Author Topic: Would you eat Crow anytime or only in real survival? or never? Crow is a scave  (Read 12046 times)

Offline caverdude

• Survivalist Mentor
  • larrydgray.net
    • blog dot Larry D Gray dot net
Would you eat Crow? anytime? never? only in survival situations? I mean the catfish is a scavenger and most of us eat catfish. I noticed that crow season was in when I camped a few days ago.

Offline LibertyBelle

• Munches with goats...
  • Dedicated Contributor
Nope, wouldn't eat it.  Nor would I eat catfish, or pork, or shellfish (shrimp, lobster, clams, etc) or anything else not listed as a clean food in Leviticus.  Oh, I didn't always eat this way.  I have raised pigs, rabbits and turtles, and have eaten them as well as 'gator, snake, squid, octopi, and a host of other "unclean" animals, and I enjoyed most every bite. And as the result, I ended up with debilitating health issues and a list of prescription meds that ran in the thousands of dollars per year.  But since I've been eating clean, things have been slowing but surely getting better...so much better that I'm now down to only one prescription, and even that's not every day.  And I've since learned enough about wild edibles that, unless I'm stranded in the middle of a desert or on a ship in the middle of the ocean (I rarely venture past the tri-county area, much less the state), I won't have to resort to eating the other in order to survive.  :) 

Offline chickchoc

• Survivalist Mentor
I think I'd eat most any kind of critter in a real survival situation. 

I'm assuming the meat would be mostly "dark" similar to other wild birds.  We have absolutely enormous crows around here that fatten on all the roadkill, especially deer and raccoon. 

I also suspect that quite a bit depends upon how it is gutted, bled, and cooked as to its palatability.   That being said, I don't know if the meat tastes "funny" or not.   

Has anyone eaten crow or other nontraditional wild birds?  My father said his family ate a lot of pigeons during the Depression in the '30s and they were just fine, although he said young birds were less "gamey" than older ones.

Offline Chemsoldier

• Pot Stirrer
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
I have eaten crow far more than I would care to...or did you mean literally?

We could also go Doctor Suess.

I would not eat crow in the rain, I would not eat crow on a train.
I would not eat it here or there, I would not eat it anywhere.

Offline Cooter Brown

• Survivalist Mentor
    • The Regular Guy Review

As Montgomery Gentry says, "there one in every crowd and it's usually me". I've been trying not to say that for over 8 hours; thanks for getting me off the hook.

Offline LibertyBelle

• Munches with goats...
  • Dedicated Contributor
My father said his family ate a lot of pigeons during the Depression in the '30s and they were just fine, although he said young birds were less "gamey" than older ones.

Young pigeons and doves are both excellent, although tend to prepare more gourmet rather than country style as there is not a lot of meat to them.     

Offline NWPilgrim

• Dedicated Contributor
  • New TSP Forum member

You do remember how that story ends? "I do like green eggs and ham, Sam I am!"

Offline pokeshell

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Against the assault of laughter nothing can stand.
Have/would. Shrugs.,,, ;) Not that weird.

Offline flippydidit

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Keep 'em shooting!
I'm pretty sure with the level of outright lying in marketing and advertising that the chicken we used to buy from the store was probably crow.  Or armadillo.  Anyhow, I'm a fan of tasty animals and do not discriminate.  All are welcome next to the potatoes.

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
  • TSP Supreme Galactic Ant
  • Dont wait for the storm to pass, dance in the rain
    Sing a song of sixpence,
    A pocket full of rye.
    Four and twenty blackbirds,
    Baked in a pie.

Ok.. a crow is not is not blackbird, but crows are not just scavengers either. On average in my area, they eat 22 field mice a day. Crows are omnivorous, and their diet is very diverse. They will eat almost anything, including other birds, fruits, nuts, mollusks, earthworms, seeds, frogs, eggs, nestlings, mice and carrion. Chickens are omnivorous/scavengers too. I would not have a problem eating a crow in a rural area.

