Author Topic: TSP disaster response  (Read 9296 times)

Offline Mr. Bill

• Like a hot cocoa mojito
  • Administrator
  • Ultimate Survival Veteran
  • Trained Attack Sheepdog/Troll hunter
    • Website maintenance services by Mr. Bill
Re: TSP disaster response
« Reply #60 on: November 12, 2012, 09:24:07 PM »
Could we get a voting or check box thing for this thread were we could start listing ours skills and equipment?

I'm not sure how we'd do that with the "poll" function here -- seems like there would be hundreds of possible items, and new ones being thought up by every person who posts.

Online Hootie

• Written Word Wrangler
  • Dedicated Contributor
  • Just another day gardening in zone 5a.
    • Frozen Gardener
« Reply #61 on: November 12, 2012, 09:41:11 PM »
I'm not sure how we'd do that with the "poll" function here -- seems like there would be hundreds of possible items, and new ones being thought up by every person who posts.

maybe it is time for a 2nd thread, and let the list stabilize...
Where should i put it?
Emergency Preparations  or Regional boards
"Don't be afraid, just be informed"
"If you live your life around what your neighbors think, you'll do nothing except mow your lawn." -Steven Harris Ep726

Offline joeinwv

• The Bee Whisperer
  • Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #62 on: November 12, 2012, 09:50:48 PM »
I kinda fall into the wet blanket category the professor mentioned... a couple of simple scenarios that show the danger in this situation:

1. Show up and hand out some snacks. Kid eats a granola bar, has peanut allergy, goes into shock. Do you have an epi pen?

2. When you have a tired / hungry group and start handing out food, etc - it can very quickly turn into a riot as people are not always patient. How do you protect the supplies and the volunteers?

3. In situation like Sandy, where you can't get food, lodging or fuel - is the unit self sufficient and do you have the resources to support operations. What is resupply strategy. How long can you be on station before you have to leave.

Online Hootie

• Written Word Wrangler
  • Dedicated Contributor
    • Frozen Gardener
« Reply #63 on: November 12, 2012, 10:21:52 PM »
I kinda fall into the wet blanket category the professor mentioned... a couple of simple scenarios that show the danger in this situation:

1. Show up and hand out some snacks. Kid eats a granola bar, has peanut allergy, goes into shock. Do you have an epi pen?

2. When you have a tired / hungry group and start handing out food, etc - it can very quickly turn into a riot as people are not always patient. How do you protect the supplies and the volunteers?

3. In situation like Sandy, where you can't get food, lodging or fuel - is the unit self sufficient and do you have the resources to support operations. What is resupply strategy. How long can you be on station before you have to leave.

Ok, to dry out this blanket. How other people handle this, like the Red Cross?

Maybe we don't have to setup distribution points, maybe we can help one house at a time.
"If you live your life around what your neighbors think, you'll do nothing except mow your lawn." -Steven Harris Ep726

Offline rikkrack

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Permaculture Entrepreneur
    • Wolf-Beach Farms
« Reply #64 on: November 13, 2012, 06:29:26 AM »
Why are we continuing to point out why things won't work. This is part of the problems with how response groups fail now. Too many people thinking what could go wrong, what if, and no actions.

Virtually every food items that is mfg with peanuts or in the same facility have to be labeled. Something the government has done for us in this case. Most people who have allergies read the label first and know of their allergies. I didn't force someone to eat the granola bar. It is their choice.

How many food riots have there been in the disaster areas recently? You could have a riot tomorrow because one reason or another. Because a court decision didn't go the way a group thought it should. You could get hit by a plane falling from the sky so better not leave your bunker. You may fall on the wet floor of your bunker so don't get out of bed. There may be risks. But is it not Mad Max end of world.

Most of us on here know out limits and capabilities. When you go to the store do you pack enough food, water, and fuel for everyone in the store? When you go to work do you pack food for everyone there? You plan accordingly. If I don't have enough fuel to go 200 mile, I don't go 200 miles. I go as far as I can safely and return to fuel source. If I have enough water and food for 2 days, I only go 2 days before going back for supplies. Like camping. I don't try and hike the Appalachian trail on 1 day worth of food. You plan and make adjustments. 

