Photobucket

Author Topic: Toilet paper is not necessarily emergency preps  (Read 5523 times)

Offline Shaunypoo

• Dedicated Contributor
  • "He is a platypus, they don't do much." - Phineas
Re: Toilet paper is not necessarily emergency preps
« Reply #30 on: November 05, 2012, 11:54:16 AM »
It may not be the end all be all of wiping the ass, but it is my favorite and most reliable way.  It is also this way for my wife and 2 daughters, and when SHTF, I don't want any clinging to the rear end of my favorite ladies, so yes, it is important. 

Part of prepping is trying to maintain the life you have.  All of us can do things that are simpler and get used to them and this will help, but other things need to be taken into account rather than adjusted.  Wiping with Tp is one of these things.
“A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects.”  Robert Heinlein

"There's this new thing called Situational Awareness!"  Sterling Archer

Offline Oil Lady

• Lady oil lady oil la-dy hoo
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • My book needs more humor. My pen needs more salt.
« Reply #31 on: November 05, 2012, 05:34:08 PM »
+1 for what I have highlighted below. :)

It may not be the end all be all of wiping the ass, but it is my favorite and most reliable way.  It is also this way for my wife and 2 daughters, and when SHTF, I don't want any clinging to the rear end of my favorite ladies, so yes, it is important. 

Part of prepping is trying to maintain the life you have.  All of us can do things that are simpler and get used to them and this will help, but other things need to be taken into account rather than adjusted.  Wiping with Tp is one of these things.
"This is the first scenario I've seen where I question the survivability of mankind." -- self-made billionaire Richard Rainwater in his business analysis of Peak Oil, "The Rainwater Prophecy," Fortune magazine, Dec 26, 2005

"This is an emergency far worse than World War I and World War II put together." -- CEO of Virgin Airlines, Sir Richard Branson on Peak Oil in CNN's investigative report "We Were Warned: Out of Gas" June 2007/May 2008 03:05

"We've got provisions and lots of beer. The key word is survival on the new frontier." --Steely Dan 1983

"... it doesn’t really matter who is removing your civil liberties, whether it is being done by a democratic government, a kleptocracy, a dictatorship or even the green police. When your civil rights are gone, they’re gone, and you really are in trouble, no matter how good the cause." --UK journalist Anthony Harrington, "Peak Oil and Collapse Scenarios," QFinance, September, 2011

Our parents used to say, "Don't worry, the government will take care of it."
And now our kids say, "Don't worry, the government will take care of us."

No food shall be grown that Monsanto does not own. (It all started with the disastrous 1980 SCOTUS ruling on Diamond v Chakrabarty. Petition your Congressman to revoke all patents on living things.)

"The nation that destroys its soil destroys itself." FDR 1937

The Tin Foil Hat Song by the League of Lady Conspiracists

Offline KellyAnn

• Senior Survivalist
  • TSP Forum member
« Reply #32 on: November 05, 2012, 06:12:32 PM »
KellyAnn,

I understand how you could say that the hover method "could be sanitary" with boots on.  However, I'd guess that you use toilet paper.  These guys are using water bottles.  How would you manage that and stay sanitary?  Ass water runs down your body and into your socks no matter how I think it through.

I also know two "normal" latrine using Americans who have lost items out of their pockets in the latrines of Iraq during the scorching summer.  One lost his ID card, and the other lost his Gerber multitool.  They both admitted to "retrieving" the items.  From that point forward I referred to them as the "Blue Water Dive Team".

I would have let those items go and wrote them off as a loss.  In fact, if my wife fell into that hole.....I'd be single.

Yes, definitely a toilet paper user.  I have no idea how someone would use a squirt bottle in that scenario.
As for dropping stuff in a latrine, I just try to be paranoid about not doing that lol.

Offline LibertyBelle

• Munches with goats...
  • Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #33 on: November 05, 2012, 09:11:55 PM »
You all do realize that perforated toilet paper was not invented until around 1880, right?  Although to be fair, perforated "wrapping paper" came out in 1877 and no doubt some people used that.  And it wasn't until the mid 1930's that they came out with the 1st "SPLINTER-FREE" bath tissue.       