Cedar

Offline Shaunypoo

• Dedicated Contributor
  • "He is a platypus, they don't do much." - Phineas
I, for the most part, avoid eating animals that basically eat filth.  That includes most crustaceans, bottom dwelling fish, etc.  Scavengers don't have the same stigma with me, but they are not at the top of my food choiced, either.  Most of my outlook comes from multiple zoology classes which gave me an aversion to bottom feeders.  You are what you eat, right?

In the right scenario, I would eat any non-human animal.

Offline luke

• Anarchocaprivore
  • Survivalist Mentor
I have been thinking about it, trying new things, ya know. I tried groundhog this year in Chili and it wasn't bad. Actually it was pretty good. We caught some other animals in our groundhog traps and released them, but I was debating it... I don't know if I'd want to eat crow, but I'd definitely eat it (cooked) in a survival situation. I'm not sure about some others... things we have on the farm are raccoons, possums, and coyotes, all things I am hesitant to eat. Crow, and skunk, too and maybe a few others, but in a survival situation, gotta eat!

Offline blademan

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Ask the next question
Yes, hungry enough and with a way to kill it I would put it in the pot.
 That being said, I have recently reevaluated what animals I will eat as normal food. I love octopus too but its off the list now. And crow would be too if it was commercially available or something I hunted. It boils down to how intelligent the animal acts.
   I have seen a lot of studies showing the amazing intelligence of both crow family birds and octopodes. And along with whales and dolphins, the are on my list of animals that I will not actively hunt or consume for other that survival reasons as opportunity arises.
   Example, crows have been caught on camera in Australia, standind at cross walks with nuts they have collected, waiting for the light to change, walking out onto the cross walk with people, dropping the nuts as they go, and crossing to the curb. Then they wait as the cars run the nuts over, cracking them open. Then they wait for the light to change again, walk out and eat the nutmeat.
  Octopodes have been documented to climb into crab boats, (yes from the water.) open the hold and help themselves to the crabs.
 They have also left their tanks in laboratories and crawled across the lab to the holding tank for their food, (live crabs) opened it, removed a crab, closed the food tank, crossed the lab again, got back in their tank and closed it and enjoyed their snack.
   Elephants have cemetaries for their dead and visit them to do only what can be described as reminiscing. They have also been known to destroy a village killing no one but the poachers staying there who had killed one of their group earlier. They have also been known to swim in the ocean for fun. So that's off the list too.
  Sorry this got a little off topic. But I guess I would eat crow only if really hungry.
   Oh, here's another fun fact, a spider collector I was reading about told of a tarantula he had in a mayonaise jar who figured out how to unscrew the lid from the inside.

Offline 4bull

• The Pumpkin Whisperer
  • Survivalist Mentor
I shot a crow as a boy the old one walked me down to it ,told me how to clean it.
then how to cook ,and watched the whole time . down to the last little piece you kill it you eat it.

inbox485

Young pigeons and doves are both excellent, although tend to prepare more gourmet rather than country style as there is not a lot of meat to them.     

Is there a reason rabbit would be unclean? IIRC they aren't listed in Leviticus, but by all accounts they are about as clean as it gets (far cleaner than chicken for example). Heck even their poop is clean. Just curious.

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
  • TSP Supreme Galactic Ant
  • Dont wait for the storm to pass, dance in the rain
Is there a reason rabbit would be unclean? IIRC they aren't listed in Leviticus,

Biblically you are banned from eating rabbit if you are hardcore Christian. Deuteronomy 14:7
"Nevertheless these ye shall not eat of them that chew the cud, or of them that divide the cloven hoof; as the camel, and the hare, and the coney: for they chew the cud, but divide not the hoof; therefore they are unclean unto you."

However, with all respects to Deuteronomy, rabbits don't chew their cud. Rabbits practice coprophagy. Which in rabbits is consumption of its own feces at night which is produced differently (it is softer and not a round poo). They need to do this to put the good bacteria into their cecum. But Deuteronomy would probably frown upon that anyway.

