $1.05 when it was $3.50. I drive a Suburban so this was a godsend. You can get further discounts by selecting the Pickup at Store option, cancelling the shipping fees. In conclusion, I bought a $700 TV for $600 and knocked out 30 gallons of fuel for a little over a dollar a gallon. It’s the biggest purchase I’ve made since starting college and that $100 buys a ton of Ramen noodles. I also use the TV for a computer monitor, saving about $100 by not buying a standard LCD computer monitor. Sorry for the formatting, did this on the phone after your Twitter update.

Jack Spirko: I think that’s awesome. So basically what he’s saying is you order it through the website, so you save money right off the bat. You buy the gift cards from Giant Eagle and they have a Fuel Perks program and I imagine there’s other grocery stores that do the same thing. I bet Kroger does this for instance, I bet Tom Thumb does this. Something that goes to your rewards card or what have you. So you already save money. Then you don’t even have it shipped to your house, you pick it up at the store, but since you ordered it at the website, it cancels the shipping out. So you don’t pay the shipping fees, you get a better deal, and you get a deal on gas or whatever perk the store you buy the gift card through runs. That’s an awesome one and yeah, it only applies to big ticket items but we all do that occasionally. Next one from Josh. Josh says:

Josh: I’ve a pretty regular listener for the past year. I’ve picked up a lot from your podcast and the boards. I’m very grateful for the knowledge and I’m happy to pitch in here. My wife and I recently started watching the Extreme Coupon reality show and that got us into couponing. As a prepper I was really excited about the show, but if you watch you start to see that most of the stuff they’re getting for free is hair gel, soda, and other useless items. The methodology is pretty sound, though. Clip a bunch of coupons, organize them, then pull them out when the product goes on sale and buy as much as they will let you. Rinse and repeat. We also found that Harris Teeter’s coupon policies are pretty favorable for this sort of thing. They double coupons up to a dollar every day.

Jack Spirko: Never heard of Harris Teeter, must be a regional grocery store.

Josh: They also have an e-VIC program where each week they have special deals that you can only get with your VIC card.

Jack Spirko: And then it has a link that I’ll put in the show notes.

Josh: We’re still pretty new at this but last week we got seven different food items for nothing. I think you could do a whole show on building your food stores for very little cash by using coupons and special deals like this.

Jack Spirko: You know what, maybe I’ll get a coupon expert on the show. If you know a coupon expert, if you know a good one, send them to our guest survey form, get them to fill it out, I’ll get them on the air. I would love to have someone that really has the organized approach for couponing down, and let’s marry that to food prep, long term food storage. So eventually, if you can find me a coupon expert who’s willing to look at what we’re doing, that would be even better, and kinda tailor it to us. Let’s take another one. Here’s another one from Brad:

Brad: Jack, one thing I do is stay away from frozen food at the grocery store. The majority of items are marked up to 35% or more. Fresh meat is usually only marked up 10% to 15%. A ten pound bag of fresh chicken quarters is around $6. A frozen four pound bag of chicken drums is around $5. A frozen three pound bag of thighs is around $4. Nine dollars for seven pounds of chicken, or six dollars for ten pounds, as long as you’re willing to do a little work when you get home. Also check your grocery store in the morning, most stores mark down merchandise such as fresh meat, bread, and produce the day before they expire. Wal-Mart for example marks their meat down 35% and their plants in lawn and garden about 50 percent. Love the show Jack, thanks for all you do. Brad.

Jack Spirko: I do this myself. First of all, one of my favorite things to cook, and I still don’t always buy 100% organic meat, and one of the places I tend to make that decision because it’s so affordable is with chicken. And I love to cook chicken thighs, that’s my favorite thing to grill. And we will buy the huge packs of thighs, break them up into the number that we’re going to cook for the average meal, put them into Ziploc bags and freeze them. How simple is that? On the food that’s about to expire: On meat, here’s my view of that. If it’s something I’m going to take home and cook today, I’ll do it. I’m not big on freezing meat that’s close to its expiration date, especially beef, lamb, veal, any red meat; even pork as well. And here’s why: It’s not that I’m worried that if I freeze it, it will be bad when I cook it later on. Just usually by the time it gets there, it’s to a point where if you freeze it for any real length of time, the quality, the flavor, the texture goes down. Steak especially will tend to get tough. Now there is a way to age meat, especially beef, and to get it to improve. Wrapped in cellophane in a cooler like that is not how you do it, though. So the big thing for a large savings with the meat that’s close to expiration is when they have the big roast and stuff? Well what you do is you just get all of it. Because you can get dirt – you’re talking about a roast that’s already selling for maybe $3 to $3 a pound, and that roast is now to a point where it’s going to sell for a $1.50 a pound or something like that. When they occasionally have a big, they put it all in one bin. You get that stuff and one, if it’s good quality, lean beef you can biltong it. You just need to take it home and do it now. But the bigger thing is you cube it all up, you get your jars out, your canning equipment out, and you can that meat. And when you can that meat it’s going to be succulent, wonderful stew meat and you’re not going to have any degradation of quality because of its method of preservation and you can put it up on the shelf and it’ll last two years. And it’s way cheaper than buying the crap canned meat that tastes like crap from the canned food section. So there’s my little addition to that. Good stuff there Brad, thanks for sharing that one with us. Next one, this is from Rachel. Rachel says:

<28:01>

Rachel: Here’s my tip: Instead of buying expensive pump foam soap for the kitchen, I reuse the pump bottle and refill it with one part regular dish soap, usually you find it on sale at CVS for 99 cents, and nine parts of water. You get the same foamy soap and it stretches regular dish soap for many, many months. At this dilute strength, it also doubles as hand soap just fine, double the savings.

