Photobucket

Author Topic: After the election - are you changing your preps?  (Read 6101 times)

Offline FromScratchWoman

• Survivalist Mentor
  • "Never tasted store bought meat until I was 17"
    • Cold Creek Homestead
Re: After the election - are you changing your preps?
« Reply #30 on: November 07, 2012, 03:42:09 PM »
More ammo but like others have said that was already on the list just pushed up a bit.. DH and i have decided to push really hard this winter on our LTS as i don't see the cost of food dropping anytime soon but then again i tend to do that more in the winter any how.. YES it has swayed two very important people in my life my mother and father, me my DH brother-inlaw and sister are getting ready to buy a very desolate homestead(5000ft elev) we had "moral" support from my folks but as of this morn we now have financial support as well, so we our putting our BOL on the market(once we close for sure on the homestead) renting out our home come spring and taking the family very deep into the cuts..funny how much it affected me seems more drastic now that I'm typing it..
"We are buried beneath the weight of information, which is being confused with knowledge; quantity is being confused with abundance and wealth with happiness.

We are monkeys with money and guns."
-Tom Waits

http://www.youtube.com/ColdCreekHomestead
Lot's of shotty taken videos on here but they get a point across now and then!

www.ColdCreekHomestead.com
AKC Great Pyrennes Livestock Guardians
Ancona Ducks
Splash Jersey Giant chickens
And so much more!

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Cold-Creek-Homestead/198375243588171
This is my above sights Facebook page, Lots of useless info but if you look hard enough ya may like us ;)

Offline stry67

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #31 on: November 07, 2012, 05:47:00 PM »
Yea definitley pushing up buying the second batlle rifle and ammo. Food never really drops in price so what you buy today will always be higher so to speak.

Online endurance

• Dances With Newfies
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #32 on: November 07, 2012, 05:58:52 PM »
No changes for me.  I will continue to expand my garden, work toward paying off the house early (albeit slower than originally pictured when we bought it because more money is going into improving it), deepen the pantry, and maintain and improve my skills.  My wife and I are both on the path toward getting out EMTs and she'll eventually get her paramedic since it will take her only two additional weeks (she's already a CCRN).

I did have a positive conversation with a friend about prepping today, but it's more related to being single for the first time in her adult life at the age of 45 and realizing she'd been way too dependent on husbands and boyfriends her whole life.  She's interested in converting a closet into a deep pantry with some other basic prepping needs covered (talking her into a bucket for hygiene/emergency toilet, batteries, flashlights, etc.).  Off my recommendation she already got a jump box for her car and we're talking about a trip to Costco for other items soon.

Those folks who were nervous before due to the general charge in the air/feeling of impending change are even more primed than ever with Hurricane Sandy and the election.  It's a good time to bring others into the fold, regardless of the reason for their interest.
"There are things that you don't question when your home always smells like baking bread."  From The Hunger Games

“No nation could preserve its freedom in the midst of continual warfare.”   James Madison

Offline Bradbn4

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #33 on: November 07, 2012, 06:25:26 PM »
Yep -
  I am looking at more ways to save money and do some freelance work. I was hoping I had at least another two years to get everything paid off including the home, so now - that window might not be attainable. 

It's all a balancing act trying to figure out how my priority list has changed.  I might pick up a bit more reloading supplies to maximize what I have on hand can be used. 

No more gold plated turnip twaddlers, the types of preps will become more basic, more short turn on return, and to be frank, more useful. 
Brad(bn4) - In Colorado

Offline cep89

• Survivor
« Reply #34 on: November 07, 2012, 07:16:47 PM »
I think means we will have less time to get ready,  so same plan just do it faster.

Offline FrugalFannie

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Our new diesel!
    • ITS Personal Training
« Reply #35 on: November 07, 2012, 07:18:36 PM »
I think means we will have less time to get ready,  so same plan just do it faster.

My thoughts too. Doing the same stuff just a little quicker if possible.

Offline chickchoc

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #36 on: November 07, 2012, 07:24:31 PM »
My intuition had been going off for quite some time before the election so I've been working on preps consistently.  Even DH has not come around to converting more of our fiat savings into silver and a little bit of gold.  I still haven't convinced him to get a firearm although I took the CCW class last year.  My priority will be working on getting a propane generator and means of defending our homestead.

May God have mercy on all of us!

Offline The Professor

• Tactical Skittle Assassin
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • All we have to do is create another universe
« Reply #37 on: November 07, 2012, 07:40:04 PM »
Not really.  We've been prepping together for over 20 years.  We were a bit concerned about civil unrest following a Romney win, but since that didn't happen (and really wasn't expected). . .

Mainly, we're now working towards longer-term food stock.  Everything else is pretty much covered.

The Professor
On "The List" since 1994.  Isn't it about time YOU got on The List?

Yeah, that's right. . ."Professor EMERITUS!"  Now, pardon me while I show up "late" for. . .uh. . .work.

Offline ib71

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #38 on: November 07, 2012, 07:59:00 PM »
I probably go to next gun show and by a couple of AR stripped lowers.

