Author Topic: WWI soldier shot in head couldn't fall asleep anymore ..  (Read 14721 times)

Offline surfivor

• Survival Demonstrator
WWI soldier shot in head couldn't fall asleep anymore ..
« on: November 03, 2012, 03:14:04 PM »
This is an interesting thing on sleep:

http://bexnarracott.blogspot.com/2009/07/paul-kern-cant-sleep.html

There was once a Hungarian man who was shot through the frontal lobe of his brain in the First World War. His name was Paul Kern and the amazing thing about him is that after he sustained his injury he never slept again. Never. Ever. And he didn't just live for one more year - Paul Kern went on to live for another forty years in good health. I know this sounds improbable but it's true. He was a medical mystery; a misfit. Instead of sleeping, he would just lie down and close his eyes and rest and nothing would make him sleep: not sedatives, not hypnosis and not drugs.

I was amazed when I read about this. I know this is an extreme case - in fact it's the only case of it's kind to be known about - but I think it's good for me to hear stories like this. My past three years of insomnia have massively impacted on my life, more often than not in a negative way. But it's impacted on my life through my own choice; through my own actions and reactions to the insomnia.

Paul Kern and his story have been largely forgotten. But he's been immortalised by a great Indie band called The Dimes in a song named 'Paul Kern can't sleep.' It's a cheerful, upbeat song and every time I listen to it I smile. I don't know the ins and outs of Kern's tale - I imagined he must have endured a great deal of suffering - but the point is this: he chose to carry on, to work, to live and to love. If a person can do this after not sleeping for forty years, three years of poor sleep is nothing!

------------------

Dale Carnigie's book on worry:

We spend a third of our lives sleeping-yet nobody knows what sleep really is. We know it is a habit
and a state of rest in which nature knits up the ravelled sleeve of care, but we don't know how many
hours of sleep each individual requires. We don't even know if we have to sleep at all!
Fantastic? Well, during the First World War, Paul Kern, a Hungarian soldier, was shot through the
frontal lobe of his brain. He recovered from the wound, but curiously enough, couldn't fall asleep. No
matter what the doctors did-and they tried all kinds of sedatives and narcotics, even hypnotism- Paul
Kern couldn't be put to sleep or even made to feel drowsy.
The doctors said he wouldn't live long. But he fooled them. He got a job, and went on living in the best
of health for years. He would lie down and close his eyes and rest, but he got no sleep whatever. His
case was a medical mystery that upset many of our beliefs about sleep.

Online LibertyBelle

• Munches with goats...
  • Dedicated Contributor
Re: WWI soldier shot in head couldn't fall asleep anymore ..
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2012, 12:21:25 AM »
All I can say is....WOW!

Online flippydidit

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Keep 'em shooting!
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2012, 01:28:55 AM »
Mr. Kern must have been a homesteader and a father.  That's my estimate based on personal experience.  Sleep is a crutch for the weak!   :excited:

I'm going to go take a nap now....... :zombie:
Nate
Military/civilian gunsmith/machinist
CEO and Founder of PermEscapes
PermEscapes
PermEscapes on Facebook

"One of these centuries, the brutes, private or public, who believe that they can rule their betters by force, will learn the lesson of what happens when brute force encounters mind and force."
— Ragnar Danneskjöld, from Atlas Shrugged (Ayn Rand)

Offline Oil Lady

• Lady oil lady oil la-dy hoo
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • My book needs more humor. My pen needs more salt.
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2012, 06:52:06 AM »
Scientists still do not understand why we need to sleep. But sleep deprivation can result in psychotic episodes, psychotic breakdowns, permanent insanity, and eventual death. (Some very unethical studies in sleep deprivation were conducted on both animals and humans during the 20th century to arrive at these conclsions. The Nazis were among those who carried out such studies on humans.) 

This man's case is certainly bizarre. 

