Photobucket

Author Topic: 24 hour bag completed!  (Read 1228 times)

Offline Doomtrooper

• Prepper
24 hour bag completed!
« on: November 05, 2012, 07:47:40 PM »
Ok so finally completed my 24 hr bag as pictured here, I actually ended up using an old MOLLE II woodland bag I had in storage and a few other things I manged to pick up over the past few months or had laying around the house. As always please comment and let me know where I could improve upon the pack.

So now the list
MOLLE II woodland bag
Woodland Canteen pouch
First aid kit in green pouch

Clothing
1 wool hikeing boot socks
1 t-shirt tan
1 underwear gray
1 Green Popper tactical pants
1 black fleece watch hat
1 pair black gloves
1 marpat bandanna
1 gray Shemagh

Sanitation
1 pack of wet wipes
3 single use wet wipes
1 hand sanatizer 
1 Mre style toliet paper square

Food
1 Datrex 3 day food bars
1 Neapolitan Ice cream bar (freeze dried)

Equipment
2 bottles of Water purification tablets
1 50 rounds of 9x18 Makarov
2 25 round boxes of 9mm
2 Light sticks 8 hr
1 head lamp
1 5" survival knife w/sharpening stone
1 pocket knife
1 multitool
1 box of waterproof matches
1 match book (from mre)
1 lighter w/green duck tape wrapped around it (approx 3 feet) 
1 50ft of foliage 550 cord
1 50ft green 550 in knot
1 can opener pocket
2 plastic bags   
1 Deet bug spray
"Since it is likely that [children] will meet cruel enemies, let them at least have heard of brave knights and heroic courage."- C. S. Lewis

"I want to be best remembered for my deeds and actions" -ME

"Will yourself to stand ready and courageous on the battlefield. In this way, all that is difficult or dangerous will be yours."
- The Way of the Samurai

Offline CTsurvivalist

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
Re: 24 hour bag completed!
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2012, 09:09:40 PM »
Looks great. Excellent for 24hrs. Blood clotter? (quikclot)

Offline Doomtrooper

• Prepper
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2012, 10:17:46 PM »
In the first aid kit, well working on that afraid I leave that still on my vest. But do have two packages of celox that I got from the walmart outdoor first aid kits with a pair of Israeli pressure bandages and stuff for small cuts and scrapes.   
"Since it is likely that [children] will meet cruel enemies, let them at least have heard of brave knights and heroic courage."- C. S. Lewis

"Will yourself to stand ready and courageous on the battlefield. In this way, all that is difficult or dangerous will be yours."
- The Way of the Samurai

Offline ncjeeper

• Most Noble Order of the Garter Snake
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • Oooops!
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2012, 11:54:38 PM »
Water
Emergency blanket.
Poncho
Add some more food and snacks.
Lose some ammo.Bullets are heavy. One loaded spare mag per gun should due unless you are really expecting trouble.
The early bird gets the worm.....But the second mouse gets the cheese.

Offline GeddyFlea

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
    • GeddyFlea Living The Dream
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2012, 12:29:04 PM »
Yeah, I was going to say water as well. I bought the Datrex brand of 4oz water packets which can take extreme temperatures and can take some abuse as well. Got 'em from Emergency Essentials, a case of 64 for under 20 dollars I believe.

Offline NassPrep

• Prepper
  • Ask me about modern security prep.
    • Prepared Security
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2012, 12:45:23 PM »
Two items I would add are garbage bags and tinfoil. The bags have many uses including covering your pack, disguising items as garbage so nobody takes them, extra carrying bags for game or food, etc. The foil can be used for cooking, reflection of heat, creating of small devices (utensils), etc. I wrote a small blog post on it today, preparedsecurity.com/blog
Owner-Operator of PreparedSecurity.com

Offline Doomtrooper

• Prepper
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2012, 12:54:45 PM »
NCjeeper
Just as I read this someone who was cleaning out their gear let me know he had a spare Woodland camo poncho, picked it up this morning no cuts or holes in it only a little fading around the hood.Bingo on the water don't think one canteen their will cut it,Blanket I will get today before heading into work. I always pack extra ammo guess that mindset of "Their will always be more trouble" never goes away.

GeddyFlea
I'll look into it seems something good to have on hand at the house

Nassprep
Added, quick trip down stairs now two black 55 gal trash bags and about 3-4 ft of tinfoil in a plastic bag.