Online FreeLancer

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #39 on: November 07, 2012, 08:29:38 PM »
I've already got more guns and ammo than any sane person in my demographic should be allowed to have.  There is probably no way a guy like me could ever become bad-ass enough to survive a battle which would exhaust my current supplies.

But I might look at moving more assets off the books, so to speak.

With no chance of Romney reversing taxmegeddon, as well as the looming fiscal cliff, I expect those beholden to the 47% will be looking at innovative ways to ensure the wife and I "pay our fair share." 
In times of change learners inherit the earth and the learned find themselves equipped for a world that no longer exists.   Eric Hoffer

Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.  Voltaire

Comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

Offline Thom

• Survivor
  • WARNING: Not suitable for public consumption
« Reply #40 on: November 08, 2012, 12:06:58 AM »
The election results, while disappointing, aren't really a surprise.  The only thing we're changing is that we're speeding up purchasing equipment for our woodworking shop so that we can get some extra income to purchase some land to work on our homestead.
I'm tired of having to filter the crazy out of the news.

Offline FrugalFannie

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Our new diesel!
    • ITS Personal Training
« Reply #41 on: November 08, 2012, 06:17:21 AM »
I've already got more guns and ammo than any sane person in my demographic should be allowed to have.  There is probably no way a guy like me could ever become bad-ass enough to survive a battle which would exhaust my current supplies.

But I might look at moving more assets off the books, so to speak.

With no chance of Romney reversing taxmegeddon, as well as the looming fiscal cliff, I expect those beholden to the 47% will be looking at innovative ways to ensure the wife and I "pay our fair share."

I know many people who arestepping up their efforts to 'Go Galt.'

Offline LibertyBelle

• Munches with goats...
  • Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #42 on: November 08, 2012, 01:01:51 PM »
The election has had no bearing on my prepping goals for the future. I'd be just as determined as ever, regardless of who got in.

Offline oktheniknow

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #43 on: November 08, 2012, 01:09:55 PM »
Doom and gloom is a weak position to mentally put yourself in so be positive instead.

Same course for me as before, not a big deal.

We will muddle through. Things will happen, just at a faster speed. It would help my mental state though if I could go for a spin in your car....

Offline osubuckeye4

• Survivalist Mentor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #44 on: November 08, 2012, 02:08:51 PM »
Only adjustment I am making is that I'm pulling all of my money out of the stock market.

I had already pulled most of it out, but kept a bit in Intel stock (strictly because of the dividend they paid out)

With the increased taxiation on dividends set to go into effect, it makes way more sense to pull out of the market entirely right now

I will most likely put half of this money into a money market account (for the liquidity) and the other half into silver (as a hedge).

The other nice thing about the election result is that my wife is freaking out and now is gung-ho about prepping. This will make things much easier.  :)

Offline TXChikk

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Lovely
    • Foxy Flair
« Reply #45 on: November 08, 2012, 04:57:59 PM »
Our only uptick in supplies will be the ammo department but all else remains the same. We are also going to ramp up paying down debt (we're building) once the dust settles on the homestead but that was already a plan. Several acquaintances and loved ones have come to us with a 'prepping' mentality as if it just registered with them that they need to do something. I agree that nothing would have changed with a new president except maybe a spirit of false hope but many around me seem to just now be waking up. I'll accept them and try to help in a wise way so as not to discourage. Interesting development though.....
BJ

Offline Griz

• Prepper
« Reply #46 on: November 08, 2012, 11:14:35 PM »
Just ramping up preps more.  Wife is on board 110%.

Need to do things that have been on my "to do list" but not acted on yet.

Now have more mental clarity to finally do the things I have only been thinking about.......

Offline flippydidit

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Keep 'em shooting!
« Reply #47 on: November 08, 2012, 11:47:05 PM »
Only to the extent that I believe Obama policies makes certain scenarios more likely. I don't think Obama or Romney or anyone can prevent an eventual collapse of the dollar, so the math doesn't change there.

I do believe Obama's environmental policies, many of which can be accomplished through  the regulatory power already granted to the EPA by congress (bypassing the republican house), will lead to higher energy prices. So I am moving up my energy efficiency improvements and solar system on the priority list. The expected electric inflation rates in my model will improve the payback calculation, so I am not doing anything in a knee-jerk reaction to the election. We get a lot our electric power from coal, and Obama is quite hostile to coal. Even if we shift to natural gas, what do you think the natural gas costs will do... rise.

Other than that, I ordered 10 AR lowers and a large order of magazines Sunday as a hedge against a lack of supply, either caused by legislation, or just plain panic buying. the price was right too.... 65 per lower, and 10 per PMAG

Where did you get the lowers?  Do they have more at that price?
Nate
Military/civilian gunsmith/machinist
CEO and Founder of PermEscapes
PermEscapes
PermEscapes on Facebook

"One of these centuries, the brutes, private or public, who believe that they can rule their betters by force, will learn the lesson of what happens when brute force encounters mind and force."
— Ragnar Danneskjöld, from Atlas Shrugged (Ayn Rand)

Offline Bob Spelled Backwards

• Survivor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #48 on: November 09, 2012, 05:35:51 AM »
We will muddle through. Things will happen, just at a faster speed. It would help my mental state though if I could go for a spin in your car....