"This is the first scenario I've seen where I question the survivability of mankind." -- self-made billionaire Richard Rainwater in his business analysis of Peak Oil, "The Rainwater Prophecy," Fortune magazine, Dec 26, 2005

"This is an emergency far worse than World War I and World War II put together." -- CEO of Virgin Airlines, Sir Richard Branson on Peak Oil in CNN's investigative report "We Were Warned: Out of Gas" June 2007/May 2008 03:05

"We've got provisions and lots of beer. The key word is survival on the new frontier." --Steely Dan 1983

"... it doesn’t really matter who is removing your civil liberties, whether it is being done by a democratic government, a kleptocracy, a dictatorship or even the green police. When your civil rights are gone, they’re gone, and you really are in trouble, no matter how good the cause." --UK journalist Anthony Harrington, "Peak Oil and Collapse Scenarios," QFinance, September, 2011

Our parents used to say, "Don't worry, the government will take care of it."
And now our kids say, "Don't worry, the government will take care of us."

No food shall be grown that Monsanto does not own. (It all started with the disastrous 1980 SCOTUS ruling on Diamond v Chakrabarty. Petition your Congressman to revoke all patents on living things.)

"The nation that destroys its soil destroys itself." FDR 1937

The Tin Foil Hat Song by the League of Lady Conspiracists

Offline surfivor

• Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2012, 07:56:17 AM »
Scientists still do not understand why we need to sleep. But sleep deprivation can result in psychotic episodes, psychotic breakdowns, permanent insanity, and eventual death. (Some very unethical studies in sleep deprivation were conducted on both animals and humans during the 20th century to arrive at these conclsions. The Nazis were among those who carried out such studies on humans.) 

Yes, but is sleep deprivation something a bit different ? Keep in mind that Kern laid down and rested. He was not able to fall asleep but he did get plenty of rest apparently. Dale Carnigie points this out because what he says is that what afflicts many people is not that hey can't sleep, but that they get worried, upset, or frustrated if they can't sleep. What he says is that if you can't sleep, perhaps just lie in bed and rest as best you can or try to get by on whatever sleep you can get in.

If I can't sleep I also like to get up and meditate. I find that meditation can effect my state of mine or my dreams when later I do sleep. It has also been claimed that there are some unusual yogis who don't sleep or sleep less than many because when they meditate they are bascialy awake but in a restful type state of peace I would say. This first article mentions swami rama. I actually have some of his books, but I just found this thing on sleep research involving him on wikipedia just now.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yoga-nidra#Scientific_evaluation