The bottom line is, you are as clean or as nasty as you choose to be...with either method.             
"If you don't read the newspaper you are uninformed.  If you do read the newspaper you are misinformed."--Mark Twain

Offline rmorganGNP

• Survivor
  • Marine Corps/Blackwater Combat Veteran
« Reply #34 on: November 05, 2012, 09:47:04 PM »
I filled up a whole xl seabag (mil duffel) with TP for the Iraqi invasion and attached it to the front of the vehicle, everyone b*****d about it, until we all got dysentary and i traded rolls for smokes (which were harder to come by!)

i gave it free to friends however!
"Silence in the Face of Evil is itself Evil:
God will not hold us guiltless.
Not to speak is to speak.
Not to Act is to Act."

-Dietrich Bonhoeffer

Offline GreekMan

• Dedicated Contributor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #35 on: November 06, 2012, 01:25:48 AM »

Japanese toilet
http://xorsyst.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/01/japanese-toilet.jpg

And not only in Japan. Squat toilets can be found in other cuntries too. they are better kown as "turkish toilets".....Its use is just like going for it outdoors. You have no contact and they clean easier too. I spent my military service using them and yuo can achieve *minimal* hygiene by hosing them.

I would have let those items go and wrote them off as a loss.  In fact, if my wife fell into that hole.....I'd be single.
Let me give you a reason to dive in.
You have access to all batallion command offices. You take a no1 at the Commander's private toilet. You belt buckle fells off and In...
(it took me less than 30 sec to rush to the doctor's get 2 set of gloves and dive for it.)

trivia:
Thomas Crapper patented the flushing toilet - with a seat - in the early 1800s

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-manchester-10644118
The Greek Preparedness Blogspot
Content in English
Facebook Page

Offline Oil Lady

• Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #36 on: November 06, 2012, 09:24:48 AM »
As many of you here know (especially cheryl :) ), I am a nursing  assistant (cheryl and Robinellli as well as a few other posters here are full fledged nurses). 

A nursing assistant is a (relatively) new professional designation. We didn't come along until the 1970's. Prior to that you just had nurses, nurses, and more nurses. And the lower-level nursing duties (the yucky grunt work aspect of being a nurse) were delegated to "junior nurses" or "student nurses" who were still new and inexperienced and/or unlicensed. 

The whole point of creating this new job slot called a "nursing assistant" was to come up with a lower-paid version of those "junior nurses." We nursing assistants get paid shit compared to an actual nurse, and there is a pretty stiff ceiling on just how high our wages can ever go. I am explainng all this because my job has been given the regrettable nickname of PAW which stands for Paid Ass Wiper. The view is that nurses do "real" nursing, but nursing assistants do the unglamorous stuff like toileting and dentures, etc. (The more objectified way of looking at it is that the nurse is concerned with the INSIDE of the body, including all the drugs and needles and wounds care, while the nursing assistant is concerned with the OUTSIDE of the body, including toileting and dressing and grooming and gettinng in and out of bed.)  The nursing assistant is very concerned with helping people to accomplish what are called ADL's which are the "Activities of Daily Living," and that includes eating, drinking, bathing, toileting, dressing, undressing, walking, tidying up your room, even soritng through your mail. These are DEEPLY personal things which easily 99% of us here in ths message forum can do with 100% independence (at this time in our lives). But as soon as you need to ask someone for help in doing these things --help with taking a damned shit!-- you suddenly  become aware of your own human frailty.

Getting all that back story aside ....

I cannot tell you how many butts I wipe in a week's time. Helping people on and off the toilet, and then bracing them with one arm while I wipe their butt with the other is one of the most common and most crucial duties in my job desdcription. And I discovered very early on that a lot of people are very particular about how they want themselves wiped. They are even particular about how much toilet paper gets used, how the paper gets gathered (some people wad it up into a misshapen ball while others fold it meticulously at each perforation, and others still wrap it round and round their hand like they are coiling up a garden hose), and the manner in which the wiping happens (front to back, back to front, one cheek at a time, etc). 

My point is that toileting is one of the most personal and intimate things a person does, either for themselves or for another person. And a lifetime of preferences as to how it is done get ingrained very early on into people.

