Author Topic: Advice on third firearm Shotgun or Handgun  (Read 1710 times)

Offline JohnDoel

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
Advice on third firearm Shotgun or Handgun
« on: November 04, 2012, 06:24:17 AM »
I live in Canada and have just recently gotten my Possession and Acquisition License (firearms license) and my Uncle had saved two rifles for me the two rifles are a Lee-Enfield and a .22 rifle not sure what model as he hasn't delivered it yet. I don't plan on getting the third gun immediately but I would like to have plenty of time to look at different makes and models before I buy one of them. And if you have advice on a particular make or model I would greatly appreciate it.
If gun tape, foot powder or water can't fix it nothing can.

Offline classic3030

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
Re: Advice on third firearm Shotgun or Handgun
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2012, 09:39:19 AM »
What will your main use of the third gun be?  The answer to that will help us, help you.

Based on what you have given us so far, here are two points of advice I commonly give:

(1) A shotgun is one of the best weapons for home defense and is also one of the most versatile guns for hunting.   You can hunt everything from birds to large game.

(2) When it comes to handguns, I always advise folks to get a .22 first and learn to shoot it well.  This allows you to learn to shoot well and not develop bad habits.  It also allows you to get more practice in when you move up to a larger round.  The .22 is cheaper to shoot and you will fatigue less with it, so more practice.

Offline JohnDoel

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2012, 12:35:12 AM »
I am planning on starting hunting, I would like a home defense weapon and I would like to use a handgun more often than once a year which is about how often we hold a range and do a live fire with a Browning Hi-Power. I don't actually know anyone who hunts but i do know a couple people who own shotguns and rifles and just use them at a range. So I'd like to get a handgun because I enjoyed shooting it the couple times that I have.  I'd like a shotgun because I'd like a home defense weapon, I'd also like to go hunting birds and see if the dog I got from the breeder is any good for hunting. And I have one other question is a Lee-Enfield a decent hunting rifle?

Offline toho28

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2012, 03:57:08 PM »
You're only allowed 3?

Offline cmxterra

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Bugging out in style.
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2012, 04:00:00 PM »
concordia discors

Oderint dum metuat

Offline endurance

• Dances With Newfies
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2012, 04:14:23 PM »
Are you even allowed to own a handgun in Canada?  Last I heard they weren't legal for private citizens.
"There are things that you don't question when your home always smells like baking bread."  From The Hunger Games

“No nation could preserve its freedom in the midst of continual warfare.”   James Madison

Offline microdevil45

• Survivor
  • Never Give Up...
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2012, 04:35:18 PM »
My vote would be a shotgun. 

Offline JohnDoel

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2012, 04:43:06 PM »
Handguns are "restricted" which means I had to get my restricted license which I did these are what makes a firearm prohibited in Canada, they can also just say a firearm is prohibited. And prohibited means you can't buy it or bring it into Canada but from what I understand as long as its passed down through your family you can get your prohib license and keep it.

a handgun that
has a barrel less than 105 mm in length, or
discharges a 25 or 32 calibre cartridge, but does not include any such handgun where the handgun is for use in international sporting competitions governed by the rules of the International Shooting Union,
a firearm that is adapted from a rifle or shotgun, whether by sawing, cutting or any other alteration, and that, as so adapted,
is less than 660 mm in length, or
is 660 mm or greater in length and has a barrel less than 457 mm in length,
an automatic firearm, whether or not it has been altered to discharge only one projectile with one pressure of the trigger

And I do plan on getting more than three guns but right now I only have the money for one gun

Offline endurance

• Dances With Newfies
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2012, 04:50:53 PM »
If I could legally carry concealed, a handgun would be on my list.  However, if you can't legally carry it for self defense (openly or concealed), I don't see the point in owning it.  A handgun is always going to perform less effectively than any rifle or shotgun regarding stopping power and accuracy.  The only advantage is the ability to carry it conveniently for self defense.
"There are things that you don't question when your home always smells like baking bread."  From The Hunger Games

“No nation could preserve its freedom in the midst of continual warfare.”   James Madison

Offline JohnDoel

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2012, 05:07:57 PM »
Technically I can get Concealed Carry but in practice its practically impossible the two parts required to get it that make it almost impossible are the life of the applicant must be in 'imminent danger' and police protection is not sufficient in the circumstances (a Police Acknowledgement Form signed by the local Police Chief is required) and as of 2000 only 19 have been issued in Canada and one to the head of the Coalition for Gun Control

Offline NWPilgrim

• Survivalist Mentor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2012, 09:08:32 PM »
I would get a centerfire handgun next.  When it comes to home defense it is the one you can have with you all the time, and if need be, travel with (assuming major social collapse and law enforcement has bigger fish to fry).  While that may be unlikely, the handgun is much easier to have on you than a shotgun.  Much lower profile around the homestead or house.