When we stop putting obstacles in our way we can focus on progress not all of the scary things that could be, may be, what if's are out there.

If people want to keep putting up obstacles as far as things to look out for, have at least two options to overcome them. Otherwise you are just throwing turd bombs to those that want to look to the better side of things. I see the point of looking to the hurdles, and plan for them, but stop expecting them.

This is going to be a great endeavor, I would like to be on the wagon and part of it. Are there things that need to be addressed? Yes. Is it worth doing? Yes. Are there obstacles that would keep it from moving forward? No. For every obstacle there are 4 ways to deal with it, around it, though it etc.  Does that mean we should stop moving forward? HELL NO.

If you are treading water in the middle of the lake, you cannot see land in any direction. Would you swim in a direction? Or would you sit and continue to tread debating and second guessing what to do. Moving in a direction is better than doing nothing. At least you have a chance by taking imitative and doing something.
www.wolfbeachfarms.com

Co-Founder and Educator at www.midwestsustainable.org

Aquaponics/Permaculture Entrepreneur

"You have a moral obligation to screw the government every chance you can." G-pa Wolf

Offline Artos

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Ride life bareback
    • CPT Caveman's Cave
« Reply #65 on: November 13, 2012, 07:44:41 AM »
Apparently the Occupy folks are on the ball with this one:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/daniel-marans/occupy-sandy-volunteers_b_2101396.html

"As a result, Occupy Sandy's size, sophistication and critical role in disaster relief now rivals that of a major NGO in a developing country. It has filled the void left by the government in providing and orchestrating relief from the storm's most disadvantaged. On the rare occasions when other aid groups show up, Moed says, "They have been answering to Occupy Sandy, because Occupy Sandy is the only group of people consistently on the ground.""

http://cptcaveman.wordpress.com/

Best curse ever: May the full horror of your actions be revealed to you.

...whose only purpose is to right all wrongs, to make strong the weak, mend the broken, vanquish the proud and make powerless those who abuse the frail.

My Orders

My orders are to fight;
Then if I bleed, or fail,
Or strongly win, what matters it?
God only doth prevail.

The servant craveth naught
Except to serve with might.
I was not told to win or lose,–
My orders are to fight.

~ Ethelwyn Wetherald

Offline Nicodemus

• HooHa Man! AKA Docs Whipping Boy
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
  • Wake up and smell the cat food n your bank account
« Reply #66 on: November 13, 2012, 07:51:02 AM »
I think that some of these issues need to be raised, even if they are considered to be negative. It's simply the smart thing to do. I'll take into consideration any wise words, but it's not going to stop me before I even get a chance to try. I don't think anyone is offering any advice in such a way as an attempt to stop this from happening.

Any time we step off our own property, or for that matter allow someone to come onto our property, we're putting ourselves into a situation where we can be sued by someone. We could mitigate some of that problem by only leaving our property when it's absolutely necessary, not allowing anyone to cross the boundaries of our property and by contracting our lives and what we think we should or want to do.

If you live your life that way, that's fine.

That's not the life for me though. I give out Snicker Bars for Halloween, give away food that I grow in my garden, participate in community events where I cook food and take it to be shared, help out the neighbors when they need a hand and participate in a lot of other events that might be deemed "risky" by some standards.

I'm not going to voluntarily restrict my liberty or fail to do what I think might be necessary out of the fear of being sued.

Offline Adam B.

• Dedicated Contributor
    • The Uncomfortable Truth
« Reply #67 on: November 13, 2012, 08:43:35 AM »
All of the concerns along the lines of "Can't hand out food to starving people because someone might have a peanut allergy" / "Too afraid of getting sued for trying to help people" etc etc just proves how degenerated our society has become.

Since when is it MY responsibility to know whether some kid has a peanut allergy or not? Maybe the parents could NOT FEED THEM TO THEIR KID??? And yeah, in the event you have a child too young to know any better, and who's parents are nowhere to be found, I can see that being a factor to consider. So I guess you let the child starve because you don't know what he/she is allergic too then. That is pretty much what FEMA does when they come to town right?