It is hard to ask someone to change the way they toilet themselves. Little kids who have never seen a porta-potty before run screaming away from such a thing when Mommy opens the door and the kid sees the yucky stained plastic and smells those bizarre chemicals.  Elderly people (my typical client) want to wipe from back to front, even though I have been trained to wipe front to back to avoid my causing a UTI via my possibly pushing feces from the anus into the sushi vuh-jaih-nuh.

Some little kids do well on a camping trip (or even an extra long afternoon hike through the woods) where Mommy or Daddy say "We need to squat over here by this tree." But other little kids cry and insist upon holding it for however many hours it takes to get back home (most can't and either give in to the squat or they just pee/poop their pants). 

As Shaunypoo said, preventing/mitigating disruption in your life to the particulars of those activities which are VERY important to you (in other words, preventing disruption to  your own personal ADL's or "Activities of Daily Living") is IMO the very heart of survivalism. And so to me, having several cases of TP on hand is VERY important. I don't care that a case takes up as much storage space as a 10,000-BTU air condtioning unit. The use of TP is an ADL of extreme importance to me. So I will preserve that one with a very high priority.
"This is the first scenario I've seen where I question the survivability of mankind." -- self-made billionaire Richard Rainwater in his business analysis of Peak Oil, "The Rainwater Prophecy," Fortune magazine, Dec 26, 2005

"This is an emergency far worse than World War I and World War II put together." -- CEO of Virgin Airlines, Sir Richard Branson on Peak Oil in CNN's investigative report "We Were Warned: Out of Gas" June 2007/May 2008 03:05

"We've got provisions and lots of beer. The key word is survival on the new frontier." --Steely Dan 1983

"... it doesn’t really matter who is removing your civil liberties, whether it is being done by a democratic government, a kleptocracy, a dictatorship or even the green police. When your civil rights are gone, they’re gone, and you really are in trouble, no matter how good the cause." --UK journalist Anthony Harrington, "Peak Oil and Collapse Scenarios," QFinance, September, 2011

No food shall be grown that Monsanto does not own. (It all started with the disastrous 1980 SCOTUS ruling on Diamond v Chakrabarty. Petition your Congressman to revoke all patents on living things.)

Offline bcksknr

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Child of the Cold War
« Reply #37 on: November 07, 2012, 10:51:26 AM »
Ancient Rome had a large number of public toilets. They consisted of rows of seats with water running through channels underneath to carry off waste; presumably to the Tiber River. Water buckets were provided with natural sea sponge attached to a stick, for wiping. Definitely not hygienic as the sponges were in constant reuse. In a long term situation, where running out of TP is an issue, a sufficient supply of washcloths and a five gallon bucket of bleach water (prepping should include a supply of bleach for a variety of decontamination uses)  could be the modern equivalent. More-or-less an "adult diaper pail". When cloth diapers were still prevalent, the diaper pail was a staple item in most homes with infants). At some point the cloths would be washed out and reused. For those wanting a "wet wipe", another bucket of clean water could be provide to moisten the cloth before use.  I see less chance of contamination with this method. Of course some type of hand sanitizer/washing facility must also be provided. I now carry a washcloth in my BOB, in addition to "wet wipes" (for times when there is no wash water). I also carry hand sanitizer gel (which also makes a good firestarter, being mostly flammable alchohol). In a disaster, it is important to keep things as familiar and routine as possible.   

Offline sbd2112

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #38 on: November 13, 2012, 09:42:42 AM »
Really? TP the end all in prepping...I wonder how we survived thousands of years without it...lol...HHHMM..hand and alittle water...then wash hand...done and done...save the "TP money" for food, bullets,fuel.
When they turn the pages of history
When these days have passed long ago
Will they read of us with sadness
For the seeds that we let grow...

Offline Shaunypoo

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #39 on: November 13, 2012, 09:52:03 AM »
Really? TP the end all in prepping...I wonder how we survived thousands of years without it...lol...HHHMM..hand and alittle water...then wash hand...done and done...save the "TP money" for food, bullets,fuel.