Cedar

Offline atherts

• Survivalist Mentor
  • TSP and Guinness Supporter
    • Karott Productions
If that is all that is available, cook it long, add lots of seasoning and freeze dried veggies and enjoy. It is better than going hungry.

Offline bcksknr

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Child of the Cold War
In Wisconsin, we have a hunting season for crow. According to the DNR, game animals with a hunting season are assumed to be consumed. No animal is to be hunted for "pleasure". As an ironic aside, we also have a dove season, which is the official state "Bird of Peace". Maybe they thought it was "Pieces". We also just completed our first wolf hunting season. After a successful program to reintroduce the wolf, the DNR now has a season to kill them! I don't know of anyone with a good recipe for wolf. So much for "you kill it, you eat it". I've shot farm pigeon and they are quite delicious. If I felt that I had to hunt crows, I wouldn't hesitate to eat them. Regardless of what they feed on, it has been digested and chemically altered in the process to form muscle tissue (the edible part). Many food-source animals eat a diet that seems distasteful (bugs, ticks, worms, larvae, etc.), but we humans fry them up with mucho gusto! I'm not a Christian, so Biblical food taboos don't really set me back. Not that the Bible isn't a great source of wisdom, but IMHO there's also alot of advice to do things that are illegal, immoral, inhumane or just plain foolish in today's world. No offense meant toward anyone's beliefs! I guess its up to the individual and the situation. I'd rather saute up a nice skillet of crow breast meat with onions, garlic and a little splash of wine, than eat a handful of raw earthworms as some of the "survival experts" espouse!

Offline Dawgus

• Dedicated Contributor
 While I've never tried crow, I would if I was hungry enough. I've tried worse things-muskrat, raccoon, opossum; so why not. We have a crow season here in Ohio as well.

Actually, catfish aren't scavengers either. That's a myth. They're actually the most advanced hunter in fresh waters. They have advanced senses of smell and hearing beyond any other freshwater fish. They are omnivores, and are opportunistic, but are far from nothing but scavengers.

Just doing a quick Google search, I clicked on the first link while searching "crow recipes".
http://bertc.com/subfive/recipes/threecrows.htm

Offline joeinwv

• The Bee Whisperer
  • Survival Demonstrator
Would not be my #1 choice, but birds typically are tasty. And big enough to be worth the effort. I would want it to be cooked well done.

As to biblical foods, don't those rules get tossed if you are christian - new covenant and whatnot...

Also, most of those rules were based on sanitation - with modern food prep and sanitation, you eliminate cross contamination issues.

Offline Spirit Wolf

• Survivor
I have never tried crow, and while I have no particular interest in doing so, I also have no aversion to it. If I had a dead crow (or had a legal opportunity to take one) and I was hungry, I wouldn't hesitate.

Offline ttubravesrock

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Born to be an Alaskan
I may try crow, but I would never kill or eat a raven. They are too smart and vengeful.

Offline blademan

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Ask the next question
Just a word of advice, and you may not have meant it this way spirit wolf, don't eat dead things you didn't make dead or don't know the provenance of. Prion disease is one example of why not to do this. Its not so much the idea of getting what killed them after cooking, if you cook most things correctly they are safe to eat, but its the handling and processing where the danger comes in. Not chiding you at all, just passing things I know along.

Offline Shaunypoo

• Dedicated Contributor
  • "He is a platypus, they don't do much." - Phineas
  Actually, catfish aren't scavengers either. That's a myth. They're actually the most advanced hunter in fresh waters. They have advanced senses of smell and hearing beyond any other freshwater fish. They are omnivores, and are opportunistic, but are far from nothing but scavengers.