I am not saying those aren't valid concerns when it comes to the reality of creating such an organization.

I read Jack's article someone posted above, and I am not trying to be too negative. I think the only reason people are even bringing up those points is because society has already shown us that people who try and help are pretty much risking not only their own lives, but their financial security and freedom should they live through it!

FOR EXAMPLE

Just last week — some dumb ass mother was letting her child stand on top of a fence at the zoo above a pit of wild African dogs. GEEE — wouldn't you know it, but the child FELL OFF of the fence and into the pit full of wild dogs, and the child was subsequently eaten by them.

NOT ONE PERSON — including the child's mother bothered to do ANYTHING to try and help this poor child. NOT ONE SINGLE PERSON.

When the zoo workers showed up, they stood off in the distance banging on sticks and making noise trying to scare the dogs off. When the POLICE SHOWED UP — the only thing they did was shoot one of the dogs.

Now tell me 20 years ago, that NOBODY would have tried to save this child????? PLEASE!!!

THE ENTIRE CROWD just stood around screaming and yelling for the police to show up!!!!

THIS IS HOW RIDICULOUS OUR SOCIETY HAS BECOME.

People are AFRAID to help someone in need, even a defenseless child being eaten by a pack of wild dogs at the zoo because they are now conditioned that the AUTHORITIES ARE THE ONLY ONES WHO CAN HELP YOU.

This society is by and large full of degenerates — but I am glad there are SOME people out there who still want to do good things for others.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2012, 08:50:06 AM by Adam B. »
Listen to my podcast — The Uncomfortable Truth
(shameless plug)
http://www.theuncomfortabletruth.com

Offline livinitup0

• Survivalist Mentor
  • confrontational by design
« Reply #68 on: November 13, 2012, 09:02:33 AM »
"This society is by and large full of degenerates — but I am glad there are SOME people out there who still want to do good things for others."

big +1

...and im stealing this for my sig line

Offline Artos

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Ride life bareback
    • CPT Caveman's Cave
« Reply #69 on: November 13, 2012, 10:26:19 AM »
Here is the other side of the equation that must be taken into account:

http://www.wftv.com/news/news/local/lakeland-man-beaten-ny-after-helping-restore-power/nS5L7/

"NEW YORK —

WFTV learned that a Lakeland man, who went to New York to help get the power back on after Hurricane Sandy, ended up being attacked by a frustrated resident.

John Applewhite, 34, said he came back to Florida with a black eye, a broken jaw and several small fractures."

http://cptcaveman.wordpress.com/

Best curse ever: May the full horror of your actions be revealed to you.

...whose only purpose is to right all wrongs, to make strong the weak, mend the broken, vanquish the proud and make powerless those who abuse the frail.

My Orders

My orders are to fight;
Then if I bleed, or fail,
Or strongly win, what matters it?
God only doth prevail.

The servant craveth naught
Except to serve with might.
I was not told to win or lose,–
My orders are to fight.

~ Ethelwyn Wetherald

Offline Adam B.

• Dedicated Contributor
    • The Uncomfortable Truth
« Reply #70 on: November 13, 2012, 10:38:06 AM »
"He said the man fled the scene in a BMW."

WOW... As if someone driving around in a BMW (granted, it wasn't stolen from someone else he previously beat up) — can't afford to buy a generator — not to mention that with some adapters his BMW could serve as a generator in a pinch.

Another observation about the whole "peanut allergy" scenario.

Hypothetically speaking, if Planters Peanuts came to a disaster scene and donated 20 semi-trucks full of PEANUTS to disaster victims, would FEMA turn them away because a kid might have a peanut allergy, or would they throw away the peanuts for the same reason? Or would Planters get sued for 10 million dollars because some dumb ass parents fed their kids the free peanuts and they died from a peanut allergy?

