Author Topic: After the election - are you changing your preps?  (Read 19368 times)

Offline FrugalFannie

• Dedicated Contributor
After the election - are you changing your preps?
« on: November 07, 2012, 04:47:25 AM »
Due to the election results are you changing your preps?

Are you going to be more or less likely to prep?

Are you adding something you didn't think you needed before?

Is there anyone in your life who you think will become a prepper as a result of this election?

Has your level of urgency changed?

Offline Alan Georges

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Still trying to reason with hurricane season.
Re: After the election - are you changing your preps?
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2012, 05:52:56 AM »
Not really.  The biggest personal impact for me will be the heat I get from some family because I voted for Johnson.  (As if that made a spit in hurricane's worth of difference in my deep-red state.)  If Romney had won, they'd shrug off my Johnson vote.  Now as it sits, they're angry, looking for an excuse, and in an upside-down way with them my credibility has taken a nose-dive.  I won't be able to talk to them about anything substantive, including prepping, for a long while.

An article over at Zero Hedge published just before the election predicts what we should prepare for, no matter yesterday's outcome:
http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2012-11-06/election-2012-how-winner-will-destroy-america
Summarizing the articles bullet points:
  • He will continue the policy of dollar devaluation.
  • He will continue extreme government debt spending.
  • He will support and expand on wars in the Middle East.
  • He will lock down the web and limit free speech.
  • He will erase American civil liberties.
  • He will embrace a globalist dynamic and abandon American sovereignty.

I can see (1) & (2) happening, 100%.  (3) will happen, but it won't get the blazing coverage in the news that it would had Romney been elected, so it will be more likely to spin out of control.  (4) will be more difficult to force through, but who knows.  We've already lost the press, maybe they'll find a way to shut down dissent on the net.  (5) will continue, the slow frog boil will not change pace.  With a D still in the White House, the mainstream press will continue to look the other way.  (6) will also continue, call it at a 75% level to leave a shred of cover for the administration.

All of this has been going on for a while.  The only change now is that the administration may feel that it can get away with more sudden moves.  That could backfire on them, but it could also put more pressure on us, sooner.  So other than a generally heightened sense of caution and a rift with some family, no, yesterday's results changed very little for me.

Offline rikkrack

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Permaculture Entrepreneur
    • Wolf-Beach Farms
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2012, 06:04:22 AM »
Yes, Wife and I decided to ramp up our debt payoff to be able to buy property and be more independent of the systems, and stop feeding the monster that keeps demanding more in taxes. We can do our part and find every way we can to stop contributing to the taxes while provide for our family. Hopefully next year have our own business.

We plan on buying less, bartering more.

We plan on spreading the self reliant and self sufficient livestyle and educate as many as we can. One more enlightened ant is one less grasshopper coming to our door.

Offline Shaunypoo

• Dedicated Contributor
  • "He is a platypus, they don't do much." - Phineas
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2012, 06:17:26 AM »

Is there anyone in your life who you think will become a prepper as a result of this election?

The only thing for me is the level of urgency.  My belief was that the country was going to continue down the financial path regardless of who was elected.  If anyone but Obama was elected, it would slow down moderately but still happen.  If Obama was elected, it will accelerate.  Since we woke up with the status quo this morning, I have no hope that the path we are on will change for the better, so I am accelerating my preps.  And considering how FEMA has handled the last two major disasters (Katrina and Sandy), I have no hope for when a truly national disaster occurs.

Offline flippydidit

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Keep 'em shooting!
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2012, 06:37:46 AM »
We aren't changing our preps, just adjusting our financial focus.  Our next major purchase is going to be in ammunition.  We discussed a few days ago what to do with this coming paycheck.  We wanted to be flexible so that we could "adjust fire" depending on the election outcome.  Now that we know, we want ammunition to be number one since it will skyrocket in price, and become largely unavailable for the next 6-8 months (according to what happened last time).

Offline microdevil45

• Survivor
  • Never Give Up...
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2012, 06:59:01 AM »
Just going to stay focused and stay the coarse.  The only thing that changed is the day.

Offline TexDaddy

• TSP Goat Wrangling Geezer. He is EVIL also.
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Forum Veteran
  • I live in Texas. What country are you from?
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2012, 07:09:09 AM »
We are just going to keep on keeping on with it.

Offline atherts

• Survivalist Mentor
  • TSP and Guinness Supporter
    • Karott Productions
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2012, 07:36:32 AM »
Same prepping, just stepping it up a bit. The cliff is coming faster or they will stave it off and the fall will be harder. Either way, extra preps won't hurt.

Offline riptide

• Prepper
  • Mutton-Labe!
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2012, 07:38:01 AM »
Going to continue to trade Fed script notes for hard assets. The only difference in the medium term is the timeline to the point that other countries will continue to buy US Treasuries. The point we reach that will just happen sooner.

The 47% prostituted themselves for an Obama phone and a government check, add to that the Unions, and the environmental left, and collectively they just stomped on the accelerator reducing the time before we will hit the wall.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2012, 08:55:16 AM by TexDaddy »

Offline Bob Spelled Backwards

• Survivor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2012, 07:48:06 AM »
Doom and gloom is a weak position to mentally put yourself in so be positive instead.

Same course for me as before, not a big deal.

Offline CharlesH

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Hope is a method...
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2012, 07:49:37 AM »
Since nothing has really changed, neither has my outlook or preps.  I'm still committed to developing a multigenerational more sustainable lifestyle for the family.  I was already invested in land, already putting money into improving the farm, already learning and teaching self sustainable skills for myself and to the family, etc.  Grid lock in Washington is not a bad thing in my opinion.  The opportunity to correct our debt crisis with anything less than heavy inflation is probably past anyway.  Once we start seeing that the current dead cat bounce in the economy has some legs, I'd expect inflation to kick in at a much higher rate.  I think that was going to happen regardless of yesterday's results.  Charles

Offline Roundabouts

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2012, 07:53:48 AM »
We aren't changing our preps, just adjusting our financial focus.  Our next major purchase is going to be in ammunition.  We discussed a few days ago what to do with this coming paycheck.  We wanted to be flexible so that we could "adjust fire" depending on the election outcome.  Now that we know, we want ammunition to be number one since it will skyrocket in price, and become largely unavailable for the next 6-8 months (according to what happened last time).

We had the same conversation here.  Yes I remember when the shelves were empty of ammo.  4 different stores and all had bare shelves!  Yet nobody in the store could really tell me why.  That scared me to the core of my being.  Just like when I was 16 & St Helens blew the first time.  I saw the plume mushroom cloud and thought we had just been nuked.  Red Dawn flashed into my head. 

Seeing those empty shelves is what really "woke" me up.   I did tell hubby that we also need to stock up on reload supplies. 

Other than that I think Sandy has made me revaluate our prep plan more than the election. 

Offline ID_Joker

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2012, 07:56:42 AM »
Was going as fast as  could.  Still going as fast as I can.  :)

Offline thequestion

• Prepper
« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2012, 08:23:46 AM »
Only a slight change; more high-cap mags and ammo before another ban or restriction is imposed.  Otherwise, everything else is still the same.

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
  • TSP Supreme Galactic Ant
  • Dont wait for the storm to pass, dance in the rain
« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2012, 08:48:55 AM »
My belief was that the country was going to continue down the financial path regardless of who was elected.

Yeppers.

Cedar

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
  • TSP Supreme Galactic Ant
  • Dont wait for the storm to pass, dance in the rain
« Reply #15 on: November 07, 2012, 08:54:36 AM »

No. Other than trying to get Z on the land he is in the process of buying

Same as normal.

Just more livestock, but it has always been on the plan.

I doubt it.

Nope. Continue as I have been

Cedar

Offline Adam B.

• Dedicated Contributor
    • The Uncomfortable Truth
« Reply #16 on: November 07, 2012, 08:56:50 AM »
Sorry — I can't see changing how you prepare for the future when the future will be exactly the same regardless of which ass clown wins the election.

Offline thefuzz1290

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #17 on: November 07, 2012, 08:58:15 AM »
On of my co-workers buys brass in bulk, cleans it up, and sells it....all of his stuff sold on gunbroker.com at 10pm and so far today he's had 75 e-mails from previous customers asking when the next batch would be ready. So ammo sales are up, and I'm sure gun sales are too.

That being said, I'm going to ramp up my ammo buying until I get at least 2000 rounds for my rifle. I have a feeling ammo control will be happening well before gun control...make it expensive to shoot, no one will buy guns.

Offline archer

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Survival Veteran
  • #ImissAmerica
    • Journey to Greener Pastures
« Reply #18 on: November 07, 2012, 09:47:05 AM »
The only thing for me is the level of urgency.  My belief was that the country was going to continue down the financial path regardless of who was elected. 

as Shaunypoo and Cedar say, either way this was going to happen. same coin, different faces.
I am just going to keep prepping and preparing.

Offline cmxterra

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Bugging out in style.
« Reply #19 on: November 07, 2012, 09:56:02 AM »
More reloading supplies.. but that was the plan already

Offline dwhoppy

• Survivor
  • "Be Prepared!"
« Reply #20 on: November 07, 2012, 10:08:27 AM »
Looks like good excuse to buy another hand gun,,,,, with lots of hi-cap magazines, and stock up on amo before prices go up.

Everyone see how the stock market liked it? Down 350!

Offline bcksknr

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Child of the Cold War
« Reply #21 on: November 07, 2012, 10:19:43 AM »
The situation our nation is in took a while to create (yes I believe intentionally) and there is plenty of blame to go around. If it can be fixed, it will take time. As long as both parties are primarily interested in making the other look like a failure, in order to gain votes and power, nothing will get done to turn things around. I see it as two enemies sitting in a boat, each drilling holes in the bottom to sink and drown the other. The sad part is the other innocent folks on board will go down with them. My family is as well prepared for a variety of disaster scenarios as we've always been. We will continue to prepare as always. Keep in mind that when a society crumbles, it usually never comes back. In all of human history there is a string of mighty empires that only exist now as ruins and exhibits of broken artifacts in museums. Those people were the same as us, with the same emotions, dreams and needs. All it took to bring them down was the arrogance and greed of a self-enriching ruling class. Unless our government can be changed from looking like two toddlers squabbling over the same shiny toy (and I don't hold out much hope for that), I see us going down the path once followed by ancient Babylon, Egypt, Greece, Rome, etc. But, we will keep on doing what we can, day by day.   

Offline PrepperJim

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Prepping Means Resiliency and Redundancy
« Reply #22 on: November 07, 2012, 10:27:41 AM »
I was going to hold off buying an AR but I will accelerate that along with 10 high capacity magazines. I just hope that I am not too late to get some current stock. I am taking off tomorrow and Friday to accomplish this goal.

Otherwise, more of the same. More silver, more ammo, more food. Rinse, wash and repeat.

Offline NWPilgrim

• Dedicated Contributor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #23 on: November 07, 2012, 10:41:03 AM »
Not changing any preps yet.  Still doing as much as we can every month.  Neither candidate was addressing the economic issues so our fate has been sealed for some time.

I am disappointed though that as a country we aren't even trying to change course.  We just voted to put the pedal to the metal as we go over the financial precipice.  The reality doesn't change but the attitude was reinforced.  This has got me to reconsider a relocation and more of a "going Galt" lifestyle.  Our plan so far has been to stay in our house in the suburbs and prep the est we can and keep our well paying jobs. 

But I have always felt my high tech job is at risk when the economic collapse happens, so we had relocation to cheaper, more rural land as Plan D.  It would have to be across state or out of state to be really cheap subsistence. That would mean leaving our church community of friends, being even further away from family, especially my elderly mother, and of course income would be a big issue.  The goal would be to sell our equity in the house, cash out the 401K, and then find a place and manner to live so cheaply we no longer contribute to the tax base and just stay low on the radar.  That still requires some income so that is the sticking point right now.  I have no idea how I would do that. We are too young (mid-50s) to qualify for our retirements.

Does anyone currently live like this?  That is living on very cheap land, not getting any govt assistance, having enough income for basic food, equipment, fuel, etc but not so much you pay taxes or get hassled by regulations, etc.?  Or are there any good books or articles you know of that explain how this is done.  For you country folks this may sound stupid, but I have always worked at jobs my entire life for subsistence and have done well, but living outside the "employer/employee city/suburb" environment is not something I have done since I was a young single guy.

inbox485

« Reply #24 on: November 07, 2012, 10:52:06 AM »
Yes, but not on account of the ACIC election. My efftard state thinks it needs more taxes and less liberty, so I'll be prepping to mitigate that the best I can. If it becomes more convenient, I just might move to the US and be done with these ass clowns.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2012, 11:02:08 AM by TexDaddy »

Offline Fyrediver

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #25 on: November 07, 2012, 11:35:29 AM »
Sure, I'm going to go get my Obamaphone so I can save some money!!

Just kidding.

Having no faith in the retirement system(s) in which I participate, I know that I'll be unable to truly retire so I'm going back to college.  I'm going to develop a retirement job skill set for when my body is too broken for firefighting.  That's part of my long term prep.

Other than that, just continuing building supplies that I think will become more and more scarce.

Offline Doomtrooper

• Prepper
« Reply #26 on: November 07, 2012, 11:40:43 AM »
I have decided to step it up a bit, I was more surprised this morning with calls and e-mails from some close friends about where to start. Even my non-pepper sister and future brother in law woke me up this morning about what to start with, everyone know knows that the next few years are going to be tight. But on the face of it I will keep up my every day activities keeping an eye out for whatever happens to come our way.

See ya'll down range.

Offline ncjeeper

• Most Noble Order of the Garter Snake
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • Oooops!
« Reply #27 on: November 07, 2012, 11:48:00 AM »
We are just going to keep on keeping on with it.
Same here.

Offline chrisdfw

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #28 on: November 07, 2012, 12:41:18 PM »
Only to the extent that I believe Obama policies makes certain scenarios more likely. I don't think Obama or Romney or anyone can prevent an eventual collapse of the dollar, so the math doesn't change there.

I do believe Obama's environmental policies, many of which can be accomplished through  the regulatory power already granted to the EPA by congress (bypassing the republican house), will lead to higher energy prices. So I am moving up my energy efficiency improvements and solar system on the priority list. The expected electric inflation rates in my model will improve the payback calculation, so I am not doing anything in a knee-jerk reaction to the election. We get a lot our electric power from coal, and Obama is quite hostile to coal. Even if we shift to natural gas, what do you think the natural gas costs will do... rise.

Other than that, I ordered 10 AR lowers and a large order of magazines Sunday as a hedge against a lack of supply, either caused by legislation, or just plain panic buying. the price was right too.... 65 per lower, and 10 per PMAG

Offline Erigorn

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Finally joined MSB!!
« Reply #29 on: November 07, 2012, 12:57:05 PM »
Keeping the course like most have said.
Buying/Storing more food, water, etc
Will also be considering more silver and gold.
Same as I had already planned
Only real change is the guns and ammo sector may move to the top of the priority list.