Actually, other than the Flathead Catfish (Pylodictis olivaris), all catfish are primarily scavengers.  It is true they are opportunistic but since they are negatively bouyant they stay near the bottom and will eat anything that goes in their mouth.  While this does include live fish, mostly detritus, invertebrates, and other stuff rotting on the bottom is what gets eaten.  This is not necessarily a bad thing.  Even the mighty Great White is a scavenger.  It is also a deadly killer when need be. 

http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/huntwild/wild/species/catfish/

Crow:  I would prefer not to but will if the situation calls for it. 

Offline LibertyBelle

• Munches with goats...
  • Dedicated Contributor
As to biblical foods, don't those rules get tossed if you are christian - new covenant and whatnot...

No more than would the Ten Commandments.  And technically it is the Renewed Covenant (B'rit Chadashah).  ;D

And despite modern sanitation And the unclean meats of Deuteronomy 14 and Leviticus 11 (was it purposely mentioned twice just to make sure we "get" it?) are giving people problems still to this day. Catfish, while may be delicious, are also high omega 6 which increases our risk for blood clots, and can cause/exacerbate arthritis, inflammatory bowel disease, etc.  Pork is another thing high in omega 6.  Not to mention, swine share many of the same diseases as humans, and those diseases are transmittable, including hepatitis. There is also a very strong correlation between pork consumption and MS as well as liver disease. BTW, there are people in the US who are still coming down with trichinosis, despite the pork being thoroughly cooked.  Those are just two "meats", but you can find many unbiased studies that document serious health issues in the other "unclean" meats (i.e., don't expect unbiased factual information on pork from the Pork Producers Association ;) ). 

So while I don't question the yummy taste of "unclean" foods, there are "clean" foods I like even more, such as a perfectly grilled steak, or pan fried chicken.  But throwing all health issues aside (although why anyone would is beyond me), on the chance that the rules that were set down way back then still apply today, why even risk it when there are so many delicious,  healthy and live sustaining "clean" meats He has given us to eat?  JMHO. :) 

Offline luke

• Anarchocaprivore
  • Survivalist Mentor
I don't care, I'm still eating my bacon!  ;D

Offline cmxterra

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Bugging out in style.
I don't care, I'm still eating my bacon!  ;D

Damn right.

Offline pokeshell

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Against the assault of laughter nothing can stand.
Yes, hungry enough and with a way to kill it I would put it in the pot.
 That being said, I have recently reevaluated what animals I will eat as normal food. I love octopus too but its off the list now. And crow would be too if it was commercially available or something I hunted. It boils down to how intelligent the animal acts.
   I have seen a lot of studies showing the amazing intelligence of both crow family birds and octopodes. And along with whales and dolphins, the are on my list of animals that I will not actively hunt or consume for other that survival reasons as opportunity arises.
   Example, crows have been caught on camera in Australia, standind at cross walks with nuts they have collected, waiting for the light to change, walking out onto the cross walk with people, dropping the nuts as they go, and crossing to the curb. Then they wait as the cars run the nuts over, cracking them open. Then they wait for the light to change again, walk out and eat the nutmeat.
  Octopodes have been documented to climb into crab boats, (yes from the water.) open the hold and help themselves to the crabs.
 They have also left their tanks in laboratories and crawled across the lab to the holding tank for their food, (live crabs) opened it, removed a crab, closed the food tank, crossed the lab again, got back in their tank and closed it and enjoyed their snack.
   Elephants have cemetaries for their dead and visit them to do only what can be described as reminiscing. They have also been known to destroy a village killing no one but the poachers staying there who had killed one of their group earlier. They have also been known to swim in the ocean for fun. So that's off the list too.
  Sorry this got a little off topic. But I guess I would eat crow only if really hungry.
   Oh, here's another fun fact, a spider collector I was reading about told of a tarantula he had in a mayonaise jar who figured out how to unscrew the lid from the inside.

Can you make linky?

Offline blademan

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Ask the next question
I will look around and see what I can find. Trying to remeber all the things I know and where I know them from is a bit more than I try to do, so I will have to do the research again. The crow stuff is pretty recent, so it should be easy to find. Will put it on my to do list.

Offline blademan

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Ask the next question