Author Topic: I keep getting painful corns on my toes from walking  (Read 2796 times)

Offline surfivor

• Survival Demonstrator
I keep getting painful corns on my toes from walking
« on: November 04, 2012, 08:00:45 AM »

I like to do alot of walking for exercise, but lately if I walk for several miles I have been getting corns on my toes. I do have some sort of solution from the drugstore that helps, but usually if I walk less it's not a problem and they go away.

Yesterday I went to martial arts class instead of doing the usual walks and I may need to do more surfing instead, but I don't understand why I get this corns when I didn't used to. I have tried different boots but it doesn't seem to matter.

It could also be from walking on pavement or flat gravel type trails perhaps.

Offline Oil Lady

• Lady oil lady oil la-dy hoo
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • My book needs more humor. My pen needs more salt.
Re: I keep getting painful corns on my toes from walking
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2012, 08:27:31 AM »
What kind of socks are you wearing? You need to prevent rubbing between your toes and your boots, and the socks provide that needing buffer against such rubbing. It doesn't sound like your socks are doing their job.
"This is the first scenario I've seen where I question the survivability of mankind." -- self-made billionaire Richard Rainwater in his business analysis of Peak Oil, "The Rainwater Prophecy," Fortune magazine, Dec 26, 2005

"This is an emergency far worse than World War I and World War II put together." -- CEO of Virgin Airlines, Sir Richard Branson on Peak Oil in CNN's investigative report "We Were Warned: Out of Gas" June 2007/May 2008 03:05

"We've got provisions and lots of beer. The key word is survival on the new frontier." --Steely Dan 1983

"... it doesn’t really matter who is removing your civil liberties, whether it is being done by a democratic government, a kleptocracy, a dictatorship or even the green police. When your civil rights are gone, they’re gone, and you really are in trouble, no matter how good the cause." --UK journalist Anthony Harrington, "Peak Oil and Collapse Scenarios," QFinance, September, 2011

Our parents used to say, "Don't worry, the government will take care of it."
And now our kids say, "Don't worry, the government will take care of us."

No food shall be grown that Monsanto does not own. (It all started with the disastrous 1980 SCOTUS ruling on Diamond v Chakrabarty. Petition your Congressman to revoke all patents on living things.)

"The nation that destroys its soil destroys itself." FDR 1937

The Tin Foil Hat Song by the League of Lady Conspiracists

Offline Frugal Upstate

• Survivalist Mentor
  • aka Jenn Fowler and Jenn @ Frugal Upstate ;)
    • Frugal Upstate
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2012, 08:48:02 AM »
Well I know my podiatrist would say that you need orthodics to align your feet better & prevent rubbing.  Your feet can change over time.  Of course-orthodics can be quite expensive--$400 or so--although I get mine through the VA for free.

Also at Walmart they have that thing you stand on now over by the orthodics that measures your foot pressure etc & recommends on of their premade ones (which run around $50).
Check out my blog: Frugal Upstate 
Frugal-Sustainable-Prepared

Offline surfivor

• Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2012, 10:54:29 AM »
Well I know my podiatrist would say that you need orthodics to align your feet better & prevent rubbing.  Your feet can change over time.  Of course-orthodics can be quite expensive--$400 or so--although I get mine through the VA for free.

Also at Walmart they have that thing you stand on now over by the orthodics that measures your foot pressure etc & recommends on of their premade ones (which run around $50).

I have orthodics which are made by a guy who worked for the military I think it was in some sort of medical type work. He charges less than most people. I had bunions several years ago and he has been making me orthodics which solved that problem. The people affiliated with pharmacies seem to charge more. He has his own business and claims he trained alot of those people. It's Aries sport bracing in the Boston area .. He was in Natick but I think he works out of Danvers now.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2012, 11:00:45 AM by surfivor »

Offline surfivor

• Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2012, 10:58:25 AM »
What kind of socks are you wearing? You need to prevent rubbing between your toes and your boots, and the socks provide that needing buffer against such rubbing. It doesn't sound like your socks are doing their job.

I either wear outdoor type sox or just your regular sox from a department store. Some of them can be cheaper outdoor sox from kittery trading post which are like $3.99 a pair. I like to have large sox collections so I don't get forced into doing laundry because I ran out of sox to wear. I just did a two hour walk on some conservation trails and my feet seem ok so far. I was wearing wicking type hiking sox.  If I try to push it too much it can sometimes occur. I am going out for another short walk. Sometimes if I do enough of these walks back to back the problems occurs, but I am not totally sure which sox it could be related to. Several two hour walks over several days in a row seems like it can cause it ..