No one is saying it is the end all in prepping.  But we prep so we don't have to do the bare minimum to survive.  We prep so that when something unforseen does happen, we can make as few changes as possible.  The change itself will be stressful and we prep so we can mitigate any other stresses that would happen.  If we don't store food, there will be stress trying to feed ourselves and our family.  If we don't have electricity, there may be stress trying to keep our family warm.  I don't want the stress of chaffed asses and trying to learn a new method of wiping when there are other, more important stresses to deal with.  Toilet paper is inexpensive and easy to store.  And since EVERYONE I KNOW uses it, it has value.

The end all?  No, of course not, but don't neglect something just because it can be done differently.  I would prefer to use my stash of water for hydration than washing crap off my hands.
“A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects.”  Robert Heinlein

Offline sbd2112

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #40 on: November 13, 2012, 10:08:54 AM »
No one is saying it is the end all in prepping.  But we prep so we don't have to do the bare minimum to survive.  We prep so that when something unforseen does happen, we can make as few changes as possible.  The change itself will be stressful and we prep so we can mitigate any other stresses that would happen.  If we don't store food, there will be stress trying to feed ourselves and our family.  If we don't have electricity, there may be stress trying to keep our family warm.  I don't want the stress of chaffed asses and trying to learn a new method of wiping when there are other, more important stresses to deal with.  Toilet paper is inexpensive and easy to store.  And since EVERYONE I KNOW uses it, it has value.

The end all?  No, of course not, but don't neglect something just because it can be done differently.  I would prefer to use my stash of water for hydration than washing crap off my hands.

I agree to a point however sticking to one option because it is "always done that way" or "what you know" means that there will be more stress when you RUN OUT..redundancy and flexability is the goal...learn how to clean yourself without so that when you do not have it you are ready to do it the "other way". Do you not learn to hunt because you have food stored? Do you not learn to start a fire without fuel...matches..because youhave some stored....I get the reason for the original post...however many do not think about alternatives..just read some of the other posts...
When they turn the pages of history
When these days have passed long ago
Will they read of us with sadness
For the seeds that we let grow...

Offline Shaunypoo

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #41 on: November 13, 2012, 12:27:31 PM »
I agree to a point however sticking to one option because it is "always done that way" or "what you know" means that there will be more stress when you RUN OUT..redundancy and flexability is the goal...learn how to clean yourself without so that when you do not have it you are ready to do it the "other way". Do you not learn to hunt because you have food stored? Do you not learn to start a fire without fuel...matches..because youhave some stored....I get the reason for the original post...however many do not think about alternatives..just read some of the other posts...

This whole website is about alternatives and redundancy.  Learning new skills is tantamount to survival.  Adaptability is also key.  Not one post is advocating wiping with toilet paper as the only way to do it.  They are all stating that they don't see the effectiveness of another way.  Fine, then stock up on as much TP as you want.  If you want to do and practice other ways, fine, do that, too.  Frankly, learning how to wipe my ass another way than with toilet paper is so far at the bottom of the list of skills I feel I need to learn, it is not on the list.    Comparing starting fire or catching food with wiping your ass is ludicrous.  Frankly I am disappointed in myself for wasting this much of my time on this topic.

Can I get off my soapbox now?

Offline Dainty

• Darth Dainty, Bunny Snuggler
  • Dedicated Contributor
  • Making it work!
« Reply #42 on: November 13, 2012, 01:14:59 PM »
This whole website is about alternatives and redundancy.  Learning new skills is tantamount to survival.  Adaptability is also key.  Not one post is advocating wiping with toilet paper as the only way to do it.  They are all stating that they don't see the effectiveness of another way.  Fine, then stock up on as much TP as you want.  If you want to do and practice other ways, fine, do that, too.  Frankly, learning how to wipe my ass another way than with toilet paper is so far at the bottom of the list of skills I feel I need to learn, it is not on the list.    Comparing starting fire or catching food with wiping your ass is ludicrous.  Frankly I am disappointed in myself for wasting this much of my time on this topic.

Can I get off my soapbox now?

May you never find that your skin is reacting to toilet paper. I can assure you the learning curve is steeper without backups. Just sayin'.

Since "this whole website is about alternatives and redundency", is it okay with you if we continue discussing alternatives to TP?
Death by a thousand cuts is survived one cut at a time. You never know - it may end up being only 999.

