Author Topic: Most Efficient Solar Panels  (Read 968 times)

Offline Chesuncook

• Fledgling Prepper
  • Woodsman
Most Efficient Solar Panels
« on: November 04, 2012, 07:53:45 AM »
Interesting new solar panel design the most efficient in the world...Reaches 33.5% efficiency.

http://www.gizmag.com/amonix-solar-module-efficiency-record/24845/

Offline cmxterra

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Bugging out in style.
Re: Most Efficient Solar Panels
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2012, 09:30:47 AM »
Woah.. that tracker they show is fricking HUGE
concordia discors

Oderint dum metuat

Offline TexasGirl

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Simple country farm girl. Prepper? What's that?
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2012, 09:48:09 AM »
I think most people look at "value" (Return Of Investment.)  These super efficient technologies will need to come down in cost to the point they are a much better value. 

Most of the installers around here will not even install trackers anymore because the cost of additional panels is cheaper than the moving tracker, which will eventually need maintenance too.

It's fun to see progress, now how long before it's competitive.* 

~TG

*(Yeah, I know...  almost nothing in solar PV is truly "competitive" thanks to government subsidy intervention, lining the pockets of friends and supporters in the name of "supporting green.")

Offline fasteddie

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2012, 11:37:18 PM »
hi, texas girl.... i was looking for the like button on your post. lol i havent been on here in a long time but i am glad to see your still here. fast eddie

Offline armymars

• Senior Survivalist
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2012, 11:18:38 AM »
Your right, cost per watt is the name of the game. If I did a tracker it would be something I moved to match the season's. Instead of a tracker how about a reflector. I saw some interesting ones in Mother Earth News back in the 70's. They're cheaper then more cells, but you still have to keep them clean.

Offline riptide

• Prepper
  • Mutton-Labe!
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2013, 11:10:14 PM »
I am not sure reflectors will help all that much, have you seen any figures on that? The panels I am looking at for a project are about two dollars a watt. Availability can be a problem too as they are relative big and easily broken in shipment.
Democracy- Two wolves and a Lamb voting on what to eat.
Liberty- One heavily armed Lamb contesting the vote, and willing to carry the fight to them.  (Baaaaaa!)

Offline armymars

• Senior Survivalist
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2013, 08:40:01 AM »
    If I set up a reflector so at some point durring the day the sun hits it and it sends the light to the solar panels, you've just gained some extra time the cells work. If you form a curved reflector so that when the lihgt strikes it no mater the angle, it will send the light onto the cells think of the gain then. These type of reflectors are used most often with hot water systems, but I've seen some strange adaptions for solar cells.

Offline Perfesser

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2013, 11:23:09 AM »
Solar panels work best at low temperatures so if you're going to concentrate the sun you need to cool the panel somehow. And usually a concentrator requires you be pointed directly at the sun ie a tracker.

I was experimenting with a large fresnel lens from a projection TV (they all have one just behind the screen). They'll take all the light hitting the 45 x 36 inch screen and concentrate it to a single point at the focal length ( 2-3 ft) but anywhere in between it's just concentrated to whatever size depending on the distance.
I set a bit of plywood at about half the focal length just to block the light so I didn't get burned while working at the focal point. In a very few short minutes the plywood was charred and smoking.
You can increase your own panel's efficiency by concentrating the light but if you go overboard you'll be melting things in no time without some kind of cooling. Either an aluminum heat sink plate or active water cooling. These will have to be electrically insulated from the panel so you don't short it out yet thermally connected to suck out the heat. 
"The best weapon you have is between your ears"