You can yell at me for steering this thread way off topic — I am just way too cynical for my own good sometimes!
Listen to my podcast — The Uncomfortable Truth
(shameless plug)
http://www.theuncomfortabletruth.com

Offline microdevil45

• Survivor
  • Never Give Up...
« Reply #71 on: November 13, 2012, 04:52:59 PM »
Being from florida, and working for the same company this lineman does I found out about this today in an email sent out to us from our Manager.  Sad, sad, sad.

Online Hootie

• Written Word Wrangler
  • Dedicated Contributor
    • Frozen Gardener
« Reply #72 on: November 13, 2012, 08:13:43 PM »
For IDs, maybe we could use QR bar codes that and Official / LEO could scan using a smart phone. the QR code could contain a web adress that would send them to a TSP website. or even a profile page.

just an idea...

Offline rikkrack

• Dedicated Contributor
    • Wolf-Beach Farms
« Reply #73 on: November 13, 2012, 08:28:02 PM »
The QR code can give LEO or other responding agency our intro without giving name rage for acerage joe to sue or have other issues by having name tàgs.

Great idea
www.wolfbeachfarms.com

"You have a moral obligation to screw the government every chance you can." G-pa Wolf

Offline indysafe317

• Fledgling Prepper
    • We Prepare Now
« Reply #74 on: November 13, 2012, 10:54:31 PM »
Been listening to the shows and this sounds like it has some potential.  I'm in Indy, same group as Rickkrack and a few others and we have access to allot of people who would probably be interested.  I'll help in whatever is needed.

I've been a local firefighter for over 20 years, have been a member of Task Force One here in Indy, prior military and run a Safety Training Company.  I've got all the NIMS certs and have allot of experience with Incident Command.  It's definitely not rocket science and can help in whatever way is needed. As many have pointed out, the lower levels are offered online and I have some resources for the 300 and 400 levels if it's needed but I don't know that level would be important for this group at least starting up.

We could definitely provide free training for CPR and First Aid for team members once it gets started up.  We charge for classes to the general public but can work out some special classes for team members that are free and cover a little more than the basics.   I agree with Jack in the theory that I don't think CPR and First Aid should necessarily be mandatory for all volunteers.  There are allot of skill-sets that will be needed that have nothing to do with medical. Honestly, allot of those needs will be filled already by first responders but it does add some "false sense of credibility" to those of us that work in Government, ie.. fire, police and so on.   :)  We love those TPS reports.   ;)

We can easily get those credentials knocked out in this area if it's needed, but I'm up for serving food, being the medical guy, just digging sandbags for a local response or whatever is needed, just let me know, I'm in.  Been looking for a reason to practice my new Ham radio skills.  What better way to learn than to practice with a group.  Count me in.

Offline rikkrack

• Dedicated Contributor
    • Wolf-Beach Farms
« Reply #75 on: November 14, 2012, 09:29:05 AM »
Any thought go to the international listeners? I kinda overlooked that part of things.

Anyone non-US listeners/contributors have any thoughts? I know from the show and posts folks in Canada, Australia, Greece, etc.
www.wolfbeachfarms.com

Offline Oniwaban

• Prepper
  • Old enough to know better, young enough to do it.
Update for the community.
« Reply #76 on: November 16, 2012, 08:18:28 PM »
We currently have 17 "Honchos" assembled, with more trickling in. Each and every one with with an extremely impressive background. We are ironing out the details for the formation of "The Survival Podcast Disaster Response Team". The experience and training these people have represents collectively thousands, if not tens of thousands of hours of training and real world experience working in disasters. These folks definitely have "the right stuff" to get the job done.
Wanted to keep this thread alive and keep everyone up to date. Thanks everyone for your support.
Plan for the worst, hope for the best.

Offline Nicodemus

• HooHa Man! AKA Docs Whipping Boy
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
  • Wake up and smell the cat food n your bank account
Re: Update for the community.
« Reply #77 on: November 17, 2012, 07:29:34 AM »
We currently have 17 "Honchos" assembled, with more trickling in. Each and every one with with an extremely impressive background. We are ironing out the details for the formation of "The Survival Podcast Disaster Response Team". The experience and training these people have represents collectively thousands, if not tens of thousands of hours of training and real world experience working in disasters. These folks definitely have "the right stuff" to get the job done.
Wanted to keep this thread alive and keep everyone up to date. Thanks everyone for your support.