Experimental evidence of the existence of a fourth state of unified, transcendental consciousness, which lies in the yoga-nidra state at the transition between sensory and sleep consciousness, was first recorded at the Menninger Foundation in Kansas, USA in 1971.[6] Under the direction of Dr. Elmer Green, researchers used an electroencephalograph to record the brainwave activity of an Indian yogi, Swami Rama, while he progressively relaxed his entire physical, mental and emotional structure through the practice of Yoga Nidra.
What they recorded was a revelation to the scientific community. The swami demonstrated the capacity to enter the various states of consciousness at will, as evidenced by remarkable changes in the electrical activity of his brain. Upon relaxing himself in the laboratory, he first entered the yoga nidra state, producing 70% alpha wave discharge for a predetermined 5 minute period, simply by imagining an empty blue sky with occasional drifting clouds.
Next, Swami Rama entered a state of dreaming sleep which was accompanied by slower theta waves for 75% of the subsequent 5 minute test period. This state, which he later described as being 'noisy and unpleasant', was attained by 'stilling the conscious mind and bringing forth the subconscious'. In this state he had the internal experience of desires, ambitions, memories and past images in archetypal form rising sequentially from the subconscious and unconscious with a rush, each archetype occupying his whole awareness.
Finally, the swami entered the state of (unconscious) deep sleep, as verified by the emergence of the characteristic pattern of slow rhythm delta waves. However, he remained perfectly aware throughout the entire experimental period. He later recalled the various events which had occurred in the laboratory during the experiment, including all the questions that one of the scientists had asked him during the period of deep delta wave sleep, while his body lay snoring quietly.
Such remarkable mastery over the fluctuating patterns of consciousness had not previously been demonstrated under strict laboratory conditions. The capacity to remain consciously aware while producing delta waves and experiencing deep sleep is one of the indications of the superconscious state (turiya). This is the ultimate state of yoga nidra in which the conventional barriers between waking, dreaming and deep sleep are lifted, revealing the simultaneous operation of the conscious, subconscious and unconscious mind. The result is a single, enlightened state of consciousness and a perfectly integrated and relaxed personality.
Dr. Kamakhya Kumar in 2006 awarded by Ph. D. degree by Dr. A. P J Abdul Kalam (President of India) for his work "Psycho-physiological Changes as Related to Yoga Nidra". He observed six months effects of yoga nidra on some Physiological, hematological and some Psychological parameters on the practitioners and he found a significant change on above mentioned parameters. One of the research published entitled "A study on the impact on stress and anxiety through Yoga nidra; Indian Journal of Traditional Knowledge, Vol. 7 No 3".(Published through NISCAIR)
Indian clinical psychologist Sachin Kumar Dwivedi (2009) found in his research that Yoga Nidra decreases levels of anxiety. Dwivedi, S., Awasthi, S.& Pandey,B.B.(2011) found in " Yoga Nidra increased the ?-eeg on ?-eeg biofeedback. That is open scrate [secret?] that Yoga Nidra is a type of deep meditation. Nikhra,M & Dwivedi,S.K.(2010) found in a study "Yoga nidra reduces the level of Stress."

http://www.theglobalyogi.com/meditation-articles/yoga-nidra-or-sleepless-sleep/

Yoga Nidra has gained tremendous popularity within the yoga community because of its wonderful relaxation benefits. The fact that 1 hour of Yoga Nidra is the equivalent of 4 hours of normal sleep is startling, to say the least! Its ability to relax physically, mentally and emotionally even the most beginner of yoga students has meant that more and more people are learning this ancient art. In fact it is no exaggeration to say that your yoga practice is incomplete without Yoga Nidra!

http://www.crystalclarity.com/yogananda/chap13.php

"Sir, you have told me of your friendship with a great disciple of Lahiri Mahasaya. Please give me his address."
"You mean Ram Gopal Muzumdar. I call him the 'sleepless saint.' He is always awake in an ecstatic consciousness. His home is at Ranbajpur, near Tarakeswar."

« Last Edit: November 04, 2012, 08:02:43 AM by surfivor »

Offline Oil Lady

• Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2012, 08:25:31 AM »
It's my understanding that you can suffer a psychotic break from just resting and not sleeping. Somehow the brain NEEDS to shut down and reboot itself left the brain crashes. And dreaming it part of that reboot.

Studies have shown that cats and dogs dream (they have REM). And sleep deprivation studies have been re-tweeked so that instead of a wholesale denial of atual sleep, they have engaged in only denying dreams and denying REM-state. Cats denied of REM went psychotic after a few weeks and had to be put down.

There is SOMETHING in sleep that we just plain need. Not sure what. But the ability to do without it seems like a rarity [/understatement]. And I wonder just how "normal" that Hungarian man actualy was in his ability to function every day.
"This is the first scenario I've seen where I question the survivability of mankind." -- self-made billionaire Richard Rainwater in his business analysis of Peak Oil, "The Rainwater Prophecy," Fortune magazine, Dec 26, 2005

"This is an emergency far worse than World War I and World War II put together." -- CEO of Virgin Airlines, Sir Richard Branson on Peak Oil in CNN's investigative report "We Were Warned: Out of Gas" June 2007/May 2008 03:05

"We've got provisions and lots of beer. The key word is survival on the new frontier." --Steely Dan 1983

"... it doesn’t really matter who is removing your civil liberties, whether it is being done by a democratic government, a kleptocracy, a dictatorship or even the green police. When your civil rights are gone, they’re gone, and you really are in trouble, no matter how good the cause." --UK journalist Anthony Harrington, "Peak Oil and Collapse Scenarios," QFinance, September, 2011

No food shall be grown that Monsanto does not own. (It all started with the disastrous 1980 SCOTUS ruling on Diamond v Chakrabarty. Petition your Congressman to revoke all patents on living things.)