- The Way of the Samurai

Offline bcksknr

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Child of the Cold War
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2012, 11:41:25 AM »
I'm curious about the amount of pistol ammunition you've packed. Not that I disagree with the amount, but I'm wondering how much makes sense for a relatively short-term bag. I assume this bag, being designated for "24hrs." is purposed to get you to your vehicle (from work?) or back to your home (if your vehicle is out of commission). I would want to have more substantial supplies in a bag that I would evacuate from my home with. Self defense is an important consideration, but do you realistically see yourself in a situation where you would need 50 rounds in that short period of time? I keep a smaller amount of pistol ammunition in my "get back to the truck" bag (basically a scaled down 24hr. bag; more than EDC). I have more firepower in my vehicle and much more at home. I would trade some of that weight and space for more shelter, water, fire, firstaid, etc. items. Just my opinion!

Offline Texasbound

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2012, 02:40:35 PM »
I would also like to add a roll of quarters to that list.  Great for vending machines, regular purchases, meters, car wash, pay toilets, etc.  I usually just get one from the bank.  They are wrapped in plastic sleeves most of the time and dont come loose easily.  My 2 cents

Online endurance

• Dances With Newfies
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2012, 05:10:27 PM »
As some others have brought up, depending on the purpose of the kit I'd want to throw a little bit more weight and space toward keeping warm, dry and comfortable.  A nice wool sweater or poly-blend sweatshirt would certainly be on my list.  Something to build a shelter and like a drop cloth or extra-large space blanket.  Ideally, you'd also have a way to heat water to make a cup of coffee, tea or bullion.  If you've ever eaten a high calorie ration like the Datrex, you'll want some options to go with it, particularly if you'll be hunkering for a while.

I also absolutely agree, you need water and ideally a way to purify more.  I'd add either purification tablets or a filter bottle.
"There are things that you don't question when your home always smells like baking bread."  From The Hunger Games

“No nation could preserve its freedom in the midst of continual warfare.”   James Madison

Offline Chemsoldier

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2012, 10:06:33 PM »
If you are going to carry the 1 quart canteen and its case you might as well add the canteen cup to the ensemble.  Then you can heat water and make soup, tea, coffee, etc.
"You can always count on Americans to do the right thing, after they've tried everything else"
-Winston Churchill

"You think health care is expensive now? Wait until its free!"
-P.J. O'Rourke

Offline Doomtrooper

• Prepper
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2012, 01:32:16 AM »
Guy's thanks for the advice waiting until next pay check to pick up a few of the things ya'll have listed. Now to work on the 72 hr bag!

- The Way of the Samurai

Offline JohnDoel

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2012, 03:09:11 AM »
Just my .02 i try to avoid having any camo stuff especially if it's going to be my get out of town bag. In town camo won't do much for avoiding detection and it will only attract the attention of people who will want to take your stuff of course if you don't live in a big city like me that probably doesn't matter. And what kind of vest do you have are you talking about a tactical vest with mag pouches? And lastly I'd advise more socks and maybe some foot powder if not in the 24 hour bag in your 72 hour bag.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2012, 03:26:53 AM by JohnDoel »
If gun tape, foot powder or water can't fix it nothing can.

Offline Adam B.

• Dedicated Contributor
    • The Uncomfortable Truth
« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2012, 10:27:18 AM »
I second the canteen cup suggestion. It fits snugly around the canteen and the canteen still fits in its pouch!

ALSO, I HIGHLY PREFER METAL water carrying canisters vs PLASTIC — why?

The first time you need to boil water in a plastic bottle you will know why!

Take that from the guy who had to boil water in a frying pan with no pour spout because his dumb ass only had plastic water bottles on a canoe trip!
Listen to my podcast — The Uncomfortable Truth
(shameless plug)
http://www.theuncomfortabletruth.com

Offline bcksknr

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Child of the Cold War
« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2012, 08:54:35 PM »
I noticed that you have "Celox" coagulant that you purchased at Walmart listed. I also bought a couple of those small kits. As I now understand it, the use of that powdered form of coagulant is heavily frowned upon. Apparently, and I think because of earlier military use of this type of "bloodstopper", if the granules get into the blood stream (as could happen by dumping the powder into a major wound), life-threatening blood clots can form and kill you. The military has gone to an impregnated gauze "bloodstopper" that can be stuffed into a major wound and then topped off with a compression bandage. With the gauze, there is no chance of a clot forming elsewhere in the body as a result of migrating granules. I disposed of the "Celox" powder packets. If you think you might need this type of first aid I suggest you look into "Blow Out Kits" or "VOK's (Ventilated Operater Kits). The gauze is much more expensive, but it won't kill you.

Offline Mister Dark

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #15 on: November 08, 2012, 10:16:13 PM »
Good start on a short term kit! I would consider this a Get Home Bag, for what its worth.  A few questions for ya.