Offline Oil Lady

• Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #43 on: November 13, 2012, 02:02:07 PM »
May you never find that your skin is reacting to toilet paper. I can assure you the learning curve is steeper without backups. Just sayin'.

Since "this whole website is about alternatives and redundency", is it okay with you if we continue discussing alternatives to TP?

Honestly, my own stance in this whole thrread is the degree of ... "insistence" ... that was expressed in the OP. There was an attitude in the very first sentence of the OP which invited strong reactions. Opening the entire thread with the words "Excuse me, but" was an invitation-and-a-half.

Offline LibertyBelle

• Munches with goats...
  • Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #44 on: November 13, 2012, 02:28:28 PM »
Honestly, my own stance in this whole thrread is the degree of ... "insistence" ... that was expressed in the OP. There was an attitude in the very first sentence of the OP which invited strong reactions.

But if you step back and think about it, it's not all that different from how ants sometimes tend to come across when trying to get grasshoppers to realize that their local Wmart may not always be an option.  Ants can get pretty zealous... ;D
"If you don't read the newspaper you are uninformed.  If you do read the newspaper you are misinformed."--Mark Twain

Offline Shaunypoo

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #45 on: November 14, 2012, 02:52:56 PM »

Totally not necessary. 

Offline ChrisFox

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #46 on: November 14, 2012, 09:09:34 PM »
I've switched over to squatting and I find that I use so much less toilet paper. Roll will last me weeks now.

This is the one I use but you could just use a box laying around but it's nice to tuck it away when not in use.
http://www.amazon.com/The-Squatty-Potty-Stool-9/dp/B005GBDHS0

Offline carbon

• Prepper
  • TSP Forum member
    • The Resilient Child Book Project
« Reply #47 on: November 18, 2012, 10:50:50 PM »
haven't read all the responses but I have to say TP is an item good to have. I can do without it and use water as we used to do when I was a kid growing in a developing country. It's not as bad as it sounds to folks who have not grown used to it. THere are "techniques" so you do not waste water, so you do not spray all over and so you can do with just having your pants down and not remove it completely. Visual aid on youtube would not work for this since they are probably not that thorough on these specific things :-)
Please support my children's book on resilience and preparedness at

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1882628049/the-resilient-joneses-stop-the-flood

I am working on a children's book on self-reliance  as part of my walk to freedom. Please check it out at:
www.theresilientchildbookproject.wordpress.com

Offline Greg1109

• Prepper
  • Let's get Bendy!
« Reply #48 on: December 06, 2012, 02:37:42 PM »
Ok, someone needs to walk me thru the logistics of using a spray bottle instead of toilet paper. 

How do you dry your ass? 
DO YOU dry your ass?   
How do you know when you've done a sufficient job??   
How do you keep the tainted (no pun intended) water from running down your thigh/leg?
Would you change/alter techniques for soft vs. hard turds?

Maybe it's my diet, but I can't see how anything short of a pressure washer would do as good a job as TP.

Please help me understand.

Thanks.
Yes, yes, I know.  "Stop by the intro thread and introduce yourself.".  I'm working on that post in my head and as soon as I figure out what I want to say, i'll do it.   (I want to make a good impression)

*wonders what the inflatable goat thing is all about*

Offline Shaunypoo

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #49 on: December 06, 2012, 02:39:46 PM »
Maybe it's my diet, but I can't see how anything short of a pressure washer would do as good a job as TP.

Amen, brother.  And I am not cutting out the red meat.

Offline Greg1109

• Prepper
  • Let's get Bendy!
« Reply #50 on: December 06, 2012, 03:54:03 PM »
Amen, brother.  And I am not cutting out the red meat.