Offline cheryl1

• Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2012, 08:28:35 AM »

Here is a case where sleeplessness has claimed many victims of the same family. Until I heard this story, I didn't realize you could actually "stay awake to death".
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/6822468/ns/dateline_nbc/t/family-battles-fatal-insomnia/
I've seen the village and I don't want it raising my children.

Offline Oil Lady

• Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2012, 11:40:00 AM »
Here is a case where sleeplessness has claimed many victims of the same family. Until I heard this story, I didn't realize you could actually "stay awake to death".
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/6822468/ns/dateline_nbc/t/family-battles-fatal-insomnia/

Fascinating.

The mention of "rogue protiens" makes me wonder about the possibility that GMO plants (and also GMO-fed animals) might have their own version of rogue protiens. Studies on the ingestion of GMO vegetable matter in humans (humans eating GMO corn and GMO soy, etc) indicate that new body cells that get built inside of us after we ingest this crap are not the same -- the DNA and RNA programming in the new cells are different (and possibly defective). Now, we do not actually build body tissue from plant material per se, instead we build new tissues from protiens -- and corn and soy do have some protein in them (but meat and eggs and milk have far more protein than plant material does). So I wonder if human ingestion of GMO plants and out ingestion of GMO-fed animals could possibly increase (on what scale?? exponentially??) the occurance of rogue protiens happening in the current spectrum of human disease. 

Offline RPZ

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2012, 03:31:39 PM »
"Resting" might allow the body to physically regenerate but the psychological exhaustion from  continuous consciousness could be a problem. I suspect that Kern probably substituted a sort of "daydream" state that compensated sufficiently for him. Sleep deprivation is one of the elements used in mind altering and mind control techniques.

Offline cheryl1

• Survival Demonstrator
I've seen the village and I don't want it raising my children.

Offline surfivor

• Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2012, 09:01:52 PM »

It seems to me that sleep deprivation studies done by Nazis or others could have had sort of an element of psychological torture besides just sleep deprivation. That aspect of it could have contributed to pychotic states or emotional problems perhaps. It seems a little different to let someone fall asleep into deep relaxation and then wake them up. I am not sure how many times they would get woken up like that either ..

That article on the sleepless doctor also seems to mention Paul Kern as well ..

Offline JohnDoel

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2012, 08:11:05 PM »
I've gone a week without sleep it was not fun I started to hallucinate one night I spent two hours talking to thin air I was convinced I was having a discussion with Martin Luther King Jr. it was near the end of the sleep deprivation but I also would be walking on a patrol and I'd see a face in a tree or in or see someone sitting in a bush turn back and it'd just be a tree or just a normal bush.
If gun tape, foot powder or water can't fix it nothing can.

Offline Adam B.

• Dedicated Contributor
    • The Uncomfortable Truth
« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2012, 10:41:07 AM »
It's my understanding that you can suffer a psychotic break from just resting and not sleeping. Somehow the brain NEEDS to shut down and reboot itself left the brain crashes. And dreaming it part of that reboot.

I had no idea Microsoft was the designer of the human brain.

But seriously — I went an entire WEEK without sleep (well, I honestly believe I caught an hour or two here and there involuntarily) in art school.

I had one week to knock out a whole bunch of projects to either end up with STRAIGHT A's or FAIL.

When MOST people go to college, it is nice when you make a mistake on a term paper, hit the delete key a few times and correct the error. When you mess up a painting you've spent 100+ hours on so far, you get to START OVER (most of the time).