Offline TexDaddy

• TSP Goat Wrangling Geezer. He is EVIL also.
  • Global Moderator
  • Ultimate Survival Veteran
  • I live in Texas. What country are you from?
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2012, 10:03:24 PM »
Corns are caused by constant friction between the feet and shoe.

Better socks (like was mentioned) should help a lot. I don't do cheap socks. They are not worth the price.
"I went down Virginia, seekin' shelter from the storm.
Caught up in the fable, I watched the tower grow.
Five year plans and new deals, wrapped in golden chains.
And I wonder, still I wonder who'll stop the rain."

...A quote from the book 'Mataroda' comes to mind:
'To do more than your best is impossible, to do less is unthinkable'
WWCD = What would Cedar do?

Offline surfivor

• Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2012, 06:23:05 AM »
Corns are caused by constant friction between the feet and shoe.

Better socks (like was mentioned) should help a lot. I don't do cheap socks. They are not worth the price.

I guess I'll try the better socks for the longer walks .. I never had this problem before really so I am not sure why all of a sudden it is happening to me.

Offline endurance

• Dances With Newfies
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2012, 06:31:27 AM »
Try bigger shoes.  Most people don't realize the foot spreads out over time and just because you were a size 9.5 in high school doesn't mean you'll be a size 9.5 at age 50.  In fact, I went from a 9.5 in high school to an 11 for dress shoes, 11.5 for running shoes when I was 30.
"There are things that you don't question when your home always smells like baking bread."  From The Hunger Games

“No nation could preserve its freedom in the midst of continual warfare.”   James Madison

Offline flippydidit

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Keep 'em shooting!
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2012, 06:36:10 AM »
If you're only having this problem with long walks, try wearing knee high panty hose between your feet and socks.  This is what we use in the military for long marches.  It almost completely removes sock rub.
Nate
Military/civilian gunsmith/machinist
CEO and Founder of PermEscapes
PermEscapes
PermEscapes on Facebook

"One of these centuries, the brutes, private or public, who believe that they can rule their betters by force, will learn the lesson of what happens when brute force encounters mind and force."
— Ragnar Danneskjöld, from Atlas Shrugged (Ayn Rand)

Offline surfivor

• Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2012, 08:10:39 AM »
If you're only having this problem with long walks, try wearing knee high panty hose between your feet and socks.  This is what we use in the military for long marches.  It almost completely removes sock rub.

Are there any other options or something very similar ? What if TSA questioning me as to why I have panty hose  :)

That's interesting however ..

Offline flippydidit

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Keep 'em shooting!
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2012, 09:09:40 AM »
I find that to be an unlikely possibility.  My guess is that they also wear pantyhose.....among other things....
Nate
PermEscapes
PermEscapes on Facebook

"One of these centuries, the brutes, private or public, who believe that they can rule their betters by force, will learn the lesson of what happens when brute force encounters mind and force."

Offline surfivor

• Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2012, 09:40:28 AM »

Can you have circulation problems because what if they tend too be tight ? What holds them up so they don't fall down ?

Offline flippydidit

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Keep 'em shooting!
« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2012, 09:57:21 AM »
Well I've never had the too tight problem.  They stretch pretty well.  To keep them from sliding down, I wear the knee high hose with knee high socks in combat boots.  Once I've pulled the hose and socks all the way up, I fold some of the hose over the top of the sock.
Nate
PermEscapes
PermEscapes on Facebook

Offline surfivor

• Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2012, 10:04:51 AM »

This is all interesting. A guy at the outdoor told me that the toes can rub together and that socks where important, but I don't really feel any rubbing or discomfort building up to before when the corns form it seems like.

I don't really notice any obvious huge difference in different socks either in the way they feel, except the wicking socks don't seem to absorb moisture.

Offline TexDaddy

• TSP Goat Wrangling Geezer. He is EVIL also.
  • Global Moderator
  • Ultimate Survival Veteran
  • I live in Texas. What country are you from?
« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2012, 10:31:38 AM »
Try bigger shoes.  Most people don't realize the foot spreads out over time and just because you were a size 9.5 in high school doesn't mean you'll be a size 9.5 at age 50.  In fact, I went from a 9.5 in high school to an 11 for dress shoes, 11.5 for running shoes when I was 30.
This is so very true. I went from wearing 10.5 for years to having to wear size 12.
"I went down Virginia, seekin' shelter from the storm.
Caught up in the fable, I watched the tower grow.
Five year plans and new deals, wrapped in golden chains.
And I wonder, still I wonder who'll stop the rain."

...A quote from the book 'Mataroda' comes to mind:
'To do more than your best is impossible, to do less is unthinkable'
WWCD = What would Cedar do?

Offline LdMorgan

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #15 on: November 05, 2012, 11:02:53 AM »
From a completely different angle...

