Author Topic: Bug out Motorcycle's and the Zombie Apocalypse!  (Read 2966 times)

Offline TSPMike

• Prepper
    • Adventure Touring Motorcycle
Bug out Motorcycle's and the Zombie Apocalypse!
« on: November 02, 2012, 03:30:31 PM »
I wrote about bugging out by motorcycle today on my blog if anyone cares to have a giggle. I've never heard Jack mention anything about bug out motorcycles. I think they are a pretty viable solution.  8)

http://adventuretouringmotorcycle.com/bugging-out-by-motorcycle/

Opinions?

Offline RPZ

• Survivalist Mentor
Re: Bug out Motorcycle's and the Zombie Apocalypse!
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2012, 06:57:00 PM »
Offroad a good light to middleweight four-stroke trail bike has much to offer imo. Making a speedy and timely getaway on the pavement where there might be obstacles that can not be skirted by the average 4-wheeled vehicle, taking shortcuts cross country to get around total blockages, flooding, downed bridges etc come to mind.

Within it's limitations of load carrying, very sound indeed. I'd be pretty wary of the idea in the urban setting during any civil unrest in progress though.

Offline TSPMike

• Prepper
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2012, 08:28:16 PM »
I'd be pretty wary of the idea in the urban setting during any civil unrest in progress though.

If that's the case, a Ural with your buddy in the sidecar might actually make for an interesting ride through town! But that kind of negates the maneuverability in traffic.

Offline joeinwv

• The Bee Whisperer
  • Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2012, 08:32:26 PM »
I like the Suzu DR400 - but if you have the inseam, a KLR650 can't be beat.

Offline ib71

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2012, 08:37:52 PM »
You can add payload with a moto mule. I would like to get one for my klx400. I think website was www.moto-mule.com

Offline RPZ

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2012, 03:20:11 PM »
If that's the case, a Ural with your buddy in the sidecar might actually make for an interesting ride through town! But that kind of negates the maneuverability in traffic.
Yeah with an MG-42 mounted on the sidecar 8)

Offline meapplejak

• Prepper
  • Newish TSP Forum member
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2012, 12:39:55 PM »
I like the Suzu DR400 - but if you have the inseam, a KLR650 can't be beat.

My current 2 wheel ride is a 09 drz400sm love it not too offroad worthy but great all around and tons of aftermarket
applejak

Offline Adam B.

• Dedicated Contributor
    • The Uncomfortable Truth
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2012, 01:11:49 PM »
After just riding 400 miles in 3 days on my BI-CYCLE with a 40lb load in panniers — I am going to argue that the HUMAN powered bike, while not quite as fast, doesn't require gasoline and I have gone on more than one multi-day trip like this without a single mechanical incident.

It is amazing when you can cross multiple STATES on a bicycle and sit back knowing YOU DID THAT. Granted, not everyone is going to find that enjoyable.

If I had mounted the FRONT panniers, along with the handlebar bag and under-seat bags I have, I am quite certain I can load up my touring bike's capacity to well over 100lbs — I just would not want to RIDE a 100lb bicycle. Just having to carry a 60lb bicycle up a flight of stairs wearing cycling shoes after it rained and they were slippery was not fun (but a motorcycle would be even less fun).

Bicycles are more or less SILENT too. I need to keep a bell on my handlebars just to warn people I am coming so they get out of my way as I am riding along, or else they won't hear me until I am 3 feet away.

Not saying motorcycles are not worthwhile, just another thing to consider! You get a lot of the same advantages, with some disadvantages, along with a few advantages that the motorcycle doesn't give you!

In a ZOMBIE situation — I would prefer to have a MOTORcycle.
Listen to my podcast — The Uncomfortable Truth
(shameless plug)
http://www.theuncomfortabletruth.com

Offline joeinwv

• The Bee Whisperer
  • Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2012, 07:09:31 PM »
You can ride a Rokon places you can't walk.

There was a company making diesel conversions for the KLR650 - with a big tank makes huge range. I think the military has a few of these - Marine scouts maybe. Can then be run on almost anything.

Offline Adam B.

• Dedicated Contributor
    • The Uncomfortable Truth
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2012, 07:10:52 PM »
A Willie Nelson vegetable oil motorcycle would be AWESOME, since you are never more than 5 miles from a McDonalds!
Listen to my podcast — The Uncomfortable Truth
(shameless plug)
http://www.theuncomfortabletruth.com

Offline Nate

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Expanding my skill set: studying to be a nurse
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2012, 05:55:55 AM »
There was a company making diesel conversions for the KLR650 - with a big tank makes huge range. I think the military has a few of these - Marine scouts maybe. Can then be run on almost anything.

