Author Topic: "Doghouse" for genset  (Read 1112 times)

Offline NorIDhunter

• Senior Survivalist
"Doghouse" for genset
« on: November 03, 2012, 08:56:45 AM »
Steven & Jack mentioned "these generators are not designed to work inn the rain. Make a doghouse for them".
So I am going to actually use a old dog kennel that was in my shop.

This genny is a 6kw and will be used to power my deep well pump (456').

I plan to add a couple of pieces of 2x material front/back, a length piece of 1/2" OSB shet  and some roof metal for a shed roof/ snow load. The plastic of the kennel should act as a sled for getting it through the snow and I'll add a tow rope to the back side. For alleviation of heat build up, I figure I can fasten a small fan inside and plug into one of the 120V outlets while the pump uses one of the 240V ones.

Any other thoughts or suggestions?
Thanks!
Got to keep on keepin on

Offline Oil Lady

• Lady oil lady oil la-dy hoo
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • My book needs more humor. My pen needs more salt.
Re: "Doghouse" for genset
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2012, 09:24:54 AM »
Any potential for horizontal rain?? (I lived in Florida for a time, and horizonatl rain due to wind gusts wasn't uncommon.)

Maybe you can build a second shelter around this first on, but a cruder, wood structure like a mini version of a picnic table roof or a car port.

(But I totally dig how perfectly this plastic dog house fits around your generator. The lid tilts up for easy access to the gen so you can refuel it, and the ventilation is phenomenal.) 
"This is the first scenario I've seen where I question the survivability of mankind." -- self-made billionaire Richard Rainwater in his business analysis of Peak Oil, "The Rainwater Prophecy," Fortune magazine, Dec 26, 2005

"This is an emergency far worse than World War I and World War II put together." -- CEO of Virgin Airlines, Sir Richard Branson on Peak Oil in CNN's investigative report "We Were Warned: Out of Gas" June 2007/May 2008 03:05

"We've got provisions and lots of beer. The key word is survival on the new frontier." --Steely Dan 1983

"... it doesn’t really matter who is removing your civil liberties, whether it is being done by a democratic government, a kleptocracy, a dictatorship or even the green police. When your civil rights are gone, they’re gone, and you really are in trouble, no matter how good the cause." --UK journalist Anthony Harrington, "Peak Oil and Collapse Scenarios," QFinance, September, 2011

Our parents used to say, "Don't worry, the government will take care of it."
And now our kids say, "Don't worry, the government will take care of us."

No food shall be grown that Monsanto does not own. (It all started with the disastrous 1980 SCOTUS ruling on Diamond v Chakrabarty. Petition your Congressman to revoke all patents on living things.)

"The nation that destroys its soil destroys itself." FDR 1937

The Tin Foil Hat Song by the League of Lady Conspiracists

Offline Navy_JC

• Fledgling Prepper
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2012, 08:04:49 PM »
Very cool. Sometimes it is good to take things literally.

I like the idea of the fan for cooling.  Have you given any thought to porting the exhaust so the generator doesn't ingest its own fumes?  I've been thinking dryer exhaust line with another vent fan might work.

Offline Fyrediver

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2012, 07:51:13 PM »
Just make sure the exhaust doesn't ignite the box.  I've seen people build boxes around their generators and then the gennie burns down their house after igniting the cover.

Offline microdevil45

• Survivor
  • Never Give Up...
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2012, 08:02:28 AM »
Also heat from exhaust could melt the house if not careful.  My genset has been cherry red and that would of destroyed that house.  But good idea.

Offline fritz_monroe

• The Defenestrator
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
    • The Homestead Fritz
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2012, 08:04:48 AM »
Hehe, when I first looked at photo 2, I thought the board on the left was a rifle propping up the top.

Good idea, but as others pointed out, be sure that the plastic doesn't melt or burn. 
F_M
Check out my blogs at The Homestead Fritz and Camping With Fritz

Offline NorIDhunter

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2012, 07:20:45 AM »
@ All, Thanks for the input, especially about the exhaust heat factor. Certainly wouldn't want a molten goo mass (or worse).  :o
I had e-mailed Steven Harris about suggestions for a new muffler design, since this is NOT a quiet Honda and had hoped to vent it outside as well. But I've gotten no reply from him on the subject.
So - I'll throw it out to the folks in the community. Any ideas on how to reduce the noise signature some while not affecting exhaust flow too much? Just a note that this gen is over 20 years old so "Honda" parts may be non-existent.
Maybe a used 4 stroke dirt bike muffler/exhaust and a small piece of something like double wall fireplace chimney pipe going thru the plastic? Get a fabricator/muffler shop to curve a piece of 1" or so steel tubing so there's no "90's" like with a piece of galv pipe/fittings?
Or am I overthinking this?  ???
TIA!  :)
Got to keep on keepin on

Offline microdevil45

• Survivor
  • Never Give Up...
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2012, 05:08:19 PM »
How bout one of the old tractor exhausts.  Has the flap on top to keep water out. 

Offline Chemsoldier

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2012, 06:14:40 PM »
Its a lot of work, but in the army we sandbagged around generators to reduce the noise.  It doesnt reduce noise to inaudible in a suburban "my neighbors cant hear it" sense, more of a "people two blocks over can't hear it."  You get most of the noise going up instead of out.   
"You can always count on Americans to do the right thing, after they've tried everything else"
-Winston Churchill

"You think health care is expensive now? Wait until its free!"
-P.J. O'Rourke

Offline rustyknife

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2012, 08:03:55 PM »
When I first read this I thought how cool, make a dog house with a name plate like Crusher or Mangler or some name that meant trouble if you come into my yard.... 8)

Anyway sounds like a good project.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it." Thomas Paine

"Survival is a form of rebellion, living is the punishment" Mr. Smith from the movie "The Way Back"

"Those who would give up freedom for a little security deserve neither" Ben Franklin

Ride hard as you can, rest when you die
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thouroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming "man what a ride!" Author unknown