Why 9x18 AND 9x19 ammo?  For personal defense, either the mak or a 9x19 would be more than sufficient, do you carry both calibers daily?    If not, I would say pick one or the other, and/or ditch the spare ammo on one of them and plan on it being the back up, last resort weapon.   (for my GHB I pack 2 spare mags for my Glock, plus 25 spare rounds)

Also, and especially with cold weather coming, I would look at beefing up your shelter and coldgear setup.  2 or 3 ways of reliably making fire, some kind of space blanket or better, maybe even a tarp or small tent? Anything to give you at least a few hours of sleep, regardless of weather.

What do you have for water containers?  Even for my ghb, I use a stainless 1L bottle, plus a 1L platypus water bag. Water purification tabs are great, but they can fail. (trust me on that, they lose effectiveness over time, and eventually become nothing more than a way to color your water)  Get some way to have multiple paths to safe water.

Also, good job on the plastic bags.  I usually carry 2 or 3 on every outing I do, and I wind up using them 75% of the time.  More valuable than tinfoil...
Build a man a fire, and he will be warm for a night. Set a man on fire, and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

Offline Doomtrooper

• Prepper
« Reply #16 on: November 09, 2012, 12:01:26 AM »
JohnD
Using what I got on hand, but valid point for the time being I will keep using the bag because I got it at little cost with its bigger brother the fullsize MOLLE II rifleman bag. The vest I am talking about is something I use to train with, that is not pictured or carried with me on a daily basis.

AdamB.
Ok no prob got to wait on that though, and any clue where I could even find metal canteens?

Bcksknr
The first aid it is not really ment for being a blow out kit per-say, may need to upgrade it to just that. Also keeping the celox for JIC, also may just get one of the quick clot trama pak.

Mister Dark
Why both? Well I tend to carry either a 9x19 or a 9x18 CCW pistol depending on the weather/where am I going/what am I wearing. To be honest the total weight of both items is less than a pound so carrying a bit extra I really don't mind. Yea already eyeing up something for the cold weather so will add appropriated clothing, water containers I will have to look into but as I have said before can only get a little at a time and working with what I got. 

- The Way of the Samurai

Offline JohnDoel

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #17 on: November 09, 2012, 04:27:28 AM »
Instead of a metal canteen i would get a metal canteen cup you can probably get one at a surplus store and if you want to know what I mean by canteen cup google images works great
If gun tape, foot powder or water can't fix it nothing can.

Offline bcksknr

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Child of the Cold War
« Reply #18 on: November 09, 2012, 09:02:58 AM »
Just a few quick tips, with winter coming on. In the warm months I keep two gallons of drinking water in the truck. I use medical grade plastic jugs. These would burst if they froze. In the winter, I use those emergency foil packets (about 4 oz. ea.) in my vehicle stores. They are short filled in such a way as to account for expansion when frozen. They won't burst. A case of them is a little more than a gallon, and takes up less space. I figure in the winter I could melt snow for water anyway, so the packets can be thawed and used also (on the engine if necessary). They do have an expiration date, but I think as long as they are sealed they should last a really long time. Now would be a good time of year to go through all of your gear and look for supplies that could burst (liquids) or be ruined if frozen. My BOB/GBH bag stays in my truck and can be subjected to freezing temps. I always use lithium batteries because they have the best power profile in the cold. Also, My primary water filter has a ceramic element that could crack if frozen when wet. I have to be mindful of that. Since I keep my BOB/GBH stuff in the truck, I can afford the luxury of warm winter clothing, pac-boots and a 20 below sleeping bag (I kind of used a "bush pilot" mind set when setting things up). Another thought is to degrease/de-oil firearms that will be stored in sub-freezing temps. This time of year I clean my 870 truck gun and use dry teflon instead of petroleum lubes. Semi-autos can be sensitive to cold-thickened lubricants. One last thing; don't underestimate those little 'shake and bake" handwarmers. I've been in situations where my fingers were so numb I couldn't light a fire to save my life. A couple of those warmers dropped into your gloves can make all the difference.   

Offline Adam B.

• Dedicated Contributor
    • The Uncomfortable Truth
« Reply #19 on: November 09, 2012, 10:28:13 AM »
AdamB.
Ok no prob got to wait on that though, and any clue where I could even find metal canteens?

The local army surplus store has tons of them. They carry both the plastic and metal ones. The one I have feels like aluminum which could melt in a fire if you aren't careful, but is certainly going to be good enough to boil water. If it has a plastic cap just make sure to keep it away from the fire obviously. They are cheap too. I think a metal canteen / canteen cup / pouch / and Alice clips to attach it to my pack were about $10 +/-

I also use the metal water bottles you can get at WalMart etc etc — but I make sure they are stainless steel and not those aluminum ones with the special coating inside — and I also make sure they are plain metal and not painted, because that is just going to make a mess when and if you need to boil water in one.
Listen to my podcast — The Uncomfortable Truth
(shameless plug)
http://www.theuncomfortabletruth.com