It's the taco truck that gets me every time.  8)
Yes, yes, I know.  "Stop by the intro thread and introduce yourself.".  I'm working on that post in my head and as soon as I figure out what I want to say, i'll do it.   (I want to make a good impression)

Offline Bolomark

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #51 on: December 06, 2012, 05:18:54 PM »
toilet paper
bidet
pine cones ouch!!!!!!
so many choices
i have one toilet with bidet and one the old standard. bidet all the way.simple to hook up gravity feed water supply.
wash clothes are washable and can be used on other chores once they are cleaned.
space wise easier to store washcloth's versus cases of tp.
“There is no such thing as pure good or pure evil, least of all in people. In the best of us there are thoughts or deeds that are wicked, and in the worst of us, at least some virtue. An adversary is not one who does loathsome acts for their own sake. He always has a reason that to him is justification. My cat eats mice. Does that make him bad? I don't think so, and the cat doesn't think so, but I would bet the mice have a different opinion.”
? Terry Goodkind, Wizard's First Rule

Offline Dainty

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Making it work!
« Reply #52 on: December 06, 2012, 07:42:56 PM »
Ok, someone needs to walk me thru the logistics of using a spray bottle instead of toilet paper.

Spray bottles are out. You need a steady stream of plentiful water.

How do you dry your ass?
DO YOU dry your ass?

Please don't tell me you've never before dried your posterior after a shower...  :stop:

How do you know when you've done a sufficient job??

When your posterior is as clean as if you've just taken a shower. :)

How do you keep the tainted (no pun intended) water from running down your thigh/leg?

Don't stand up until you're clean and dry.

Would you change/alter techniques for soft vs. hard turds?

???

Do you alter your showering technique based on how dirty you are?

I'm sure that can be arranged. ;)

Please help me understand.

Thanks.

This article may be enlightening.  :)
Death by a thousand cuts is survived one cut at a time. You never know - it may end up being only 999.

Offline cpf240

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #53 on: December 06, 2012, 08:22:42 PM »
As the Sears catalog is no longer printed, I choose to stockpile old phone books.   ;D
Ah, curse your sudden but inevitable betrayal! - Wash

Offline cheryl1

• Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #54 on: December 06, 2012, 09:04:32 PM »
As the Sears catalog is no longer printed, I choose to stockpile old phone books.   ;D
Wow-you still get phone books?
I've seen the village and I don't want it raising my children.

Offline TexDaddy

• TSP Goat Wrangling Geezer. He is EVIL also.
  • Global Moderator
  • Ultimate Survival Veteran
  • I live in Texas. What country are you from?
« Reply #55 on: December 06, 2012, 09:50:35 PM »
Wow-you still get phone books?
We still have a land line, so we are routinely delivered the Arlington book, the Fort Worth Book, the Mansfield book and the Dallas book by AT&T. Then, we get an Arlington full size and car size version from Verizon.

And, regardless of the suggestions on this thread and an over abundance of phone books, I am still stocking TP.
"I went down Virginia, seekin' shelter from the storm.
Caught up in the fable, I watched the tower grow.
Five year plans and new deals, wrapped in golden chains.
And I wonder, still I wonder who'll stop the rain."

...A quote from the book 'Mataroda' comes to mind:
'To do more than your best is impossible, to do less is unthinkable'
WWCD = What would Cedar do?

Offline Greg1109

• Prepper
  • Let's get Bendy!
« Reply #56 on: December 07, 2012, 06:47:40 AM »
Please don't tell me you've never before dried your posterior after a shower...  :stop:

So, there's soap and still wiping involved? 

Up until now, there had been no mention of drying, etc. 

Offline rikkrack

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Permaculture Entrepreneur
    • Wolf-Beach Farms
« Reply #57 on: December 07, 2012, 12:21:16 PM »
I remember my g-ma telling me about when she was younger, the sears catalog, newspaper and corncobs (softer than pine cones at least). Used to think she was joking when I was younger until I started prepping.

I still get phone books. Living in the city I actually get 3-4 per year from different suppliers. I wish I didn't. I have had no land line for years. We soak them in wax and use them s fire starters. Guess we should save for when the TP runs out, new repurpose.
www.wolfbeachfarms.com

Co-Founder and Educator at www.midwestsustainable.org

Aquaponics/Permaculture Entrepreneur

"You have a moral obligation to screw the government every chance you can." G-pa Wolf

Offline Dainty

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Making it work!
« Reply #58 on: December 07, 2012, 03:28:06 PM »

So, there's soap and still wiping involved? 

Up until now, there had been no mention of drying, etc.

The short answer is, it depends on the person and the setup you have.

The article I linked to explains different options and preferences quite well...