On the other hand the shotgun is pretty darn good, too.  More cumbersome inside the house or answering the door, and you won;t be driving with it discreetly unless total collapse.  But you can have a lot of fun shooting trap or skeet and upland or wetland bird hunting. And shotgun ranges are sometimes more abundant in rural areas, whereas handgun indoor range is more common in suburban areas.

Finally, any future restrictions are more likely to involve handguns than shotguns.  So I would get one now while you can and plan to get a .22LR handgun or shotgun next.
There have always been times like this, and there will be again. Will we rise to the challenges or get run over?

Offline Wild Colonial Boy

• Survivor
« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2012, 07:41:21 AM »
Mate, Canada is like Australia in many ways...owning hand guns in both countries is a real pain in the @*% and highly regulated. 

If you have any military service behind you or currently serve you will know that pistol skills degrade quickly if not practiced all the time and in a combat situation, pistols are the last thing you reach for due to their stopping power and accuracy.

If you are going to have a trusty battle proven Lee Enfield .303 and a .22 to practice with, your best bet is to get a Shotgun.  Its versatile and its use is similar in many ways to your other weapons.  Their my thoughts anyway.
Arte et Marte - With Skill and Fighting

Offline Scottman

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2012, 01:13:35 PM »
Can you even defend your home in Canada? I'm just wondering

Offline Torch

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2012, 01:49:14 PM »
Seems like an easy answer to me.  You've stated two primary reasons for getting a third gun.

1.  Home Defense - Neither of your two hand-me-downs are ideal home defense rifles, neither is a handgun.  Clear winner here is a shotgun.   Shotguns, in my opinion, are the ultimate home defense weapon.  Those that disagree will likely argue a semi-auto 'tactical' rifle of some sort.  Not too many people would argue that a handgun is best for home defense.  I have a very nice $1200 AR-15 with Aimpoint in my safe.  Next to my bed, though, is a $250 Mossberg 500 pump 12 gauge shotty.

2.  Hunting - A good home defense hand gun is not likely to be a good hunting hand gun. A shotgun is great for both.

Some other factors to consider based upon your situation.

1.  Canadian gun laws - A shotgun is going to be a lot less hassle for you to acquire and own.

2.  Price - You say that you've only got enough for one gun which suggest that funds are somewhat limited (at least your gun fund is).  Just about any good home defense shotgun is going to be no more expensive than a good home defense hand gun.  In the case of a pump, they will almost always be cheaper.  This will allow you to buy that 4th gun sooner.

Good luck!

Offline Canadian Prepper

• Survivalist Mentor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2012, 05:50:01 PM »
I would say get the shotgun next, since combined with the .22 rifle and Lee Enfield would at least equip you for 90% plus of the hunting scenarios that you might encounter and allow you to practice trap shooting at the range.

I'd suggest at standard pump action with interchangable choke tubes to give you max versatility. You could buy multi-barrel combinations that provide shorter barrels for defence, turkey hunting or firing slugs for deer hunting. Remington and Mossberg offer the most popular, reasonably priced combinations.

You'll probably eventually want to purchase a .22 and centerfire handgun for practicing at your club, but current cases before the courts suggest that you don't want to be pulling one of them out for defence in the home unless you're willing to go through a legal nightmare. Even with the shotgun, which does not technically have to be locked in a cabinet, you'd have to contend with the requirment to trigger lock it if kept outside of the cabinet, and either have to have the ammunition locked up or stored separately. I would highly recommend checking out some of the Canadian firearms discussion forums for more detailed advice about this than on a more general American survival board that cannot really address the legal issues at stake.

Offline Rutger

• Survivalist Mentor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #15 on: November 10, 2012, 04:38:06 AM »
I agree with Canadian Prepper... get the shotgun. The ability to have a non-restricted firearm that you can transport with you and your family without any legal hassles is a BIG advantage in my mind. I take mine on camping trips and what not (you just need to follow transport guidelines which are pretty loose IMO). All of this on top of your ability to defend you home from intruders. Better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6, but that is just my mindset.