People change as they get older. Frequently those changes are due to deficiencies in trace elements, vitamins, or other nutritional basics.

If you are having foot problems, you might want to try Hyaluronic Acid as a nutritional supplement. 

I've used it for years, and it seems to make quite a difference in skin, eyes, and connective tissue generally.

One thing it apparently does is help cells avoid dehydration. So it's good for skin & skin-related problems.

It'll stop heel-cracking in a New York Minute. My wife says it turned her hair curly (go figure!).

I store all my ammunition under my bed. That way I can get to it quickly, and if there's a fire I can escape through the roof.

The Fifth Horseman of the Apocalypse is an accountant. He will balance your books.

Offline surfivor

• Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #16 on: November 10, 2012, 02:57:51 AM »
 I think I have some decent wicking sox, but I just bought 6 pairs of EMS lightweight coolmax crew sox that are $13/pair but 25% off and I bought another pair of the same kind medium weight. They say on them for hiking, cycling, everyday and the girl that worked there recommended them to me after I explained I would like a decent wicking sox and the $20 smart wool ones seemed a bit pricy.

I like to have plenty of extras so I don't have to do laundry alot, and I like several of the same kind so matching them is less difficult.

I just put some of these new sox on and they feel comfortable. I'm getting ready for my late night stroll here at 4:00 AM. I like it when it's quiet out at this time of day and there are less cars on the road and of course I woke up and need the exercise and fresh air that I don't get at my desk job. I am hoping that the corn problem won't get in the way anymore.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2012, 03:07:57 AM by surfivor »

Online nelson96

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #17 on: November 10, 2012, 11:11:18 AM »
Well I've never had the too tight problem.  They stretch pretty well.  To keep them from sliding down, I wear the knee high hose with knee high socks in combat boots.  Once I've pulled the hose and socks all the way up, I fold some of the hose over the top of the sock.

+1 Flippy that's a great idea.

@ surfivor
Besides flippy's idea (love it and will try it myself) you might want to invest in a better pair of shoes/boots.  A pair too tight or a pair too loose can cause corns.  Also, any boot that doesn't fit your foot right will have pressure points, pressure points can cause corns, so pay particular attention to this (choose the right width for your foot too). 

If you're wearing an all leather boot . . .  Fill the boot with hot to warm water.  Let the water soak in real good and then go on a walk or hike that is long enough for the boot to dry out during this exercise (change socks often during this).  This will make the leather shrink and fit to the contour of your foot as the leather dries. . . .  It's an old logger trick.

Choose a boot designed for the temperature of the day.  If it has too much insulating value for the temperature of the day your feet will over sweat and this will cause corns (cary extra socks).

Use only form fitting socks.  Pay the money required to get a good pair, this will pay dividends at the end of the day and be worth way more than you paid for the socks.  Good socks tend to last longer too.
“There are few things more pathetic than those who have lost their curiosity and sense of adventure, and who no longer care to learn.”
 ~ Gordon B. Hinckley

One hundred thousand generations of people lived and ate as hunter-gatherers, and only two generations have grown up on highly processed fast foods. . .  It's not too late

Offline ciaralawrence

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #18 on: December 10, 2012, 03:18:31 AM »
Usually the pressure and increased friction due to wearing of shoes is the main reason for this problem. It skin thicken in response to the friction. Proper shoes and padding really helps.

Offline RitaRose1945

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Asking the uncomfortable questions since 1964
« Reply #19 on: December 13, 2012, 07:26:22 PM »
I walk all day for work (I read utility meters) and at one point was walking anywhere between 5 and 20 miles a day, 5 or 6 days a week.  I've been doing it or more than 5 years now, so you do learn some tricks of the trade.

I normally wear a women's size 8 or 8.5 US, depending on the shoe.  For my work boots (standard issue hiking boots from Big 5 - I catch them on sale for half price at $40) I buy a men's size 7.5 US, which translates to a women's 9.5 or 10 plus some additonal width.  I honestly go that much bigger, and I've been doing it for years.  I use standard athletic socks with the no-seam toe and it works great.

Being that they're high tops, you canget away with a little bigger without the heel sliding all over the place.  The only problems I've had were when I tied them too tight, but that's a no brainer.

For men's shoes, see if you can go up a half size or even a full size, and/or maybe try a wider shoe.  Your toes really do need to be able to wiggle around a bit.  Just don't get them if they slip around on your heel.  That's the fastest way to a nasty blister.

Offline Perfesser

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #20 on: December 20, 2012, 12:37:25 PM »
Doesn't anyone else douse their feet and shoes with baby powder?
"The best weapon you have is between your ears"