Jack Spirko: And then nice stuff for me. I think that’s a great one Rachel, thanks for sharing that. Next one’s from Dave. Dave:

Dave: Hi Jack. I know a lot of empty their coins from their pockets for the change jar at the end of the day, or in my case a change bucket. But one thing I started doing about a year ago was taking any singles out of pockets as well and sticking them in an envelope. I use cash for most daily purchase and will always use bills larger than singles. Some days that leaves only one or two singles, but other days it can be over ten. Every now and then I’ll even throw in a five or a ten. Once I get fifty singles I put a wrap around them and stick them in a bundle in a lock box. When I get a lot of bundles I take them to the bank and exchange them for the bigger bills. I saved over a thousand dollars in cash since I started. I keep this at home as my cash reserve. I’m pretty sure I got a tip from another blog I read called thesimpledollar.com. There’s a lot of good money saving tips there as well, as well as book reviews and some good recipes. I also like their spaghetti sauce recipe. Love the show, keep up the good work. Dave.

Jack Spirko: So there you go folks. Get your change jar, start throwing your singles in there, wad them up into $50 wads, cash them in at the bank for bigger bills and put them into your cash reserves in your home. Probably a year or two into that you have several thousand dollars at least if you did that, especially if you started paying everything with cash. And here’s the thing, it’ll almost be like magic money out of thin air. It really will. I know it seems hard to believe, but here’s why: If you start paying for everything in case instead of using your debit card, even if you’re not using credit cards, I don’t hate debit cards, they’re fine for their purpose. But if you start paying in cash – you go to the grocery store, you pay in cash – you feel it when the paper money leaves your hand. You see it go down, you automatically curb spending. No one has to tell you to or anything like that, it just happens. So you’ll have extra money. Then you start to get excited by watching it grow. So I think this is a great tip, and The Simple Dollar, again all resources mentioned today will be in the show notes, including that one. Here’s another good one, one that most people would just – I guarantee you very few people out there are ever doing this one. This comes from Decentralist, also known as Carleton. Carleton says:

Carleton: Saving beef fat. At least occasionally buy the cheap, full-fat ground beef, not the leaner reduced fat types. Cook it on a skillet in a manner where you can save all the grease. Some people throw away the grease – that is insane. George Foreman can kiss my ass. Grease is concentrated nutrition. Beef fat is the best for deep frying, much better than common peanut oil, which is relatively high in Omega-6 fats. Beef fat also lasts longer in a deep fryer for more reuse. Also, if you do some other frying oils like peanut oil, the saturated beef fat will make the combined mix of oils last longer. Because of this, I only cook steaks, not burgers, on an open flame. The same rule applies for bacon lovers. The main rule is not to use such high heat that you evaporate the grease. So you can cook bacon, burgers in a skillet, pour the grease into the deep fryer, and then make the best natural fat fries you can find. One more tip is on my blog here: Fermented Veggies – Cheap Super Food.

Jack Spirko: So I’ll put a link to Decentralist’s article on fermenting vegetables. And I think that’s another great tip. You know, I can’t say I’ve ever saved beef fat. I’ve saved bacon fat because it’s good for making white gravy. I keep that to a minimum because, let’s face it folks, the white gravy you make from bacon grease, that adds X’s to your shirt size, right? But it is really good. Frying with beef fat is something that I haven’t thought of. I always save duck fat or goose fat for frying potatoes in, and that’s just fabulous. So if you ever cook a duck or a goose, save – especially the duck – duck fat French fries are amazing. And I believe – I don’t care what any of these nutritional weenies say, human being was meant to eat meat. And animal fats are better for us than most – most, not all – plant fats. I’ll also tell you this: Carleton brings up a really great tip with frying with fats of all kinds. Do not fry at too high a temperature. Fry at a temperature high enough to make the food fry and that is all. You get so much better results than that, and next time I have some beef fat that I can reserve I’m going to start doing this. I’ll give this one a try, Carleton, thanks for that tip. That’s an awesome one. And again, there’ll be a link to Carleton’s blog post on fermenting vegetables in today’s show notes as well. I’m also going to have to try fermenting some vegetables, that sounds cool. Cabbage is in there – I’m not a big fan of kimchi but there’s some other stuff you can do as well there that looks pretty cool. Next one is from Thad. He says: