Author Topic: SLAM ROD FIRE STARTER  (Read 3350 times)

Offline BrianBro

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
SLAM ROD FIRE STARTER
« on: August 09, 2012, 07:52:16 PM »
The Instructables web site always has something interesting.  Here is a novel old way to start a fire, that I have never run across before.
http://www.instructables.com/id/SLAM-ROD-FIRE-STARTER-IGNITION-BY-AIR/?&sort=ACTIVE&limit=40&offset=40

Offline Nicodemus

• HooHa Man! AKA Docs Whipping Boy
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • Wake up and smell the cat food n your bank account
Re: SLAM ROD FIRE STARTER
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2012, 08:09:04 PM »
Instructables is a great site and the fire piston project is pretty cool. I have an acrylic fire piston that was given to me as a gift a couple of years ago and it works pretty well.

Welcome to the TSP forums, BrianBro. When you get a chance, please stop by The Intro Thread and say hello to the other forum members.

Offline theBINKYhunter

• Does not fall well with plastic guns...
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • Not a tactical baddass
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2012, 11:26:39 PM »
I do like that site, lots of cool things on there.

That was pretty sweet but I'm short a few tools... guess I need to invest hundreds of dollars for a one dollar fire starter!

Offline Nicodemus

• Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2012, 09:07:00 AM »
I do like that site, lots of cool things on there.

That was pretty sweet but I'm short a few tools... guess I need to invest hundreds of dollars for a one dollar fire starter!

LOL. I was going to mention the claimed cost for the project, especially after the host got the acrylic for free, used a drill press twice and then had a tap and die set on hand,  but then I thought I'd skip it because I could go off on a rant. It's kind of a pet peeve of mine in a lot of instructional pieces that make a low cost claim, but it never includes a list of some of the equipment one has to own beforehand to produce the desired result in the cost. Granted, on the instructables site, a lot of the people there might well have access to items like drill presses and tap and die sets.

Offline heliotropicmoth

• Survivalist Mentor
  • "Nothing is troublesome that we do willingly" -TJ
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2012, 09:15:26 AM »
Wow that guy is awesome. I just subscribed to his youtube channel. I have always wanted a fire piston. Does anyone have a recommendation for a commercial fire piston?

Offline heliotropicmoth

• Survivalist Mentor
  • "Nothing is troublesome that we do willingly" -TJ
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2012, 09:19:50 AM »
OK, let me answer my own question with the magic of google. Here is a $35 model that looks pretty dependable. I will be getting one soon.

http://www.wildersol.com/Scouts.html

Offline Nicodemus

• Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2012, 09:49:59 AM »
That's very similar to the fire piston model I have.

The one thing I will tell you about the fire piston you linked versus what is shown being made in the video is that a larger surface area for you to smack your hand down on can be a lot less painful. When I was learning to use mine, I broke a blood vessel in my hand. I ended up wrapping the piston in a semi stiff leather swatch that I could fold up and hold in my smacking hand to increase the surface area of impact.

Also, a thinner tube that holds less tinder is easier to use than one with a larger diameter and thus a greater volume of air to compress. The reason I mention this is that a few being sold claim storage space to pack tinder, spare o-rings and lubricant within the tube and around the shaft. However the design makes for a larger volume of air to compress to ignite the tinder.

In the end, fire pistons kind of end up in the "cool concept and fun science to show off" category for me. A good flint and steel kit, mischmetal firesteel, matches or a lighter will serve you just as well and in most cases cost a lot less. The fire pistons need maintenance and have issues of their own. They need to lubed, the o-rings wear out, and you have to be a little dexterous to pack them with tinder and to pick out the ember, which could be a problem in the cold.

Offline Erigorn

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Finally joined MSB!!
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2012, 01:00:44 PM »
I saw this demonstrated on Man Women Wild. Pretty cool way to start a fire. Would hate to have to make one teh moment I needed it. Making it before hand would be much better.

Offline jr doyle

• Prepper
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2012, 11:24:15 AM »
i like this one and a little more reasonable on the price estimate and tools used.http://youtu.be/IJe95n9eR-c