Author Topic: Prepearing for my first AR build.  (Read 672 times)

Offline hawk5000

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
Prepearing for my first AR build.
« on: November 08, 2012, 04:28:46 PM »
So I have decided I am going to build my first AR from the ground up. This seems like the best way to learn the platform in and out. I have a couple question as i get started.

I am shopping for the lower to kick of this project, I am looking at  Mega Arms lowers. I am from the Seattle area and I like to shop locally.

Can anyone give me a good reason not to go with this brand lower?

I plan for this rifle to get allot of use so I am considering the billet model instead of the forged model. is the extra money worth it?

I recently broke my wrist and realized what a liability this type of injury would be during SHTF situation. this has me thinking about building an ambi. AR. Is this logical or just a wast of money?

Offline mikem

• Survivalist Mentor
  • ¿por qué so serious?
Re: Prepearing for my first AR build.
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2012, 06:00:23 PM »
I personally like getting the upper/lower combo from the same manufacturer - tighter tolerances.

In regards to ambi, it can only help, especially if you start doing any sort of tactical training. Lots of transitioning from strong to weak side when clearing corners, shooting from cover, etc. Plus as you mentioned, if you're ever injured or have to give your rifle to someone who shoots lefty (like me!), it would be an advantage.

Offline Bradbn4

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2012, 07:12:49 PM »
So I have decided I am going to build my first AR from the ground up. This seems like the best way to learn the platform in and out. I have a couple question as i get started.

I am shopping for the lower to kick of this project, I am looking at  Mega Arms lowers. I am from the Seattle area and I like to shop locally.

I plan for this rifle to get allot of use so I am considering the billet model instead of the forged model. is the extra money worth it?

I recently broke my wrist and realized what a liability this type of injury would be during SHTF situation. this has me thinking about building an ambi. AR. Is this logical or just a wast of money?

The Mega Arms ambi would be highly recommended in a forged or billet model.  I like the looks of the billet model "more better" than almost anyone else hardware.    Right now I screwed up and missed out on the Rainer ambi matched set.  While I think the billet is worth the extra money - it's mostly due to style.  Also Mega Arms billet h/w is a bit more beefier so there is no real down side to it being "weaker" because it's not forged.

The forged upper will fit on a billet lower without it looking too missed matched. 
Brad(bn4) - In Colorado

Offline Torch

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2012, 07:55:53 PM »

Nope, they make good stuff.  I don't own one personally but hear nothing but good things.

Since this is your first AR-15 build I highly recommend This book.  I realize that there are online guides but I really benefited from having a book to help me along.

Good luck.

Offline flippydidit

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Keep 'em shooting!
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2012, 09:59:17 PM »
I'd agree with the previous recommendations.  Are you piecing the rifle together (not buying complete receivers)?  I personally have built high end and bargain basement rifles.  In my professional opinion, you don't get much more for the money you spend.  Mil-spec is mil-spec.  With that in mind, you can save a lot of money if you buy smart.  I order most of my parts from www.sherluk.com.  I have no affiliation with this company other than being a satisfied customer.  Here is a picture of one of the rifles (one of two) that has $550 into it (with the sights).

Have fun with your build!  If you have any technical questions, just ask.  There are many members here that are all happy to assist.  Be careful though, once the bug bites this won't be your last build.
Nate
Military/civilian gunsmith/machinist
PermEscapes
PermEscapes on Facebook
Frontier Tactical
Frontier Tactical on Facebook

"One of these centuries, the brutes, private or public, who believe that they can rule their betters by force, will learn the lesson of what happens when brute force encounters mind and force."
— Ragnar Danneskjöld, from Atlas Shrugged (Ayn Rand)

Offline Griz

• Prepper
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2012, 11:10:32 PM »
I built mine with the help of the videos from ITS Tactical.  Don't have to use what they recommend, the videos helped alot for each step.  Just my 2 cents worth.

Offline hawk5000

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2012, 04:31:54 PM »
Nope, they make good stuff.  I don't own one personally but hear nothing but good things.

Since this is your first AR-15 build I highly recommend This book.  I realize that there are online guides but I really benefited from having a book to help me along.

Good luck.

Thanks for the book recommendation. I will pick up a copy.

Offline Bradbn4

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2012, 06:16:10 PM »
Another source for info is

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/lid=11004/learn/

They do have a nice video (free) to watch.  The real DVD has a bit better presentation and is easier to freeze and resume.  Also on AR-15.com I did find a very good detail way to assemble your lower in the Spike's tactical forum.   http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_2_282/186316_New_and_Improved_Guide_to_Building_a_Lower.html

I liked the Spike's version for the lower because it was easier to group the parts and they had an optional method to capture some of the detentes under the grip and buffer tube. 

Spike has never offered the threading option on stripped receivers, just the ones they build up in their shop. 
Brad(bn4) - In Colorado