If I physically owned this car ,  I would happily let you take it for a spin.  Since I only own it mentally , we could both drive it all that we want and it won't cost us a dime.   ;D

Offline chrisdfw

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #49 on: November 09, 2012, 06:16:41 PM »
Where did you get the lowers?  Do they have more at that price?

www.rguns.net for the lowers, they list as in stock.

I haven't received mine at my FFL yet, but they finally charged my card Wednesday, so I expect they just shipped Thursday or Today. There was a delay in my FFL sending a copy and they only recieved it wednesday even though I ordered sunday.

I've been meaning to get more lowers for some builds anyway, so this is in no way stocking up more than I would have otherwise bought, just a change in timing. I don't suggest anyone doing anything without forethought.

Offline amtank

• Prepper
« Reply #50 on: November 10, 2012, 07:19:41 PM »
Keep my head down, get out of the debt stocks. Keep up my rations... I am also going to work on some fuel storage. My estimates were off slightly on the distance I could travel in my car to my BOL.

Result, not at all that different than before.

Offline snickers

• Survivor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #51 on: November 11, 2012, 07:37:55 PM »
I agree with everyone who feels like we're screwed with Romney or Obama :) The only think I'm changing specifically because of Obama's reelection is that I'm focusing on obtaining more firearms/ammo before more restrictions are added. He hasn't talked much (that I have noticed) about banning firearms in any capacity, but you never know. If anything it's Sandy that's really reinforced needing to have preps in the car and extra food on hand.

Offline SteveInTx

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #52 on: November 11, 2012, 07:46:24 PM »
I finally got a job, so, yes.  I am going to get back on track.

Offline FrugalFannie

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Our new diesel!
    • ITS Personal Training
« Reply #53 on: November 11, 2012, 08:13:58 PM »
I finally got a job, so, yes.  I am going to get back on track.

awesome!

Offline Chemsoldier

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #54 on: November 11, 2012, 09:33:42 PM »
Not really.  Just so I dont take a bath during the short term price spike I have halted all firearms and ammunition related purchases.  It is really for the best, I have a lot of ancillary firearms related purchases (gear, holsters, optics) to catch up on as well as plenty of food, shelter, energy preps to do.  No changes, just re-racking and stacking the priority tags on the preps.

"You can always count on Americans to do the right thing, after they've tried everything else"
-Winston Churchill

"You think health care is expensive now? Wait until its free!"
-P.J. O'Rourke

Offline NWPilgrim

• Dedicated Contributor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #55 on: November 12, 2012, 02:50:49 PM »
I know many people who are stepping up their efforts to 'Go Galt.'

That is my latest plan.  Not to actually go Galt permanently, but to start setting up a very cheap retreat/BOL to where I could go an live for practically nothing if the worst came along (loss of high tech job and depressed economy making it unlikely I would find a job allowing us to stay nin our house).

I was inspired by this guy (Solar Cabin):
http://simplesolarhomesteading.com/

He has some videos, and a really great book that covers EVERYTHING.  I am inspired, now I have to get some action going.  Priorities this year are to find some cheap land that is suitable, and a cheap old truck that I can rebuild (like a 80s Ford F-150 4WD).
There have always been times like this, and there will be again. Will we rise to the challenges or get run over?

Offline 16onRockandRoll

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Prepper Wannabe
« Reply #56 on: November 13, 2012, 12:11:55 AM »
A little more urgency. My wife is coming more on board (doesn't even blink when I throw extra stuff in the cart at costco now, even adds a few things "just in case") and I might justify an AR lower that I wouldnt have before. Started picking up a little bit of ammo when I'm at work at the gun store, and lit a fire under the debt paydown. Nothing huge, just enhanced everything a little. And the wife is interested when I show her properties up the hill in the trees now. :)
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."
—Jeff Cooper, The Art of the Rifle

Offline thefuzz1290

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #57 on: November 13, 2012, 04:00:56 AM »
I'm not worried about gun control, especially since it won't pass with the Republicans still controlling the house. I'm worried about "bullet control." Obama can affect the price of ammunition through regulation. That being said, I'm trying ramp up my ammo storage.

Offline Roundabouts

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #58 on: November 13, 2012, 06:31:38 AM »
Flip that spouse?  Elect obama as president.   :rofl:  see he's good for something.  ;)
There is no $50 job that I can't do without a $100 worth of new tools.

Offline Roundabouts

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #59 on: November 13, 2012, 06:36:35 AM »
That is my latest plan.  Not to actually go Galt permanently, but to start setting up a very cheap retreat/BOL to where I could go an live for practically nothing if the worst came along (loss of high tech job and depressed economy making it unlikely I would find a job allowing us to stay nin our house).

I was inspired by this guy (Solar Cabin):
http://simplesolarhomesteading.com/

He has some videos, and a really great book that covers EVERYTHING.  I am inspired, now I have to get some action going.  Priorities this year are to find some cheap land that is suitable, and a cheap old truck that I can rebuild (like a 80s Ford F-150 4WD).

Was wondering if you got his book?  If so how was it? 
There is no $50 job that I can't do without a $100 worth of new tools.