Each of my classes at this time were classes where your grade depended on a SINGLE PROJECT (granted you had 3 months to do these projects, but you were still juggling 6 projects during those 3 months).

It came down to the wire for me — and I came home Friday night, started working on them (working on FINISHING them mind you, I am not that bad of a procrastinator) and stayed up until the following Friday night!

I have never been able to stay up for 24hours without sleep since. I've read that I was awake WAY LONGER than one needs to be to induce permanent insanity (which explains a lot).

It felt like one big long day that would never end, and by THURSDAY I was walking around in a complete trance looking at people and thinking to myself "This a-hole has gone to bed and woken up 7 times since I got up this morning!!!!!!"

It truly felt like ONE DAY. My body and mind turned into a COMPLETE train wreck after this.

I got on a Greyhound Bus to go home for break after my last class and a few hours of celebration with friends — and fell asleep COLD not even 5 seconds after sitting in the seat. At some point people tell me I was laying across the aisle taking up 4 seats and would not even wake up when people were screaming at me and shaking me (but I did flip someone the bird who tried). I had friends with me on the bus ride and they had my back!

When I got home, of course my mother wanted to take us all out for breakfast which was AGONIZING. I could barely keep my eyes open.

I got to my mom's house (now Saturday morning around 9am) and went to sleep. When I woke up it felt like any normal day when I went upstairs to everyone yelling out "GOOD MORNING SUNSHINE!!!!"

It wasn't until they all stopped laughing at me that I realized it was Tuesday morning. I literally slept KNOCKED OUT COLD without even waking up to pee from Saturday morning to Tuesday morning.

I did not even BEGIN to feel normal again for several weeks after.
Listen to my podcast — The Uncomfortable Truth
(shameless plug)
http://www.theuncomfortabletruth.com

Online flippydidit

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Keep 'em shooting!
« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2012, 11:00:46 AM »
When I was serving in the Army, we had different ways to stay awake and alert.  From putting instant coffee into your mouth like it was chewing tobacco, to putting Tabasco sauce on your lips, cheeks, nose, etc.  However, I personally used ephedrine pills to stay awake while in combat in Iraq.  You definitely can stay awake for a week.  My body probably won't be the same, but at least I'm alive.
Nate
Military/civilian gunsmith/machinist
CEO and Founder of PermEscapes
PermEscapes
PermEscapes on Facebook

"One of these centuries, the brutes, private or public, who believe that they can rule their betters by force, will learn the lesson of what happens when brute force encounters mind and force."
— Ragnar Danneskjöld, from Atlas Shrugged (Ayn Rand)

Offline blademan

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Ask the next question
« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2012, 12:11:18 AM »
Reminds me of a bare naked ladies song called "who needs sleep"
There is a lyric that says " who needs sleep, what's that for?there's guys who haven't slept since the second world war"
 This guy went even longer. I was going to mention familial insomnia but someone else already did so I won't.
   Flippy, I went the ephedrine route too, though not in combat thankfully. And a week without meaningful sleep wasn't uncommon and I think that played a role in my sleep apnea. Things can start to get a bit rough after a few days, huh? Amazing how long we can make outselves go isn't it?
   This kinda reminds me of the story of Phineaus Gage. He suffered a pretty similar head injury, though in someways more spectacular. He had a tamping iron three feet seven inches long and 1 and a quarter in diameter, shot through his head explosively. He lived a long time aftrerward as well but had some psychological problems of still arguable degree. I don't think sleep was a problem for him but it is still an interesting case.
    Theres a story I read about a chicken that was being slaughtered and there was some kind of slip and only most of the chicken's head was cut off. You ever heard "run around like a chicken with its head cut off?" I think this was about this chicken, because this guy lived several year with just a neck, and had to be hand fed and watered. It finally choked to death on a piece of corn. Good topic.
Man's mind is his basic tool of survival.
Fear is the mind killer.

Two rules for a happy life:
1. Never sling shit at an armed man.
2. Never stand next to someone who is slinging shit at an armed man.