A diesel motorcycle would be awesome!  I have a VW Tdi and I love the fuel economy I get with it.  I wonder what a diesel motorcycle would get?  I diesel motorcycle would seem like a perfect small bug out vehicle as you would probably be able to cover a long distance before refueling.
NATE

"This is the Law of the Yukon, that only the Strong shall thrive;
That surely the Weak shall perish, and only the Fit survive."  Robert Service

Offline meapplejak

• Prepper
« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2012, 12:21:27 PM »
A diesel motorcycle would be awesome!  I have a VW Tdi and I love the fuel economy I get with it.  I wonder what a diesel motorcycle would get?  I diesel motorcycle would seem like a perfect small bug out vehicle as you would probably be able to cover a long distance before refueling.

What's your actual average mpg for the tdi?  As opposed to suggested or estimated w/e.  My dad was interested in a wagon tdi a while back
applejak

Offline TSPMike

• Prepper
« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2012, 03:59:36 PM »
What's your actual average mpg for the tdi?  As opposed to suggested or estimated w/e.  My dad was interested in a wagon tdi a while back

Jack was getting about 50 when he was doing the show in his car (jetta tdi). Most bikes will get that. Some will get up to the high 70's. I'm not sure what the diesel KLR gets, but motorcycle.com did a review of a KLR(ish) bike that had a diesel in it. They couldn't get much ride time but the review is at http://www.motorcycle.com/manufacturer/2011-altius-scimitar-review-90964.html They claim 110mpg!

Offline meapplejak

• Prepper
« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2012, 05:36:15 PM »
Jack was getting about 50 when he was doing the show in his car (jetta tdi). Most bikes will get that. Some will get up to the high 70's. I'm not sure what the diesel KLR gets, but motorcycle.com did a review of a KLR(ish) bike that had a diesel in it. They couldn't get much ride time but the review is at http://www.motorcycle.com/manufacturer/2011-altius-scimitar-review-90964.html They claim 110mpg!

110 is impressive my 400cc gets 50mpg with a 4 gal tank not too bad do you know the cc on the diesel bike?  The tdi is a 2.0 or is that just the reg version?
applejak

Offline TSPMike

• Prepper
« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2012, 06:30:59 PM »
Not sure on the TDI, but the KLR is still a 650 from what I gathered. I love the idea of a diesel bike, but I'm not a fan of the lack of pars support. I suppose if you built your own from a readily available engine...but then their is transmission issues. It's not like a truck/car where you can get an adapter to mate a diesel to any tranny.

I'll stick to gas bikes. An extra gallon of fuel isn't hard to carry and it extends the range by quite a bit.

Offline M1Andy

• Prepper
« Reply #15 on: November 16, 2012, 07:57:49 PM »
I drive a 2011 Jetta 2.0 tdi Sportwagon and drive 3000/month.  For the 3rd month in row, I am averaging 41.5 mpg.  That is with a combo of 1/3 city 2/3 hwy.  Just love it.  Inspired by Jack.  Drove it to Chicago and back and averaged 45 at 65-70.  The sweet spot for mine is around 60mph.  Highly recommended

Offline joeinwv

• The Bee Whisperer
  • Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #16 on: November 16, 2012, 09:49:32 PM »
The dude making diesel KLR's for the .gov seems to have taken his contract money and bailed. Also seems you can't get the EPA to approve small diesels for street legal bikes. Kind of like how you can't get a diesel car made in America (cause who would want a diesel Ranger or Taurus).

Anyhow, if you want a diesel dirt bike, you have to roll your own. Looks like a CVVT tranny and a 450 or so cc diesel bike gets about 120 mpg. Top speed 60mph ish.

Offline meapplejak

• Prepper
« Reply #17 on: November 16, 2012, 11:49:27 PM »
I drive a 2011 Jetta 2.0 tdi Sportwagon and drive 3000/month.  For the 3rd month in row, I am averaging 41.5 mpg.  That is with a combo of 1/3 city 2/3 hwy.  Just love it.  Inspired by Jack.  Drove it to Chicago and back and averaged 45 at 65-70.  The sweet spot for mine is around 60mph.  Highly recommended

good to hear.   good numbers  :)
applejak