That's great, Oni! Thanks for the update!

Online Hootie

• Written Word Wrangler
  • Dedicated Contributor
    • Frozen Gardener
Re: Update for the community.
« Reply #78 on: November 17, 2012, 06:28:13 PM »

great to hear.
let us know if we can do anything to help (research, gather data, bake cookies, etc..  )

Offline Oniwaban

• Prepper
  • Old enough to know better, young enough to do it.
« Reply #79 on: November 17, 2012, 07:11:56 PM »
What! You stopped baking cookies? Cookies always help everything!
Plan for the worst, hope for the best.

Offline FrugalFannie

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Our new diesel!
    • ITS Personal Training
« Reply #80 on: November 17, 2012, 07:59:14 PM »
What! You stopped baking cookies? Cookies always help everything!

Maybe 8 years ago we had a massive ice storm. All of New England lost power for 5-35 days. The first night we stayed at home,the second night it was too cold and we stayed with friends. By the third night we had a choice between a shelter (ugh!) and driving over an hour to see if we could stay with relatives. Luckily we ran into someone who wasn't as stressed and ended up with a hotel reservation that night. Super expensive but less stress than te alternatives. We ended up staying 3 nights I believe. As we were checking in the we learned that the hotel allowed dogs (WOW! Talk about fantastic!) and they gave us fresh baked cookies when we checked in. Those were BY FAR the best cookies ever. Thy were warm and comforting and made us feel that everything would be alright. And I'm not even much of a cookie eater. But that day, cookies helped a ton.

We bought a generator the next week!

Offline mnotlyon

• Prepper
« Reply #81 on: November 19, 2012, 11:26:43 AM »
I know the drt isn't ready for volunteers yet, but I'm ready to move. Here's what I can offer to the team:

My wife and I, plus a team of 7 more members from our church just became Emergency Medical Responders (EMR) licensed in Missouri. We will be doing more training for a similar team started in our small church.

CCW for my wife and I (means we've had a back ground check)

I have 2000 sq feet of warehouse space available (not heated or air conditioned) with a forklift for loading and unloading.
F700 with drop sides that can respond within 150 miles
Chevy Yukon that seats 8 plus a camper that sleeps 10 while on deployment (respond within 500 miles)
Chainsaw and related gear and training
10 foot covered trailer for supplies
12 foot 7000 lb flat trailer
180 gallons of gasoline that can be easily mobile (would need to be replaced when used)
Business credit card with large credit limit to buy supplies in route (would need reimbursed)

Offline idelphic

• I Zgjuari I Dynjasë
  • Dedicated Contributor
  • Theoretical Conceptualist - Avatar by Ada
« Reply #82 on: November 19, 2012, 01:03:07 PM »
Here is the other side of the equation that must be taken into account:

http://www.wftv.com/news/news/local/lakeland-man-beaten-ny-after-helping-restore-power/nS5L7/

"NEW YORK —

WFTV learned that a Lakeland man, who went to New York to help get the power back on after Hurricane Sandy, ended up being attacked by a frustrated resident.

John Applewhite, 34, said he came back to Florida with a black eye, a broken jaw and several small fractures."

This is sad..  And uncalled for. Such a shame.

But it brings to light something that might be of interest to have - Camera and Audio recording.  If something were to happen - like this - video could go a long way in proving one side or the other, or even apprehension of the assailant.
In some cultures, I'm considered Normal.
Has no life - lives on TSP-F

I am not inflatable, so stop trying to blow me up. - Goatdog

Friend: "if anyone can make it work its you bro." Me: "Yea,..Pass the duct tape."

Offline microdevil45

• Survivor
  • Never Give Up...
« Reply #83 on: November 19, 2012, 07:29:05 PM »
This is sad..  And uncalled for. Such a shame.