Offline Perfesser

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #16 on: November 11, 2012, 10:13:53 AM »
I'm in Canada and have handguns but most places you have to have a permit to transport the damn thing anywhere and only be able to shoot at an approved range. That means joining a gun club, not a bad thing but extra expense.

Shotgun for sure.
I have a 12ga long barrel for hunting but my next will probably be a Mossberg youth model in 20 ga with an 18 or 20 in barrel "for the wife".
"The best weapon you have is between your ears"

Offline Bubba Zinetti

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #17 on: November 20, 2012, 01:35:02 PM »
A shotgun is more versatile by far than any handgun, as the handgun's only real plus is portability (and the ability to be concealed).  For home defense and hunting the shotgun is hands down the better choice.  You could buy a serviceable, moderately priced 12 or 20 gauge (I would recommend Mossberg but there are several that will fit the bill) pump action shotgun with an 18" barrel for home defense and extra barrels for hunting (26-28" vent rib w/ chokes for birds. etc., and/or a rifled barrel for slugs to get deer or large game) and still spend less than you would on many handguns.  Also, a shotgun has greater stopping power, and is much easier to use efficiently (and effectively) than a pistol, especially for someone who has little experience with guns.  As the old adage goes 'a pistol is to be used solely for the purpose of fighting one's way back to their rifle'.  Hope that helps.

Offline dunflr

• alias Gunkid
  • Prepper
  • BANNED for the second time
« Reply #18 on: July 22, 2013, 11:28:33 AM »
If an AR15 is legal for you, I'd trade both of the rifles on an AR and a .22lr conversion unit for it.  There is a .22lr conversion for the Browning 9mm, too, altho I would not get the browning. Its feed ramp is too steep for reliable feeding with some types of ammo. Most of them, the thumb saftey is too small, the sights suck, and the trigger pull sucks on all of them.

I'd Get a commander length 1911, .45 is easiest to find, alloy frame preferably, and get a Ciener Firearms .22lr conversion unit for it.  You can get 9mm parts for it (ejector, slide, barrel, magazine, recoil spring, rs guide, rs plug, barrel, link and pin, extractor, firing pin and spring, from Numrich Arms (Gun Parts Corporation, they have a forum) if .45 amm or reloading components are really hard to get.  The Govt model length is a bit heavy and long for concealed carry, and sooner or later you will want/need to do that.  the alloy Commander is a bit jumpy in recoil for beginners in .45, so it needs light charge reloads. to start out with.  Use the $200 .22lr unit for the first  5000 rds or so as you practice.

The shotgun really serves no purpose, other than for snob shooting of birds out of the air.  birds all land eventually, and few are worth the expenditure of a shotshell, or all that noise.  Maybe a turkey, but a turkey can be taken with the .22lr unit in the AR, and done so with much less cost or noise, too.  It's feasilbe to carry one rifle and one pistol, and a .22 unit for each. The caliber swaps take 20 seconds. So if you want to quietly pop a squirrel and not scare every deer in the woods, switch calibers.  for shtf, it's much more feasible to carry .22 ammo than  3006 or 12 ga.  The 223, using good softpoints like the Nosler Partition, work fine for careful shots at the rib cages of deer, to  150 yds or less, and at bowhunting distances, can drop moose or bears with brain shots, too. 

When you are dealing with a dog pack, a bear, a rabid animal, or men, you don't want either a bolt action or the severely limited range of a shotgun with buckshot.  a 12ga with slugs is just a very poor rifle. The ammo for it is so expensive that you wont' be very good with it, either.

Offline Pchitti

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #19 on: September 14, 2013, 10:12:15 PM »
Technically I can get Concealed Carry but in practice its practically impossible the two parts required to get it that make it almost impossible are the life of the applicant must be in 'imminent danger' and police protection is not sufficient in the circumstances (a Police Acknowledgement Form signed by the local Police Chief is required) and as of 2000 only 19 have been issued in Canada and one to the head of the Coalition for Gun Control

Why does it not suprise me that the person in charge of not allowing you to have a concealed weapon is one of the few that is allowed to carry...

I would suggest the shotgun, for your allowed use the shotgun will be a better investment. Down the road you can pick up a pistol or two and enjoy looking at it in a high security case that requires approval from previously mentioned government hack to be opened. Sorry I hate hippocrates

But then again a pistol might not be available down the road.

Offline JohnDoel

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #20 on: September 28, 2013, 10:48:18 AM »
Thanks for all the advice. I did get a shotgun it ended up being a Winchester 1300 Ranger if anyone was wondering.