Author Topic: no serial number/no registration AR?  (Read 1342 times)

Offline spooky-1

• Survivalist Mentor
no serial number/no registration AR?
« on: November 04, 2012, 09:10:29 AM »
think this is possible? without getting into trouble or breaking some kind of law. i know according to the vid, it is, but has anyone done this before? built an AR from scratch, and i do mean  scratch

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=30i_6awxEG4
Light, Lean, Lethal.
This is my aim

Offline cmxterra

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Bugging out in style.
Re: no serial number/no registration AR?
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2012, 09:27:59 AM »
You can roll your own. Just make sure it is NFA compliant from what I understand.
concordia discors

Oderint dum metuat

Offline classic3030

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2012, 12:45:36 PM »
I have been looking into making a gun using an 80% receiver.  There are kits for AK's, AR's, 1911's, and 10/22's that I know of.  This is the first I have seen of an AR-10. 

I want to get a better drill press than what I have now.  Something heavy duty.  I may even look into getting a mill too.  I think this would make a cool project.

There are also build parties where you can get a group together and split up the cost of the jigs needed, headspace gauges, and other equipment that is needed.

Offline Torch

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2012, 08:40:08 PM »
What exactly are you wanting to do?  Build your own AR or own an AR that the gubmint doesn't know you own?  If the latter, just buy from a private party and no paperwork changes hands.

Offline spooky-1

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2012, 04:58:23 AM »
want to do both, but the thought of really "building" it intrigues me
Light, Lean, Lethal.
This is my aim

Offline pokeshell

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Against the assault of laughter nothing can stand.
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2012, 03:05:43 PM »
What exactly are you wanting to do?  Build your own AR or own an AR that the gubmint doesn't know you own?  If the latter, just buy from a private party and no paperwork changes hands.

I have been trying to do this in MN for 5 years. Easier said than done in some areas. I have came across some junky shotguns (dirty, scratched, poorly stored), and 2 junk 9mm handguns. 1 Kimber for 2k that had stolen serial numbers.

Gun shows here do not allow sales without paperwork done, and they do not let people walk around with stuff for sale.

PokeShell

”I have a very strict gun control policy: if there’s a gun around, I want to be in control of it.”
~Clint Eastwood

Offline inconel710

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Not-so-New TSP Forum member
    • My 13Skills Blog
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2012, 03:09:49 PM »
I have been trying to do this in MN for 5 years. Easier said than done in some areas. I have came across some junky shotguns (dirty, scratched, poorly stored), and 2 junk 9mm handguns. 1 Kimber for 2k that had stolen serial numbers.

Gun shows here do not allow sales without paperwork done, and they do not let people walk around with stuff for sale.

Is there a good gun forum in MN?  I've been on forums in MD and CO and had good luck dealing with long time members with good reputations.  It's all about the community.
"You can have peace. Or you can have freedom. Don't ever count on having both at once." R.A.H.

My 13Skills Blog http://improvingeddie.wordpress.com/

Offline cmxterra

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Bugging out in style.
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2012, 03:46:29 PM »

Google MNguntalk

Or check the home town forum on AR-15.com
concordia discors

Oderint dum metuat

Offline Duc1

• Survivor
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2012, 01:29:38 PM »
Why would you want to do this?  It would be cheaper to buy a lower.  If you are worried about a "list", buy one from an individual.  There  are no registration rules or anything.  I don't know, it seems cheaper and easier to stay on the legal side.  Good luck.

Offline Muddyboots

• Danger: Do Not Inflate
  • Survivalist Mentor
  • Hoodlum's Ambassador
    • Hood's Woods- the Hoodlums Forum
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2012, 02:14:31 PM »
It is a matter of perspective and local "Terrain." IF you are stopped with an AR with NO number on it, you will go to jail and lose the gun and probably any vestigial gun rights you have. It's legal? "Tell it to the judge." You will end up having to prove you were legal, at great expense.

The Hoops of an unmarked are required by a series of already questionable circumstances. In the end the Law doesn't care about The Law...

Make private purchases and STFU. Cache a couple.

HTH.

Muddyboots
Communication is a Survival Skill.

Shared pain is lessened, shared joy is increased!
Thus do we refute entropy.
-also-
It is better to be poor in a healthy economy than rich in a dying economy!
 -S. Robinson

Offline ncjeeper

• Most Noble Order of the Garter Snake
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • Oooops!
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2012, 04:06:59 PM »
You can roll your own. Just make sure it is NFA compliant from what I understand.
Yep. You do have to put a serial number on it.
The early bird gets the worm.....But the second mouse gets the cheese.

Offline trekker111

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2012, 05:22:19 PM »
Yep. You do have to put a serial number on it.

and the gun is yours forever, it can never be sold or transferred to another individual, when you decide you don't want it anymore, or you die, it has to be destroyed.

Offline sixth_man

• Fledgling Prepper
« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2012, 07:44:39 PM »
There is no legal way to have a firearm with no serial number, this is a fast way to end up in federal prison. The way to make the gun difficult to trace LEGALLY is to buy the weapon from a private citizen. Currently sales between private citizens require no formal paperwork, however short of big bro trying to round up guns based on registration this gives you little benefit. Big bro is smart enough to realize that these laws have made gun databases unreliable. I understand where you are coming from but would focus on good hiding places for your hardware and claim that you sold your weapons if confronted with this situation, this law can benefit you in either way.

Offline backwoods_engineer

• Survivalist Mentor
  • A geeky American country boy with an AR-15 slung o
    • Backwoods Engineer's Blog
« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2012, 09:12:57 PM »
You can finish the machining on a lower receiver, but according to federal rules (USC Section 922) you have to mark it with a serial number.  As someone else said, you're not supposed to transfer it, but in theory you could "give" it to a family member or friend in a private transfer, because a) you're not making money on it, and b) it's not an FFL transfer.  But I ain't a lawyer.

I have a 0% lower from DS Arms that I intend to machine this year.  I am going to put my last name on it, with serial number 1.  I plan to keep the gun until I die or become incapacitated, then give it to my son.  That's what I'm doing.  You should make sure of the law before you take my advice.