But it brings to light something that might be of interest to have - Camera and Audio recording.  If something were to happen - like this - video could go a long way in proving one side or the other, or even apprehension of the assailant.
Great idea!  Just like a dash cam on patrol cars.  Just maybe a couple more pointing in a couple of directions. 

Offline "Top" W. Kone

• Survivor
  • 1SG for an HHC in the USAR
    • Busy Poor Dad
« Reply #84 on: November 25, 2012, 08:07:55 PM »
Since Jack's idea is "Citizens helping Citizens" the DRT will be more adaptable to the needs on the ground. I'm sure that it will be small at the start and will go mostly un-noticed by the Big Gov.  Later, and i'm sure no one interested in the DRT will feel otherwise, it will work with the Unified Command as long as it does not mean sitting on a staging area for three days cooling heals. 

It will remain flexible, and logically not try to replace the Red Cross or FEMA in a disaster.  And to be honest, every disaster has areas that get neglected or over looked.  Those small towns at the end of the power lines that are not a priority for the power companies.  And why should they be? you have a city of 50k you can get up and running or a town of 900.  Who would you focus on first if your the power company.

This is where the DRT can have a lot of "bang for the buck".  We are not going to field 100,000 responders. (yet)  But a small group of 10 DRT rolling into a 'forgotten' town will be well received and responded to favorably. 

One area the DRT will have an advantage with is that we are more likely to have someone in the TSP audience in the area who can give us a heads up of areas not being helped by the big groups/government.  Between Zello, the forum and Jack, we have some interesting information flow in the TSP community that can be exploited by the DRT
The next five minutes will be stupid question hour.

Offline Sarey

• Survivor
« Reply #85 on: November 26, 2012, 02:21:08 PM »

I’ve been thinking that once the DRT is more organized. Perhaps there could be a listing made of trainings that would benefit or help others be of benefit to the DRT?

Where can those who don’t have skills learn some? This would be another great way to piggy back onto Jack’s 13 in 13 idea.

CPR-1st Aid, EMT, etc.

I’m sure there are members of the community that know of other skills and or trainings people could take that would be useful.

If this isn’t a good forum for this please feel free to move it.

Sarey
I tell ye true, liberty is the best of all things; never live beneath the noose of a servile halter.²
    - William Wallace, Address to the Scots, circa 1300

Offline liftsboxes

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Quit Whining
« Reply #86 on: November 26, 2012, 02:23:16 PM »
I'm in and have several local friends and co-conspirators who are interested as well.

Offline tkrabec

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
    • My computer company
« Reply #87 on: November 26, 2012, 03:00:34 PM »
I've talked to a local Chief of police who attends our local ASIS chapter meetings.  I was asking him how the TSP DR unit would go about coordinating with local officials & get the "in" before disasters.  I'm working on trying to figure out who we need to talk to here in FL, I will pass any info I manage to wrangle up.
-- Tkrabec

Offline microdevil45

• Survivor
  • Never Give Up...
« Reply #88 on: November 26, 2012, 09:43:45 PM »
I've talked to a local Chief of police who attends our local ASIS chapter meetings.  I was asking him how the TSP DR unit would go about coordinating with local officials & get the "in" before disasters.  I'm working on trying to figure out who we need to talk to here in FL, I will pass any info I manage to wrangle up.

Tkrabec where abouts are you located? I'm in Florida.

Offline CrunchDog

• Survivor
  • For my wife, for my daughter, for our life.
« Reply #89 on: November 27, 2012, 02:01:36 AM »
I don't know how far along this process is, but I just listened to the episode about the TSP DRT this morning on the way to work. While I wont be able to respond as of now because I'm stationed in Germany, I am willing to help out anyway I can from my end.

I'm certified in
FEMA's Incident Managment Systems 100, 200, 700 and IS 800.
I'm a Firefighter, so all those certs we have can probably be of use.

and what I can help with from my end is Readiness. I've maintained and created Deployment folders for the Fire Dept. Ones we keep to verifiy our deployment capabilities. So anything I can do to help just let me know.

Don't know who's in charge, but if you need to get a hold of me you can PM me.